Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manusky's defensive scheme [Merge]

bluephantom87

What is the identity of this defense? Is it now a bend but don't break type? Glad to see the RARE safety blitz dialed up by the dc to get a sack on Brady. The Colt defense dropped one spot in league rankings to 29th overall after Sunday night's game. I thought they played better (especially the d-line) against the Pats holding them UNDER 40pts by 6 this go round. Saying that in itself means this team has a long way to go to be considered elite. I don't understand why Greg didn't attack the Pats 3rd string ot by overloading that side with some timed periodic blitzes. Greg's version of the 3-4 is too passive and is now asking the press man to man corners to run a soft zone in which opposing qbs are attacking the open spots with success. Injuries at corner initially forced the Colts to play zone yet they continue to run the puzzling soft coverage with the secondary now intact. Going forward I think some fans have settled for moral victories and mediocrity for this talented yet underachieving team capable of beating anyone. The Colts are now 3-3 and some could argue they SHOULD be 1-5.. All three wins came against the pitiful division teams who by the way are ALL below .500 but don't worry because of that the Colts sit alone as KINGS of the afc south!!! :facepalm:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The zone has got to go. Period. 

I said the same thing last night! Why were Mathis and Newsome lined up over the RT when they have a 3rd string LT in there!?? Complete and utter oversight by Manusky (per usual) 

Also, what kind of garbage is called when we are dropping our DE's (namely Cole on a WR) into coverage? Hell, even that * Collinsworth could see that. 

I believe it was the game plan to take the Pats short passes away, at least that's what the talking heads on TV said.

I too was annoyed with the Pats zone coverage and not blitzing enough, But that said I was pleased with only 14 points through most of the game till that last drive.

All and all was a good game and glad my team got the W even if at a high cost. (Leader in sacks goes down injured early, RT hurt early, Pro Bowl special team captain hurt, and Edelman having one messed up finger which IMO led to that pick six or as I call it Edelmans bop pass to Indy lol)

The zone has got to go. Period

I said the same thing last night! Why were Mathis and Newsome lined up over the RT when they have a 3rd string LT in there!?? Complete and utter oversight by Manusky (per usual) 

Also, what kind of garbage is called when we are dropping our DE's (namely Cole on a WR) into coverage? Hell, even that * Collinsworth could see that. 

Agree and that's why I keep saying that this coaching staff is NOT championship caliber. Chuck and company are serviceable at best. The great ones always attack your perceived weakness. If roles were reversed Belichick would've had a jail break on that side for THAT game only! It pains me that after 4yrs this staff and team still really has no identity on offense or defense. Chuck took the blame for that awful trick play after the game and he should've because that play looked like a disaster from the beginning. Call a TIMEOUT!!! This is not pop warner... 

I believe it was the game plan to take the Pats short passes away, at least that's what the talking heads on TV said.

I too was annoyed with the Pats zone coverage and not blitzing enough, But that said I was pleased with only 14 points through most of the game till that last drive.

All and all was a good game and glad my team got the W even if at a high cost. (Leader in sacks goes down injured early, RT hurt early, Pro Bowl special team captain hurt, and Edelman having one messed up finger which IMO led to that pick six or as I call it Edelmans bop pass to Indy lol)

?? Are you a Pat fan with a Colt avatar?!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Pats shuffled their O line and put a RT in that they had just signed after their backup LT went down.

What is the identity of this defense? Is it now a bend but don't break type? Glad to see the RARE safety blitz dialed up by the dc to get a sack on Brady. The Colt defense dropped one spot in league rankings to 29th overall after Sunday night's game. I thought they played better (especially the d-line) against the Pats holding them UNDER 40pts by 6 this go round. Saying that in itself means this team has a long way to go to be considered elite. I don't understand why Greg didn't attack the Pats 3rd string ot by overloading that side with some timed periodic blitzes. Greg's version of the 3-4 is too passive and is now asking the press man to man corners to run a soft zone in which opposing qbs are attacking the open spots with success. Injuries at corner initially forced the Colts to play zone yet they continue to run the puzzling soft coverage with the secondary now intact. Going forward I think some fans have settled for moral victories and mediocrity for this talented yet underachieving team capable of beating anyone. The Colts are now 3-3 and some could argue they SHOULD be 1-5.. All three wins came against the pitiful division teams who by the way are ALL below .500 but don't worry because of that the Colts sit alone as KINGS of the afc south!!! :facepalm:

And it's all made even worse when you don't get good pressure on the QB!!! We got some pressure ar times on Brady but nearly enough. And half the time we call apse the edges but opened up the middle so Brady just stepped up and let it go. Wish we had a guy or two that could collapse the middle and prevent QBS from being able to do that.

The only way I see beating the Pats is being aggressive. The Colts zone D is not being aggressive.

