Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeflateGate: Brady suspension expected (mega merge / updated)

HtownColt

Something to consider here about competitive advantage. If Brady misses Pitt game and Pats lose and then he is back for Colts game and Pats win then Pitt could have a tie breaker over Colts just by virtue of the Steelers not having to go up against Brady.

This isn't about the Colts, it's about the Pats getting a deserving punishment.

Brady isn't guaranteed for the Colts game, either.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What follows is going to be speculation - so if speculation makes your head explode you are forewarned and may wish to turn the page ;-)

1.  What IF the Patriots really have been doing this for years and years?  I wish I were a statistician and could calculate the players that have left the team and what their increases of fumbles and dropped passes were at the next team as well as the guys that fumbled with prior teams and not with the patriots.  I would imagine it could be proved statistically probable if indeed it has been a long-standing practice.

2.  What IF they begin to question former team mates and dig into it further and discover more corroboration of a long standing issue?  If someone holds a grudge they may have already come forward in private to let the league know.

3.  What IF they issue the punishment for this one episode and reserve the right to readdress the issue if they discover it was a long-term affair?  Remember, they dealt with the domestic violence issue too quickly and too lightly and the firestorm that created when the tape came out.

How would that change your perception of the importance of this issue?  

How would that change your perception of appropriate punishment?

When would you consider the extreme step of stripping a title like Wig asked?  Considering some years teams make the playoffs by the outcome of a single game won by just points, a long history of this behavior could have given them a ticket(s) to the big dance.  

Remember Brady's interview during the playoffs, "I'm a bleaping machine in the cold.  I know exactly how many layers to wear down to what degree..." and I assume it isn't all that farfetched that it might be added "and exactly how many pounds of pressure to leave in the balls for each degree of cold"

Here's the link to that interview/article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455540/article/tom-brady-im-a-bleeping-machine-in-cold-weather

Yeah. lots of venom. They feel the report was written in such a way to paint the picture the league wanted which is probably true as obviously the league wanted this to come out the way it did ... but man they might be messing with the wrong player on this one ... if nothing else it will be entertaining ...

The wrong player? LOL...tom brady is a * ant compared to the NFL. Timmy brady's mouthpieces are going to get him in more trouble...the NFL does not like to be criticized by it's players and it would be a good idea for the false allegations(setup, conspiracy crap) to stop. It's not helping his case and the only people falling for it are the sheep called pats fans.

Anything that results in 2 games is a disappointment.  And I say 4 games as the absolute minimum.  I'd still expect a hefty fine.  I'm really interested to see what happens to Belichick and the Patriots in terms of punishments, if anything.

I'm with ya minimum 4 games - IMO 1.000.000  fine & loss of a draft pick IMO has to be a first so this never happens again .

Belicheck is guilty by association  this I'm not clear on but it happened on his watch   - IMO Kraft  as the leader of the Organization who did not cooperate should also be held accountable .

Give him 6 just like they gave irsay. It's not about us playing them that week, I always like going up against the best.

They need to get his attention here. That was blatant cheating and his legacy deserves the hit

And there are people suggesting that deflated balls had no outcome on the games or Brady's career in the past. It doesn't matter. Rose never bet on his team to lose, so someone could argue his gambling had no outcome on the games. But yet he's banned from his sport for life.Anther analogy. What if Brady has been cheating since the mid 2000's? What of all of those passing duels with Manning where fans are glued to the TV watching records being set in some years were the result of Brady cheating to overcome his 6th round small hands and weak grip?Compare that to MacGuire and Sosa when they were cheating to set their records. Later, fans felt baseball took advantage of them because the players, in many ways, committed fraud.Is the NFL going to become like baseball where the fans stop taking the game seriously?I'm going to ask, who will be cheating on which rule next season?

This is exactly why the NFL has to make an example via Tom Brady. If they (Goodell) choose not to, all hell will break loose. Fans will lose interest and fall away. Maybe not at first, but over time it will happen, especially with players who violate rules and keep getting their wrists slapped or fined only by the NFL. If any entity is deemed as being too large for that to happen, I suggest taking a look at history first.

2 games would be really disappointing, in my opinion.  Sean Payton got suspended for a full season and he didn't have anything to do with the bounties.  I certainly don't expect a full season suspension, but I think 4 games at the very least.

I have to agree....maybe everybody does it but he got caught..the ballboys ddi what their man wanted..does anyone doubt that/?

....4 is fitting..and the NFLPA will try to (and probably will) knock it down to 2

Also, seriously. No one is taking titles away. If you honestly believe that's a remote possibility you've lost your mind.

If Brady gets suspended, it will be because of some Combination of lack of cooperation/being dishonest about what allegedly happened.

