Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson ceiling.

3nk1du

Well this topic is to comment about Henry Anderson ceiling. 

What do you think is his ceiling?

I think he can improve a lot i have to tell you that he looks kind of fat (i think he can lose some fat and win a lot of muscle), he had good numbers at the combine but i think he is more athletic that we give credit of, he had a good 3 cone drill, 20 yds shuttle,i haven't seen the bench press of Anderson but i think he is on the 30s range. 

I would love to see Anderson to develop as a freaking monster JJ Watt  but being realistic i think he could be like Justin Smith he was a great player but IMO not to Watt's level.
Also Anderson could won like 10-15 lbs more but i would prefer that he lose some fat and win muscle.

After a year with a NFL strength program but taking care of his weight Anderson could be really good

I don't know why many members of the forum want him to win weight, we know that having the heaviest team doesn't imply that we are gonna stop the run.

Watt have the best work ethic on NFL , he wanted to be the best and he became the best defender on the league.

0.jpg

This one was taken on his pro day.

J+J+Watt+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Houston+Texa

Watt isn't as heavy as many of "our" prototype DL 310 lb +, he is listed around 289 ~ 295 lbs.

f1db256ee7ed5f8b365186915d9b9961.jpg

Justin Smith is listed around 285 ~ 290 lbs.

Justin Smith like. He is going to be a superstar. I think in a year or two he'll be considered one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league. I think he's going to be great this year too. It wouldn't surprise me if he's starting by the middle of the year.

Looks like Anderson needs to hit the weight room a bit to be in the same category as the other two.

That's why i think he is gonna be much better after year one, after he hit the GYM really hard.

This thing with players needing to gain weight drives me nuts sometimes. Being leaner and able to move faster, shed blocks is better. Watt and others are good examples. I don't watch Justin Smith too much but I do watch Watt once in a while and I'm not afraid to admit that when I saw Anderson playing he reminded me of Watt. I'm not saying he will become as good as Watt but he could get close.

I think he'll be a solid contributor....   4-6 sacks per year...   maybe one year with 8...   but that would probably be the outlier...

Good in tackles and tackles for loss....

A good to very good player,  but not more....

Grigs and Pags talked about him getting to 300 or 305, but that's about it....

That would be great and all, but in 3-4 years down the road, we wouldn't be able to afford him being as good as Watts. Especially with a $100 million contract.

Not true. Players only get that type of contract when there isn't an elite QB on a team. If Anderson does pan out and he becomes a star, he'll get like a $45 million dollar deal. That's about what a guy like J.J. Watt would make on a team like the Packers.

The big bucks should always go to the QB and the LT

As soon as we drafted this guy, I immediately started looking up his numbers compared to Watt.  He is not as athletic as Watt, but he is slightly bigger.  He is not going to put up Watt-like numbers, or be the next JJ Watt, but he could be a lot like Justin Smith.

Although, to be honest, Justin Smith is one of those "country-strong" freaks of nature (probably used to bench-press cows for fun or something), and Anderson would have to hit the weight room HARD to get on Smiths' level.

On tape, Anderson just doesn't "pop" the way Watt does, but if he can demand double teams like Smith, then we got a "filthy" steal (as Mayock put it) in this draft.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Can we stop comparing every tall, white 34 end to JJ Watt? Watt is a physical freak

Get used to it.  JJ Watt is the current Gold Standard, so everybody is going to be compared to him.

All 32 teams are looking for the next JJ Watt, including the Texans, because you know what's better than having JJ Watt on your DLine?  Having TWO JJ Watts on your DLine.

We can just stop the JJ Watt comparisons. He's a once in a generation freak talent a la Andrew Luck. We can only hope he is a good 3-4 DE for us. Just wish he were a few years younger.

Nobody, including the Texans, knew this when he was coming out of college.  That's why he was selected in the middle of the first round and not 1st overall.

Everyone is hoping to get the next Andrew Luck or JJ Watt, and if they're lucky, they will steal them in later rounds.

I think Anderson is a solid player, and I hope he works extremely hard to elevate his game, much like Watt has done.  Also, he is only 23... how old do you want him to be?  It's rare for a 20-21 year old to be done with college, much less pro-ready...

Can we stop comparing every tall, white 34 end to JJ Watt? Watt is a physical freak

Agreed.

One was drafted 11th overall.     The other was drafted 93rd.

And there's good reason for that.

Anderson is never going to be JJW.       If he can just be the best Henry Anderson he can be,  then Colts' fans will be very, very happy!

We can just stop the JJ Watt comparisons. He's a once in a generation freak talent a la Andrew Luck. We can only hope he is a good 3-4 DE for us. Just wish he were a few years younger.

A few years younger? Much younger and he would need pampers.

Watt had a better 40 time coming out 4.8 vs 5

Watt had a better 3 Cone at 6.88 vs 7.2

Anderson did have a better 20 yard shuttle at 4.19 vs 4.21

Watt, IMHO will end up being a HOF player

Anderson will be MUCH better than his draft position

Watt is an amazing talent, Anderson isnt in the same league...........

But

Give Anderson the next two offseasons to build some muscle and lose some baby fat

I think he will be the best DL player the Indy have had (in the 3-4)

Watt had a better 40 time coming out 4.8 vs 5

Watt had a better 3 Cone at 6.88 vs 7.2

Anderson did have a better 20 yard shuttle at 4.19 vs 4.21

Watt, IMHO will end up being a HOF player

Anderson will be MUCH better than his draft position

Watt is an amazing talent, Anderson isnt in the same league...........

But

Give Anderson the next two offseasons to build some muscle and lose some baby fat

I think he will be the best DL player the Indy have had (in the 3-4)

Well, technically they are in the same league ;)

JJ Watt is indeed physically gifted, but so is Clowney and so was RAndy Moss, etc...if you have watched any video of Watt, then you'll see it is his "will to win" that separates him from others.  If Anderson has that type of desire, then he may be our JJ Watt.  College tape is an indicator, but it is not the be all end all.  Walter Payton's heart was so huge, but nobody really knew it until they saw it in the pros.

JJ Watt is indeed physically gifted, but so is Clowney and so was RAndy Moss, etc...if you have watched any video of Watt, then you'll see it is his "will to win" that separates him from others. If Anderson has that type of desire, then he may be our JJ Watt. College tape is an indicator, but it is not the be all end all. Walter Payton's heart was so huge, but nobody really knew it until they saw it in the pros.

Exactly, then you had guys who were far more gifted (Julius peppers) that didn't do near as much. It all starts with the heart and desire to be the best ( jerry rice).

lmao to Any comparison to Watt or Smith.
They are athletic freaks, the opposite of Anderson.
There is no reason to expect he can consistently hold his ground against the rush Now.
 Nor be much of a rusher against NFL talent.
  A Ceiling?  Maybe a poor man`s Jarad Allen without the pass rush. Solid.

JJ Watt is indeed physically gifted, but so is Clowney and so was RAndy Moss, etc...if you have watched any video of Watt, then you'll see it is his "will to win" that separates him from others.  If Anderson has that type of desire, then he may be our JJ Watt.  College tape is an indicator, but it is not the be all end all.  Walter Payton's heart was so huge, but nobody really knew it until they saw it in the pros.

Henry3.gif

Stuff like this. He didn't beat the block with power or speed, he just hustled his butt off and made a play that he probably had no business making. There's nothing like this from Arik Armstead. If Anderson doesn't succeed in the NFL, it won't be for lack of effort on his part.

Well this topic is to comment about Henry Anderson ceiling. 

What do you think is his ceiling?

I think he can improve a lot i have to tell you that he looks kind of fat (i think he can lose some fat and win a lot of muscle), he had good numbers at the combine but i think he is more athletic that we give credit of, he had a good 3 cone drill, 20 yds shuttle,i haven't seen the bench press of Anderson but i think he is on the 30s range. 

I would love to see Anderson to develop as a freaking monster JJ Watt  but being realistic i think he could be like Justin Smith he was a great player but IMO not to Watt's level.

Also Anderson could won like 10-15 lbs more but i would prefer that he lose some fat and win muscle.

After a year with a NFL strength program but taking care of his weight Anderson could be really good

I don't know why many members of the forum want him to win weight, we know that having the heaviest team doesn't imply that we are gonna stop the run.

Watt have the best work ethic on NFL , he wanted to be the best and he became the best defender on the league.

0.jpg

This one was taken on his pro day.

J+J+Watt+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Houston+Texa

Watt isn't as heavy as many of "our" prototype DL 310 lb +, he is listed around 289 ~ 295 lbs.

f1db256ee7ed5f8b365186915d9b9961.jpg

Justin Smith is listed around 285 ~ 290 lbs.

If this guy is so good why was he not drafted higher?

As soon as we drafted this guy, I immediately started looking up his numbers compared to Watt.  He is not as athletic as Watt, but he is slightly bigger.  He is not going to put up Watt-like numbers, or be the next JJ Watt, but he could be a lot like Justin Smith.

Although, to be honest, Justin Smith is one of those "country-strong" freaks of nature (probably used to bench-press cows for fun or something), and Anderson would have to hit the weight room HARD to get on Smiths' level.

On tape, Anderson just doesn't "pop" the way Watt does, but if he can demand double teams like Smith, then we got a "filthy" steal (as Mayock put it) in this draft.

I couldn't have agreed more with your post. I believe your right on. 

Henry3.gif

Stuff like this. He didn't beat the block with power or speed, he just hustled his butt off and made a play that he probably had no business making. There's nothing like this from Arik Armstead. If Anderson doesn't succeed in the NFL, it won't be for lack of effort on his part.

I agree

lmao to Any comparison to Watt or Smith.

They are athletic freaks, the opposite of Anderson.

There is no reason to expect he can consistently hold his ground against the rush Now.

Nor be much of a rusher against NFL talent.

A Ceiling? Maybe a poor man`s Jarad Allen without the pass rush. Solid.

Jared Allen? You people just can't help yourselves can you?

Someone said he looks fat . I don't see it watched his combine just cant see any wiggle and jiggle there. Is he ripped with definition ? No , maybe in time , but more important in my book is what Superman referred to is his drive .