Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does Skip Bayless hate on Andrew so much?

James

Whoah, now...i agree with you on everything. Im merely stating ESPN didnt create this monster. They are just feediing it. He probably practices that scowl in the mirror. As far as Rome, i still hold out hope that Jim Everett is merely waiting for the right time to finish what he started.

: haha: Here here.

Sorry, it sounded like you supported Rome, but regardless I wasn't attacking you - it's just the mood I slip into at the thought of him.

And there is an old Perry Mason episode on in the background, and seconds after I posted this a trial started regarding the death of a character named Rome. :funny:

Edited by MAC

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh Skip.... he's like a kid throwing a tantrum, ignore him. 

You know what irks me most about him is I don't think he's dumb by any means, but has traded in being a serious sports journalist for playing to the baying mob. The whole thing is a carefully managed stage act. Him and Stephen A are nothing more than a comedy duo. 

I don't know.  His direct shot at Luck seem a bit over the top to me.  That's some 'mean girl' quality stuff.

Nobody crowned anyone.

I like that Andrew doesn't respond to this sort of thing.  He's our guy!

I see why Skip gets the big bucks. Its gotta take a certain level of skill, to get people that expect nonsense from you, to still flip out when you say stuff. He makes the people reacting just as much comedy as his biased   comments.

You do know that for sports journalism ESPN is a dream job right? And that ESPN First Take is up there with PTI? Then trust me, if Skip Bayless wasn't doing EXACTLY what he was being paid to do, he'd get fired DURING the show. (slight exaggeration)

Skip just leverages the odds(based on history) against the present to predict the future. Ever hear him say "history is on my side" or "the numbers support me". He's just gets things right sometimes diue to his deep knowledge of the past. Its not hard to say LBJ will never get more rings than Jordan, only a handful of people have more rings than jordan, the youngest R Horry. Its not hard to pick RGIII to have quicker success than A Luck, RGIII ran and the read-option gimmick was just taking off. Also, we were a legit #1 pick team, WAS moved up.

Skip is not a clown, he just decided to make a living being the antagonist. And a nice living does he make. So do yourself a favor, laugh and move on. I only watch when there are competent guests on there that go at him. Other than that, I pass.

Have seen it for some time now, but he never explains why? Luck is a good guy and hasn't been cocky or claimed to be the Chosen One before winning anything like LeBron or anything like that. What's his agenda?

We all know he only uses fact that suits his "argument", and then he disregards everything else.

Just take his latest tweet.

Don't get the premature coronation of Andrew Luck. 2nd in NFL turnovers as rookie. 7 INTs in 2 playoff games last yr. That's all-time great?

— Skip Bayless (@RealSkipBayless)

May 22, 2014

What coronation? Nobody is even saying these things. This dude just makes things up or what?

Here's the thing with skip.  You have to laugh at him, if not, he will frustrate you til no end.  I followed him on twitter for about two weeks and that was to long, if I watch First take, I flip the channel when he starts talking.  He wants to be heard and he will say anything to be heard.  

Skip is a clown, who tries to portray himself as a journalist.  

Have seen it for some time now, but he never explains why? Luck is a good guy and hasn't been cocky or claimed to be the Chosen One before winning anything like LeBron or anything like that. What's his agenda?

We all know he only uses fact that suits his "argument", and then he disregards everything else.

Just take his latest tweet.

Don't get the premature coronation of Andrew Luck. 2nd in NFL turnovers as rookie. 7 INTs in 2 playoff games last yr. That's all-time great?

May 22, 2014

What coronation? Nobody is even saying these things. This dude just makes things up or what?

Finding a way to win when the pressure is on IS a Great attribute and a Huge part of a QB`s evaluation.

Skip is much more interested in passing talent when he wants to discuss this ERA`s QB`s.

Well let`s start with the best in 25 years "CORONATION". 

When you look at passing talent, Skip probably noticed the last 5 games of Andrews Rookie season where his completion % was exactly 50% ONE GAME and in the 40`s the other 4. He Sucked a lot!!!! Too Many Bad decisions/Bad throws.

Or for last season he graded as the PFF 12th rated QB and the 1st one on that list with a Negative passer grade.

If you grade weighting considerably towards Passing, Maybe he is 8th or 12th bla bla bla. Whatever!

A typical Colt Homer doesn`t have any interest in hearing about Andrews issues, he gets an automatic pass.

Yip, Winning IS Everything, but there can be Devil in the TAPE/details.

A Reasonable eye tells us Andrew does Already have SOME Awesomeness, but he also has a LOT to improve on.

Skippy will sing a little drifferent tune after this season as Andrew, with more Experience with his Receiving Core, a decent running game, and consistently a little more time to throw, he will Earn a higher grade amongst his peers.

And it won`t really matter, as Winning...

YOU are giving him EXACTLY what his is bumping around at....   

ATTENTION.       And he is getting it.      Simply by being controversial.  

He is a blowhard ....     don't hang on his every word.    

EVERYONE knows AL is the real deal, and when Indy finally gets him a OL and a D...     He "might" be as productive, efficient, and CLUTCH as Russel Wilson.     Heeeheheeeeee    

I rank Romo 13th. Above him: Brady, Peyton, Brees, ARodg, Ben, Eli, Rivers, MRyan, RWilson, Kaep, Cam, RG3. Below: Luck, Cutler, Flacco.

May 22, 2014

RGIII, Cam; Kaepernick over Luck? 

Come on now; Skip.

If you notice, on almost every topic he goes against the popular opinion. He liked RG3 over Luck. He hates LeBron.

There are a lot of people who are not fans of Mr. Floppy aka Lebron James. The guys pention for doing so will keep he out of the list of greatest players.

There are a lot of people who are not fans of Mr. Floppy aka Lebron James. The guys pention for doing so will keep he out of the list of greatest players.

I found it funny that the Pacers crowd was chanting "FLOPPER" at LeBron, but Stephenson was the one with the ridiculous flop, and he got fined for it.

I can't even read this topic past the first post. I immediately clicked on the Twitter link and my brain exploded upon seeing that Skip Bayless has over 1 million subscribers to his twitter. That alone is enough to melt the entire planet

LeBron is the most hated NBA player in the league right now. Just cause the league and ESPN have marketed him as MJ 2.0 don't mean he really is as liked as Jordan was, but he clearly has all the marketing and advertising campaign equivalent to a young Jordan and the Heat are the new 90's Bulls in this matter. The Heat are probably the most hated team in all of sports right now, and when they sell a lot of "BEAT THE HEAT" and other shirts that all say stuff like Screw Miami, you know the NBA is making bank on everyone's hate for LeBron's mega ego and that team in general.

It don't matter if people hate him or not, he makes bank for them, and if they hate him that's all the better cause the NBA has taken great advantage marketing the hate of the Heat. If you browse online for NBA shirts, you're bound to come across many differentiations of "The Heat suck" shirts kinda like all the "Beat L.A." stuff from the 80's.

I found it funny that the Pacers crowd was chanting "FLOPPER" at LeBron, but Stephenson was the one with the ridiculous flop, and he got fined for it.

If you watch the when Lebron went down no one touched him, and both were pretty bad flops... but only one was fined.

He is already on that list

Not in my opinion. The guy can play, but his flopping makes him a joke, and seeing refs call fouls against people who dare to even look at him is sad. ESPN was using highlights of Mr. Floppy commiting a charge only not getting called for it. Bill Simmons even shouted out to Joey Crawford at the end of the half in the last game. We have seen some really bad officiating night after night in the entire NBA playoffs though... and not just in Heat games.

If you watch the when Lebron went down no one touched him, and both were pretty bad flops... but only one was fined.

He took a hard foul from David West. To say no one touched him is inaccurate. Now I agree that West didn't push him down, the way it originally looked, but it seemed to me that LeBron was already falling forward, and he kind of lurched because he didn't want to land on his knee. 

Yeah, he flops. Everyone flops. But I didn't think that play was a flop, personally.

Skip Bayless has been a success for ESPN, even though he's widely hated.

You need someone there to create controversy cause it brings in viewers. I'm sure many of you wouldn't even know who this guy is if he wasn't badmouthing someone you liked. I didn't know who he was myself until about 3 years ago when he was bashing Aaron Rodgers. It don't matter what he says, if you like it or not, he gets your attention and that's all there is to it. ESPN wins more viewers one way or the other and that equals = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any controversy is good publicity in this field.

Yeah...stuff like this and the very recent "breaking news" peripheral stories are the very reasons why the only part of sports entertainment I have time for any longer is what happens on the field.  

Oh...I watched and listened to my share of this stuff for quite a while like most of us. After all, what the hell else is there in the off-season or on the ride to work?

But between Bob Costas stomping his size 6 shoes about guns or team names...Jim Rome and his legion of sycophants, .....Skip Bayless and Steven A. Smith with their fake wrestling-level debates....Mike Greenberg, who carries the jockstrap of Mike Golic, who at best, carried the jockstraps of Reggie White and Jerome Brown....the entire TV/radio sports talk genre has gotten way past old for me.

Even "Outside the Lines", a mostly thoughtful and serious look at sports behind the scenes, has begun to run its course.

I began enjoying football a long time ago when for the most part, the only discussion that took place was on game day, and directly relating to the game being played.

Now...if the game is not enough there is ESPN or NFLN....a zillion websites, and Twitter beating it all to death. If enjoying all of it is your thing, then be my guest....but for me it's all just becoming a blur.

