Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shipley

twfish

He was a guard in hs and played guard last yr. Guard was his position and he can nost definitely play it better than the 2 starters. McGlynn was center vs SF last yr and played great.

Played center in HS, ha.  Who cares what position he played in HS.  Last year he played 12 snaps at guard.  So again to say he is a guard and better than the two starters is just fantasy fabricated in your own mind.

McGlynn played center a few times last year and he did not play great in any of them.  He was worse at center than he was at guard.  People think he played well because there was better play at the guard position when he was at center.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both PFF and FO have Indy's OL as top 10 run blocking and top 15 pass blocking. That's a really positive change, and I expect it will only improve as the year goes on with the young interior getting more experience.

I'm back and forth on Shipley or Holmes. I want to see what Holmes can do but Shipley has done nothing to warrant being benched. It will be interesting to see what Pagano decides. In no way do I think Holmes should replace either G...he's either in at Center or backing up...

Played center in HS, ha. Who cares what position he played in HS. Last year he played 12 snaps at guard. So again to say he is a guard and better than the two starters is just fantasy fabricated in your own mind.

McGlynn played center a few times last year and he did not play great in any of them. He was worse at center than he was at guard. People think he played well because there was better play at the guard position when he was at center.

Holmes played guard@ Mater Dei and @ usc too before moving to center. He can play guard. Nobody disputes this but you

Holmes played guard@ Mater Dei and @ usc too before moving to center. He can play guard. Nobody disputes this but you

I'm not disputing that he played guard at HS and one year at USC.  The only think I'm disputing is your fantasy that he would be the best guard on the Colts roster.  You have nothing to base that on except something you fabricated in your own head.

I'm not disputing that he played guard at HS and one year at USC. The only think I'm disputing is your fantasy that he would be the best guard on the Colts roster. You have nothing to base that on except something you fabricated in your own head.

Center is the more important position. He was moved there because it was needed and he became an all american. He was already on pace to be an all american guard. The few snaps he got @ guard last yr, he looked great. I believe he's definitely better than Hugh and the Rookie.

Nevermind I just looked. He is from cAlifornia and went to mater dei there. I guess that is a popular name for school. It's funny because mater dei here in evansville is a huge sports powerhouse. Especially in wrestling. They put their kids on the wrestling mats and football field when they are still wearing pampers I swear lol.

He has potential to be our guy, So it's going to be interesting what they

do with Holmes when he comes back. Will he unseat one of the other linemen

for a spot, be a backup to Shipley or Shipley a backup to Holmes? Either

way it's good for depth on the line.

I believe if Shipley keeps playing like he has been.  I see Holmes moving to guard and possibly be the backup center.  either way it is a win win for he Colts

........ Why would you bench Thornton?

Once again, Holmes has shown nothing to warrant starting him. Sit his behind on the bench and leave our current offensive line alone.

It's not broke, so don't fix it

Guess you haven`t noticed 80% of the plays Thornton is knocked back 2 yards in less than 2 seconds, with Cherilus close behind.

Now Thorntons lead blocks on pulls are a  great reason TRich looks like an NFL RB so i do love that.

Shipley was so so the first 2 games and in spite of what you may think, we ain`t playing Jax like teams in the PLAYOFFS.

The thing about Shipley is he isn't going to blow anyone off the ball often and he isn't going to beat you athletically(He can get to the second level fairly easy but his short arms cause him to slip off blocks some), He is gonna have to beat you with technique, Shipley does much better when there is not a NT right over him but if there is he often times requires help, I believe this is because just lack of overall size more then anything.

Upon the snap he doesn't have a lot of size and length to go along with his strength to generate that into blowing NT's off the ball where as if he is not covered he has the ability to pancake someone do to that he can step into the block and use his power

Not quite sure how you can say it's not broke.  The line has been playing better but Shipley has been the weak link along the line.  If Holmes can provide improvement there than I say, switch he and AQ.  AQ is just a stop gap player.

Ahh... well said.  I think I hear.the voice of one who has watched a full season of football before.

It is great to have a player of Shipley's merit on your roster, but like the Ravens, and the Colts before them, we will build around other more talented players in the long term, while plugging in AQ for whatever duration is needed. 

Ahh... well said.  I think I hear.the voice of one who has watched a full season of football before.

It is great to have a player of Shipley's merit on your roster, but like the Ravens, and the Colts before them, we will build around other more talented players in the long term, while plugging in AQ for whatever duration is needed. 

