Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McAfee says he can make a 75-yard field goal in Denver

Adonai

Colts punter Pat McAfee is lobbying to become the Colts’ kicker when Adam Vinatieri retires. McAfee already handles kickoffs for the Colts, and because he has a stronger leg than Vinatieri, he could be called upon if the Colts want to try a field goal from outside Vinatieri’s range.

So how far back could McAfee boot one from? According to McAfee, he could make one from 75 yards — at least at the elevation of Denver. The Colts will open the regular season at Denver, and McAfee hopes he gets the opportunity.

“I think we could legitimately go from 75 yards. Not even a question about it,” McAfee told the Indianapolis Star. “I think in warmups I’d be able to hit from 80, like full strain. Probably try it a couple of times.”

The mile-high altitude of Denver means the air is less dense and kicked footballs travel farther, which is why many of the longest field goals in NFL history, including Matt Prater’s 64-yard record last year, have been kicked in Denver. But could McAfee really boot one from 75 yards, 11 beyond the record?

“I’ve already been politicking for the shot,” he said. “If I kick a 75-yarder at Denver I might retire right afterwards. You might see me untie my shoes on the field and just walk off: ‘See ya.’ You know, go out on top.”

If McAfee can back up his boasts, the Colts won’t even need to cross the 50-yard line to get into field goal range against the Broncos. Bu it’s probably safe to say that Colts coach Chuck Pagano won’t be quite that confident in McAfee’s leg strength.

Well, odds are if he tried that it would come out very low and would have a very good chance at being blocked but no question if we need some kind of "miracle kick" (55+) at the end of the game it's nice to know we at least have a guy in McAfee who could give it a legit shot. 

The guy was failing to get touchbacks at the LOS. He's a joker.

Some of that is coaching.  Don't ask me why but Special Teams coaches will sometimes tell their kicker not to put it in the back of the endzone and to give the return man a chance so the special teams unit can stuff them inside the 20.  Given the Colts struggles on Special Teams at times I would be telling McAfee to put it out of the back of the endzone every time and taking my chances with the other team getting the ball at the 20.

Also worth noting kicking off a T is different from kicking a field goal. 

I mean...I'd love to see it, but I don't know if the coaching staff would give up the field position if he missed or it gets blocked. What is that? Our own 35 yard line?

When Peyton is in the zone; it doesn't matter if he has the ball on his 30 or the other teams 30. 

It will all depend on the situation. If we are down by 2 with only a few seconds left then I would trot him out there and try it.

Before the half, if we are close to midfield with the clock winding down to the last few seconds, heck yeah, I'd give McAfee a shot!!!

Game on the line in the second half at midfield with the clock winding down, if we are trailing, I'd rather go for it on 4th down and put it in the hands of Luck.

It is all situational, ultimately.

I'd give him a shot if it was late in the game and we need 3 points to win or take it into overtime and there was no time to drive the ball further.

That said I'm guessing his low trajectory is likely to be blocked.  

It's not likely that Pat McAfee is the first human being ever with the leg strength to kick that long of a field goal.  It's more likely that people don't kick field goals at that range because any attempt that has any chance of making it over the crossbar is going to have to take such a low trajectory that it will have to be lucky to fly through a forest of hands first.  

It's not worth trying unless we are desperate.

Colts punter Pat McAfee is lobbying to become the Colts’ kicker when Adam Vinatieri retires. McAfee already handles kickoffs for the Colts, and because he has a stronger leg than Vinatieri, he could be called upon if the Colts want to try a field goal from outside Vinatieri’s range.

So how far back could McAfee boot one from? According to McAfee, he could make one from 75 yards — at least at the elevation of Denver. The Colts will open the regular season at Denver, and McAfee hopes he gets the opportunity.

“I think we could legitimately go from 75 yards. Not even a question about it,” McAfee told the Indianapolis Star. “I think in warmups I’d be able to hit from 80, like full strain. Probably try it a couple of times.”

The mile-high altitude of Denver means the air is less dense and kicked footballs travel farther, which is why many of the longest field goals in NFL history, including Matt Prater’s 64-yard record last year, have been kicked in Denver. But could McAfee really boot one from 75 yards, 11 beyond the record?

“I’ve already been politicking for the shot,” he said. “If I kick a 75-yarder at Denver I might retire right afterwards. You might see me untie my shoes on the field and just walk off: ‘See ya.’ You know, go out on top.”

If McAfee can back up his boasts, the Colts won’t even need to cross the 50-yard line to get into field goal range against the Broncos. Bu it’s probably safe to say that Colts coach Chuck Pagano won’t be quite that confident in McAfee’s leg strength.

He's lost his mind...He could do it but they would never let him try because a miss puts the ball inside the Colts' 35, right?

Some of that is coaching.  Don't ask me why but Special Teams coaches will sometimes tell their kicker not to put it in the back of the endzone and to give the return man a chance so the special teams unit can stuff them inside the 20.  Given the Colts struggles on Special Teams at times I would be telling McAfee to put it out of the back of the endzone every time and taking my chances with the other team getting the ball at the 20.

Also worth noting kicking off a T is different from kicking a field goal. 

I think special teams were a low priority for our previous regime.  Our new regime (especially Pagano, who coached special teams at Miami) has been trying to correct that oversight.  I think our special teams performed rather well last year, but my only basis for comparison is our team under Polian's rule.

And as for touchbacks, distance doesn't matter as much as hang-time; and Boomstick is one of the top in the league.  Why give it to the opponent at the 20, when our coverage team should be able to meet him at the 15?

If we're up 33-14 like last season, then I'd do it. But close game? :no:

Or also if it's about to be half-time & we're just shooting in the dark I'd say do it

There are a few scenarios in which they would let him try it and none of them are what you mentioned. 

He's lost his mind...He could do it but they would never let him try because a miss puts the ball inside the Colts' 35, right?

It's very dangerous. There would have to be no time on the clock after the attempt, you'd have to have someone ready to chase down a block return... It's almost not worth it, unless it's the end of the game and you need a FG.

When Peyton is in the zone; it doesn't matter if he has the ball on his 30 or the other teams 30. 

It will all depend on the situation. If we are down by 2 with only a few seconds left then I would trot him out there and try it.

Yeah, didn't think about the time situation. Good call.

two seconds left down by three or less? Why not try it

That's about the only scenario where you'd even think of it..

You could only do it on the final play of the half or the game......and he'd have to make a half dozen of them in warm ups before you'd even let him suggest it

Before the half, if we are close to midfield with the clock winding down to the last few seconds, heck yeah, I'd give McAfee a shot!!!

Game on the line in the second half at midfield with the clock winding down, if we are trailing, I'd rather go for it on 4th down and put it in the hands of Luck.

It is all situational, ultimately.

No way they even consider doing that before the halftime, cause there is a chance of returning the kick (either blocked or short) for a td.. no need to risk that..

It's very dangerous. There would have to be no time on the clock after the attempt, you'd have to have someone ready to chase down a block return... It's almost not worth it, unless it's the end of the game and you need a FG.

Pretty much nails it, regardless of whether he can make it or not, there is only a very limited number of scenarios where this is even going to be thought about. 

I mean...I'd love to see it, but I don't know if the coaching staff would give up the field position if he missed or it gets blocked. What is that? Our own 35 yard line?

LOL. Blocked field goal, recovered at the line of scrimmage. Recovering team is already in field goal range.