Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Sam Walks Out. Suspended From Alouettes

krunk

“All I know is I heard somebody made a comment about him, about how he wasn’t very good and wasn’t having a very good camp,” the person said. “He took it personally and was pouting in his room. It’s very strange. I have no idea what’s going on. He might have a personal issue.”

The whole situation is bizarre, as Sam certainly seemed excited for the opportunity when he made these comments after signing with the Alouettes. It will be interesting to see if he returns or just gives up on football altogether.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_michael_sam_was_pouting_after_teammate_made_comment_about_him/18975523?linksrc=story_home_module_head_18975523

Sam can't win, no matter what he does, that is the sad part. Every move of his is going to be scrutinized.

He should know by now that the best way for him to not have issues is to not create one and do what every other player does, go to work and just play ball :). Everything else will take care of itself once he does that.

Eww that's not good.  It just confirms the stereotypes.  I mean pouting and running home after someone being critical of your play?

The man that many thought was going to help gay athletes in sports may have just done a ton of damage.  

It would have been better if he had been suspended because he repeatedly hit the people wearing red jerseys.

Yeah as part of being a good football player is having mental toughness. And being able to accept criticism and find ways to get better.

Exactly AMF. Where else does Michael think he'd be able to go & not face constructive criticism in the CFL or NFL? You're exactly right too. This game is all about thick skin. Brady, Manning, & Luck face criticism of their game every day in practice. They don't pout & walk off the field. They keep chipping away & trying to improve. 

Mr. Sam needs to pursue another career choice if he's really this sensitive. How did he play so well in the SEC in college? Was he just a solid situational pass rusher or did his college DC lie thru his teeth when NFL scout came around? Strange...

It would seem that he is just not a very good football player.

Another spot on reply. Being the 1st openly gay player in professional football means you better be darn good when you put your pads on. The scrutiny gets amped up not amped down. Sam had to know this. No one's giving you a pass if you appear to suck. Being a landmark case might get you an invitation thru the tryout door, but you've still gotta prove you can play or at least hang with the veteran big dogs. 

There's no crime in playing poorly, but there is in pretending like the NFL or CFL needs to kiss your caboose simply because you are an openly gay man. It's fine to be gay, but you are being paid to tackle QBs not be a celebrity solely based on your sexual orientation alone. 

Michael's got 2 choices: Work his tail off & earn the locker room's respect or go cry to his boyfriend for sympathy. It's up to you man. I think Sam's done in football. 

Here's the ironic thing to me: Mr. Sam coming out of the proverbial closet actually got him both his NFL opportunities with the Rams & the Cowboys. Had he remained silent about his preference in partners, his athletic talents probably wouldn't have been good enough to get him drafted anyway. I'm not trying to kick the brother when he's down. I'm just saying he squandered both NFL opportunities he was given.

Look, I'm not questioning his effort just that he needs to face facts. We can't all be what we dream to be that's life. Just make due with the hand you have been dealt & move on. 

If Sam wasn't gay, we'd never have heard about him and he'd be delivering packages while working for UPS by now....or something similar. 

So many people wanted to give him a participation trophy for being brave enough to be a gay man entering the realm of ultra-machismo. Without him being gay, nobody ever hears about him....because he's just not an NFL caliber player. 

Idea to other people who want an opportunity to play but cannot seem to get one; Tell them you're gay. 

The story I saw said Sam asked for permission to leave for a personal matter and it was granted by the front office.

There was no suspension mentioned.

I'm not sure how accurate this story is.....?

I first read about it over the weekend but yesterday I read he was placed on the "Suspended List". The following was written today but I saw the story elsewhere yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000497222/article/michael-sam-placed-on-suspended-list-in-cfl

The story I saw said Sam asked for permission to leave for a personal matter and it was granted by the front office.

There was no suspension mentioned.     

I'm not sure how accurate this story is.....?

It is entirely possible I suppose that Michael had a death in his family I guess. True NCF, we have no explanation for Sam's reaction or the details of the incident that made him cry/want to leave. 

This is why I respect Tim Tebow. He still can't throw, but the dude never gives up & he's not looking for a free ride or asking to be pampered in any way. Yeah I know, at a certain point: The writing is on the wall. 