Yeah. lots of venom. They feel the report was written in such a way to paint the picture the league wanted which is probably true as obviously the league wanted this to come out the way it did ... but man they might be messing with the wrong player on this one ... if nothing else it will be entertaining ...

Other posters weren't happy about this post! haha

The league wouldn't want this for any team though....

Especially for the Pats.... Let's be honest. I know your a fan of them and I respect that but the NFL had pampered the Pats and Brady for years. They were the closest to a dynasty any team has gotten because of skill and maybe a little cheating/pushing the line here and there. The NFL had to protect them... They just can't anymore.

Great post SW1. Brady is planning on speaking after the punishment is handed down. He said that last night at Salem State when he spoke. He is waiting for the league's process to be completed.

Thanks for the update AMF. I value due process in this country & I'm a firm believer in letting people tell me in their own words what happened in a controversial event/scandal. I promise to keep an open mind. 

If I was in Brady's shoes, I would hope that a public audience grants me the same courtesy. I owe Tom that or anyone accused of violating a well established rule.

Yes, as much as I detest the Cowboys & I do, if Tony Romo was accused of deflating footballs, I want him to have a fair shot at explaining his view of things too. 

Brady should get a 4 to 8 game suspension. Pats should lose  their 1st and 2nd rd picks for the next 2 yrs. I know Goodell won't do this. But this is not the first time that they have been caught cheating. But it sure would put everyone on notice to play by the rules 

I should add that it's extremely annoying walking out to the car with a chorus of that every morning. They're going nuts now that spring is finally here.

When I hit play my jack Russell went crazy, running around the house lol. She jumped on top of my girlfriend who was sitting in the recliner and started sniffing around like the whistling was coming from somewhere in the chair lmao.

As a sign of the times, in certain circles in football fandom there is a hatred for the enforcers of (unimportant) rules and the snitches who aid them. The Colts are regarded as snitches in Deflate gate.

So I'll predict Brady's suspension will be four or five games...just enough so that Brady will return the week of the Colts game and the NFL can profit from all of the snitch haters rooting for Brady while the rest of the world roots for the Colts.

As a sign of the times, in certain circles in football fandom there is a hatred for the enforcers of (unimportant) rules and the snitches who aid them. The Colts are regarded as snitches in Deflate gate.

So I'll predict Brady's suspension will be four or five games...just enough so that Brady will return the week of the Colts game and the NFL can profit from all of the snitch haters rooting for Brady while the rest of the world roots for the Colts.

That makes sense....what the NFL loses in the Week 1 matchup, which thanks to suspensions is now shaping up as an extra preseason game....they'll make up on the back end with the Pats - Colts rematch.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rules. 

That makes sense....what the NFL loses in the Week 1 matchup, which thanks to suspensions is now shaping up as an extra preseason game....they'll make up on the back end with the Pats - Colts rematch.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rules. 

Love me fore the money, come on, come on, listen to the money talk.

Spoken like a true Rush fan!

:)

we've taken care of everything from the words your read to the songs you sing to the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all, all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.

We are the priests of the temples of Syrix, ALL THE GIFTS OF LIFE, ARE HELLD WITHIN THESE WALLS.

If I'm Roger Goodell, 6-8 weeks for Brady. Set the example. For the Patriots organization - hit 'em where it hurts - draft pick(s). Set the example. And do not let them come up for air. Fight appeal(s) all your might without fear of being too harsh. This will be an NFL problem if it's not dealt with appropriately. A big problem. People do not like cheaters. Period.

If I'm Roger Goodell, 6-8 weeks for Brady. Set the example. For the Patriots organization - hit 'em where it hurts - draft pick(s). Set the example. And do not let them come up for air. Fight appeal(s) all your might without fear of being too harsh. This will be an NFL problem if it's not dealt with appropriately. A big problem. People do not like cheaters. Period.

I was about to say, 6-8 will get knocked to 2-4 with the history of player appeals to the NFL. If it's anything less then a full year suspension, whatever number they give out of the gate must not be reduced.

Edited by 21isSuperman

I agree.  I've been saying this all along. You couldn't write a better storyline for that game.

Goodell is not the one who will give out the penalty. That privilege goes to Vincent Jackson I think. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Not a good bet unless Pringles are involved

This is getting too deep. I'm a simple man of simple means who lives a hand to mouth existence. 

That being said, though my daughter's starvation is on the line, I'll take all comers. 

Brady gets a minimum of EIGHT (8) games, combined with fines toward the team's salary cap for 2 seasons.

Also, as a wildcard additive; Potential for testicular electrocution for Belichick (NOT part of the bet, I'm just showboating at this point).