Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore interested in joining Colts

NBColtsFanatic

When you're in year 4 of a rebuild,  you're just not going to get a roster without at least some aging free agents.    There's no other way around it....

Plus,  some aging free agents are actually pretty good....

OK, how about lets not get an aging RB.  Frank Gore will struggle behind this OL unless it makes drastic improvements - he's not as dynamic as he once was.  If SF is willing to let him walk there's a reason.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you're in year 4 of a rebuild,  you're just not going to get a roster without at least some aging free agents.    There's no other way around it....

Plus,  some aging free agents are actually pretty good....

Isn't every free agent "aging." We're all aging, right?

As tempting as it is, we have to say 'no'.

The concern is that you'd just be 'Happy2BeHere', and not put in the work necessary to excel, and help the team.

So, even though you wouldn't take up much cap space, I'm sorry. No.

I mean honestly that's a good call.

You'd be very....and I mean VERY VERY lucky to get one...possibly two good plays out of me...per MONTH.

But don't question my work ethic...that's solid! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't  there a 'young gun' RB out there?

Yeah HCF, as much as I value Gore's experience, he's getting a little long in the tooth age wise at his position. 

Pass, he hasn't had a healthy season in a while.

Another good point CC1 with age comes a longer time to heal & recuperate. 

Gore can still play really well. He'd be a huge upgrade from what the Colts have at the moment. 

Gore does know how to hit the crease & run toward the daylight that's true, but can our line create the necessary openings & running lanes though. 

I'm torn because I value experience, but vision & speed are the key factors here. Frank's got the vision still but his speed isn't what it once was. That's my issue or concern now his speed. 

I'm in the camp of bringing back Bradshaw. I honestly can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want him? Injuries? Sure he has had them, but you can't deny how good he has been when on the field. He is a low risk, high reward RB. He already knows the system and the dude just brings it and gives his all. He's a BEAST! I think he is 28, so he's still got some left in the tank. Especially with the time off inbetween injuries. Lower miles on those tires. Breaking an ankle, he will recover. The neck thing, he looked past that. He was having an excellent year. He's a high reward type of player, so worth bringing back in my opinion. I hope those in charge feel the same. I say draft a guy like Coleman to learn the ropes and keep Boom. That's a nice RB squad. Plus you got training camp and such to see how Ballard does. Coleman could be a beast himself. Time will tell...

If the Colts want an ageing injured RB, just keep Bradshaw then.

^ I was going to say the same thing then I saw your post. (Though Bradshaw isnt even THAT old, only 29 when the season starts, still got some good years left in him if he can JUST stay healthy...)

Gore is interested in a superbowl caliber team and a team where he can run for 1000+ yards again. I would like to have Grigson give him a try. At this point, the colts are more SB caliber than the 49ers and the need for RB is pressing. The only thing holding anyone back is the age, but he can't possibly be any worse than what we have now.

Would rather go after Justin Forsett or Blount if he's not re-signed.

We didn't go for Blount when we needed a RB when Bradshaw went down, no chance we bring in the guy that stomps all over us every year especially coupled with the fact he is an absolute * off the field.

Forget it!  No way for Gore on the Colts.

He will just give us the illusion that we have a running back and take the pressure off Grigson to go draft a real one (or 2).

If Gore was to sign with the Colts it wouldn't stop Grigson from drafting a running back if the right one was there. I think Grigson is going to draft a RB this draft I am just not sure what round.

I actually like this pickup

IF and only IF, we get a RIGHT FRICKEN GUARD that can PUSH PEOPLE AROUND

He wouldnt be the long term answer...... I get that

But, getting him for the probably cheap price we could get him at makes sense, than we can use the LAST PICK OF THE
FIRST ROUND next year on the best RB available.....  Yeah..... thats right..... fix the 5 major problems (4 on defense)...... SB baby....

RG

ILB

DE

NT

S

Thats all we need......  :)

Gore does know how to hit the crease & run toward the daylight that's true, but can our line create the necessary openings & running lanes though.

I'm torn because I value experience, but vision & speed are the key factors here. Frank's got the vision still but his speed isn't what it once was. That's my issue or concern now his speed.