When I saw raw guys like Brett Favre & Tom Brady initially, I could see the skill set there. It just needed to be honed & finetuned. Sam, on the other hand, never blew me away even from a basic competency perspective. 

It is entirely possible I suppose that Michael had a death in his family I guess. True NCF, we have no explanation for Sam's reaction or the details of the incident that made him cry/want to leave. 

This is why I respect Tim Tebow. He still can't throw, but the dude never gives up & he's not looking for a free ride or asking to be pampered in any way. Yeah I know, at a certain point: The writing is on the wall. 

When I saw raw guys like Brett Favre & Tom Brady initially, I could see the skill set there. It just needed to be honed & finetuned. Sam, on the other hand, never blew me away even from a basic competency perspective. 

I've now seen the link from the story on NFL.com.....   I now think the story is likely true....   but I'd love to hear from Sam before I pass judgement.      If he left because teammates were telling him "he's not very good"  I would not be supportive of Sam.  

As we both know SW1,  The NFL is a results oriented business.   If you get a shot,  you have to produce,  otherwise,  you're not around long.     If Sam has left because the going got rough,  well,  I won't shed a tear for him.  

It's supposed to be rough.

the best thing sam could have done for himself career-wise was to keep his mouth shut. as much as people wont admit it, there are a lot of homophobic people

Either that, or be a good football player. That generally helps in becoming a professional athlete

Hopefully this is the last we hear of Sam and he does quit. Don't give two cares that he's gay, but like Tebow, I care why he gets the attention, and he's a 10 time less talented version of Tebow in college that even less so deserves the attention based on his playing ability. If he wants to quit, let him. The sooner people forget about this joke, the better. Good riddance.

I noticed at the bottom of that NFL.com article that Chris Rainey got cut.  It's amazing how swiftly fortunes change for people. Rainey went from being in good status with the Colts, praised by Pagano a couple of times and had pretty good odds to make the team.  From there he was cut for foolishness, then cut again by Bruce Arians I think.   Now he's being cut by a Canadian League team.  Talk about blowing your chances.

If Sam wasn't gay, we'd never have heard about him and he'd be delivering packages while working for UPS by now....or something similar. 

So many people wanted to give him a participation trophy for being brave enough to be a gay man entering the realm of ultra-machismo. Without him being gay, nobody ever hears about him....because he's just not an NFL caliber player. 

Idea to other people who want an opportunity to play but cannot seem to get one; Tell them you're gay. 

haha Great idea Ruksak unless saying that gets you hired/promoted & there's a drop dead gorgeous employee who's single that you'd like to date eventually, but she'll never give you the time of day if she thinks you're off the market. Just messing you buddy. 

Can't you just see the guy saying "That's the future mother of my children right there. How am I gonna jump this hurdle now, make her see me in a whole new light, & not have my boss view me as a liar just to get ahead? Details; details." Maybe he can call Rachel Dolezal, former head of the Spokane, Washington NAACP, for advice on how to overcome lying on a job application. Just kidding! 

Posted · Hidden by MTC, June 16, 2015 - religious
Hidden by MTC, June 16, 2015 - religious

the best thing sam could have done for himself career-wise was to keep his mouth shut. as much as people wont admit it, there are a lot of homophobic people

People won't admit it because there is no such thing as "homophobia" which literally means fear of sameness.  It's more most people are afraid to admit they have morals and a belief system that distinguishes right from wrong.

Like Ruksak stated, the only reason Sam got a shot in the NFL and CFL is because he said he was gay and that is one of the things wrong with the whole situation.  In today's world:

• If an unqualified white person is given a job because he/she white, it's an outrage.
  • If an unqualified Christian person is given a job because he/she is a Christian, it's an outrage.
  • If an unqualified gay person is given a job because he/she is gay, it's cause for celebration.

And here is the thing, if this post is not edited and or deleted I am sure I will get some responses that call me all sorts of names, talk about my intolerance, etc.  Yet in the above three scenarios (and numerous other similar ones) I think all three are wrong.  No unqualified person, should be given a job (or other opportunities) because of race, religion or choices.

I've now seen the link from the story on NFL.com.....   I now think the story is likely true....   but I'd love to hear from Sam before I pass judgement.      If he left because teammates were telling him "he's not very good"  I would not be supportive of Sam.  

