Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is our starting safety right now?

Hoosiernsavga

I know he is our future but do you all think Geathers will be our starting safety right away along with Adams?

I hope he will be ready too start soon but i think Lowery may be our starter to begin the season if healthy.

Maybe Guy, Anderson, or McDonald competing as well. All seem to be very good ST players if nothing else.

I know he is our future but do you all think Geathers will be our starting safety right away along with Adams?

I hope he will be ready too start soon but i think Lowery may be our starter to begin the season if healthy.

Maybe Guy, Anderson, or McDonald competing as well. All seem to be very good ST players if nothing else.

Barring injury, it's Adams and Lowery.  Geathers would have to severely outplay those guys to start.  Colts value experience over raw talent.

Barring injury, it's Adams and Lowery.  Geathers would have to severely outplay those guys to start.  Colts value experience over raw talent.

It is my understanding that if a rook plays as well as a vet in spring training, the vet still gets the nod.  Experience (situational football) rules the day.  Rooks have elevat well above the vet to get the nod.  Earn your stripes, so to speak.  Do not know how long that will take...

Pick your poison. I hope Lowery proves to be more than just a marginal vet. If Geathers claims that starting spot, I hope it's because he's a stud, not because Lowery is inept.

My suspicions tell me this defense isn't going to be much improved over last year. Maybe Mathis+ Cole give this defense a much needed shot of play - making ability, but make no mistake, this team is going to have to be lights out on offense

Is D. Smith going to be the new Bob Sanders?  Other than that, I don't see any other place on the Defense.

He will have his role in our defense. Not only that he serves as great depth as last year we had Davis, Butler and Toler go down. I think he can step in and play nickel or outside and be just fine we really needed more solid depth at CB and he gives it to us.

We have guys that can start, but what does that mean. We dont have a starter that changes the dynamic of our defense. Geathers "downside" points reads like a rookie L Landry. Damn, i was trying to exaggerate, but thats really bad. P Dorsett over L Collins is more than just fan speak. Its truly indefensible. Taking a 5th WR/KR at ur deepest position, instead of a starter at ur biggest need is......... definately not the path most travelled.  

Geathers has two cut-ups on Draftbreakdown. The game vs Houston he looks like a first rounder. The game against BYU, not so much. I think he has upside with coaching. Sometimes he looks like a very deliberate mover, other times he looks explosive and instinctive. Physically, it's definitely all there.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Geathers may end up starting by the end of the year, but it will be Adams and Lowery Week 1.

He can cover but he's great at stopping the run. Lowery isn't good at either, he's a career backup. I'm just extremely disappointed we didn't draft defense in the 1st round after how bad the Patriots and Steerlers beat this team.

A safety who can't cover. That would have been a brilliant pick.

He can cover but he's great at stopping the run. Lowery isn't good at either, he's a career backup. I'm just extremely disappointed we didn't draft defense in the 1st round after how bad the Patriots and Steerlers beat this team.

As am I...however, not singling you out here, this next comment is for me as well, the time for complaining is about void.  Time to rally around our picks and support them as we colts fans do.  Maybe a couple picks shock the world and turn into beaters, but regardless, they are colts now.  Onto the September

Geathers will be starting by week 8 IMO. Lowery is just awful. But he'll still be starting at the beginning of the year unless Geathers is just straight up killing it to the point where it'd be dumb not to start him week 1. I think Geathers is going to be a stud personally. Now if we can only get a good young ball hawking safety to pair with him we'll be set. I'm hoping we try Smith at FS. He has the tackling skills and the ability IMO. I'm not worried about him being 1 inch shorter than a safety needs to be either.

It should have been Landon Collins(the best S in draft) but now it's Lowery.

Maybe you should say it 100 more times, then it will come true. Good God. Beating a dead horse isn't going to change anything. I guess it just makes you feel better..... that you're right, and a professional front office is inept. Get a grip man, seriously.

We have guys that can start, but what does that mean. We dont have a starter that changes the dynamic of our defense. Geathers "downside" points reads like a rookie L Landry. Damn, i was trying to exaggerate, but thats really bad. P Dorsett over L Collins is more than just fan speak. Its truly indefensible. Taking a 5th WR/KR at ur deepest position, instead of a starter at ur biggest need is......... definately not the path most travelled.

You must not understand the draft or Grigson and the Colts approach... it's called BPA!!! And on their board, Dorsett was clearly that. He's got tons of ability and talent. Top level speed, elusive and agile and has natural recieving hands. Needs to learn the route tree and polish up on route running but once he does that, he's gonna be very tough to stop. This guy has a combination of skills and athletic ability that are hard to find. It wasnt about need!!! The longer folks take to understand that, the more they will continue to be upset.

So one defensive pick in the 1st round and the Colts are suddenly Super Bowl champions?  I think that's a little optimistic.  And a little naive (no offense).

And Collins does not fit our defensive philosophy.

The Colts like interchangeable safeties so that they can switch up their locations/positioning on the field and confuse the opposing offense.  QB doesn't know who the FS is or where he's going to be post-snap.  QB doesn't know if he has identified the Strong Safety in the box or not (creates match-ups problems when deciding way to run and whether to run or pass).  Et cetera. 

Collins is almost strictly an "in-the-box" safety, which is why he was a good fit for the Giants.

You must not understand the draft or Grigson and the Colts approach... it's called BPA!!! And on their board, Dorsett was clearly that. He's got tons of ability and talent. Top level speed, elusive and agile and has natural recieving hands. Needs to learn the route tree and polish up on route running but once he does that, he's gonna be very tough to stop. This guy has a combination of skills and athletic ability that are hard to find. It wasnt about need!!! The longer folks take to understand that, the more they will continue to be upset.

