Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manusky's defensive scheme [Merge]

bluephantom87

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scheme is the problem. Along with the brain surgeon who is making the decision to play that scheme.  

We continue to play zone with LB's who can't cover (I will say DQ has been playing awesome against the run) and CB's who are better at playing man.

The D-Line is better because the Stanford boys and Langford have replaced the "900 lb. safe" and the "guy that can move like a cat" 

IMO, it's the schemes.  We look like we are playing more Zone coverage than Man.  If are CBs are better in Man then play Man.  If they are better in Zone then play Zone.

We are playing zone because we can't cover anyone man-to-man.  Other than Davis who else do you trust in man coverage?  And we have no pass rush.  I don't know what people expect Manusky to do.  This is a personnel issue.  Blame Grigson.

Scheme is the problem. Along with the brain surgeon who is making the decision to play that scheme.  

We continue to play zone with LB's who can't cover (I will say DQ has been playing awesome against the run) and CB's who are better at playing man.

The D-Line is better because the Stanford boys and Langford have replaced the "900 lb. safe" and the "guy that can move like a cat" 

Toler has been awful and Butler is marginally better. But without a pass rush your asking them to do too much

We are playing zone because we can't cover anyone man-to-man.  Other than Davis who else do you trust in man coverage?  And we have no pass rush.  I don't know what people expect Manusky to do.  This is a personnel issue.  Blame Grigson.

We played Man most of the 1st half and held Gronk to Zero catches.  We come out in the 2nd half and on the Pats 1st drive, they drive down and score a TD.  IMO, a big difference.

As far as a personnel issue, you are correct.  

Not too worried about it for 2015. We're headed for a new coaching regime, and likely a complete makeover. The new coach will want his own guys. Significant roster turnover, I'm guessing. We'll be talking about a completely different cast of characters and possibly a new scheme 7 months from now.

i was talking about the pats game with everyone healthy.

So....    what's the reason?      

Because while Davis and Toler are playing,  I don't think they're healthy.      They're both far better man-corners than they are zone-corners, so why are we playing so much zone?

To me,  considering Pagano and Manusky both prefer man on man coverage,  the only reason for those guys NOT to be playing that and playing as much zone as we have is that there are too many guys playing well below 100%.      Nothing else adds up to me.

I'm open to other ideas,   but what's the answer?

when rod marinelli took over DC in Dallas things were immediately different. I mean right away you could see the difference now his second year with some more talent they appear to be even better WITHOUT an elite corner. I am curious to see how they develop the rest of this season. if we could find a DC that makes as much of an impact as marinelli did in Dallas wed be in good shape

We should have done whatever it took to get Wade Phillips this past offseason.

we had the entire 2013/2014 season and we kept this bum.. Phillips loves to play man and gets a pass rush. He'd love to allow vontae to shadow and just press everyone else and blitz his butt off but this management loves to keep what's wrong

Run D is better this year but I think that's personnel.

Coverage is awful.  

Yes. I'm hoping Mathis gets back to his old self very soon.

1) the coverage has been awful mostly due to injuries in the secondary and lack of a pass rush

2) Mathis coming back from injury at this age and returning to his all-pro form was a long shot.

3) The defense gets a whole lot better if we had an elite pass rusher

4) None of those issues can be blamed on Manusky

1) the coverage has been awful mostly due to injuries in the secondary and lack of a pass rush

2) Mathis coming back from injury at this age and returning to his all-pro form was a long shot.

3) The defense gets a whole lot better if we had an elite pass rusher

4) None of those issues can be blamed on Manusky

i don't agree the coverage is awful because he's putting people in zone. Even without butler and toler in the line up when we played man we were stopping people 3/5 times while in that coverage. With the zone we almost allow I'd guess like 8/10 catches an attempt (exaggerating a bit but you get me I hope?) we have corners who can play man (butler in the slot only) Toler has been the only corner in man who so far has been 100% trash..brown did okay before he went down, Josh Thomas did well too. I feel like Manusky just is afraid to trust them to play man so he'd rather play it safe in zone and ALLOW the easy catches. These corners play press man and he's having them 10 yards off when the opposing offense needs 5 yards for a first.

Why does he continue to call vanilla looks? No different disguises or nothing just basic as ever and this single high safety play has to stop why not have a 2 safety coverage over the top when it comes to man coverage? He has to go after this season there's no type of adjustment after issues being pointed out game after game

Lol. I'm not sure what you want the defense to do when they are continually put in positions to fail and they have the lesser amount if salary cap. Lol this thread is hilarious.

