Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How important is this game for Luck's career?

Detectacon

It is a Bleacher report article but it's not a bad read. Do you agree with the writer that this game is a must win for Luck beyond the fact that it's a playoff game? I agree with what the writer says up to a point. Luck still has a long career ahead of him and plenty of time to sway his critics.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2323549-colts-broncos-is-a-must-win-for-andrew-luck?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

It is a Bleacher report article but it's not a bad read. Do you agree with the writer that this game is a must win for Luck beyond the fact that it's a playoff game? I agree with what the writer says up to a point. Luck still has a long career ahead of him and plenty of time to sway his critics.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2323549-colts-broncos-is-a-must-win-for-andrew-luck?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

No, if they lose this game it will have no impact on the importance of his career

NFL star quarterback Andrew Luck, a genuine student-athlete at Stanford University, will lecture at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, on Friday, April 24, 2015. Luck will discuss "Creating Your Personal Game Plan for Success" in a Timothy and Sharon Ubben Lecture at 7 p.m. in Kresge Auditorium.

The program will be followed by a question-and-answer session. Like all Ubben Lectures, the event is presented free of admission charge and is open to everyone.

Born September 12, 1989, Andrew Austen Luck was co-valedictorian of his class at Stratford High School in Houston. He went on to study at Stanford University, where he was an architectural design major and won the Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award as college football's player of the year. An all-American and runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in both 2010 and 2011, Luck also excelled in the classroom, earning a 3.48 GPA and deciding to complete his college degree before entering the NFL draft, despite being projected as the #1 pick for 2011.

John Barton, director of the architectural design program at Stanford, noted, "Other instructors come up to me and say, 'You know, I've had some football players in class before, but Andrew isn't like any of them. He is really, really smart'."

Luck was the first player selected in the 2012 NFL draft. In his first three seasons as a pro, #12 has led the Colts to three playoff appearances and division titles in 2013 and 2014, and has been a Pro Bowl selection in each season.

This season, Luck led the NFL in touchdown passes with 40 and threw for 4,761 yards, setting the single season franchise record.

"Luck has had the best first and second seasons of any player I've ever studied on film," Andy Benoit wrote for Sports Illustrated before the 2014 campaign began. "He plays like a 10-year veteran."

NFL Media's Charley Casserly has stated that Luck "is the best young quarterback I have ever seen. Hall of Fame."

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski noted, "Luck has the most diverse skill-set of any NFL quarterback."

Pat Kirwan of CBS declared, "Luck represents the league's future and his next contract likely will be the largest in history. He is already in the discussion of elite QBs."

Immediately after being drafted by the Colts, Luck said, "I realize I'm very fortunate to hopefully make a lot of money playing football. I don't want to abuse that privilege and make myself a larger figure than I am. It is still a game. You're not saving lives or curing cancer. You are providing entertainment. Maybe you can make someone's week."

Established in 1986 through the generous support of 1958 DePauw graduates Timothy H. and Sharon Williams Ubben, the Ubben Lecture Series was designed to "bring the world to Greencastle.

The 2014-15 academic year has already included Ubben Lectures by television's Jimmy Kimmel and New York Times columnist David Brooks.

Previous Ubben Lecturers have included Bill Clinton, Benazir Bhutto, Margaret Thatcher, Mikhail Gorbachev, Tony Blair, Spike Lee, Elie Wiesel, Jesse Jackson, Ralph Nader, Jane Goodall, Willy Brandt, General Colin Powell, John Major, Shimon Peres, Brian Mulroney, Mike Krzyzewski, Oscar Arias, F.W. de Klerk, Ambassador L. Paul Bremer, General Wesley Clark, Bob Woodward, Naomi Wolf, Ross Perot, Paul Volcker, Karl Rove, Howard Dean, Eric Schlosser, Harry Belafonte, Sam Donaldson, Martin Luther King III, Carl Bernstein, Jane Pauley, David Gergen, Julian Bond, Lee Hamilton, David S. Broder, Jim Lovell, ice cream entrepreneurs Ben Cohen & Jerry Greenfield, Bill Bradley, Allen Neuharth, Todd Rundgren, Zbigniew Brzezinski, George Will, Ken Burns, Carl Rowan and many others.

