Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you do this trade for J.J. Watt?

J....

Fair question....   and I'm NOT ignoring you....

I just haven't come up with a fair trade for both sides.    This one is seriously difficult!

I agree. I came up with the only thing I thought that was realistic that the Texans might do. It's hard to do these hypothetical trades lol!

I would make that trade in a heartbeat. The Texans would never make that trade though. Vontae is top tier, Hilton is top tier, and Castonzo is around the 10th best left tackle currently. The Texans are probably worse off for making this trade though. 

Castonzo would start at right tackle and Hilton would team with DeAndre Hopkins to form a nice duo at WR. Vontae starts at corner, but they would suffer a huge drop off on the defensive line. Clowney is a big question mark and rushing the passer becomes a big question. 

The Colts are Super Bowl contenders with this trade. Watt is the reason the Texans were a playoff caliber team. He would singlehandedly elevate our defense into the top 10. The Texans don't have an elite corner, don't need one with Watt. Solid corners suffice. Hilton is replaceable as is Castonzo. 

They still have a huge question mark at QB.

I would not do that trade.  JJ Watt is not helping the Texans beat the Colts as it stands right now. We were one game outside of the Super Bowl without having him.  No need to get rid of all our talent for that.  Also even if we did do that trade, what happens if Watt gets a serious injury?  Team would be naked.

I see all the responses in this thread are no from the Colts' perspective.  

I look at it from the other angle - I don't see anyway that Houston would make this trade.

yeah, I don't see them trading away one of the best players in the league and taking the $28 mil cap hit (if I read correctly). 

yeah, I don't see them trading away one of the best players in the league and taking the $28 mil cap hit (if I read correctly).

True. But I was even talking about it without regard to salary cap implications. His value far exceeds what they would get in return.

No i don't wanna face hitlon twice a year. ..i would seriously think about maybe trading our first round pick for the next two years. ...maybe...it would cost more then that..This is actually an interesting question

Of the three players Hilton is the most easily replaceable

I agree. I came up with the only thing I thought that was realistic that the Texans might do. It's hard to do these hypothetical trades lol!

Honestly,  I think it's not that hard to do a hypothetical.

Where it gets hard is when the trade involves a player the quality of Texas.    Because if you're a team like Texas,  and you decide to trade not just your best player,  but one of the 5-10 best players in the league,  then you have to be able to say to your fans....  "Look what we got for JJ Watt!    We got too much talent back to say "no" to.   We felt overwhelmed by this offer..."

Because otherwise, if your fan base doesn't understand why you traded your best player,  then you're screwed.

So, if your the Colts and you're trying to overwhelm the Texans, you're forced to give up too much in order to do it.   I think that makes doing a deal like this almost impossible.

You risk alienating more fans than you make happy as well as upsetting teammates....

Hmm interesting question. This is how I see this...

There isn't going to be a way to get both franchises to agree. Beca use the Texans know the talent they have in Watt. From their perspective it would mean us giving them Luck and Hilton for Watt and draft picks. Because in their eyes we then flip the script with them having the stable offense and we would have an amazing defense.

From the Colts perspective we see Watt as a Kay to building a dynasty. Someone we will not be ready to derail all of our progress. So I would say we would offer TY, draft picks (a ton of them), and Allen. We would see it as giving them the offense for a QB and building blocks while we forego our future building to Watt.

Man even then I garuntee neither side would be happy lol. I just don't know... good question :-)