Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cris Carter's Rookie Symposium Advice

pacolts56

For some odd reason my sound isn't playing, what is a fall guy???? What did he mean???

Basically a player and his friends go out to a club (for example), The player gets into a scuffle or into trouble of some sort big or smaller, That player has a buddy designated and willing to take the fall for said player who actually was in the scuffle or into trouble

I just saw and listened to that clip and I find it disturbing. Carter had a very poor start to his career because of off field issues and just because he became a HOFer does not mean he should be giving this type of advice. He is saying if you live a so called thug lifestyle have someone to take a fall for you. He should be giving better advice to these young men and telling them to be responsible for their own actions. If I had a son that was entering the NFL I wouldn't be happy at all about hearing Carter telling him to get someone to cover his mistakes and not owning up to them.

I just saw and listened to that clip and I find it disturbing. Carter had a very poor start to his career because of off field issues and just because he became a HOFer does not mean he should be giving this type of advice. He is saying if you live a so called thug lifestyle have someone to take a fall for you. He should be giving better advice to these young men and telling them to be responsible for their own actions. If I had a son that was entering the NFL I wouldn't be happy at all about hearing Carter telling him to get someone to cover his mistakes and not owning up to them.

Yet his sons struggles come as a surprise

Guess what topic Cris Carter will be talking about Monday on ESPN?!?

And it will be interesting to see if he owns it,  or if he tries to tap-dance his way out of it?

I hope he owns it and admits how wrong and how stupid he was for saying it......

We'll find out tomorrow.........

Encouraging rookies to obstruct justice....smooth.  While Carter was able to overcome his addiction, and I'm happy for him that he did, there's unfortunately no cure for stupid.  Is this considered criminal, encouraging people to lie/obstruct justice?

It was difficult to hear, but I don't believe he was talking about major crimes. I'm thinking someone else takings the blame for weed, bar fight, etc. Meh

It was difficult to hear, but I don't believe he was talking about major crimes. I'm thinking someone else takings the blame for weed, bar fight, etc. Meh

but at the same time it don't take much for a small crime to turn into a big crime, Bar fights can turn into a shoot out for example.

but at the same time it don't take much for a small crime to turn into a big crime, Bar fights can turn into a shoot out for example.

Exactly.....in fact Pacman Jones, a previous symposium speaker, was right in the middle of that strip club shootout that paralyzed a man.

For the NFL's part....it didn't help that they had a bankrupt alleged woman-beater on stage as well....laughing at Carter's "fall guy" advice.

Seriously....who are they gonna bring in next....Darren Sharper?

I think its safe to say that the NFL has reached the point of diminishing returns trying to have past (or current) offenders giving rookies advice and life lessons. There's been enough pro athlete "broke/in prison" stories around plenty long enough to where these rookies have no excuses, with or without a symposium.

That has nothing to do with the fall guy. He takes the fall for relatively minor stuff, not shootouts.

If people can step back for a minute and realize that there are going to be people that will put themselves in bad situations, it actually wasn't bad advice if you're young and trying to get through it.  Was it dumb to say? Of course.  Was it sound advice for a certain population?  I think so.

If people can step back for a minute and realize that there are going to be people that will put themselves in bad situations, it actually wasn't bad advice if you're young and trying to get through it.  Was it dumb to say? Of course.  Was it sound advice for a certain population?  I think so.

I won't argue that a percentage of NFL players are gonna thug it up no matter what....but you're assuming the investigation doesn't uncover the fall guy's LIE....in which case its terrible advice on Carter's part, which he has now admitted.

Sorry....but, given what Carter's purpose was at that symposium, he set the bar so low with those comments you couldn't slide a razor under it.

The reason it's not sound advice for a certain population is that sooner or later the truth comes out,  and then what.

Remember,  the cover-up is often far worse than the crime.    

So I guess they've given up on trying to teach young NFL stars to be smart and behave appropriately? Now we're teaching them how to get away with bad behavior? 

Wow.....I just.....wow......

For whatever it's worth.....    while this has now become public,  it's actually more than a year old.

Carter did this at the 2014 rookie symposium for the NFC players.    The NFL got to him before he presented to the AFC players.

But for some stupid, inexplicable reason,  the clip of him at the NFC symposium has been on NFL.com for more than a year.

And when Borland went public with his concern (he did not mention Carter's name)  others figured out who it was and the tape has now surfaced....

It'll be interesting to see Carter explain himself today.    I'm assuming and expecting him to be all over ESPN who he works for.

I'll be watching.......

Trying to get ahead of this,  Carter didn't wait until today (Monday) to apologize on ESPN....

He tweeted out an apology on Sunday....   and ESPN also announced they have made it clear they don't agree/approve of what Carter did as well....

Here's the story on the apology.....     I'm still expecting Carter to talk about this on ESPN.   He can't let it go with just a tweet....

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/23/cris-carter-fall-guy-rookie-advice-league-inappropriate?xid=si_topstories

That is appalling. What happened to teaching young, impressionable rookies about accountability and personal responsibility? Carter should not advise anyone anymore.

Unfortunately, as we all know too well, this is not only a problem in the NFL, we are really starting to fail as a society to instill these values into our youth. I Know, I know, not all of society, but it's getting pretty bad.

Unfortunately, as we all know too well, this is not only a problem in the NFL, we are really starting to fail as a society to instill these values into our youth. I Know, I know, not all of society, but it's getting pretty bad.

True. But this is coming from a grown man who has children and has had off-the field issues. You would think he would know better not to say what he did.

I've heard him speak before and he seemed very heartfelt and honest about staying away from drugs and the hanger ons etc. Never heard this part....that is beyond horrible. It basically trumps any of the good advice your trying to get across because what is the point of not smoking weed or going to the clubs and getting involved with bad people as long as you have a fall guy you can do that and your fine. Just terrible advice about what not to do....he really muddies up the water and these kids need to hear that they could be throwing away millions of dollars and their whole life's work by a few minutes of stupidity.

So I guess they've given up on trying to teach young NFL stars to be smart and behave appropriately? Now we're teaching them how to get away with bad behavior?

Wow.....I just.....wow......

Well to be fair, CC isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, haha!

I personally would never take any societal or fatherly advice from him.