When the Saints had a long field and Manusky had an even playing field they stopped them. Sounds to me like yall are barking up the wrong tree.

Lol. I'm not sure what you want the defense to do when they are continually put in positions to fail and they have the lesser amount if salary cap. Lol this thread is hilarious.

When the Saints had a long field and Manusky had an even playing field they stopped them. Sounds to me like yall are barking up the wrong tree.

You talking about a long field did they not march down the field multiple times??? What you saying makes no sense of course a defense has a better chance when the momentum has shifted but to be consistent is different and they wasn't consistent for the most part because the playcalling was trash

You talking about a long field did they not march down the field multiple times??? What you saying makes no sense of course a defense has a better chance when the momentum has shifted but to be consistent is different and they wasn't consistent for the most part because the playcalling was trash

K tell me when they scored and there was no turnover involved. I'll wait no worries.

Vanilla is a Greg Manusky trademark and the reason he's been FIRED everywhere he's been a dc. The spotlight has been off that 29th ranked defense because the offense has looked so pedestrian but Rodney Harrison said last week the Indy defense is terrible!!!! No pass rush, d-line is better against the run but that's more from a talent level than ANYTHING Greg is doing scheme wise. Some have pointed out that opposing qbs are having so much success picking apart the zone that the rush defense hadn't been tested until today and they looked bad like the Colts of the past. Yes the Colt offense has put the defense in some bad spots but that's part of football. Just because the offense has a turnover doesn't mean the defense HAS TO GIVE UP A SCORE!!! The Colts went 3 and out on their 1st possession after halftime and the Saints responded by going 82yds on SIX plays with their FIRST possession after halftime against Greg's sporadic defense. Sick of hearing the defense is on the field too long because that means opposing o-lineman are on the field for an extended amount time getting winded also. Try forcing more 3 and outs to get off the field. The offense has problems that most fans focus on but that doesn't mean Greg's soft scheme is winning games either! 

Vanilla is a Greg Manusky trademark and the reason he's been FIRED everywhere he's been a dc. The spotlight has been off that 29th ranked defense because the offense has looked so pedestrian but Rodney Harrison said last week the Indy defense is terrible!!!! No pass rush, d-line is better against the run but that's more from a talent level than ANYTHING Greg is doing scheme wise. Some have pointed out that opposing qbs are having so much success picking apart the zone that the rush defense hadn't been tested until today and they looked bad like the Colts of the past. Yes the Colt offense has put the defense in some bad spots but that's part of football. Just because the offense has a turnover doesn't mean the defense HAS TO GIVE UP A SCORE!!! The Colts went 3 and out on their 1st possession after halftime and the Saints responded by going 82yds on SIX plays with their FIRST possession after halftime against Greg's sporadic defense. Sick of hearing the defense is on the field too long because that means opposing o-lineman are on the field for an extended amount time getting winded also. Try forcing more 3 and outs to get off the field. The offense has problems that most fans focus on but that doesn't mean Greg's soft scheme is winning games either!

I agree on this....see there was a big adjustment last week the colts didn't stay in man coverage because they knew new england would pick them apart again that's what I'm talking about make the right adjustments and see what happens

There was no turnover when they scored in the beginning 3rd quarter it's just a poor excuse

So the offense turning the ball over is a poor excuse? I guess we will just ignore facts then lol. I'm not endorsing Manusky but to say he is the reason we are in this mess is laughable. We need to fix 50 other things before we start imploding our defense lolol.

Why does he continue to call vanilla looks? No different disguises or nothing just basic as ever and this single high safety play has to stop why not have a 2 safety coverage over the top when it comes to man coverage? He has to go after this season there's no type of adjustment after issues being pointed out game after game

Basically, that would be Cover 2 man under.  {man under with 2 high safeties}  I think that is a good D design, useful for teams like the Patriots/Brady - and others.

No matter the D called, players have to know their jobs in that scheme, and execute them. And some of that is determined if they have the ability/capability.

The defensive scheme is not the problem. The offense isn't helping us out at all. The defense is on the field for most of the game. I have no problem with a defense besides Greg Toler. We need a #2 corner next season.

So does that mean it's the Colt offense's fault that they can't force more 3 and outs on defense? Or are you saying that the 29th ranked defense is tired while the opposing offense is not? Why did it take the second half for the defense to start playing more aggressive as noted by the commentators? Too many nice coaches that lack aggression or creativity and it reflects in their playcalling but I guess after many job losses as dc Greg will somehow magically become one of the best when it comes to running the 3-4 scheme....