Gore isn't slow he might not burn everyone but he can burn the majority of them unlike trent plus his vision will make up for that because at the snap he has excellent burst and knows when to hit the hole hard he isn't much of a finesse back at this time and age but a bruiser so he could still be part of a 1-2 punch in my opinion

lol calling gore old and injured prone is funny those who want to keep Bradshaw can all say he's productive only when he's on the field yet when's the last time he's played a full season yet there's the hate toward the supposedly old and injured Gore who I believe hasn't missed a game and still put up consecutive 1k yard seasons..but yeah he sure has some durability issues lmao

Matt Miller at bleacher report said he sees "no way" in which Frank Gore returns to SF.

He then said Colts are a "shoo-in" to land Frank Gore.

Don't know how accurate it is, but he also said Pagano & Chudzinski want Gore.

If that is true, we'll probably end up with him.

Matt Miller at bleacher report said he sees "no way" in which Frank Gore returns to SF.

He then said Colts are a "shoo-in" to land Frank Gore.

Don't know how accurate it is, but he also said Pagano & Chudzinski want Gore.

I would love to have Gore on a low level contract. . . but 

I'm wondering how he knows the last part. 

Thing is that SF can talk about Gore and talk about if they are going to re-sign him or not.  So he might get word from either SF or Gore that he won't re-signed.  Gore could also tell him that he wants to play in Indy.

But if Pagano or Chud or anyone with the Colts mentions the possibility of acquiring Gore prior to the start of free agency it's considered tampering.  

So if asked about Gore the only thing they can say is "Frank Gore is currently on contract with another team and I can not comment on that."  I suppose they could maybe give him a wink or a nudge.  But they can't tell him that they like Gore until free agency starts. 

Also any talks between Indy and Gore's agent are against the rules as well until like 3 days before Free Agency.  So he could effectively gauge Gore's interest in playing for Indy, but there is no way that he could gauge Indy's interest in Gore if Indy is following the rules. 

I would love to have Gore on a low level contract. . . but 

I'm wondering how he knows the last part. 

Thing is that SF can talk about Gore and talk about if they are going to re-sign him or not.  So he might get word from either SF or Gore that he won't re-signed.  Gore could also tell him that he wants to play in Indy.

But if Pagano or Chud or anyone with the Colts mentions the possibility of acquiring Gore prior to the start of free agency it's considered tampering.  

So if asked about Gore the only thing they can say is "Frank Gore is currently on contract with another team and I can not comment on that."  I suppose they could maybe give him a wink or a nudge.  But they can't tell him that they like Gore until free agency starts. 

Also any talks between Indy and Gore's agent are against the rules as well until like 3 days before Free Agency.  So he could effectively gauge Gore's interest in playing for Indy, but there is no way that he could gauge Indy's interest in Gore if Indy is following the rules. 

I could be wrong, but isn't it tampering only if the Colts contacted Gore?

I don't think if Pagano said right now 'I'd like to have Gore" it would be considered tampering unless we CONTACTED Gore.

I could be wrong though.

I could be wrong, but isn't it tampering only if the Colts contacted Gore?

I don't think if Pagano said right now 'I'd like to have Gore" it would be considered tampering unless we CONTACTED Gore.

I could be wrong though.

Pretty sure you can't make statements about the possibility of a player joining your team in the future unless that player is currently a free agent.  

I think doing so would help players gauge interest, which might encourage them to turn down re-signing offers from their own team or if on contract next year consider hold outs and trade demands.  System is designed to give the current team the best chance of re-signing a player until negotiations with outside teams can start.  

I do think you can talk about the possibility of drafting certain players. . . but that would only harm you as it might give your strategy away.

To those not wanting to sign Gore, he is a proven vet, he is an immediate upgrade from ALL of our RBs last year, there is now way he can be signed to a rich contract, he is durable and very reliable and there is no doubt Grigson drafts another RB. Grgison will not repeat his mistakes of the previous 2 seasons when not having a RB or good depth.

Colts RBs next year if the reports are true

Gore

Draftee

Herron?

Tipton?

Ballard

If someone does get drafted and Ballard stays healthy and Gore comes there is now way this RB group is any worse than what we have had in yhethe Pagano era.

A lot of speculation there but if we could get Gore for say close to what we were going to pay Trent I'm all for it. The guy is a good back. Sure he isn't going to break off 20-30yd runs but he will get you those consistant 3-4yd when not much is there. We have Boom for a change of pace but most important is Frank has played in big games...he doesn't fumble a lot and he is also pretty good in pass protection...those aren't small things. Come January we would be happy to have a veteren runner that can take the punishment and will get you those hard earned yards. Doesn't mean we don't need a back later in the draft to compliment us but I don't think Boom is an every down starter for 16 games. Gore can handle the punishment and knows how to get the extra yard.