Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why cant our offense start fast?

CR91

Oh no.....here come the Pep haters? Love it...just love it. NOT!

I've been a pep supporter until Sunday. I've got to question some of the calls. I mean 2&15 and you try bust it up the middle with TRich knowing we have a rookie guard and a waiver signee center? I don't question a run play there, but at least a screen or a draw that could get you 5-6 yards or more.. Something other than a goalljne style run it up the gut play. It was a waste and set up an impossible 3 and long

I've been a pep supporter until Sunday. I've got to question some of the calls. I mean 2&15 and you try bust it up the middle with TRich knowing we have a rookie guard and a waiver signee center? I don't question a run play there, but at least a screen or a draw that could get you 5-6 yards or more.. Something other than a goalljne style run it up the gut play. It was a waste and set up an impossible 3 and long

No doubt we need to start faster.  Maybe Pep and Luck should not have 15 plays already set up to run?

The starts are not the coach.  Andrew has got to change the play based on defenses.  I'll continue to support the team and coaches.

Seems to me there are certain questionable calls that prevent us from starting fast. For example, we could have at least gotten on the board if we converted the third and one on our first drive.. we have to get that. And our pass game is not explosive enough yet to run draws on 2nd and 15.

I seem to recall once reading the Fort Wayne Komets (hockey) before home games participated in Ping-Pong tournaments. The players took pride in doing well in the tournaments and more important it fired up the competitive juices before hitting the ice. Is something similar to this common for sport teams? If the Colts do not already do something similar, perhaps adding Ping-Pong, foosball, and / or air hockey (my favorite) tournaments before getting suited up for home games would help them run out onto the field with the competitive juices already flowing. Would suck to lose a big offensive or defensive lineman to injury this way and you would not want to wear them down before game started... so perhaps find an alterative for them and also for whole team at away games.

My 1st post ... please be not too brutal, sack me like a qb in training camp if you think this is most stupid thing you ever read

I don't pretend to know what Luck see's on the field, but it seems like he likes to key in on certain players. Wayne, Hilton, Fleener. It seems like he's more comfortable or plays better in the 2 minutes drill.

Like Brent said, I think Luck needs to start making calls and changes at the line. We know he has the brains and smarts so we need to use that weapon also.

The play calling and personel changes at times just seem predictable and weird.

I don't pretend to know what Luck see's on the field, but it seems like he likes to key in on certain players. Wayne, Hilton, Fleener. It seems like he's more comfortable or plays better in the 2 minutes drill.

Like Brent said, I think Luck needs to start making calls and changes at the line. We know he has the brains and smarts so we need to use that weapon also.

I think a bigger problem is, minus TY, the Colts receivers/tight ends don't get a lot of separation.

I think a bigger problem is, minus TY, the Colts receivers/tight ends don't get a lot of separation.

Yeah that could be it also. Forgot to add that. Hard to tell what he see's from out view point. I don't think Allen is quite up to his rookie form. Might take a few games. Would have loved to see Nicks more involved but like you said no idea if he was even getting open. That also comes down to Luck making smart throws with more ball placement than hitting the #'s. Putting them in spots that his wr's can catch. Might not get any yac but at least get a catch.

They have more feel when they're in the two min offense, especially Luck. They can't go no huddle all game, but a part of me thinks they should, it's just that the game is 60 min. Other than that it's the usual suspects, O line isn't great, run game isn't great, play calling..

This. I do believe Pep will work it out as he gains experience, and I fully support him as our OC, but he's not yet able to consistently stay in a play calling groove and it makes the offense look awkward, and at times fail/sputter. 

This. I do believe Pep will work it out as he gains experience, and I fully support him as our OC, but he's not yet able to consistently stay in a play calling groove and it makes the offense look awkward, and at times fail/sputter.

I agree, I completely support him and hope it clicks. With our personnel I don't think the Stanford smash mouth game works for us. Now maybe if you had a line like SF, Seattle, Denver it could work. I just want him to excel as our OC cause that means we are better as a team.

I agree, I completely support him and hope it clicks. With our personnel I don't think the Stanford smash mouth game works for us. Now maybe if you had a line like SF, Seattle, Denver it could work. I just want him to excel as our OC cause that means we are better as a team.

I'm not sure how 53 pass attempts and 9 recorded rush attempts qualifies as smash mouth. If anything we needed to run more against Denver.

The late starts is a combination of 1) Bad play calling; 2) Poor Execution; 3) Bad defense.

1) The Colts didn't run the ball much, however, a lot of the runs occurred at the start of the game, before the score was out of hand, 24-0. If the run game was more effective, it would've helped to gain first downs. Instead, on third-and-one, they had no confidence that they could run for 1-yard. So they decided to pass, which went incomplete to Fleener. Prior to that, there were some questionable play calls. And on 4th and 1, they decided to attempt a long field goal rather than go for it.

2) The above also is attributed to poor execution. Luck missed some throws, was hurried repeatedly, and could not sustain a drive, leading to our defense being gassed.

3) The defense could not get any stops and had too many penalties called, which extended the Bronco drive.

Oh no.....here come the Pep haters?  Love it...just love it.  NOT!

I get your frustation but i do think this is somethng that the team must overcome....if it were every other game its ok...but its 2 years in a row that we have the same issue, it is becoming who we are. A 2nd half team, which is good and everything but we cant start like that always.

I like Pep for the most part, but it seems like he doesn't make in games adjustments quickly enough.

He doesn't call enough of QB rollouts (Luck is extremely good at), doesn't call for no huddle often enough, or slants to slow down the pass rush and it took him til it was 24-0 to call the first screen! 

He sticks to the jumbo pkg and it fails because the D stacks the box and we get no push, then when we fall behind he finally realizes around halftime that he needs to let Luck throw, then boom we come on late. 

Again, I think Pep is a good OC, but he needs to figure out what's working/not working A LOT faster than what he has been. 

I like Pep for the most part, but it seems like he doesn't make in games adjustments quickly enough.

He doesn't call enough of QB rollouts (Luck is extremely good at), doesn't call for no huddle often enough, or slants to slow down the pass rush and it took him til it was 24-0 to call the first screen! 

He sticks to the jumbo pkg and it fails because the D stacks the box and we get no push, then when we fall behind he finally realizes around halftime that he needs to let Luck throw, then boom we come on late. 

Again, I think Pep is a good OC, but he needs to figure out what's working/not working A LOT faster than what he has been. 

I really agree with this and  the looks we show give us away I would add

Exactly. Andrew NEVER throws the ball just before the cut therefore the D players get to react and recover to balls that are Consistently NOT thrown to the right spot, leading the receiver, away from the defender.

Nicks TD was Luck, not a well thrown ball. Watching the precise throws Sunday of Matt Ryan and Brees then watching Andrew, a whole different game they play.

I get your frustation but i do think this is somethng that the team must overcome....if it were every other game its ok...but its 2 years in a row that we have the same issue, it is becoming who we are. A 2nd half team, which is good and everything but we cant start like that always.

Like I said I believe above, it is on Andrew too.  Andrew and Pep coordinate the first 15 plays before the game.  Throw THAT nonsense out the window and play against the defense in front of you.  Yes the starts are oh so tiring.

I'm getting to the point that I don't think pep understands the purpose of a run game in modern football. Check out the play by play, I'll sum it up.

1st down run. Next downs pass no matter what the gain on 1st down from running (+6, -1, +7, +4 in first 4 drives).

What is his expectation for the first down runs? We don't run back to back downs and we don't play action pass. I honestly think the plan is get the "run formation" on 1st down, then switch them out for "pass formation". Which might also explain why defenders are in the back field on run plays all the time. I can't imagine teams don't see this too. What am I missing here?

Like I said I believe above, it is on Andrew too.  Andrew and Pep coordinate the first 15 plays before the game.  Throw THAT nonsense out the window and play against the defense in front of you.  Yes the starts are oh so tiring.

Agree 100%. Why would you ever try to script the first 15 plays of the game? Maybe if you had a brand new rookie QB who needed that to feel more comfortable, but Luck's training wheels should be off at this point. It really makes no sense whatsoever to do that under any circumstance. You are handcuffing your offense and giving the defense an advantage.

I guess I am one of the people who gets eye rolls because they complain, but I am just not convinced Pep belongs in the NFL. I don't necessarily think he is a "bad" offensive coordinator, but he is very underwhelming IMO. Obviously the OL issues aren't his fault, but there are just so many head-scratcher moments. I would rather Luck was getting exposed to new ideas rather than the same old, conservative, predictable play-calling he had at Stanford. Not to mention this team just needs more aggressive play-calling period, and that partly falls on Pagano too.

Agree 100%. Why would you ever try to script the first 15 plays of the game? Maybe if you had a brand new rookie QB who needed that to feel more comfortable, but Luck's training wheels should be off at this point. It really makes no sense whatsoever to do that under any circumstance. You are handcuffing your offense and giving the defense an advantage.

I guess I am one of the people who gets eye rolls because they complain, but I am just not convinced Pep belongs in the NFL. I don't necessarily think he is a "bad" offensive coordinator, but he is very underwhelming IMO. Obviously the OL issues aren't his fault, but there are just so many head-scratcher moments. I would rather Luck was getting exposed to new ideas rather than the same old, conservative, predictable play-calling he had at Stanford. Not to mention this team just needs more aggressive play-calling period, and that partly falls on Pagano too.

I will not say anything bad about him unless the first half woes continue.  His playbook is enormous.....maybe a little Air Coryell needed :)  Just like in the second half.

I know we were trying to slow down Peyton....we should have just gone for a 42-40 shootout.  

I'm getting to the point that I don't think pep understands the purpose of a run game in modern football. Check out the play by play, I'll sum it up.

1st down run. Next downs pass no matter what the gain on 1st down from running (+6, -1, +7, +4 in first 4 drives).

What is his expectation for the first down runs? We don't run back to back downs and we don't play action pass. I honestly think the plan is get the "run formation" on 1st down, then switch them out for "pass formation". Which might also explain why defenders are in the back field on run plays all the time. I can't imagine teams don't see this too. What am I missing here?

Wasn't the first play of the game like a 35 yarder to Wayne off play-action?

T-Rich up the middle was all you had to say about the play-calling. 'Nuff said.

The Colts have trailed by 10 or more points in 19 of Andrew Luck's 36 starts.

That's nearly 50% of the games.  Simply just a terrible statistic.

Scott Kacsmar @FO_ScottKacsmar  ·  58m

Colts have trailed by 10+ pts in 19 of Luck's 36 starts (7-12). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2014/clutch-encounters-week-1 …

Wouldn't that be 52.7 % ?