You're right, i do not understand. I thought that i could post any combination of words i felt like as long as im not purposely attacking anyone or being disrespectful. And since my post wasn't removed or received any warnings, it must have been ok for me to say.

So ummmm.......what's ur problem.

I don't "have to understand". Im just a fan. My role in this is to second guess things i may "not understand" about the team i follow. Im not switching teams over a draft pick. We wil see how it plays out.

But with that said, i think ur BPA logic is flawed. Its not just BPA, its BPA at a position of need. If the BPA was a QB, do you think we would have taken a QB in round 1? I obviously do not know, but i doubt it. Relax buddy, its not uncommon for fans to not agree with draft picks. I was simply saying WR was not a position of need. T.Y & Donte are developing nicely, we addressed WR twice in FA, & we have 2 capable pass catchers at TE. No one........even you, had us taking a WR in rnd 1........period.

You're right, i do not understand. I thought that i could post any combination of words i felt like as long as im not purposely attacking anyone or being disrespectful. And since my post wasn't removed or received any warnings, it must have been ok for me to say.

I don't "have to understand". Im just a fan. My role in this is to second guess things i may "not understand" about the team i follow. Im not switching teams over a draft pick. We wil see how it plays out.

But with that said, i think ur BPA logic is flawed. Its not just BPA, its BPA at a position of need. If the BPA was a QB, do you think we would have taken a QB in round 1? I obviously do not know, but i doubt it. Relax buddy, its not uncommon for fans to not agree with draft picks. I was simply saying WR was not a position of need. T.Y & Donte are developing nicely, we addressed WR twice in FA, & we have 2 capable pass catchers at TE. No one........even you, had us taking a WR in rnd 1........period.

Its BPA at a position of need ONLY if that BPA at a position of need is graded the same as that BPA or extremely close to the grade of the BPA...That's according to Grigson....If you have a grading scale like this:

and you have a player graded 6.5 and a need graded 5.5 your not going to take that 5.5 player...Now if you have a player ranked 6.5 and a need player at 6.0....Then maybe

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

Here is how I got the grading scale on the link

Its BPA at a position of need ONLY if that BPA at a position of need is graded the same as that BPA or extremely close to the grade of the BPA...That's according to Grigson....If you have a grading scale like this:

and you have a player graded 6.5 and a need graded 5.5 your not going to take that 5.5 player...Now if you have a player ranked 6.5 and a need player at 6.0....Then maybe

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

To be clear,  the numbers you put up are bench marks.   But they're NOT the only numbers.

So it's not 5.0 and then 5.5.    There are grades of 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 in between.

Same for all other bench marks.

And it's that way on all grading systems.... 

And lots of times there might be 5-10 guys with the exact same score...    so, if they have to, a GM can break a tie with an extended score of say  5.24 vs. 5.22

When you're on the clock you try not to be making too many decisions.   You hope you have done the work in advance so you're not all looking at each other arguing and debating over decisions that should have been made long before the big moment.  You don't want 5-10 guys with the exact same score,  you hopefully made those decisions to set-up your board well before D-Day.

Right now it's Allen and Lowry...

But at some point,  not this year,  but perhaps in 2016,  then Geathers, who needs lots of work,  gets phased in.

Guy and McDonald are the projects.

That's your top-5.

Anderson is the 6th safety on the roster.    But as of today,  that's all we have.

Right now it's Allen and Lowry...

But at some point,  not this year,  but perhaps in 2016,  then Geathers, who needs lots of work,  gets phased in.

Guy and McDonald are the projects.

That's your top-5.

Anderson is the 6th safety on the roster.    But as of today,  that's all we have.

Adams and Lowery

To be clear,  the numbers you put up are bench marks.   But they're NOT the only numbers.

So it's not 5.0 and then 5.5.    There are grades of 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 in between.

Same for all other bench marks.

And it's that way on all grading systems.... 

And lots of times there might be 5-10 guys with the exact same score...    so, if they have to, a GM can break a tie with an extended score of say  5.24 vs. 5.22

When you're on the clock you try not to be making too many decisions.   You hope you have done the work in advance so you're not all looking at each other arguing and debating over decisions that should have been made long before the big moment.  You don't want 5-10 guys with the exact same score,  you hopefully made those decisions to set-up your board well before D-Day.

Thanks fellas, in my opinion, this is how the forum is suppose to work. At the end of the day, Go Colts.

Pagano is truly the DB guru people claim he is. However,I'm not sure training camp and pre-season is enough time for him to work his magic.

Gathered can stand to add a couple of pounds of muscle to his frame. Also, a lot of his other flaws will fade away with experience. I think they'll rotate him in to get his feet wet, but he won't start unless Lowery is that bad or injured.

Basically I see him playing a similar role as Jonathan Newsome last year. He'll get some snaps here and there.

My BPA logic??? I'm not the one who developed that strategy. I was simply telling you what Grigson and the Colts go by. And its only BPA according to need when there are a group of players that are all very closely rated or maybe even on their board. Then they will go with the player that fills a need. The fact is they drafted the BPA. They said it themselves. Thats all I'm saying. Sooner people realize this, the sooner they save themselves from being sooo upset.

D. Smith said last night that he is capable of playing safety. Maybe he gets a shot.

I think if any corner moves to safety it will be Butler. Smith will take over for Toler next year (or this year if the injury bug bites Toler again). Of our defense picks I think I like Gaethers the least. Hopefully Pagano can coach him up into a good player.