Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Multiple Players

B-B

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I wondered if his arms were to big to even wrap anyone up...like he couldn't bring them together lol....no honestly I'm sad because I know we saw him as an enforcer type on the back end but he never materialized.

Seriously, don't make me hit the archives and dig up all the comments from people who wanted Landry in 2013, and who were excited when we signed him. 

I mean after 2012. Yeah, Manning of course, but we didn't post-June 1 him. We did Brackett. No to the others, IIRC.

In 2013, there was only Zbikowski, who didn't have any meaningful bonus money. In 2014, there was only Satele.

No we haven't had hardly any dead money at all since the 2012 year. 

There's still an unanswered question about whether the team will use a post-June 1 designation on him. If so, we save $4m this year, and $6m next year. If not, we save $2.25m this year, and $7.75m next year. 

Andrew Jackson didn't have any unamortized bonus, and didn't have any unpaid guarantees. Saves $510K in 2015.

I'm a little confused about Xavier Nixon. I was under the impression that he was an exclusive rights free agent, no longer under contract. I guess when it says he was waived, it means his ERFA rights were waived. No impact to the cap either way.

Can you release him now and use the post June 1 designation ? 

Can you release him now and use the post June 1 designation ? 

I'm not at all sure about that. Surface research shows that some players with the designation have been released a few days prior to the start of the league year. Brackett, for instance, was released 4-5 days before the new league year. I don't know if there's a specific date you have to wait for.

Seriously, don't make me hit the archives and dig up all the comments from people who wanted Landry in 2013, and who were excited when we signed him. 

We needed a safety and he was siting there. Had a monster game vs the Colts that year. If I remember very controversial signing . Had a nice year with the jets but was mostly disappointing in previous years. I think if you went back you would see the whole spectrum. Some liked , some didn't and some just didn't know what to think. I believe I was in the last category. Ehhh .. win some .. lose some. 

I'm not at all sure about that. Surface research shows that some players with the designation have been released a few days prior to the start of the league year. Brackett, for instance, was released 4-5 days before the new league year. I don't know if there's a specific date you have to wait for.

Me either. I think we can be pretty certain that they are taking the hit in 2015 . Really shouldn't mean anything as we are looking at over 30 mill in cap room. 

im not shocked to see landry go but i am little surprised.  this turns a position we needed to upgrade into a glaring hole. i think it means if there is a top three safety on the board then that is our first round pick.  unless we bring in a FA before then of course

id rather not draft safety in the first round, maybe grigs does have his eye on a FA

I agree here, I wanted to see what the former president was made of. It won't be a killer move by any means, but he was young and we only had 5 draft picks last year. I don't truly believe he was a troublemaker unless I'm missing something. He owned up to his crime. Maybe we'll re-sign him on the practice squad down the road (hopefully).

That wasn't AJ's first DUI.

We needed a safety and he was siting there. Had a monster game vs the Colts that year. If I remember very controversial signing . Had a nice year with the jets but was mostly disappointing in previous years. I think if you went back you would see the whole spectrum. Some liked , some didn't and some just didn't know what to think. I believe I was in the last category. Ehhh .. win some .. lose some.

I think a lot of people were "meh" over the signing and tried to convince themselves it could work.

Go find mine. I was one of the few people that didn't....give me a sec and I will dig it up. I expected this when I posted but not from you Supes :mindblow:

Those three groups exist with pretty much every signing. But I remember there being a lot of "go get Landry" stuff leading up to free agency, and a lot of celebrating when it happened. 

This is the problem with free agency. Most moves don't work the way you'd hope, and then fans point fingers in hindsight about how terrible those moves were. Yet, the cycle continues every offseason, with people asking for brand name free agents, when history proves that the odds aren't favorable. 

Go find mine. I was one of the few people that didn't....give me a sec and I will dig it up. I expected this when I posted but not from you Supes :mindblow:

I wasn't accusing you. I was agreeing with you. Most people expected him to be a good player, certainly not to flame out in two years, without having caused a single turnover, and having been suspended for four games. At the very least, he was expected to be a presence in the run game, like he was with the Jets, and he wasn't even that. 

I wasn't accusing you. I was agreeing with you. Most people expected him to be a good player, certainly not to flame out in two years, without having caused a single turnover, and having been suspended for four games. At the very least, he was expected to be a presence in the run game, like he was with the Jets, and he wasn't even that. 

Indeed....I don't know how to look up my old posts but I was very cautious. The only reason I wasn't upset with the signing was because we had Bethea who I thought would cover the FS spot and allow Landry to be a hammer in the run game....I wasn't very excited about his cover skills at all. I went back and looked at the signing thread....man you would have thought this guy was the next Ronnie Lott after reading it. That said even then people were talking about him being on the roids and looking like he cared more about lifting then practicing. Even in my wildest dreams I never thought he would be as ineffective as he turned out. My whole issue from the start was Grigson talking about having those intemidators as they get off the bus (like we are still in high school). I'd rather have a guy that scares offenses to throw his way then one that looks like a tough guy. All style and little substance. Kinda like our DL....biggest in the game but get moved all over when teams want to run it up the middle. Sad end to what we thought would be a great signing. Like I said Grigson isn't afraid to go after guys he wants....maybe a good sign though that he won't keep them either.

Oh and I'm not good with the emoticons...I meant it in a sarcastic way lol.

Andrew J's are a dime a dozen...   and when they can't stay out of trouble...???  Easy answer. .. 

I hate to see Andrew Jackson go. He seemed like he could be a pretty good backup. Now we're going to have to bring in a couple guys to be backups on top of adding a starter at ILB.

I hate to see Andrew Jackson go. He seemed like he could be a pretty good backup. Now we're going to have to bring in a couple guys to be backups on top of adding a starter at ILB.

According to Wikipedia, he's 247 years old and probably getting a bit brittle...Wait. What's that?...Oh. Never mind.

I think we were reminiscent of Bob Sanders and wanted a hard hitting safety. Landry can hit when he gets to the guy but needs to tackle as well as hit.

Landry doesn't even hit as hard as Bob, and sure as hell doesn't tackle as good either. If you guys can guess who our starters at safety are next season who? I say rolle at free, and man we need to draft a box safety, although in paganos defense he likes guys that can be versatile.

Mildly surprised to see Landry cut. I figured we'd hold onto him another year. Not opposed at all, however. We fell in love with him, then out, and then back in late in the season. Figured he bought enough good will to last one more year.

I agree. grigs must have his eye on a safety.

I'm glad to see Landry gone also, just not what I envisioned when we signed him.  I'd take a look into Searcy of the Bills, from what I heard they  really didn't miss Byrd.  Plays both the run and pass well, only 27, and could get him cheap I would think...

Andrew J's are a dime a dozen...   and when they can't stay out of trouble...???  Easy answer. .. 

I do agree to an extent but, just playing a little devil's advocate, it's a bit early to know what Jackson's ceiling might have been.  Odds were definitely against him turning into a big time playmaker though