As we both know SW1,  The NFL is a results oriented business.   If you get a shot,  you have to produce,  otherwise,  you're not around long.     If Sam has left because the going got rough,  well,  I won't shed a tear for him.  

It's supposed to be rough.

Beautifully stated NCF. Sometimes, you're just not good enough. I wish I could play percussion on tour with the Scorpions too, but that's never gonna happen either. At a certain point, Michael Sam must turn the page & close this NFL book forever. The only shame here is lying to yourself Mr. Sam. We all have gifts, but football on a professional level isn't yours sir. Sorry. 

I haven't watched a lot of film on him.  But is he really a bad football player?  If I recall correctly, he tested poorly at the Combine/at his pro day.  But he still led the SEC in sacks and I thought people were saying he had a decent preseason last year.  Is he really that bad of a football player?

I haven't watched a lot of film on him.  But is he really a bad football player?  If I recall correctly, he tested poorly at the Combine/at his pro day.  But he still led the SEC in sacks and I thought people were saying he had a decent preseason last year.  Is he really that bad of a football player?

I think he's alright for what he does, but the knock on him I read is he's too one-dimensional. He's strictly a pass rusher, but as a pass rusher, he's considered undersized. There were players competing for jobs who were tested as bigger and faster. The question was if Michael Sam's heart for the game was bigger than theirs, but clearly not if these reports on him are true.

Basically, what you're left with is a locker room distraction who isn't as good as any of his competition. There were questions if he was or wasn't a locker room distraction, but after this report, I'm inclined to think he was.

I think he's alright for what he does, but the knock on him I read is he's too one-dimensional. He's strictly a pass rusher, but as a pass rusher, he's considered undersized. There were players competing for jobs who were tested as bigger and faster. The question was if Michael Sam's heart for the game was bigger than theirs, but clearly not if these reports on him are true.

Basically, what you're left with is a locker room distraction who isn't as good as any of his competition. There were questions if he was or wasn't a locker room distraction, but after this report, I'm inclined to think he was.

I see, that makes sense.  Thanks for the info!

he made a career choice of coming out from the closet.  it was gonna be mt everest to climb.  locker room is vulgar. 9 out of 10 guys are probably  a  nasty macho adrenaline junkies.

maybe he should start his own firm that reaches out to gay athletes. 

If Tim Tebow (who sucks) can gain a following in his career too for saying he's a christian then I don't think it should matter if Michael Sam told everyone he is gay too.

Edited by Nadine
offensive

I haven't watched a lot of film on him. But is he really a bad football player? If I recall correctly, he tested poorly at the Combine/at his pro day. But he still led the SEC in sacks and I thought people were saying he had a decent preseason last year. Is he really that bad of a football player?

Like ReMyDy said he is to much of a distraction compare to skills. If he was a better player then having the distractions wouldn't be as big. His skill just doesn't go good with the distractions you get

Keep in mind that the media scrutinizes everything... I get what you're saying but he never asked for this type of attention, as well as the stories about him that are always over exaggerated. Yes he is a mediocre football player, but it is also the social media that blows up the fact that they make him seem better than he actually is. So you can keep out the fact that if someone comes out of the closet.... that it makes them a better football player by default. None of that matters

“All I know is I heard somebody made a comment about him, about how he wasn’t very good and wasn’t having a very good camp,” the person said. “He took it personally and was pouting in his room. It’s very strange. I have no idea what’s going on. He might have a personal issue.”

The whole situation is bizarre, as Sam certainly seemed excited for the opportunity when he made these comments after signing with the Alouettes. It will be interesting to see if he returns or just gives up on football altogether.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_michael_sam_was_pouting_after_teammate_made_comment_about_him/18975523?linksrc=story_home_module_head_18975523

This dude sounds all drama.

He seems like a perfect Jerry Springer material

This dude sounds all drama.

He seems like a perfect Jerry Springer material

I  don't know what his intentions were when he told everyone he was gay, but I think he has found that all the scrutiny is worse than if he had kept it in the closet.  Now he's got more social pressure than he can deal with on top of the pressure of trying to make a football team.  Clearly it seems like he's folding for sure.   If he's serious he's got to get back on the horse and make a stronger run at it. Running away isn't going to solve it.

