Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how to beat peyton

OLD FAN MAN

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except the QB didn't cause the Colts to play from behind

No I'll go along with you here because we were already behind.  However the picks certainly don't allow you to come back in any way. The picks he threw against New England certainly helped us lose the game and play from behind.

No I'll go along with you here because we were already behind.  However the picks certainly don't allow you to come back in any way. The picks he threw against New England certainly helped us lose the game and play from behind.

Well, they didn't stop the colts from coming back vs KC. But its hard to be down that early against a playoff team and be forced to sling it all over the field.

Wanting the rules to be followed is juvenile?  LOL

Not according to Blandino--

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/rise-flags-makes-nfl-defenders-wary-contact-25155642

If it  is a rule call it or get it off the books.  I'm tired of Refs being able to selectively decide games by either calling those plays or deciding on a whim to let it go.The best athletes will be able to adjust and still defend with out having to grab arms and jerseys to stay with his guy.

I do not think Blandino goes on record with this position, and doesn't let it come to fruition.   So brace yourself just in case.

It has nothing to with the best athletes being able to adjust, There is going to be contact down the field at some points no matter what, That's just a fact because those best athletes are at wr as well not only at Corner and Safety. It should a matter of what officials deem purposeful, ya cant go around calling every bit of contact under the sun...This is not flag football. Football always has and always will be a physical game and no matter how many flags are thrown it will continue to be that way until flags are put on the players. Don't be surprised when those calls are cut significantly down...Because the NFL knows they cant and should not put that product out on the field that we all saw in the preseason, It will decide outcomes of games....It will ruin games...Let the players decide,

Well, they didn't stop the colts from coming back vs KC. But its hard to be down that early against a playoff team and be forced to sling it all over the field.

I agree, and if he does that against Denver it will also be hard. Also if our D repeats the same performance as that Chiefs game it won't bode well.  I will say the Chiefs game gives you a confidence booster in playing teams like Denver.  All those points the Chiefs scored on us it was like we played Peyton as far as the score board is concerned.  And we still came back for the W! Now imagine Luck with even better weapons.   And KC was supposed to have this defense that was going to stop us because they had both their pass rushers for the game.  To me the Broncos have some similarity to Kansas City on defense the more I think about it.  Different schemes, but some things are similar to me.  I don't know how you see it

I stand corrected as far as the Chiefs game goes.  You're right the defense was more to blame than anything.  I'd still like to see a reduction in the turnovers though.  But I see what you're saying as far as one being somewhat a derivative of the other.

It has nothing to with the best athletes being able to adjust, There is going to be contact down the field at some points no matter what, That's just a fact because those best athletes are at wr as well not only at Corner and Safety. It should a matter of what officials deem purposeful, ya cant go around calling every bit of contact under the sun...This is not flag football. Football always has and always will be a physical game and no matter how many flags are thrown it will continue to be that way until flags are put on the players. Don't be surprised when those calls are cut significantly down...Because the NFL knows they cant and should not put that product out on the field that we all saw in the preseason, It will decide outcomes of games....It will ruin games...Let the players decide,

Incidental contact that does not knock the receiver off his route, or cause the receiver to create separation, will not be called.  Here's a take from Seahawks DB coach Kris Richard-

""We've been forewarned, And it's not experimental, it's an emphasis of the rules that are already in place. Typically when you're dealing with these preseason games, you tend to get more penalties because it's just kind of a re-acclimation period, for everyone."

""in regards to our style of play, and whether we're changing anything, and we're not going to change anything that we do. Because, we've always coached according to the rules. Yeah, there may be some contact, and it could happen after five yards, if the wide receiver creates it. We have five yards, we're able to use them then."

""The simple fact is that aggressive coverage is a part of the game," says Richard. "Nobody wants to allow wide receivers just to run through their zone or through their man coverages without being contested. But, you have to do it without, quote-unquote, cheating, you have to do it without fouling, and if we're not doing that, we deserve to have a penalty. If you're not playing within the rules, then you deserve to have a penalty thrown on you."

I believe a lot of good coaches are going to be able to coach players to that standard. (Sean Payton, John Harbaugh... etc... I hope Chuck Pagano...  etc...) Then the elite offensive players will shine against so so defenders, and elite defenders can still be shutdown, and opposing QB's targeting receivers away from them.  There can be aggressive defense without fouling.

Wanting the rules to be followed is juvenile?  LOL

Not according to Blandino--

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/rise-flags-makes-nfl-defenders-wary-contact-25155642

If it  is a rule, call it or get it off the books.  I'm tired of Refs being able to selectively decide games by either calling those plays or deciding on a whim to let it go.The best athletes will be able to adjust and still defend with out having to grab arms and jerseys to stay with his guy.

I do not think Blandino goes on record with this position, and doesn't let it come to fruition.   So brace yourself just in case.

But if the players stop  grabbing and hand fighting (pushing off, either side) down the field the NFL will have won without changing the rules or getting excessive yellow flags.  But let us see what the whole season brings, then decide.

Blandino's "OPINION" is just that since he's not on the field as a ref, he's an office guy.  And the Seahawks/Packers game had far fewer flags than in the preseason.  That's proof right there.

To act like the refs are purposely allowing holding to go on is ridiculous, since we have instant replay on the jumbo tron and coaches are allowed to throw the red flag and challenge.  The refs in the NFL are some of the best in the world of any sport.  We saw 2 seasons ago when the refs were on strike and the replacement refs were a disaster and couldn't control the games.

There is no "mugging" going on and if there was the refs call it.  The refs make the right call at least 95% of the time.  In fact the refs are extremely vigilant and aggressive in throwing flags on most hits now even shoulder hits where no helmet contact was made.

If the Broncos start lighting up the Colts' defense you're gonna want your dbacks to get physical.

Blandino's "OPINION" is just that since he's not on the field as a ref, he's an office guy.  And the Seahawks/Packers game had far fewer flags than in the preseason.  That's proof right there.

Blandino  (the office guy)will be very much apart of every single game this year.  When there is a replay, he will connect immediately to the head ref, where he will watch tape and advise  the ref in real time.  Ref gets final say, but how often would you directly ignore the advice of your boss standing over you?  As for your second part, nobody ever said it would remain like pre-season.  Is NFL players adjust, and most of those calls were by players no longer on a team or PS.  It will be the number during the whole season compared to last year that will determine whether i they are calling it more or not.  And there were only 38 total illegal contact calls all year, all teams combined.  The Seahawks had none all year.  and the Packers just 2.  In order for you to be able to make your statement the Packers have to play 15 more games with only one more illegal contact call while the Seahawks can make none the rest of the year.  Then these two reams will have achieved parity to last year.  But there are a lot of games to go so your 'proof' and argument is shelved for now.

To act like the refs are purposely allowing holding to go on is ridiculous, since we have instant replay on the jumbo tron and coaches are allowed to throw the red flag and challenge.  The refs in the NFL are some of the best in the world of any sport.  We saw 2 seasons ago when the refs were on strike and the replacement refs were a disaster and couldn't control the games.

First, we are talking illegal contact calls, not so much holding.  Head coaches can't have penalties reversed, and don't hink they can challenge a play  ofr a perceived missed penalty.  Now I think if they can legally challenge a play for another reason, the ref_can (but doesn't always do this) review the whole play and can make a new decision based on that.

There is no "mugging" going on and if there was the refs call it.  The refs make the right call at least 95% of the time.  In fact the refs are extremely vigilant and aggressive in throwing flags on most hits now even shoulder hits where no helmet contact was made.

This is about no contact after 5 yards, not any 'mugging'.  The db can't reach out and_touch a receiver with his hands or arms anymore.  They used to let it slide if it didn't appear to restrict the receiver.  No grabbing the jersey in any way either.  Full on mugging will be seen and has almost always been called.

Blandino says the refs will be taught to enforce, and be reminded.  Here's what he says about the refs work week for the NFL-

"There are misconceptions about our officials, that they just show up on Saturdays and work on Sundays and go home," he says. "The number of hours they spend during the week watching videos and communicating and taking tests becomes maybe 15 hours, and that is not counting the weekend. There are conference calls on a Tuesday or Wednesday and feedback they get from the league office. They go through training tapes and have meetings at the game site."

If the Broncos start lighting up the Colts' defense you're gonna want your dbacks to get physical.

I want them to be physical, but within the first 5 yards as allowed. The rules permit that.  If he gets juked by the receiver off the line, he better not reach out and grab jersey to keep the guy from getting free.  It will get called. OTOH, maybe it would have been a bomb for a TD and 5 yds + 1st down is slightly better alternative.  Either way, holding up the receiver by an arm or shirt grab past yards down field will give the opposing O a new set of downs and 5 yards.

You aren't arguing with me, you are arguing with the VP of Officiating of the NFL, and he is getting hands on this year.  Just saying.

You aren't arguing with me, you are arguing with the VP of Officiating of the NFL, and he is getting hands on this year.  Just saying.

"Blandino  (the office guy)will be very much apart of every single game this year.  When there is a replay, he will connect immediately to the head ref, where he will watch tape and advise  the ref in real time.  Ref gets final say, but how often would you directly ignore the advice of your boss standing over you?"

So while NFL games are going on across the nation on live tv simultaneously all at the same time Blandino will be watching all of them and the refs will contact him after they throw every flag?  So he's going to play God over the NFL?  He's going to be watching over every NFL game?  What if a flag is thrown in San Francisco for holding and at the same time a flag is thrown in Miami for holding?  We all at home and in the stands going to wait for the God Blandino to pick up his phone to call down to the field to give the orders to the refs on what the call should be?  That's the impression you gave with what Blandino's actions will be.

I'll make a bet with you.  I'll bet you by the end of the season there won't be more flags thrown this season then last season.

"Blandino  (the office guy)will be very much apart of every single game this year.  When there is a replay, he will connect immediately to the head ref, where he will watch tape and advise  the ref in real time.  Ref gets final say, but how often would you directly ignore the advice of your boss standing over you?"

So while NFL games are going on across the nation on live tv simultaneously all at the same time Blandino will be watching all of them and the refs will contact him after they throw every flag?  So he's going to play God over the NFL?  He's going to be watching over every NFL game?  What if a flag is thrown in San Francisco for holding and at the same time a flag is thrown in Miami for holding?  We all at home and in the stands going to wait for the God Blandino to pick up his phone to call down to the field to give the orders to the refs on what the call should be?  That's the impression you gave with what Blandino's actions will be.

I'll make a bet with you.  I'll bet you by the end of the season there won't be more flags thrown this season then last season.

Your reading comprehension meter isn't calibrated today is it?  Did you miss the part about  When there is a replay ?  Not every penalty. That will be graded each week. And yes, he will be for each replay initiated!  The review god Blandino.  Ha ha!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000337016/Blandino-breaks-down-centralized-replay

He is also quoted saying- "We'll have one person monitoring each game, and when there is a key play, it will be called to our attention," he says. "I can start to formulate my opinion and we communicate with the replay official at the game even before the referee has gotten under the hood."

And he will be in constant contact with officials by meetings, conference call, and testing on how the NFL expects them to enforce the rules (especially points of emphasis) each week.

So, yes. I'll take the bet that Illegal contact calls in 2014 will be (likely dramatically)  higher than 2013, which was 38 for all teams combined, full season, last year.

Here's a glimpse of what happened between 2003 and 2004, the last time the VP of officiating emphasized illegal contact calls-

"Through Week 14, game officials had called 164 illegal contact penalties, up dramatically from the 66 whistled through Week 14 of the 2003 season."

snippet form-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24834-2004Dec24.html?nav=rss_sports/leaguesandsports/nfl/20002001/jacksonvillejaguars

Last year that was down to 38, and the competition committee did not overlook that, in concert to reviewing tape...

Your reading comprehension meter isn't calibrated today is it?  Did you miss the part about  When there is a replay ?  Not every penalty. That will be graded each week. And yes, he will be for each replay initiated!  The review god Blandino.  Ha ha!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000337016/Blandino-breaks-down-centralized-replay

He is also quoted saying- "We'll have one person monitoring each game, and when there is a key play, it will be called to our attention," he says. "I can start to formulate my opinion and we communicate with the replay official at the game even before the referee has gotten under the hood."

And he will be in constant contact with officials by meetings, conference call, and testing on how the NFL expects them to enforce the rules (especially points of emphasis) each week.

So, yes. I'll take the bet that Illegal contact calls in 2014 will be (likely dramatically)  higher than 2013, which was 38 for all teams combined, full season, last year.

haha I'll take that bet.  But be specific.  What is "dramatically" ?  A 30% increase?  50% increase?  I'll bet you at most there is a 10% increase compared to previous seasons, if that.

But the hilarious thing to this is you think the refs throwing more flags will magically benefit the Colts in some bizarre world because of the 2003 and 2004 season.  lol   For all we know it will allow Brady to smoke the Colts' D.  And if Brady smokes the Colts' D you'll probably claim the refs favor the Pats, or the rules favor Brady.  Be careful what you wish for.

You have yet to explain in detail how the refs throwing more flags benefits the Colts.

haha I'll take that bet.  But be specific.  What is "dramatically" ?  A 30% increase?  50% increase?  I'll bet you at most there is a 10% increase compared to previous seasons, if that.

But the hilarious thing to this is you think the refs throwing more flags will magically benefit the Colts in some bizarre world because of the 2003 and 2004 season.  lol   For all we know it will allow Brady to smoke the Colts' D.  And if Brady smokes the Colts' D you'll probably claim the refs favor the Pats, or the rules favor Brady.  Be careful what you wish for.

You have yet to explain in detail how the refs throwing more flags benefits the Colts.

OK you just set the bar, but I'll double it.  Greater than 20% increase in illegal contact penalties called.  There must be only 46 or less illegal contact penalties called in 2014 for you to have 'proven' your point.  Anything higher than 46 Illegal Contact penalties by all teams after all 16 regular season games are played will prove as a significant increase for this purpose.

And what is hilarious is you trying to deflect your misplaced ideas and position by creating a straw-man argument about me stating that calling more penalties benefits the Colts.  Go find the quote(s)...   Post then right here. We'll all be waiting. Show where I feel the increased call is wanted for the Colts benefit; via a direct quote or retract your statement.  If not, be known as one with low credibility who posts falsehoods in order to promote their position.

And the rules emphasis for 2044 trickled down and did benefit Brady.  Do you not remember 2007?  I guess folks found it hard to cover Randy Moss without grabbing and pulling, yes?

My point all along is, it's a rule so make teams abide by it. All teams, all years.  Don't call it one year, and not the next.  Don't call it early in the year, the let it slide in the playoffs.Don't call it one game, and not the next. If they don't make enforcement stick this year, then change or eliminate the rule.  But in this litigious days of the NFL, they will not give the defense any of their physical intimidation tactics back.  Bank on it.  By the flag fest in preseason, the NFL it appears to be making it clear to all players, coaches and fans.  The main down field coverage skill in the NFL will not be pure physicality, much to your, and others, dismay.

OK you just set the bar, but I'll double it.  Greater than 20% increase in illegal contact penalties called.  There must be only 46 or less illegal contact penalties called in 2014 for you to have 'proven' your point.  Anything higher than 46 Illegal Contact penalties by all teams after all 16 regular season games are played will prove as a significant increase for this purpose.

And what is hilarious is you trying to deflect your misplaced ideas and position by creating a straw-man argument about me stating that calling more penalties benefits the Colts.  Go find the quote(s)...   Post then right here. We'll all be waiting. Show where I feel the increased call is wanted for the Colts benefit; via a direct quote or retract your statement.  If not, be known as one with low credibility who posts falsehoods in order to promote their position.

And the rules emphasis for 2044 trickled down and did benefit Brady.  Do you not remember 2007?  I guess folks found it hard to cover Randy Moss without grabbing and pulling, yes?

My point all along is, it's a rule so make teams abide by it. All teams, all years.  Don't call it one year, and not the next.  Don't call it early in the year, the let it slide in the playoffs.Don't call it one game, and not the next. If they don't make enforcement stick this year, then change or eliminate the rule.  But in this litigious days of the NFL, they will not give the defense any of their physical intimidation tactics back.  Bank on it.  By the flag fest in preseason, the NFL it appears to be making it clear to all players, coaches and fans.  The main down field coverage skill in the NFL will not be pure physicality, much to your, and others, dismay.

I'm sticking to a 10% increase in penalties this season if that.  But I doubt that much even occurs.  In many games this season there won't even be a difference.  The Seahawks/Packers game was proof.  The season already started.

Most fans don't want more flags thrown.  Throwing more flags is the equivalent of allowing the pitcher in baseball to take more time between pitches before he throws pitch.  It slows the game down.  We don't need 5 hour long football games.  Most fans don't want it either.

I'm sticking to a 10% increase in penalties this season if that.  But I doubt that much even occurs.  In many games this season there won't even be a difference.  The Seahawks/Packers game was proof.  The season already started.

Most fans don't want more flags thrown.  Throwing more flags is the equivalent of allowing the pitcher in baseball to take more time between pitches before he throws pitch.  It slows the game down.  We don't need 5 hour long football games.  Most fans don't want it either.

Here's the issue, it's not throwing more flags, it's getting back to where things were.   After 2007, things seemed to slow down on the calls.  Here is the number of illegal contact calls since 2009-

2009 - 92

2010 - 75

2011 - 70

2012 - 68

2013 - 38

Back in 2003 passing yards was down and illegal contact penalties were down too.  Mike Martz made this statement at the end of 2003-

"It just seems like (the illegal contact penalty) was called differently the last few years," said St. Louis coach Mike Martz, a member of the coaches subcommittee which works with the competition committee. "Somehow things got a little redefined, whether it was subconscious or not, and we have to get back to calling the rule as it's written."

So it wasn't just Bill Polian that complained after 2003. Through Week 14 in 2004, game officials had called 164 illegal contact penalties, up dramatically from the 66 whistled in 2003.  So it has gone from from somewhere around 175 down to 38 in 10 years.  So the rule is broken, or the enforcement of it is.  It is unacceptable, and this is the second time the league has realized it.  Somewhere in the 75-85 seems to be about right. And the competition committee noticed it this year like they did in 2003.

BTW, I expect these to increase when teams are down late in games and throwing left and right, and late in the season when it gets down to crunch time.  That's my guess.  Nit early in the years when coaches and refs are watching closely.

Here's the issue, it's not throwing more flags, it's getting back to where things were.   After 2007, things seemed to slow down on the calls.  Here is the number of illegal contact calls since 2009-

2009 - 92

2010 - 75

2011 - 70

2012 - 68

2013 - 38

Back in 2003 passing yards was down and illegal contact penalties were down too.  Mike Martz made this statement at the end of 2003-

"It just seems like (the illegal contact penalty) was called differently the last few years," said St. Louis coach Mike Martz, a member of the coaches subcommittee which works with the competition committee. "Somehow things got a little redefined, whether it was subconscious or not, and we have to get back to calling the rule as it's written."

So it wasn't just Bill Polian that complained after 2003. Through Week 14 in 2004, game officials had called 164 illegal contact penalties, up dramatically from the 66 whistled in 2003.  So it has gone from from somewhere around 175 down to 38 in 10 years.  So the rule is broken, or the enforcement of it is.  It is unacceptable, and this is the second time the league has realized it.  Somewhere in the 75-85 seems to be about right. And the competition committee noticed it this year like they did in 2003.

BTW, I expect these to increase when teams are down late in games and throwing left and right, and late in the season when it gets down to crunch time.  That's my guess.  Nit early in the years when coaches and refs are watching closely.

After watching the Dolphins/Patriots game the refs either missed some obvious calls or purposely didn't call them.

After watching the Dolphins/Patriots game the refs either missed some obvious calls or purposely didn't call them.

I'm seeing that in other games too, though also some others where they used to call illegal contact is now being flagged as P.I. I saw one where the was caught, and flagged illegal contact and P.I.  Both penalties were declined.  LOL  I'm gonna track P.I. and defensive holding to, and compare to last 5 years.  Lets see what the league tells them after this weekend...

I'm seeing that in other games too, though also some others where they used to call illegal contact is now being flagged as P.I. I saw one where the was caught, and flagged illegal contact and P.I.  Both penalties were declined.  LOL  I'm gonna track P.I. and defensive holding to, and compare to last 5 years.  Lets see what the league tells them after this weekend...

With 2 games still to go, there were still 8 illegal contact penalties after week 1.  There were only 38 total called after16 weeks last year. I wonder if there will be a commiserate drop in Defensive Holding and/or Pass Interference calls to make up for it?