As for shooting the nonsense here on the Forum, it's the trip to the corner bar I use to enjoy but gave up years back. Other than that all I have time for anymore is the game itself. :shoe:

Edited by Nadine
inappropriate

Some thoughts,  if I may,  about the ESPN family of networks.....

Beyond ESPN,  there is, of course, ESPN2,  ESPN3 (which is on-line viewing of events like college football pro days) there is also ESPNews and ESPNU for college sports, and ESPN Classic where today I watched rookie J.R. Hildebrand (sp?) crash his Indy car about a mile from the finish while leading the 100th anniversary 500 race while a 23 year old rookie in 2011.    Amazing!

All of those are 24/7/365, which requires a ton of programming.   Not all of it is going to be good.

I'm not encouraging anyone here to watch the opinion or chat shows designed to stir things up.   I like a few of them, but most of them I can completely live without.

But I would encourage you to watch the core staples of the network.   Watch SportsCenter.   Watch the shows dedicated to the individual sports that you like.    Watch shows on Football (Pro and College)  watch shows on basketball, or baseball, or car racing or any other sport.  Those sports are covered by the best experts ESPN can find.    You may not always agree with them,  but you'll be much more informed, much more dialed into the sport you care about.   ESPN still does a very, very good job on the main sports by and large.   They cover the Big Sports with solid credible reporters and anchors who are smart enough to know that the sport is the main thing and the experts are more important than they are. 

If you're not watching the basic ESPN because of your dislike of guys like Skip Bayless and Steve A Smith, then you're throwing out the baby with the bath water.    The person you're hurting is.....   you.   

Get your knowledge,  your 411 from them.   And then ignore the stuff you don't like...     That's a win-win for you!

Just some food for thought.....

The difference between Lance's flop and Lebron's is simply practice.  If Lance flops a few thousand more times, he'll be better at not getting fined.   Plus, if he and Paul George can stick together and keep growing with Hibbert, they will all get calls in their favor eventually.  

Whoever said above something about Lebron being marketed as a young MJ... well... he's already finishing his 9th season.. he's not young anymore really is he? 

Skip Bayless does what he does.  I agree with him about 10% of the time and Stephen A. about 70% of the time.  Skip so wants to play to his far left wing politics any chance he gets that I find that more tiresome than his predictable going against the grain schtick.  He and Stephen A. spend way too much time on race politics as well when I think we get enough of that droning from our politicians.  I found it ironic that they asked for "understanding" from anyone in the NFL being homophobic, but they were the first to wave the lynching flags against that tool Donald Sterling.  'Nothing if not hypocritical' should be their slogan.  Selective moral outrage has more than run its course I think.  They don't care when an NFLer rapes a woman or beats a woman or breaks gun laws (though both are against guns, another irony) and ask that we have forgiveness and to give these thugs a second chance, but they want Sterling strung up and they want Irsay to be punished to the extreme and in a big hurry, because they are all for athletes using recreational or PE drugs and getting away with it, but not someone with an obvious addiction disease.   Hypocrits, both of them.  ESPN in general has been harshly against Jim Irsay (even trying to compare him to Sterling which is obscenely unfair and disconnected).  These guys are wrong on most of their predictions.  So why give them any credibility or let them ruffle too many feathers?  I know it's hard... they've snared me in their trap on many occasions I must admit.   

Some thoughts, if I may, about the ESPN family of networks.....

Beyond ESPN, there is, of course, ESPN2, ESPN3 (which is on-line viewing of events like college football pro days) there is also ESPNews and ESPNU for college sports, and ESPN Classic where today I watched rookie J.R. Hildebrand (sp?) crash his Indy car about a mile from the finish while leading the 100th anniversary 500 race while a 23 year old rookie in 2011. Amazing!

All of those are 24/7/365, which requires a ton of programming. Not all of it is going to be good.

I'm not encouraging anyone here to watch the opinion or chat shows designed to stir things up. I like a few of them, but most of them I can completely live without.

But I would encourage you to watch the core staples of the network. Watch SportsCenter. Watch the shows dedicated to the individual sports that you like. Watch shows on Football (Pro and College) watch shows on basketball, or baseball, or car racing or any other sport. Those sports are covered by the best experts ESPN can find.....

And then there's ESPN-Ocho, "if it barely resembles a sport, we've got it!" (Dodgeball reference)

Some thoughts,  if I may,  about the ESPN family of networks.....

Beyond ESPN,  there is, of course, ESPN2,  ESPN3 (which is on-line viewing of events like college football pro days) there is also ESPNews and ESPNU for college sports, and ESPN Classic where today I watched rookie J.R. Hildebrand (sp?) crash his Indy car about a mile from the finish while leading the 100th anniversary 500 race while a 23 year old rookie in 2011.    Amazing!

All of those are 24/7/365, which requires a ton of programming.   Not all of it is going to be good.

I'm not encouraging anyone here to watch the opinion or chat shows designed to stir things up.   I like a few of them, but most of them I can completely live without.

But I would encourage you to watch the core staples of the network.   Watch SportsCenter.   Watch the shows dedicated to the individual sports that you like.    Watch shows on Football (Pro and College)  watch shows on basketball, or baseball, or car racing or any other sport.  Those sports are covered by the best experts ESPN can find.    You may not always agree with them,  but you'll be much more informed, much more dialed into the sport you care about.   ESPN still does a very, very good job on the main sports by and large.   They cover the Big Sports with solid credible reporters and anchors who are smart enough to know that the sport is the main thing and the experts are more important than they are. 

If you're not watching the basic ESPN because of your dislike of guys like Skip Bayless and Steve A Smith, then you're throwing out the baby with the bath water.    The person you're hurting is.....   you.   

Get your knowledge,  your 411 from them.   And then ignore the stuff you don't like...     That's a win-win for you!

Just some food for thought.....

You make good points....but for me there's just too much "bath water" to swim thru trying to find the "baby".

SportsCenter is a reliable one-stop shop if you're a fan of alot of different sports, except that just about every host since Keith Olbermann seems to think they're there to earn their next meal with clever jokes. So much so that its actually refreshing that they brought back Olbermann himself...who IMO, probably shoulda stuck with sports the entire time.

I understand that each of the procession of SportsCenter hosts have developed a certain style and that the business calls for that...but in alot of cases it comes across SO scripted that its painful getting thru to the substance. Kenny Mayne, who in spite of the most painful of family trials, was funny just being his quirky self...as was Olbermann and his smart aleck style alongside Dan Patrick.

When NFLN came along I was pretty happy since its dedicated to football alone...which along with some college football and NHL hockey....is pretty much where my sports interests end. But anymore....NFL AM too often morphs annoyingly close to the cheesy, AM radio morning zoo nonsense that ESPN's First Take is.

I mean go ahead and have a little fun....but they get carried away IMO.

In the NFL's quest to market itself all the way to Pluto...NFL AM's promos often feature Nicole Zalumis' "tune in for all the fallout" teases. And sure enough....they talk waaayyy more about fallout than the damn game. Can they lighten up on the often-manufactured "fallout" and for God's sake....can they please stop things like "Dancing with the Starters"?

And by the way.....how did that Total Access "Pick Magnet" segment work out?

The game is under siege by the fluff and the fat....so badly that even good peripheral sports entertainment is getting hard to weed thru and find. If it sells...it sells, I'm just not watching it anymore.

I guess I just miss the old days. :lecture:

There's a few possible reasons for his statements.  First and foremost, just like most of the analysts, they have their "favorite".  Especially with the "new school" QB's ( I believe he likes RG3), therefore his personal opinion gets in the way at times. 

Second off, his standpoint about turnovers as a rookie and int's in the playoffs (which he is finding statistics to back his thoughts up).  Nothing wrong with it at all, and to some extent I agree, BUT he fails to admit Luck's rookie season the Colts organization was in shambles (before he arrived, unlike Redskins/Seahawks)  Luck put the team on his back (He got praised for his achievements, and blamed for the mistakes, he was "The man" who ran the team).  Just like the playoffs, it was on Luck to win or lose (because he didn't win the SB like RW doesn't mean anything about their playing ability (ITS A TEAM SPORT).  If he wants to look at the negative side about his QB (RG3), look at his injury, or that some may even argue he wasn't even the best rookie on the team!  He threw the ball 15-20 times a game while the workhorse RB carried the load... 

Anyway, another BIG reason to make these claims is strictly for ratings on the show.  If everybody agreed all the time,(especially on controversial topics) would First Take get great ratings?  No,  the media plays on peoples emotions to gain interest!!

If people just used common sense we all know Luck is at least in the top 10 (talent wise), I even consider him in the top 5.

Because Skip Bayless isn't so much a journalist anymore as he is a television character that he plays on a TV show. Skip Bayless gets paid a lot of money by ESPN to be a troll and it's a role he plays well. If you notice, on almost every topic he goes against the popular opinion. He liked RG3 over Luck. He hates LeBron. He thinks Tebow can play QB in the NFL. He thinks Manziel should have gone #1. He does it to get viewers. Plain and Simple.

I think the bolded is a good enough reason to ignore him.  

He thinks Tebow can be an NFL QB.  Well 32 of 32 NFL GM's disagree with him.  

I like Tebow as a person most of the time, but he's just not an NFL player.  At least not at QB.