Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic options, Rumors for HC

BProland85

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sentiments exactly , people are spoiled . Lets go back 4 years :funny:

Blew it up, started from scratch...same victories....I wish all of the posters would go live in Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Cleveland.  Did I mention Oakland, Minnesota, New York (Jets)......did I mention.........:)

Personally I really like Matt Patricia. He's done some good things with some marginal talent especially in the secondary. He's had a good couple years learning under Emperor Palpatine. I'd trust him to call plays on D as the HC.

Only thing is id want a GREAT new OC. Someone who I could trust to run the offense with not a lot of help. Pep isn't that. Maybe Chud? Am I the only one who completely forgot about him?

If we go for an offensive minded coach? I like Greg Roman, Buffalo's OC. He wouldn't let us not have a great run game.

Just, sweet baby Jesus, not Sean Payton...

He also looks like a pirate.. win win. 

matt-patricia.jpg

Nothing is happening mid season.

Here's a weird theory: Keep Pagano. 

Replace Pep with Chudzinski.

Replace Manusky with Wade Phillips. 

Get an actual good QB coach. 

And you're going to get Phillips from Denver...how?

I think we may be turning a corner.  If we come out and take care of the woeful Saints as we should, I think we could get on a roll.  Pitt will have Roth back, but hasn't looked great this year (for obvious reasons), I keep think Carolina isn't as good as their record.  Atlanta concerns me a lot, but the Saints beat them so perhaps if we take care of the Saints, we can beat Atlanta as well.  Perhaps things aren't as Grim as they have seemed/.   We've always had Cincy's number in the playoffs, but this year they are healthy (they were missing a lot of players the past two times we played) but if they get matched up with the Patriots and we can keep winning, we may face them for the title game.  Denver, for me, is the big question mark.  Can our D beat their O and vice versa?  Their D is fierce as hell.  But our early season exp. with great D's might serve us well.   If we can beat NOLA by 14 on Sunday, I feel like 11-5 is still in play and perhaps the #3 seed.   That's about as optimistic as I can be. If that is the case, we'd go to Cincy round 2 and perhaps someone else can dispatch NE.  

Or we can all just fire everyone, start over with an all new everything and go 8-8 for a few years until Luck is the next Manning without a SB and considered an underachiever.  I'd rather be optimistic at this point.  It is still too early for this drudgery. 

Nothing is happening mid season.

Here's a weird theory: Keep Pagano. 

Replace Pep with Chudzinski.

Replace Manusky with Wade Phillips. 

Get an actual good QB coach. 

Yes.  That is actually the proper move, except I'm indifferent on Manusky.

But in the big picture, the narrative in the National Media and the Social Media has already settled on Pags and/or Grigs being the problem.

So far, the only mention of Pep has been "Pep Hamilton is trying to change some things that Luck is doing".  Meaning, he is fighting a raging river upstream to counter the wrong-minded management team of Pags and Grigs.  People on this board have noticed the absence of criticism, or even mentioning, Pep during the Colts offensive struggles.  Now, the only mention of him tends to shine a positive light on him.

No other football team will hire Pep.  He will have to be fired.  But the national media and social media has already set up the narrative that if Pep is fired, Grigson is finding a scapegoat. 

You are a step behind my friend.

After bringing in three amateurs with no experience - Grigson, Chuck and Pep - I can't see Irsay taking a chance on an unproven commodity like Patricia, or a failure in his last stop like McDaniels. Plus, Pats coaches have a pretty bad record once away from Bill. I'm guessing Irsay will go with rock solid experience - Shanahan or Payton, if he's available. Both would be good fits and could at least bring this offense to an elite level overnight. Shanahan's offense is probably the perfect fit for Luck. In the past, Luck has been compared to Manning, but his skillset probably puts him closer to a combination of Steve Young and Elway. Payton's offense, on the other hand, seems to be about the best combination between a smart, west coast-type style and what we already do with all the downfield stuff.

NFL assistant coaches don't have a great track record of becoming good head coaches either. And Saban wasn't a terrible failure in the NFL.

If you look at the top head coaches right now and the longest tenured head coaches in the league, ALL of them were coordinators in the NFL for periods of time. the exception is Tom Coughlin, who coached at Boston College before joining the Jaguars. You can say Chip Kelly but I wouldn't list him as a top coach in the league. Saban went 15-17 then got the heck out as quick as he could after the season ended. I think many Dolphins fans will tell you that his tenure couldn't have gone much worse. Plus he'd be 64 by the time he took over. How long could you really expect him to be here? His style wouldn't work with NFL players for a long period of time anyways.

I like Pagano better than all those options.  D'Antonio and Saban are college coaches, and should stay in college.  McDaniels didn't do well at his last HC gig.  He and Patricia are both coordinators in NE, and they don't do well, historically, when they leave Belichicks' nest.  Sean Payton, while similar to Chuck, would mean going back to square 1.

We have a good thing going right now, contrary to popular belief.  The only coach I would take is Belichick, and I would hate it because I just don't like the man.  We would win football games, but it would be like nails on a chalkboard.

There is no equivalent to Belichick in the NFL today, so let's not abandon the Pagano train yet.

Outside of that one Super Bowl and an NFC championship in 2006 what have Sean Peytons Saints teams done in the playoffs outside of fold in the first 2 rounds?  Good coach but is he really bringing that much more to the table?  Let's take a serious look at this because he's had a franchise quarterback since 2006 so up to this point that is 9 years, more like 8 because he was suspended for  the 2012 season.  It's just kind of odd to me that people want to throw Pagano out so bad when he's already won 3 playoff games in 3 years.  Not just 3 playoff games, but a step further every year and I know we'll be there this year.  He must be burned at the steak because it's really Luck that did all of that for him.....  At least that's what some of you guys like to say!

The Saints upon hiring Payton went to the NFC championship in 2006 and didn't even sniff the playoffs again until 2009 which was the Super Bowl.  The records in between those points were 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008.  I can't even imagine what Colts fans would be saying with a 7-9 and 8-8 season missing the playoffs 2 years in a row.  If Pagano did that there would be Colt Fans who would find out where he lived in Indy and burn his house down I think!  Since that Super Bowl victory Payton hasn't done much more than Pagano has done as far as the success of the team.  I'd say he's done less and don't forget about what the Saints record was last year in the WORST division in football.  A division full of garbage teams and yet the Saints could only muster a 7-9 record?   And just to back track a little bit I wonder why nobody has taken all of Paytons credit away and given it to Brees like they do Pagano with Luck?

Oh yeah!  People talk about Pagano and Manusky, but Payton and the Saints were dumb enough to hire Rob Ryan who does nothing but field mediocre defenses every year.  That mediocre defense that Gore will be running over on Sunday!

I'll put this point out here again. Payton is already coaching a franchise quarterback so those of you thinking he's going to come over here and sprinkle pixie dust on Andrew should take this into consideration.  I think Payton is a good offensive coach in terms of the passing game,  I don't like that his teams don't usually run the football that much.  Not sure we'd be getting that much better than Pagano in terms of head coaching success.  What I'm really doing with this post is challenging this grass is greener mentality that people are passing around the forum.  I don't hate Payton but are people really analyzing this stuff?  He might even do something with Andrew but will the overall team be better?  I'm not so sure about that. Out of an 8 year coaching tenure under Payton the Saints h ave been to different levels of the playoffs 5 times.  Pagano is working on his 4th consecutive playoff year in 4 years. You have got to give me a better excuse than "Oh it's because of Luck"

well said well said

I like Pagano better than all those options.  D'Antonio and Saban are college coaches, and should stay in college.  McDaniels didn't do well at his last HC gig.  He and Patricia are both coordinators in NE, and they don't do well, historically, when they leave Belichicks' nest.  Sean Payton, while similar to Chuck, would mean going back to square 1.

We have a good thing going right now, contrary to popular belief.  The only coach I would take is Belichick, and I would hate it because I just don't like the man.  We would win football games, but it would be like nails on a chalkboard.

There is no equivalent to Belichick in the NFL today, so let's not abandon the Pagano train yet.

I actually think that Sean Payton would be the easiest transition. We have the offensive weapons to run his system from day one, sure we might have to re-tool the offensive line in places and add a quick receiving back, but would anyone here be up in arms about that? Plus, Indianapolis would be the best defense he has had in years.

I actually think that Sean Payton would be the easiest transition. We have the offensive weapons to run his system from day one, sure we might have to re-tool the offensive line in places and add a quick receiving back, but would anyone here be up in arms about that? Plus, Indianapolis would be the best defense he has had in years.

If I had to choose one of the options mentioned, it would be Payton.  I still think we would take a step back, at least in the first year.

I think we may be turning a corner.  If we come out and take care of the woeful Saints as we should, I think we could get on a roll.  Pitt will have Roth back, but hasn't looked great this year (for obvious reasons), I keep think Carolina isn't as good as their record.  Atlanta concerns me a lot, but the Saints beat them so perhaps if we take care of the Saints, we can beat Atlanta as well.  Perhaps things aren't as Grim as they have seemed/.   We've always had Cincy's number in the playoffs, but this year they are healthy (they were missing a lot of players the past two times we played) but if they get matched up with the Patriots and we can keep winning, we may face them for the title game.  Denver, for me, is the big question mark.  Can our D beat their O and vice versa?  Their D is fierce as hell.  But our early season exp. with great D's might serve us well.   If we can beat NOLA by 14 on Sunday, I feel like 11-5 is still in play and perhaps the #3 seed.   That's about as optimistic as I can be. If that is the case, we'd go to Cincy round 2 and perhaps someone else can dispatch NE.  