It's year three, in year three of his career Manning was going one and done vs. Jay Fielder how much did that impact his career? 

I think we often forget how young Luck is and how much he still has in front of him. 

If this game is important to anyone's career it's Peyton Manning as he's running out of chances to win another Super Bowl and get that post-season monkey off his back once and for all. 

if luck loses this game, theres a good chance Irsay will cut him after this season, if he wins he will be anointed the goat so it is fairly important

are you high? or just have nothing better to do with your life than be a troll. get lost

I think the referenced post is poorly written, somewhat incoherent, and the core point -- that it is unfair to saddle Luck with claims of "must-win" situations, hence, high projections about his long-term career make this one game a must-win, for otherwise his career is probably doomed -- is ludicrous.

I'll stop with that critique of the central premise, but there are many other statements and conclusions I find disagreement with in it.

In my opinion, this game is important for Luck, for the team as a whole and for coaching staff too, regardless to the opponent. The big question is if  we can take the next step and advance to AFC final yet or not?

I'm getting a little tired of that 'Luck vs. Manning' or 'Manning vs. Luck' stuff... the game has significance, but not only to Luck.

No..this game has no special meaning fro Luck...

The Colts won easily at home over Cincy in a post-season game..and he had a big day but they are a significant underdog at Denver..

Its a great TEAM win if they get it at Denver but it says nothing special about Andrew ...its not a title game

I think the referenced post is poorly written, somewhat incoherent, and the core point -- that it is unfair to saddle Luck with claims of "must-win" situations, hence, high projections about his long-term career make this one game a must-win, for otherwise his career is probably doomed -- is ludicrous.

I'll stop with that critique of the central premise, but there are many other statements and conclusions I find disagreement with in it.

The problem is that Luck has received high praise early in his career. When people give high praise they usually expect too much in return. It was much the same for Manning and now he is known for not doing well in the post season. I agree with you that his career is not doomed should they lose. 

It is his biggest game right now and I would also say that beating Manning on the road on this stage is something folks will remember for his entire career especially if he out duels Manning for the win. There is just so much history here with how Indy selected him and Manning being released. This is one of those games that has so much behind it as it could be a passing of the torch game for Luck and what better way to do that than beating Manning.

But in the grand scheme of his career, this will have little effect if he loses. He will be playing in a lot of these big games over the rest of his career. I hope he plays well and Indy gets the win.

Yep....the writer cultivates the very same QB-centric narrative that he laments.

Toward the end of the piece he finally got around to tacitly mentioning the teams that surround Luck and Manning, but then immediately....and lazily.....ricochets back to the same old "QB vs QB/QB legacy" discussion.

I honestly don't care HOW we win at Denver...as long as we beat them.

I'm pretty sure that beyond his own responsibilities, Andrew doesn't care how we win either...or who gets the credit.

Luck can not do it all there are still many holes on this team and until they get him more help on D and some RB that can actually stay on the field its not a must for him. Do a better job Grigson  :thmdown:

Only in the eyes of people who don't understand that football is a team sport IMHO.

Seriously, didn't we go through all of this same nonsense with Manning?

Nice and straight to the point. Football is a team game. One player can make a great impact but it's a team sport and I don't care how many times some writer says that a QB's legacy is based on playoff wins and championships I don't buy that kind of thinking. This game is important for this year and this year alone. The fact of the matter is that Luck, for as good as he is, is still just in his 3rd pro year and he's just one piece of a puzzle that contains many pieces. He doesn't play defense. He doesn't kick, he doesn't catch and block and tackle. I'm tired of the so called experts who think that a players value is tied to what happens in the post season and that alone.

Veryyyyy important!

Time to "take the next step."

Go Colts!!!!

You're kidding right?  Its his 3rd year, he has two playoff wins, no running game, a poor OL, a leaky defense - he's 77% of the team's offense.  Give him a break.  The pressure is on Grigson to fix the holes on this team

dear god!

1) That phrase is copyrighted and owned by me.  My lawyers will be contacting you with a cease and desist letter and will demand financial considerations.

2) Have no idea what you are trying to convey with this.  Are you agreeing with me or not?  Please enlighten.