Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jared Cisneros

Would you do this trade for J.J. Watt?

This is purely a hypothetical situation and there are no rumors or anything, but would you trade Hilton, Vontae and Costanzo for J.J. Watt if the Texans offered? We would be trading a ton of talent, but we'd get arguably the best player in the NFL on our team. They'd be getting two elite players and a near elite player all at positions of need.

This is purely a hypothetical situation and there are no rumors or anything, but would you trade Hilton, Vontae and Costanzo for J.J. Watt if the Texans offered? We would be trading a ton of talent, but we'd get arguably the best player in the NFL on our team. They'd be getting two elite players and a near elite player all at positions of need.

No,  and I'm a huge JJ Watt admirer.

But that's entirely WAY too much.   That's not even a tough decision for me to make.

No,  and I'm a huge JJ Watt admirer.

But that's entirely WAY too much.   That's not even a tough decision for me to make.

Fair enough, I like him as well. What would you trade for him out of curiosity?

why dont you add our first round picks for the next 5 years while youre at it

Vontae is arguably the best CB in the game Idc what the media thinks if Sherman can be considered the best then Vontae can too

Watt is a generational talent, not just the best defender in the game now, but probably the best defender of the last 20 years. AC, Hilton and Davis are really good to great, but ultimately replaceable. 

Also, Watt costs just under $17m/year. If AC gets $7m/year, Hilton gets $8m/year (both conservative estimates, by the way), and you add Davis' $9m/year, you're actually saving $7m/year.  

Watt is a generational talent, not just the best defender in the game now, but probably the best defender of the last 20 years. AC, Hilton and Davis are really good to great, but ultimately replaceable.

Also, Watt costs just under $17m/year. If AC gets $7m/year, Hilton gets $8m/year (both conservative estimates, by the way), and you add Davis' $9m/year, you're actually saving $7m/year.

but our secondary becomes putrid and our o line of all things becomes even worse

I was thinking something similar to the bolded, this is why I created the thread. It will be a scenario that never happens, but It makes you think how good our top players are (besides Luck), and would you trade them for, what you said and I agree, is a generational talent. I would do it with FA and the draft coming up, we could get someone like Cobb to replace Hilton in this scenario if we needed too and draft a OT in the first two rounds to replace Constanzo. You just don't get many opportunities to get someone like J.J. Watt ever, and I think this would be worth it. 

I will say though, I'm glad that the majority wouldn't do it in a way, it shows the respect we have for our elite players and how valued they are among the Colts community.

I was thinking something similar to the bolded, this is why I created the thread. It will be a scenario that never happens, but It makes you think how good our top players are (besides Luck), and would you trade them for, what you said and I agree, is a generational talent. I would do it with FA and the draft coming up, we could get someone like Cobb to replace Hilton in this scenario if we needed too and draft a OT in the first two rounds to replace Constanzo. You just don't get many opportunities to get someone like J.J. Watt ever, and I think this would be worth it.

I will say though, I'm glad that the majority wouldn't do it in a way, it shows the respect we have for our elite players and how valued they are among the Colts community.

that and Vontae is my second favorite player on the team lol

but our secondary becomes putrid and our o line of all things becomes even worse

So add a new LT and a new CB. That's not that hard to do. It's even easier to find a WR who can produce. Maybe they aren't as good as the three guys we'd be giving up, at least not right away, but the cost would be more than offset by having Watt. Not saying it wouldn't hurt, but for Watt, it would be worth it.

So add a new LT and a new CB. That's not that hard to do. It's even easier to find a WR who can produce. Maybe they aren't as good as the three guys we'd be giving up, at least not right away, but the cost would be more than offset by having Watt. Not saying it wouldn't hurt, but for Watt, it would be worth it.

ehh I couldn't do it I'd do say Hilton castanzo but would find a way to keep Davis he is elite on his own

ehh I couldn't do it I'd do say Hilton castanzo but would find a way to keep Davis he is elite on his own

Davis had one elite year. Not to downplay him, I think he's great. I'd hate to lose him; I'd hate to lose any of them. I'm a HUGE Hilton fan, and have been since before we drafted him. But I'd get over it if it meant getting JJ Watt. 