You got it right.  Holmes is the more talented player and everyone was happy about where he was before he got injured.  Coaches and players talked about him knowing the line calls which is of great value because there are still too many defenders running free into tha backfield

@gmbremer: Pagano says A.Q. Shipley will start again at center this week. #Colts

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/AQ-Shipley-To-Remain-As-Colts-Starting-Center-Andrew-Luck-Talks-Fantasy-Football/0ff58015-e3d9-4e46-a090-db5674589566

Yup, so Shipley is the guy until further notice. I'm fine with that. I still wonder whether Holmes would be better, but that will have to work itself out.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/AQ-Shipley-To-Remain-As-Colts-Starting-Center-Andrew-Luck-Talks-Fantasy-Football/0ff58015-e3d9-4e46-a090-db5674589566

Yup, so Shipley is the guy until further notice. I'm fine with that. I still wonder whether Holmes would be better, but that will have to work itself out.

I think he would be a great fit at LG but Im not willing to sit Mewhort who has been playing well overall to find out

I think he would be a great fit at LG but Im not willing to sit Mewhort who has been playing well overall to find out

You mean Holmes at LG? Not Shipley, right? Shipley at guard is why he's not a Raven anymore.

Holmes, yeah I think he can play either guard spot, really. I think he's plenty strong and has good enough feet. But our guard play has been fine. The whole line has been fine, which is why Holmes is on the bench still. It's a good problem to have.

You mean Holmes at LG? Not Shipley, right? Shipley at guard is why he's not a Raven anymore.

Holmes, yeah I think he can play either guard spot, really. I think he's plenty strong and has good enough feet. But our guard play has been fine. The whole line has been fine, which is why Holmes is on the bench still. It's a good problem to have.

Yeah Holmes at Guard, either one, I think Shipley at Guard would not be pretty and would probably make whoever we put at Center, Be it Mewhort or Holmes look bad, As it is Shipley gets plenty of help from his Guards really

As Superman has noted,  what the Colts have right now is a good problem to have.

All 32 teams want problems like this!

Better to have too many good lineman than too few.  

And about 4 weeks ago,  we all worried that we indeed have too few.      Now?    Things look really really good.

But the NFL season, as Pagano has recently noted, is a marathon, and not a sprint.

We'll soon need all the O-lineman that we have.    Everyone will get important snaps.    That's just the way it usually works.....

As Superman has noted,  what the Colts have right now is a good problem to have.

All 32 teams want problems like this!

Better to have too many good lineman than too few.  

And about 4 weeks ago,  we all worried that we indeed have too few.      Now?    Things look really really good.

But the NFL season, as Pagano has recently noted, is a marathon, and not a sprint.

We'll soon need all the O-lineman that we have.    Everyone will get important snaps.    That's just the way it usually works.....

Or, we could be the Eagles from last year, and not suffer any major injuries to our starting linemen. That would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Not quite sure how you can say it's not broke.  The line has been playing better but Shipley has been the weak link along the line.  If Holmes can provide improvement there than I say, switch he and AQ.  AQ is just a stop gap player.

the line is ranked number 1 in pass blocking the last three weeks its not broken and Shipley is playing great at center

the line is ranked number 1 in pass blocking the last three weeks its not broken and Shipley is playing great at center

The ranking is subjective but by the analytics I prefer the Colts oline is #2 in pass WPA and #19 in run WPA.  Much better numbers than I was expecting at this time of the year but far from great and Shipley is still the weak link among the line.  Like I've stated many times, I think AQ worst part is his line calls.  Too many times there is a defender who is not accounted for in pass blocking which is why we see defenders that have a free route to Luck.  Additionally when a defender stunts or twists he follows him too long and turns his shoulders to the LOS creating a large hole for a delayed blitz.  Both of those problems are correctable and he needs to correct them now that teams have a few weeks of film on him and will start designing blitz packages to take advantage of those type of mistakes.

Lastly, the Colts are 1-2, there are a lot of things broken.  Sometimes the best fix is to ride it out and let it right itself, sometimes the best fix is to change something.

Ship is much better than some credit him in here IMO , glad hes back.

Holmes needs to be ready to backup the RG position.  With Reitz ready, he is more suited to the left.  However, the coaches may decide to keep him out in case a tackle goes down.  And we still have Louis for backup at guard as well.

As NCF said, we are in a pretty enviable position right now!  "All 32 teams want problems like this."

He has potential to be our guy, So it's going to be interesting what they

do with Holmes when he comes back. Will he unseat one of the other linemen

for a spot, be a backup to Shipley or Shipley a backup to Holmes? Either

way it's good for depth on the line.

i remember right  before play reg season game i said holmes was injury prone and a lot you laught at me.  holmes better at run blocking , shipley better at pass protection .   thats reason pep want him as starting center.

i remember right before play reg season game i said holmes was injury prone and a lot you laught at me. holmes better at run blocking , shipley better at pass protection . thats reason pep want him as starting center.

If you get injured from a 300 lb man falling awkwardly on your ankle; that makes you normal, not injury prone.