Keep in mind that the media scrutinizes everything... I get what you're saying but he never asked for this type of attention, as well as the stories about him that are always over exaggerated. Yes he is a mediocre football player, but it is also the social media that blows up the fact that they make him seem better than he actually is. So you can keep out the fact that if someone comes out of the closet.... that it makes them a better football player by default. None of that matters

He never asked for attention?

Did you see the video of him kissing his boyfriend with cake all over their mouths celebrating him being drafted?

There are over 200 college players drafted every season and I never seen anybody celebrate like that before.

He never asked for attention?

Did you see the video of him kissing his boyfriend with cake all over their mouths celebrating him being drafted?

There are over 200 college players drafted every season and I never seen anybody celebrate like that before.

According to him when I watched his interview with Oprah he claims that the camera men were not supposed to still be filming at that point when he was kissing his boyfriend.  Who knows, but did he really honestly think those camera sharks would not put that moment out there for the world to see?

According to him when I watched his interview with Oprah he claims that the camera men were not supposed to still be filming at that point when he was kissing his boyfriend.  Who knows, but did he really honestly think those camera sharks would not put that moment out there for the world to see?

I honestly think he was a bit naive/short-sided about how the media and public would scrutinize him. I also think it has gotten to him and he can't deal with the pressure and scrutiny, and that perhaps he thought he wanted the attention and quickly realized he did not. Basically, he isn't thick skinned enough to deal with the place he stepped into. That said, kudos to him for trying and hopefully in the future the next guy to come out won't have to deal with as much as he did (or he will be able to do it). 

It still fascinates me from a sociological perspective that gay female athletes are embraced (or at least it isn't discussed as an issue), while males have to stay closeted or deal with constant attention. 

I honestly think he was a bit naive/short-sided about how the media and public would scrutinize him. I also think it has gotten to him and he can't deal with the pressure and scrutiny, and that perhaps he thought he wanted the attention and quickly realized he did not. Basically, he isn't thick skinned enough to deal with the place he stepped into. That said, kudos to him for trying and hopefully in the future the next guy to come out won't have to deal with as much as he did (or he will be able to do it). 

It still fascinates me from a sociological perspective that gay female athletes are embraced (or at least it isn't discussed as an issue), while males have to stay closeted or deal with constant attention. 

One of my previous posts in this thread pretty much make the same conclusions as you regarding Sam.  Regarding the latter part of your post I think straight women overall deal with Gays very differently than straight men.  Straight women seem to be accepting of gay men and women as a whole more than men are. 

Speaking for myself as a male I could never see myself having a gay male friend(intimate or non intimate), but females do it all the time.  My intention is not to set standards for other people, and I could be wrong but I feel it's definitely a much harder thing for straight males to accept than straight females whether it's on religious grounds or whatever the case. 

Gay workers get fired from their jobs everyday and discriminated on over their sexuality and no one cares at all. 

If he wasn't gay, you wouldn't care to ridicule him every step of the way for doing nothing. He's not in the NFL anymore, you would think the typical crowd would be happy with that. 

If this was true, everyone would say "I'm gay" just to get the job they want in life.

It don't work that easy. 

Every Michael Sam thread on this forum turns into gay bashing. Every single one. No one can ever criticize him as a player without the "but he's gay and that's the only reason he's famous" comments. 

That's because men have more pressure on them to not be gay. Gay women are exploited a lot easier and it's more acceptable. However, American society don't want their men to turn out gay, they gotta be REAL MEN. 

Gay male athletes are largely frowned upon by society cause they don't fit the mold of being "Real Men" as people love (John Wayne image, whatever it is they see as a "real man", normally it has to deal with a "tough" guy, and extreme masculinity).

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, June 20, 2015 - Personal Shot?
Hidden by SteelCityColt, June 20, 2015 - Personal Shot?

That's because men have more pressure on them to not be gay. Gay women are exploited a lot easier and it's more acceptable. However, American society don't want their men to turn out gay, they gotta be REAL MEN. 

Gay male athletes are largely frowned upon by society cause they don't fit the mold of being "Real Men" as people love (John Wayne image, whatever it is they see as a "real man", normally it has to deal with a "tough" guy, and extreme masculinity).

Anyone else notice the irony of a man who complains about American society wanting their men to be REAL MEN, and TOUGH GUYS and extremely masculine....    this coming from a guy whose internet name is......

Bogie......        :facepalm: