Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terry Bradshaw criticizes peyton

CR91

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradshaw always hated Peyton. Some of the stuff he was saying about Peyton during 2010 and then 2011 was just disgraceful.  I remember during the 2013-2014 season, he was to talking to Manning in a brief interview...talking to Manning face-to-face, he sure didn't say anything disparaging to him.  But when it's just making comments on TV or to a reporter, he seems to find the "guts" to take shots at Peyton.  Have no idea what his problem with Peyton is. 

At least I understand why Deion takes shots at times.  He loves Brady and still is bitter at getting caught from behind by the Colts during that return. But he doesn't take it to the level that Bradshaw has in the past.

For what it's worth,  here's the story about this quip....

AND....

There's video too.     Apparently,  Bradshaw had a one-man stage show where he talks about his life and about football to the audience and he says the joke just sort of popped out.     Insists he was kidding, but he won't apologize because while the joke was tasteless, he says it was only a joke, so no need to apologize.    He think Manning will brush it off...

http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/19/terry-bradshaw-my-peyton-joke-was-tasteless-but-i-wont-apologize/

"Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that -- if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy."

Couldn't the same argument be made about Brett Favre as well Terry? Another soon to be HOF QB that you revered & hold in the highest esteem? Favre lost SBs or SB runs in 1998 & 2009 & without  Desmond Howard's kickoff return for a TD Favre would have no ring period. Remember that Terry. 

Also considering that you played with the 70's Steel Curtain during your career, don't you think that they played a large role in your overall success? Hmmm...

Just about anyone that has their head screwed on right will admit that Peyton is a great quarterback, but some like him more than others and the people who don't will point to things like that Super Bowl as reasons for why he isn't as good in their minds.

Truer words have never been spoken, it is not bad to always admit the truth...it can set you free. Peyton HASN'T played well in any of his SB's, really. That does not mean he can't be in your all time list but his Super Bowl performances are NOT impressive:

Vs. Bears: Colts won but Rex was almost our MVP and our run game took over.

Vs. Saints: I am still trying to forget this game......I almost fainted when the pick 6 happened.

Vs. Seahawks: Was that Peyton or a guy who spent the whole day bar hopping in Jersey before the game?

Couldn't the same argument be made about Brett Favre as well Terry? Another soon to be HOF QB that you revered & hold in the highest esteem? Favre lost SBs or SB runs in 1998 & 2009 & without  Desmond Howard's kickoff return for a TD Favre would have no ring period. Remember that Terry. 

Also considering that you played with the 70's Steel Curtain during your career, don't you think that they played a large role in your overall success? Hmmm...

I think a difference with Favre can be that not many call him the GOAT publicly or best ever like they do with Manning. People have come to EXPECT more from Peyton.....the best ever label has been going on for some time. With the best ever label also comes more criticism when you don't deliver in big games whether it is fair or not. Same with Lebron James at times in the NBA. Many think Favre is among the best ever but they don't often call him GOAT like they do with Manning/Brady.

Favre also doesn't seem to still have the rabid following Peyton has. Favre has had his media ups and downs over the years and lost some of that golden boy image. Manning has a much more revered image for the NFL and fans.

Terry thinks of himself as a good QB just because he has 4 rings. all terry was was a slightly better trent dilfer of his time. that's all the steelers needed from him because they were stacked at literally every other position.

Terry did win 2 super bowl MVPs. So calling him a slightly better Dilfer is a stretch. His 4-0 record in super bowls is nothing to diss. He had a passer rating of 112 in super bowls. Bradshaw is rated 44th in the top 100 players in history. Just because you don't care for him these numbers don't lie.

His playing for the steel curtain was great but his super bowl play was also very good. He did win 2 super bowl MVPs and might have made the best pass in super bowl history in the 64 yard TD to Swann in super bowl X. Having a hate or distaste for him really don't give him the credit that he may or may not deserve. He had the impression of being dumb? Really? He played that roll all the way to the bank. He is rated #44 on the greatest 100 players in history. Don't get me wrong I am no Bradshaw type of guy but to overlook what he did do is wrong no matter who he is.

Truer words have never been spoken, it is not bad to always admit the truth...it can set you free. Peyton HASN'T played well in any of his SB's, really. That does not mean he can't be in your all time list but his Super Bowl performances are NOT impressive:

Vs. Saints: I am still trying to forget this game......I almost fainted when the pick 6 happened.

Vs. Seahawks: Was that Peyton or a guy who spent the whole day bar hopping in Jersey before the game?

You had to remind of that Saints game that one still haunts me

I know I will take some heat for this but here goes. Bradshaw is right. If greatness IS measured in super bowls as some say then he is right. I don't think that's the case but for some it is true. Bradshaw is 4-0 in super bowls while Manning is 1-3. All this does is prove that it takes a total team to win playoff games and super bowls. Way too much is put into the greatness of a QB when it is his team mates who make it possible for him to be great. After reading the article I think Bradshaw was only joking but the sad part is it's no joke. Manning is a legend here in the Colt fan base so those fans get over protective of anything negative about Manning. Put some big boy pants on and accept the truth even if it was a joke.

I know I will take some heat for this but here goes. Bradshaw is right. If greatness IS measured in super bowls as some say then he is right. I don't think that's the case but for some it is true. Bradshaw is 4-0 in super bowls while Manning is 1-3. All this does is prove that it takes a total team to win playoff games and super bowls. Way too much is put into the greatness of a QB when it is his team mates who make it possible for him to be great. After reading the article I think Bradshaw was only joking but the sad part is it's no joke. Manning is a legend here in the Colt fan base so those fans get over protective of anything negative about Manning. Put some big boy pants on and accept the truth even if it was a joke.

Well said.

"Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that -- if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy."

These types of comments will be non-stop all season. Just like last season all Manning heard about was his one and done's. This year he will hear about the SB losses. I would imagine he could care less but this will be a brutal season in terms of the media and I don't think anyone is surprised. It is what it is.

This coming from a guy who sat on the bench in college behind Duck Dynasty's dad Phil Robertson. If Robertson never quit, Bradshaw probably wouldn't have been in the NFL.

Now there is an outstanding and completely rational reason to discount Bradshaw's comments.

Just about anyone that has their head screwed on right will admit that Peyton is a great quarterback, but some like him more than others and the people who don't will point to things like that Super Bowl as reasons for why he isn't as good in their minds.

Like ALL the one and dones! Woot Woot!

Weak division, and over 40% of his reg season wins against 7 teams, Houston, Jags, Bengals, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Titans.

Played indoors so much. A huge asteric compared to the prior generations.

Played scared in the pocket (Happy Feet) his 1st 5 years with 100 Int`s to show for it.

Pass happy and ONLY Won a SB because of his running game and defense. 3TD`s 7 Int`s that year in playoffs.

Not that he wasn`t VG of course. :thmup: 

Loved the $$$ & his $tat$. And my favorite, EARNED $26M to rehab. What a guy!!

Peyton has his limitations that were overcome by smarts vs less than elite teams. His record, even in the regular season, vs the elite teams that made the playoffs has hovered around the .500-.600 range. So, looking at it objectively, fans and analysts lose sight of that fact and act like they should be surprised if his playoff record against such teams hover around the same range.

The main differences where Brady scores over Peyton is his arm strength that cuts down on turnovers and ability to do QB sneaks. You jump a route with Brady, you get an incompletion most of the time but with Peyton, you can get an INT. Against elite DBs, those things matter in the playoffs and their records show. Otherwise, Brady would be a similar immobile QB like Peyton. Peyton, I firmly believe, has to work that extra hard to overcome his limitations of mobility and arm strength, IMO, and if he was not deified by the media and fans (to an extent, he is responsible for his own hype machine too by putting himself out there) as much, people would not be inclined to praise him as much or criticize him as much. Deep down, I do commend him for recognizing those weaknesses throughout his life and working on it to overcome those as much as possible but sooner or later, it catches up to him.

Favre never had an issue with arm strength. If Favre had Peyton's decision making abilities, he would have won more SBs. Besides, how many teams have we seen win the SB giving up 30 pts in 2 playoff games outside the recent hot hand-Flacco led Ravens? Peyton took more money earlier in his career due to the lack of a rookie salary cap while Brady took less and thus had better teams because the salary made it easier to build a better rounded team. Rodgers, Flacco, Russell Wilson, Brees all won their SB before their biggest contract was/will be in place. Eli was the only one in recent years who won while being drafted during the times of no rookie salary cap but then Jerry Reese had better defensive draft picks than Polian, IMO, to surround Eli with better defensive talent and Coughlin is a very good coach.

His playing for the steel curtain was great but his super bowl play was also very good. He did win 2 super bowl MVPs and might have made the best pass in super bowl history in the 64 yard TD to Swann in super bowl X. Having a hate or distaste for him really don't give him the credit that he may or may not deserve. He had the impression of being dumb? Really? He played that roll all the way to the bank. He is rated #44 on the greatest 100 players in history. Don't get me wrong I am no Bradshaw type of guy but to overlook what he did do is wrong no matter who he is.

The Cowboys were my team in his days and i don`t recall being Glad they had him as their QB. He got it done.

And just dumb enough to have a big honest streak.

Weak division, and over 40% of his reg season wins against 7 teams, Houston, Jags, Bengals, Browns, Bills, Raiders, Titans.

Played scared in the pocket (Happy Feet) his 1st 5 years with 100 Int`s to show for it.

Pass happy and ONLY Won a SB because of his running game and defense. 3TD`s 7 Int`s that year in playoffs.

Loved the $$$ & his Manning. And my favorite, EARNED $26M to rehab. What a guy!!

yeah, he sucked huh. Why are you here again?

Loved the $$$ & his Manning. And my favorite, EARNED $26M to rehab. What a guy!!

Rehab sucks.  It is harder than any football practice.

Manning worked harder than any player on the roster when injured.  That is all I will say on this one.  Pain sucks.

Bradshaw needs to shut his trap. He had 4 rings because his TEAM was good. 

You don't see him cracking on Jim Kelly!! 

AND...He better NOT!!!

That would be the best way to lose his job!  He is pompous enough without mouthing off about something as serious as cancer.

Bradshaw once called John Elway the most overrated player in the league. And the Steelers own PR guy called him the most insincere person he has ever met. I like Bradshaw, but some of the stuff he says I take with a grain of salt.

If you like a quarterback who has a 70.9 rating and only 2 more TD passes then interceptions in his career but won 4 SB's because he got lucky and played for a team that managed to assemble one of the best defenses in the history of football then Terry Bradshaw is your guy.

Seriously Terry?

51.9% completion, 212 TD's to 210 Ints for 27,989 yards and a 70.9 passer rating??

vs

65.4% completion, 491 TD's to 219 Int's for 64,964 yards and a 97.2 passer rating.  

SHUT UP.  CHRISTIAN FREAKING PONDER HAS A BETTER STATS THEN YOU.

SO DOES MATT CASSEL

YOUR PASSER RATING IS WORSE THEN BOTH BRANDON WEEDEN AND MARK "BUTT FUMBLE" SANCHEZ.

Your rookie year you threw 24 interceptions to 6 touchdowns you had a 38.1% completion percentage and 30.4 passer rating that year.  You didn't throw more TD's then interceptions until your 6th freaking year.  

If you played in the NFL today the way you played in the 70's you wouldn't even be on a freaking practice squad.  In fact I doubt you could have made a college football team today.

Loved the $$$ & his Manning. And my favorite, EARNED $26M to rehab. What a guy!!

Each and every one and done were different games with different scenarios. 

And? With him at QB he beat the teams he`s supposed to beat 

Opposing teams were also indoors when at the Dome/Luke?

"Scared"? laugh at this one. Peyton was fearless in the pocket and took hits while still delivering the ball

Pass happy? Agree.. Running game- sure helped! Defense? how many Super Bowls WOULD the Colts have IF they always had a decent defense?

He was very good

Do you really think he wanted to be on the sidelines with a possible career ending neck injury? What a guy you are!

This logic thing has eluded you, hasn't it?

If you like a quarterback who has a 70.9 rating and only 2 more TD passes then interceptions in his career but won 4 SB's because he got lucky and played for a team that managed to assemble one of the best defenses in the history of football then Terry Bradshaw is your guy.

Seriously Terry?

51.9% completion, 212 TD's to 210 Ints for 27,989 yards and a 70.9 passer rating??

vs

65.4% completion, 491 TD's to 219 Int's for 64,964 yards and a 97.2 passer rating.  

SHUT UP.  CHRISTIAN FREAKING PONDER HAS A BETTER STATS THEN YOU.

SO DOES MATT CASSEL

YOUR PASSER RATING IS WORSE THEN BOTH BRANDON WEEDEN AND MARK "BUTT FUMBLE" SANCHEZ.

Your rookie year you threw 24 interceptions to 6 touchdowns you had a 38.1% completion percentage and 30.4 passer rating that year.  You didn't throw more TD's then interceptions until your 6th freaking year.  

If you played in the NFL today the way you played in the 70's you wouldn't even be on a freaking practice squad.  In fact I doubt you could have made a college football team today.