This WILL be a problem going forward against most teams especially with the Colts lacking a pass rush!!! I see gaps all over the field and now the corners are lagging back 5 to 10yds off the wrs on some plays. Showing blitz at times only to drop everyone back into zone while only rushing three will help your against the run stats because all teams have to do now is stand back and pick the secondary apart. Too many times I just saw defenders in no mans land and of course in zone if no one comes across that area you have taken a defender out of the play. Zone is usually for teams with slow small corners who cannot play a man to man but ALSO possess d-linemen that can get constant pressure on opposing qbs by collapsing the pocket leading to sacks. Neither of which applies to the Colts! So once again it goes to bad coaching.....

injuries in the secondary have played a huge part in the zone that's being played. If Toler comes back to playing the way he did in the second half and Adams and Geathers aren't hurt too badly, then I can see things coming back around.

The bigger issue is Freeman's and DQ's not so great ability to cover.....that's the next piece of the puzzle....getting ILBs that can cover and consistent pass rushers. Overall, this D is really close to being very good, just not all the pieces are in place yet.

Injuries are not the excuse anymore it's coaching. Besides the ilb we have all that we need for man to man. we succeeded enough in man to man last year with a worse line yet Manusky is being passive. I swear wade Phillips would've been great for us we chose Manusky instead of him in 2012 and last year we had a chance while he was not picked up at all and this offseason we had a chance..Phillips is a horrible Hc but his defenses always rank top 10 regardless of who's he's been with and now first year in Denver and thier def is ranked 1

Zone and soft coverage was needed due to injuries.  In the Pats game, though admittedly tough to watch, it was clear they decided to go with 8 men in coverage most often.  Blitzing the Pats is tough considering Brady gets the ball out so quickly and they hardly run anything outside of 10 yards.  And you certainly aren't going to fool him much.  Ideally, you can get him uncomfortable by a four man rush, but I think correctly, Manusky knew that wasn't going to happen, so they went with the coverage.  

If you agree that the Colts gave them 2 TDs with the onside kick and punt fake, then the D really did their job fairly well.

Moving ahead though, I hope we get out of this soft zone we've been forced to play.

Toler and Butler can't do it....so zone it is

Vollmer was at LT.

Honestly.. I didn't mind game plan..3 on dline 8 in coverage..you cud tell pats were a little flustered.. If we rushed 4 or more were we getting to Tom gaydy prolly not cuz his quik release and r lack of a rush neway. Tbh I thought the game plan was uniqe..break the mold Peps..Greg is getting props from me!

the te dictates strong side alignment. Pretty simple to understand if you understand the defense

What in the world is the matter with people in this thread?!?

Does ANYONE here actually think we're playing zone because we prefer it?!?

How about we're playing zone because we have a large number of injured defensive backs and the back-ups are not good enough for tight press coverage!

We're playing zone because Vonte and Toler are not 100%.

This isn't what we want,  this is what has been forced upon us.     I see no reason to think otherwise.....

What in the world is the matter with people in this thread?!?

Does ANYONE here actually think we're playing zone because we prefer it?!?

How about we're playing zone because we have a large number of injured defensive backs and the back-ups are not good enough for tight press coverage!

that is not why we played more zone

that is not why we played more zone

Leave it to you to say what you said,  and NOT then explain why we are.      That is SO Dudeski.....

So.....

We've played very little zone for the three years that Pagano is here.....    and now we're playing mostly zone.

So.......

Feel free to tell us why we are?

What is the identity of this defense? Is it now a bend but don't break type? Glad to see the RARE safety blitz dialed up by the dc to get a sack on Brady. The Colt defense dropped one spot in league rankings to 29th overall after Sunday night's game. I thought they played better (especially the d-line) against the Pats holding them UNDER 40pts by 6 this go round. Saying that in itself means this team has a long way to go to be considered elite. I don't understand why Greg didn't attack the Pats 3rd string ot by overloading that side with some timed periodic blitzes. Greg's version of the 3-4 is too passive and is now asking the press man to man corners to run a soft zone in which opposing qbs are attacking the open spots with success. Injuries at corner initially forced the Colts to play zone yet they continue to run the puzzling soft coverage with the secondary now intact. Going forward I think some fans have settled for moral victories and mediocrity for this talented yet underachieving team capable of beating anyone. The Colts are now 3-3 and some could argue they SHOULD be 1-5.. All three wins came against the pitiful division teams who by the way are ALL below .500 but don't worry because of that the Colts sit alone as KINGS of the afc south!!! :facepalm:

These defensive rankings are just asinine. 29th???? I think these guys actually played a pretty decent game. I feel as if we are searching for an identity on both sides of the ball really. Guys are in and out, particularly on the offensive line, defensive secondary, linebackers, etc. It's like these guys are just trying to get to understand each others strengths and how to really gel together. I often get the feeling the coaching staff doesn't understand how to effectively use the guys they have and they go through these trial and error experiments...Just my two cents...

Leave it to you to say what you said, and NOT then explain why we are. That is SO Dudeski.....

So.....

We've played very little zone for the three years that Pagano is here..... and now we're playing mostly zone.

So.......

Feel free to tell us why we are?

i was talking about the pats game with everyone healthy.