Or we can all just fire everyone, start over with an all new everything and go 8-8 for a few years until Luck is the next Manning without a SB and considered an underachiever.  I'd rather be optimistic at this point.  It is still too early for this drudgery. 

I think your close except we get the no 4 seed and go to NE and get last weeks game back were gonna knock them pats off in foxborough just watch

Don't know if he's interested in returning, but my choice would be Gruden. He knows his football and he would bring an attitude and accountability that's been missing from this franchise for so long. Plus, he would kill for the chance to coach Luck which he has a man crush on. If anyone can lure him out of the broadcast booth it would be Luck. My choice might be Harbaugh if it wasn't for the fact that anybody who thinks he's leaving Michigan at this point is hallucinating. He hasn't even had a chance to bring his own recruits in yet and he already has the team on the verge of a top 10. Not gonna happen.

11 coaching seasons, 5 playoff apearences (one as a 9-7 record), 5 seasons at .500 or less, 2 one and dones, and 2 divisional round losses.  only 1 Conference championship that lead to the Superbowl.  Did absolutely nothing after the SB.   I'd pass.

I hate the thought of Chuckie and his Napoleonic complex together with Luck. Luck is already demanding enough of himself. You add an overbearing presence like Gruden to the pressure Luck already puts in himself, and the results could be negative.

If you have a problem with my comment then tell me where in my comment was I wrong. I voiced my opinion and shared it in this thread. Take your own advice.

That doesn't give you the right to try and disrupt and derail someone else's thread. That's where you're wrong. Don't be a hypocrite.

On the funny side; Jay Cutler as OC so he can increase Luck's INTs even more.

Through his first four years, Brady threw an INT once every 39 attempts. At this point in Luck's career, he's thrown an INT once every 39 attempts. Brady was playing on a great team, with a great defense and in an offense where he might have thrown it more than 5 yards down the field 5-6 times a game. Luck is playing on a putrid team, with a terrible defense, constantly playing from behind, and in possibly the most high risk offense in the league.

I've done a little bit of reading on Matt Patricia.  While the history of Pats coordinators leaving Belichick to become head coaches isn't pretty, I think Patricia would be a good hire.  I think he's a smart defensive mind and a good leader.  He's been around Belichick for years, and he's gained Belichick's trust.

In terms of the other names being mentioned here:

Wade Phillips: I can't see Denver letting him go.

Sean Payton: he's recognized as one of the better offensive playcallers and schemers in football.  With that said, his history of hiring defensive coordinators isn't pretty.  I'm not sure if that was him or Loomis making the hires, but Rob Ryan and Gregg Williams (and all the BountyGate stuff) aren't anything to get excited about.

Harbaugh: I have difficulty seeing him leave Michigan after just one year, especially after signing such a massive contract.  With that said, if his team continues to have these weird losses here and there (speaking specifically about the Michigan State game), he might want to get out of there.  His temperament and attitude makes him a difficult case.

McDaniels: his playcalling and his ability to adjust the offense to what it is now shows he knows what he's doing in terms of Xs and Os.  He's made the Pats more of a dink-and-dunk offense, but it's working for them and it's making Brady play like he's 30 years old with no decline in sight.  With that said, I'm not a fan of his attitude.  He seems very childish and immature (Jim Harbaugh-esque, if you will).  Of course, that may have changed.  But I still have my doubts about his leadership skills.  He inherited a pretty good Denver team and got rid of Cutler, Marshall, and drafted Tebow with a first round pick.

Through his first four years, Brady threw an INT once every 39 attempts. At this point in Luck's career, he's thrown an INT once every 39 attempts. Brady was playing on a great team, with a great defense and in an offense where he might have thrown it more than 5 yards down the field 5-6 times a game. Luck is playing on a putrid team, with a terrible defense, constantly playing from behind, and in possibly the most high risk offense in the league.

The team has holes, but it's not that bad

h

The team has holes, but it's not that bad

You're being kind. Through four years, if you add up the pathetic defenses, the O-line and the hits Luck as taken, the joke that was Richardson and the lack of a running game... It's bad.

Outside of constantly returning to the obvious - the AFC South - it's hard to believe this team won 11 for three straight years.

You're being kind. Through four years, if you add up the pathetic defenses, the O-line and the hits Luck as taken, the joke that was Richardson and the lack of a running game... It's bad.

Outside of constantly returning to the obvious - the AFC South - it's hard to believe this team won 11 for three straight years.

Our defense has been decent this year.  And ever since we switched to our current OL, things have been more steady there too.  Richardson was a joke, but the running game has been serviceable this year.  We just need to stay with it and keep feeding Gore.  I agree that there are holes and lots of room for improvement, but the team isn't putrid

Yes.  That is actually the proper move, except I'm indifferent on Manusky.

But in the big picture, the narrative in the National Media and the Social Media has already settled on Pags and/or Grigs being the problem.

So far, the only mention of Pep has been "Pep Hamilton is trying to change some things that Luck is doing".  Meaning, he is fighting a raging river upstream to counter the wrong-minded management team of Pags and Grigs.  People on this board have noticed the absence of criticism, or even mentioning, Pep during the Colts offensive struggles.  Now, the only mention of him tends to shine a positive light on him.

No other football team will hire Pep.  He will have to be fired.  But the national media and social media has already set up the narrative that if Pep is fired, Grigson is finding a scapegoat. 

You are a step behind my friend.

Wait, I thought back to the future day was yesterday. 

How can I be a step behind when none of this has happened yet? :)

Outside of that one Super Bowl and an NFC championship in 2006 what have Sean Peytons Saints teams done in the playoffs outside of fold in the first 2 rounds? Good coach but is he really bringing that much more to the table? Let's take a serious look at this because he's had a franchise quarterback since 2006 so up to this point that is 9 years, more like 8 because he was suspended for the 2012 season. It's just kind of odd to me that people want to throw Pagano out so bad when he's already won 3 playoff games in 3 years. Not just 3 playoff games, but a step further every year and I know we'll be there this year. He must be burned at the steak because it's really Luck that did all of that for him..... At least that's what some of you guys like to say!

The Saints upon hiring Payton went to the NFC championship in 2006 and didn't even sniff the playoffs again until 2009 which was the Super Bowl. The records in between those points were 7-9 in 2007 and 8-8 in 2008. I can't even imagine what Colts fans would be saying with a 7-9 and 8-8 season missing the playoffs 2 years in a row. If Pagano did that there would be Colt Fans who would find out where he lived in Indy and burn his house down I think! Since that Super Bowl victory Payton hasn't done much more than Pagano has done as far as the success of the team. I'd say he's done less and don't forget about what the Saints record was last year in the WORST division in football. A division full of garbage teams and yet the Saints could only muster a 7-9 record? And just to back track a little bit I wonder why nobody has taken all of Paytons credit away and given it to Brees like they do Pagano with Luck?

Oh yeah! People talk about Pagano and Manusky, but Payton and the Saints were dumb enough to hire Rob Ryan who does nothing but field mediocre defenses every year. That mediocre defense that Gore will be running over on Sunday!

I'll put this point out here again. Payton is already coaching a franchise quarterback so those of you thinking he's going to come over here and sprinkle pixie dust on Andrew should take this into consideration. I think Payton is a good offensive coach in terms of the passing game, I don't like that his teams don't usually run the football that much. Not sure we'd be getting that much better than Pagano in terms of head coaching success. What I'm really doing with this post is challenging this grass is greener mentality that people are passing around the forum. I don't hate Payton but are people really analyzing this stuff? He might even do something with Andrew but will the overall team be better? I'm not so sure about that. Out of an 8 year coaching tenure under Payton the Saints have been to different levels of the playoffs 5 times. Pagano is working on his 4th consecutive playoff year in 4 years. You have got to give me a better excuse than "Oh it's because of Luck"

Whenever I try and give pagano a chance in my mind, he goes and tells Pep to go up tempo. While it is true he has only coached 3 years, and could still be learning everything. I am not apposed to keeping pagano, and pep is looking better when he was calling shorter routes, and running the ball.

What is your opinion of GM though?

And also DC? I think with a new GM and DC, we could do some pretty good damage.

A trenches oriented GM would do wonders.

Whenever I try and give pagano a chance in my mind, he goes and tells Pep to go up tempo. While it is true he has only coached 3 years, and could still be learning everything. I am not apposed to keeping pagano, and pep is looking better when he was calling shorter routes, and running the ball.

What is your opinion of GM though?

And also DC? I think with a new GM and DC, we could do some pretty good damage.

A trenches oriented GM would do wonders.

See my other post in the Billy Winn Thread.  DC is okay, but we could do better if a better candidate was available.  For now I'm okay with Manusky for this year and or next year. We should have some really good personnel on defense for him to work with next year.  He's had to work some magic for the last 2 years with all the injuries and some bad personnel we had to shed.  I'm not ready to run anybody out of town just yet unless we don't make the playoffs.

OK I got 1.. How about we wait for the season to end. I hear PManning is considering retirement, I know he would love to be back in INDY! especially to work with Andrew Luck, and maybe just maybe, they both can do something that everyone wants to do.....BEAT THE PATRIOTS! I know BBelichick would hate to see LUCk and MANNING on the same sideline. Ha!