Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how to beat peyton

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gary bracket said on 1070 am the way to beat peyton  is to keep him off the field, by running the ball and eating up the clock can we do it with this o-line?

That works if you eat up 59:30 of the clock.

Seriously, we all know we need long drives and TDs, but the way to beat Peyton is to pressure him and mug his receivers.

Bracket is correct. However, it has also been proven numerous times that you can beat him with a good pass rush and disrupting the receivers timing and routes. Take the penalties, rough up and hold the receivers all you can get away with. 

Exactly how we did it last year.

Go watch the game last year and you will see how to beat him. Aggressive man with showing the receivers who is the boss. If Howell, Butler, Toler, and I think even Davis don't go out during various times from 3rd Q on, that game wouldn't have really been close. 

Don't settle for FGs if you are inside the 40 and it is 4th & 4 or less, keep going for it. Even if you dominate TOP, like the Dolphins game, if you settle for FGs, that will come back to bite you, especially on the road where Peyton gets silent treatment from the crowd.

Lately, the theme has been Peyton has not made huge comebacks like in years past. Broncos, if they go behind by 2 TDs, I have not seen them come back in a game other than that MNF game vs the Chargers in 2012. Atlanta Falcons game in 2012, Patriots game in 2012, Colts game in 2013, Chargers game in 2013, all those games the opposing team took the lead by 2 TDs at some point in the game, kept the running game alive to keep the crowd out of it and managed to hold on to win.

The games they have won, they have gotten the lead and been able to dominate tempo. Once Peyton gets behind lately, he presses (case in point SB, both playoff games they won by going up by 2 TDs and holding on) and he does not have aces like Marvin and Reggie to see him through deficits, his aces are still young, I feel, when the chips are down.

Like Warhorse said, that isn't entirely true.  Miami and their Wildcat offense a few years ago kept Peyton off the field for more than 45 mins and we still won that game. 

Knowing how to beat any QB in the league is very easy; executing that plan is difficult.  The plan is simple: rush him, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, hit him, blitz him, put tons of pressure on him.  You saw how well it worked in the Super Bowl.  And you can do that for any QB in the league and win.  The problem is being able to put that plan into action against the top QBs in the game.  In the end, it always comes down to execution

Put him on the ground...often. Harass and play physical with his receivers to disrupt their timing. If Luck brings his "A" game this will also put added pressure on Peyton to try to match. If all of the above happen, Peyton is prone to becoming frustrated into forcing things and thus becomes vulnerable.

gary bracket said on 1070 am the way to beat peyton  is to keep him off the field, by running the ball and eating up the clock can we do it with this o-line?

Do what the Seahawks did.  There's your blue print.  You need a successful pass rush, constant pressure that actually gets to the QB.  Get physical with the receivers.

Why do people still believe in this: "Keep the ball away from Peyton" myth?  If the weather is bad and very windy force Peyton to throw into the wind like the Pats did last year.  When you put pressure on Peyton whether with a defensive line getting in his face or force him to make plays with his arm he will make mistakes and throw INT's.  Peyton does have that "Favre/Romo" element in him.  He will throw that INT at the worst possible time.

Games are won or lost at the line of scrimmage.  The Pats lots two super bowls due to the Giants' D line out playing the Pats' O line.

Put him on the ground...often. Harass and play physical with his receivers to disrupt their timing. If Luck brings his "A" game this will also put added pressure on Peyton to try to match. If all of the above happen, Peyton is prone to becoming frustrated into forcing things and thus becomes vulnerable.

Exactly.  Patriots and Seahawks are good examples.

The problem with the Colts' defense is they're not a rough physical smash mouth team like the Seahawks, Ravens and 49ers are, and don't have the mastermind of Belichick to game plan against Peyton.

Andrew Luck is good, but he's not a Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Brees killer instinct QB that will destroy you.  I fear Philip Rivers more than Luck as of now.

The Colts need to study the film of the super bowl and try to do what the Seahawks did if the refs will allow it.  Push the limit and test the refs and see how far you can push the limit on physicality till the refs start throwing the flags.  Seahawks baited the refs to throw flags in the super bowl and the refs never did.  They let the Seahawks get rough.

Sack him early and beat the crap out of his receivers, legally of course.

The only problem is, that all that beat the crap out of receivers has to happen within the first 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The use of the Seahawks "they can't call a penalty on every play' isn't supposed to work anymore.  They have been directed to do so, and practiced it (throwing the yellow hanky) hard during the exhibition season. So we must disrupt the timing of the route early and within 5 yards, then get QB pressure before the receiver breaks free and Peyton realigns his target.  Missing Mathis very much right now. 

. Take the penalties, rough up and hold the receivers all you can get away with. 

That's not a plan

That's not a plan? That was the Pats whole game plan when they beat us in the playoffs multiple years. It is what the Seahawks do (they don't get flagged a ton). The refs just don't call it that tight....you just have to do it enough to get the routes and timing off. It will probably be a little more difficult this year.

So if its not a plan, what is it?

We need our score first offense I swear if the first play on offense is a WR screen. Stay with what is working on offense. To be honest Pep worries me. We need touchdowns running behind Fleener like we did vs the Saints is a wasted play. We can't have wasted plays.

No turnovers  we have an advantage on special teams take advantage of it. In other words no short fields make the Bronco's drive the ball. Get off the field on 3rd down when we have the chance. 

Protect Luck and move Peyton we don't have to sack him as much as hit him and make him move around. He can't just stand there, If Luck plays well I think we win the game.

The only problem is, that all that beat the crap out of receivers has to happen within the first 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The use of the Seahawks "they can't call a penalty on every play' isn't supposed to work anymore.  They have been directed to do so, and practiced it (throwing the yellow hanky) hard during the exhibition season. So we must disrupt the timing of the route early and within 5 yards, then get QB pressure before the receiver breaks free and Peyton realigns his target.  Missing Mathis very much right now. 

NFL Network said last night that the Seahawks were the only team not called for a defensive holding penalty the entire preseason.

Mathis isn't on the team for four weeks we don't need any of that.

I agree with Gary Backett.  Everyone is focusing on what we do against Peyton.  IMO, this game will be won by the Colts, if they do, because we are able to run the ball.  They have Terrance Knighton, who is a great run stopper, and Von Miller, also great against the run.  However, our interior line may be able to create some holes.  This is what Colts fans are waiting for and it could happen.  You don't want your rookie LG pass blocking too much anyway, but can he run block?  Unless Grigson has made a huge mistake, the answer to that is "Yes."  Hugh Thornton may be a better run blocker than we think, moved back to RG, where he practiced last preseason.  Can Khaled Holmes run block?  Will we get to find out?  I am really looking forward to this game for the answer to those questions.

That's not a plan? That was the Pats whole game plan when they beat us in the playoffs multiple years. It is what the Seahawks do (they don't get flagged a ton). The refs just don't call it that tight....you just have to do it enough to get the routes and timing off. It will probably be a little more difficult this year.

So if its not a plan, what is it?

That dog wont hunt.

The game has changed since then...believe it or not

Seattle also has a QB you cant sack

The only problem is, that all that beat the crap out of receivers has to happen within the first 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The use of the Seahawks "they can't call a penalty on every play' isn't supposed to work anymore. They have been directed to do so, and practiced it (throwing the yellow hanky) hard during the exhibition season. So we must disrupt the timing of the route early and within 5 yards, then get QB pressure before the receiver breaks free and Peyton realigns his target. Missing Mathis very much right now.

Hence the legally part. I totally agree. I feel like this game is going to set a benchmark for the beginning of the season in terms of officiating.

Tell him to play like it's the Super Bowl or it's a game in Foxboro.

Good one Jules! :D

Let me ask you and the rest of the Colts fans here that know the team better than me. Do you have the defensive personnel to do what the Seahawks did? And by that I mean pressure up the middle, not sack Peyton but just make him uncomfortable and then the DBs to cover the slant routes? If you can do what Seattle did even at 70 percent, I think you have a chance. How about your safeties? Can they bring the wood they way Kam did in the SB? The Denver receivers don't like to get hit. Their toughest guy IMO was Welker and he isn't playing. You can get to the other guys and make them jittery. How will your D be against the run? I think the Denver run game took a bit hit losing Moreno. Ball is a fumbler so I think you could maybe get a TO from him.

Who's idea was it to institute these new pass interference rules this year?

It seems whenever one of Peyton's high powered offensive teams gets beat whether with the colts or broncos then during the off-season the NFL institutes rules to protect offenses.  It's as if Peyton called up Roger Goodell and told him to change the rules.

Fantasy sports is ruining the NFL.  They want big offensive numbers.

Who's idea was it to institute these new pass interference rules this year?

It seems whenever one of Peyton's high powered offensive teams gets beat whether with the colts or broncos then during the off-season the NFL institutes rules to protect offenses. It's as if Peyton called up Roger Goodell and told him to change the rules.

Fantasy sports is ruining the NFL. They want big offensive numbers.

Yeah, it's being ruined. Just look at the terrible ratings The NFL is doomed