Also, let's be straight, the Texans wouldn't consider this move, for all the reasons I've stated.

Outside of QBs, it's hard to find any truly untouchable players in the league. Especially if they don't touch the ball. Watt is one. Maybe the only one right now. Honorable mention to Gronkowski.

No. Mainly because I wouldn't want to set the offensive line back by trading Castonzo

I see all the responses in this thread are no from the Colts' perspective.  

I look at it from the other angle - I don't see anyway that Houston would make this trade.

no , maybe hilton and a 2nd

That would be an insult to houston

I look at it from the other angle - I don't see anyway that Houston would make this trade.

Yeah....as good a CB as Vontae is, that trade blows a serious hole in Houston's defense.

With injury/performance question marks still surrounding Jadeveon Clowney....their Front 7 turns completely ordinary without Watt.

It was a tough decision for me...But we have a bad O Line as is from Center to RT......Take away Castonzo and who wants to be the one to buy Lucks body bag? We also saw what we were minus Davis in the secondary.......I don't want to see that again if it can be helped for the forseeable future....Not to mention the way our secondary is without Davis there is no way Watt puts up those numbers here, He would not have the time to get to the QB because we would have wr's open all over the place(That's been proven already)......Hiltons a great player but replaceable.....But at the same point that's a hell of a lot of speed and talent to replace

That would set us back at least a year or two giving up all that

No way I do this trade. Although watt is probably the best defensive player in the league, Davis is near the top at CB and Castonzo is very reliable and should be considered for the pro bowl. Hilton is a great young weapon who already has chemistry with luck. Without Castonzo our OL is a mess and without Davis our secondary is a mess.

They need TE so I'd offer up Fleener and this years 1st and 2nd round picks. Not that they'd do that trade but it avoids us giving up our great young players.

They need TE so I'd offer up Fleener and this years 1st and 2nd round picks. Not that they'd do that trade but it avoids us giving up our great young players.

The 29th pick of the 1st and 2nd round plus a solid TE for a guy that has a chance to be the greatest defensive player ever? At least try to make it tempting for the texans.

Part of me would love JJ Watt playing for the Colts because I loved him playing for the WI Badgers. The dude can do everything shed double teams, knock down opposing QB passes, generate turnovers into TDs, & he's a very potent TE on offense as well. In addition, JJ's never gonna get arrested & embarrass your franchise either. 

Losing Vontae & Hilton comes at too steep a price tag though. Besides, the 2 things that bond my buddy QuizBoy & I together are our love of JJ & our contempt for the Dallas Cowboys. I don't wanna lose that connection man. LOL! 

I agree with this statement. There were two things that I did too make this as close of a trade as possible to where it could be realistic. 1.) Trade elite players for Watt. 2.) Trade players at positions of need for Watt. The question of the trade I asked is a loaded question because there are arguments that you could make for both sides to accept the trade or not. I think it could work or backfire, depending on the team. There was a post saying that the trade could set the Colts back a year, and that's possible. It could also push them towards a SB if we were to use FA and the draft correctly this year. It's a quality vs quantity trade, but just a fun scenario all in all. I do think a few Texans fans would take this trade based on talent and need, but more would probably pass.

No, as much as I love JJ Watt, that's too much. I'd trade a couple of 1st round picks for him. Maybe a few extras in as well.

Id be open to any trade that didn't involve Luck, TY or Vontae.

That would be an insult to houston

it would be more of an insult to Watt

Fair enough, I like him as well. What would you trade for him out of curiosity?

J....

Fair question....   and I'm NOT ignoring you....

I just haven't come up with a fair trade for both sides.    This one is seriously difficult!