That's a tad unfair. It's not like Manning could post his modern numbers in the NFL of 1975

His playoff record isn't the best either in games where he was the favorite and at home. That is reality regardless of what kind of team he had around him. How many times did we finish a 13-3 off with a first round playoff exit at the Hoosier Dome? I think he played with some pretty good WR unless Marvin and Reggie were all Peyton. Dallas Clark. I think emotion is getting in the way here. 

I love Peyton and think he changed the way the game is played is a first ballot HOF and one of the greatest of all time but to argue he was successful in the playoffs/super bowls is not correct. He has a losing record in both. There may be valid reason's for that but those are the numbers. Is he a great person and did he do a lot for the franchise and the city of Indy, yes of course. Does he own a boat load of records yes. He has the record for most consecutive play off berths He was tough as nails started a record 200+ games. But his regular season and playoff numbers don't' match up well especially the W/L 

Regular season 491 Td's 219 int's with a 97.2 passer rating

Playoffs               37 Td's   24  int's with a 86.8 passer rating and he went one and done 8/13 years.

In college he struggled to beat Florida. That is just the way it is. Bradshaw is a horse's a$$ but the numbers support him. Doesn't mean he is not a great QB or person. Marino never won a Super Bowl don't think anyone is going to claim he doesn't belong in the hall of fame or he isn't a great player. Manning struggled in the big games so what..

The dude was an average QB with the all-time most dominant defense during the entire 70s.  If Manning had the 2000 Ravens defense for 7 years, he would have won 7 superbowls.  Heck, most QBs who had that defense for 7 years would have won 7 superbowls - even Bradshaw at his then current age.

This is the most anyone's cared about anything Terry Bradshaw said in a long time.

It sounds like it was an off-the-cuff remark. It's not the Super Bowls that hurt Manning IMO as much as his overall playoff record. Even a lot of the all-time greats hover around .500, but being sub-.500 doesn't jive with the rest of his career performances/numbers. Don't get me wrong, it's a team sport, and I'm not one to bash needlessly. But I do believe in the validity of win/loss records for QBs, assuming there is an adequate enough sampling.

That's a tad unfair. It's not like Manning could post his modern numbers in the NFL of 1975

Maybe not as many yards and TD's but he would still be extremely an efficient passer.  Perhaps even more so. 

And remember Joe Montana posted some pretty good numbers and he entered the league only 9 years after Bradshaw entered the league.

Montana's career numbers are

63.2% completion 273 TD's 139 Ints, 40,551 yards, 92.3 QB rating.

Fran Tarkenton entered the league 9 years before Bradshaw and posted

57% completion 342 TD's  266 Ints, 47,003 yards and a 80.4 rating

Staubach started his first year a year before Bradshaw and posted

57% completion 153 TD's 109 Int's 22,700 yards, 83.4 rating.  

Bradshaw was just an average QB at best, he quite possibly could have rather sucked and that reality just gets lost in 4 SB wins because he played on the same team as the Steel Curtain.  Remember these are not just good defenses they are Epic defenses.  The Steelers where so successful because they where the only team to ever keep an epic defense together for a long period of time.  The other epic defenses '85 bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs only stayed together for one season.  And all of those teams took average to below average QB's to SB wins.  

I was watching America's game about the Steelers and an article before their first SB win stated that the Steelers where the only team in the playoffs that didn't have a quarterback.  

Bradshaw couldn't even find his way on a practice squad in todays NFL.  His rookie year stats are no joke, 6 TD's to 24 Int's with a 38.1 % completion rate 1410 yards and a 30.4 passer rating.  Literally every quarterback on an NFL practice squad could post better numbers then that.

For comparison Curtis Painter in 2011 was

54.3% completion for 1541 yards, 6 TD's and 9 Ints.  66.6 passer rating.

I have said it before, and will say it again Terry Bradshaw is one of the most overrated qb's in football history. Along with Favre. Granted Peyton has not looked all that great in his Super Bowl runs, but look at Brady he sure has won a few... and lost them too. In fact both he and Peyton started of Super Bowls by being called for safties, and went on to get beat in those games. It wouldn't be far fetched to see Brady riding off into the sunset having lost as many as he has won. The question there is will that be taken into account when looking back at his career? So far that hasn't seemed to be an issue, and some seem to still be enamered by the NFL's so called golden boy. Peyton on the other hand is looked at as a someone who chokes when the chips are on the line. John Elway himself lost quite a few big games before managing to go out on top in epic fashion. As far as I'm concerned the king of the quartebacking mountain is... and always will be Joe Montana.