Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Robinson

theanarchist

I keep reading good things about this kid. That's exciting because we need some good youth at that position. I realize its only training camp and preseason but I can't wait to see this guy in action. Its always great to get good value out of your later draft picks too. I liked what I read about him after the draft and it's definitely continuing with the Colts the way it sounds.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I predicted before the first preseason game that he'd be a bust, and I love that he's proving me wrong. The more draft picks we hit on, the better. I hope he continues to impress and improve and soon become our starting rb that we can be proud of. He's putting in hard work, and I hope he produces this year as much as possible and makes me eat crow.

Yeah, I predicted before the first preseason game that he'd be a bust, and I love that he's proving me wrong. The more draft picks we hit on, the better. I hope he continues to impress and improve and soon become our starting rb that we can be proud of. He's putting in hard work, and I hope he produces this year as much as possible and makes me eat crow.

....... Why did you predict that? Did you not watch him at Mississippi State?

Dakman & Robin were Gawds

....... Why did you predict that? Did you not watch him at Mississippi State?

Dakman & Robin were Gawds

Exactly. His college tape is ridiculous. Watch him against Kentucky. I'm not sure what would make your think he'd be a bust. The last Mississippi State RB we drafted in the later round worked out pretty good until injuries....

Exactly. His college tape is ridiculous. Watch him against Kentucky. I'm not sure what would make your think he'd be a bust. The last Mississippi State RB we drafted in the later round worked out pretty good until injuries....

I think a lot of people got hung up on his lack of top-end speed at his size.  I'm certainly not one of them.  If he can pick up blocks, I believe he's the future at RB for us.

I think a lot of people got hung up on his lack of top-end speed at his size.  I'm certainly not one of them.  If he can pick up blocks, I believe he's the future at RB for us.

I think this is where he will eventually get a leg up on the other RBs, IMO, other than his running style. Him and Gore as a tandem is going to work for us well between the tackles. Herron can be more like a Shane Vereen type of back, IMO, for us.

At least no more discussions about Donald Brown and Trent Richardson on Colts Football, look at the bright side :).

TIL a 6th rounder can be a bust.

Kind of silly it's impossible for a 6th rounder to bust period.  Many 6th rounders don't even make the team, therefore they can not bust.

Really the lowest round you can bust at is like the 4th round.  After that you are bust proof.

I'll hold judgement until I see what he can do against guys who will be in the league when the season starts.

How is his pass blocking and ST skills? That will make the difference if he's in a close battle for a spot on the roster.

apparently he was was stopping people cold in pass protection drills and he had some great blitz pick ups against the Eagles

I think a lot of people got hung up on his lack of top-end speed at his size. I'm certainly not one of them. If he can pick up blocks, I believe he's the future at RB for us.

I posted it after the draft his measurables were very similar to Gore's coming out.

I said it then I'll say it again I'm not saying he will be the next Gore just that their measurables were very similar. Especially the 40 times JR 4.60 at his pro day Gore 4.58. They weigh the same Gore is an inch taller.

Pass protection looked good in the first preseason game. I like the kid too. If anyone read about his background I don't think work ethic will be a problem.

I hope we see more of JR and take a real look at Varga against the Bears.

apparently he was was stopping people cold in pass protection drills and he had some great blitz pick ups against the Eagles

They have to be adding future contracts in the decision making process too. If they keep Ballard, they probably won't offer him much next year, which means they'll be looking for another RB. Robinson will be cheap for a few years.

I like Ballard but I think we've seen his best. Not really a special RB IMHO. I'm not sure JR is either but he may be all we need for a #3. Tipton wasn't exactly tearing it up to be a clear roster spot winner.

I watched his highlights after the draft, couldn't believe he was still there for us in the 6th round. I'm guessing teams passed on him because of his small stature (5'8"). He did do a number on Kentucky last year, but those highlights vs LSU aren't too shabby either.

He reminds me of Michael Turner. Like literally a bowling ball. Or a MJD

Normally I'd agree with the assessments that we need to see him perform against first team competition before crowning him the next big thing, but those cuts he was making against the Eagles were ridiculous. He keeps doing that he'll be plenty effective when the real games start. This one again proves it's unwise to draft RBs in the first round. Every year there's plenty of late round successful talent and this year it appears the Colts found one of the gems.

I just love that little guy!  Pure mix of MJD and Beast Mode, it's going to be fun watching him and Gore run this year.

He's going to have some of those highlight runs this year that make ESPN.  The kid has such good balance it's really

hard to take him down unless the tackling is superb.

I posted it after the draft his measurables were very similar to Gore's coming out.

I said it then I'll say it again I'm not saying he will be the next Gore just that their measurables were very similar. Especially the 40 times JR 4.60 at his pro day Gore 4.58. They weigh the same Gore is an inch taller.

Pass protection looked good in the first preseason game. I like the kid too. If anyone read about his background I don't think work ethic will be a problem.

^^^ Yup, no need into looking at Tipton anymore when there are young guys with more potential

than he has. The team wants to run between the tackles and JR/Varga fit that mold, Tipton does not.

Kind of silly it's impossible for a 6th rounder to bust period.  Many 6th rounders don't even make the team, therefore they can not bust.

Really the lowest round you can bust at is like the 4th round.  After that you are bust proof.

Exactly. No one is ever surprised that a 5th or 6th rounder doesn't make the team, which is why we were all so surprised at Newsome's production last year. 

I watched his highlights after the draft, couldn't believe he was still there for us in the 6th round. I'm guessing teams passed on him because of his small stature (5'8"). He did do a number on Kentucky last year, but those highlights vs LSU aren't too shabby either.

It's funny because he's already proven his size doesn't matter in the NFL. 1st string or not there were a few plays where it took multiple Eagles defenders to bring him down.... Just like in college

He has size, just not height. He's 221 pounds on a 5' 8" frame, which is big. Proportions matter. And speed is over-rated for running backs. It's rare that speed matters as much as quickness, cutting ability, vision, balance, and blocking (and to a lesser extent, receiving).

And he's got an inch and 14 pounds on Maurice Jones Drew, who was 5' 7" and 207.

He has size, just not height. He's 221 pounds on a 5' 8" frame, which is big. Proportions matter. And speed is over-rated for running backs. It's rare that speed matters as much as quickness, cutting ability, vision, balance, and blocking (and to a lesser extent, receiving).

And he's got an inch and 14 pounds on Maurice Jones Drew, who was 5' 7" and 207.

And we know how tough it is to bring down MJD. I can't wait for Jags fans to get a taste

of their own medicine.

It appears guys need to hit him squarely because arm tackles will not work on this kid,

as it did against a certain RB last season that went down after a finger nail grazed him.

Wow ... I can't believe all the " :facepalm: " sucking going on here .... one TD vs the Eagles #4s and we have the second coming of Barry Sanders! I must be blind but to me the kid looks fat and slow, it's not like his 221lbs are good weight.

Another uninformed negative post from you. What a shock.

I am rooting for the kid. Really like his story and his actual skills is pretty impressive also. Sometimes the higher ups get way to caught up on the 40's and measurables for the good and bad. You have guys drafting *s like Chris Johnson. Or drafting a guys like Emmit Smith who was to small and to slow. What Robinson has more than a lot that I've seen is his heart and determination. From what he has gone through to get where he's at I don't see him being a diva or an *. I see him busting his butt and appreciate every second of it.

Wow ... I can't believe all the " :facepalm: " sucking going on here .... one TD vs the Eagles #4s and we have the second coming of Barry Sanders! I must be blind but to me the kid looks fat and slow, it's not like his 221lbs are good weight.   

Good post, It makes me wonder why we ever got rid of T Rich.....

That was  :sarcasm:  for all of you slow ones out there in cyberspace. This post is not

directed at anyone so don't have a melt down on me.  :P

You've gotta be so much fun at parties

Most top backs have breakaway speed. I think most people see a 5'8" back and expect him to have jets. Again, not my thinking, but I believe that's the majority until they're proven otherwise.

Tell that to Jerome Bettis who played at 250 pounds. It worked out pretty good for him.

I think this is where he will eventually get a leg up on the other RBs, IMO, other than his running style. Him and Gore as a tandem is going to work for us well between the tackles. Herron can be more like a Shane Vereen type of back, IMO, for us.

At least no more discussions about Donald Brown and Trent Richardson on Colts Football, look at the bright side :).

Good analogies with Boom and Vereen.  I think Gore is the best back we've had since Edge, especially if you consider Rhodes, Addai, Brown, Richardson.  

Good analogies with Boom and Vereen.  I think Gore is the best back we've had since Edge, especially if you consider Rhodes, Addai, Brown, Richardson.  

Addai was really good, He just could not stay healthy, He would be right on pace with Gores numbers had he stayed healthy(Probably well ahead actually if he had those 276 carries). Addai actually had more TD's then Gore did through his 6 years in the NFL compared to Gores first 6 years, 48 to 44, as well as rushing 35 to 39....This was with Addai getting 276 less carries in his first 6 years then Gore

I'm convinced 40 time isn't the most important thing for a RB. I think 10 yard split and the cone drills are more important. Certainly a top 40 time with all the other measurable is great but you don't have to run a 4.4 to be a good NFL RB

No one said he was the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. Just been hearing lots of good things about him coming from camp and he had a good first preseason game. Followed that up with good practices this week from the tweets I read. Nice to see a 6th round pick working out so far.

Addai was really good, He just could not stay healthy, He would be right on pace with Gores numbers had he stayed healthy(Probably well ahead actually if he had those 276 carries). Addai actually had more TD's then Gore did through his 6 years in the NFL compared to Gores first 6 years, 48 to 44, as well as rushing 35 to 39....This was with Addai getting 276 less carries in his first 6 years then Gore

Ya, Addai wasn't too bad. He wasn't flashy. He did a lot of things pretty well. I like Gore better. I like his style, his vision. He can run thru tackles and he can run by you too. He's got some mileage but I hope he has 2 good years left in the tank.