Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts unlikely to lose draft pick due to Irsay discipline

TKnight24

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/446293601589268480

@HolderStephen: Some have asked whether #Colts could be impacted by NFL discipline of Irsay (draft pick?). This is extremely unlikely http://t.co/KHqZ5OoPVa

EDIT: Posted the tweet 2 times. Embed version & regular version for those who can't see the embed version.

Also, here's the link to the article for those who can't load it through the tweet

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/03/19/colts-unlikely-to-face-punishment-for-jim-irsays-arrest/6602141/

That honestly would have been an unfair punishment to began with. You punish an entire organization and team for a health concern for the GM? thats ridiculous addiction is a disease he's been battling, why would you deduct a draft selection from the organization for that?

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/446293601589268480

@HolderStephen: Some have asked whether #Colts could be impacted by NFL discipline of Irsay (draft pick?). This is extremely unlikely http://t.co/KHqZ5OoPVa

EDIT: Posted the tweet 2 times. Embed version & regular version for those who can't see the embed version.

Also, here's the link to the article for those who can't load it through the tweet

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/03/19/colts-unlikely-to-face-punishment-for-jim-irsays-arrest/6602141/

Well that's good news they shouldn't lose draft picks for that its not football related.

I didn't even know this was on the table.  And it shouldn't be.  If Denver didn't lose draft picks when Matt Russell and Tom Heckert got DUIs on practically the same day, then Colts shouldn't lose any picks.

I don't think it was anything more than something Mike and Mike conjured up at 3 in the morning.

people that listen to mike and mike should not be allowed to post

I rarely listen to any sports radio except a tiny bit of Dan Lebatard on the way home (he is hilarious) and Dan Patrick in the AM. I still think a draft pick wouldn't be out of the question but that is just my own opinion...more likely I think a suspension for the year and reinstated if he passes treatment and likely we are out of the SB hosting and maybe even take away the Draft Combine....plus the usual fine and service.

I rarely listen to any sports radio except a tiny bit of Dan Lebatard on the way home (he is hilarious) and Dan Patrick in the AM. I still think a draft pick wouldn't be out of the question but that is just my own opinion...more likely I think a suspension for the year and reinstated if he passes treatment and likely we are out of the SB hosting and maybe even take away the Draft Combine....plus the usual fine and service.

Lebatard is funny

Really??? Why punish the Colts organization and the city of Indy for the owner's indiscretions that had absolutely nothing to do with football. This isn't a cheating scandal or bounty gate, this is an owner that has a problem and one that he's been dealing with for yrs.. There should be absolutely no punishment for anybody beyond Irsay for this. The team shouldn't suffer, the city shouldn't suffer, and the fans shouldn't suffer. Irsay will have his legal issue's to deal with and face a suspension for a 1st time offender, nothing more should even be considered.

Steve Tisch said today he was hoping Goodell would "make an example" of Irsay. So happy to hear this isn't the case.

Goodell does work for the owners...and perhaps there will be senior ones that lean heavily on him to do it....still not out of the question even if it is an extreme punishment.

Really??? Why punish the Colts organization and the city of Indy for the owner's indiscretions that had absolutely nothing to do with football. This isn't a cheating scandal or bounty gate, this is an owner that has a problem and one that he's been dealing with for yrs.. There should be absolutely no punishment for anybody beyond Irsay for this. The team shouldn't suffer, the city shouldn't suffer, and the fans shouldn't suffer. Irsay will have his legal issue's to deal with and face a suspension for a 1st time offender, nothing more should even be considered.

It's not about that....maybe if we do suffer we will put pressure on Jim to straighten up..to fly right...to hold him accountable by public outcry of his indiscretions....maybe the organization will look at that their owner and before they see him doing something like this again...or ignoring the warning signs (that have obviously been there) it will cause people to ACT!!! instead of saying its none of my business. People need to wake up to problems like these...BEFORE someone gets hurt...lucky that wasn't the case...but if people within the organization would have felt pressure like having the ORGANIZATION held responsible through picks, hosting Draft Combine etc...they would act and say something to someone or talk to Jim. This could be used as a WAKE UP call to all owners that this sort of behavior will result in serious punishment...including affecting their on the field performance. It's Jim's team..not ours...so while it would be unfair to us...life isn't fair...and we all know that.

All that said that would be a severe scenerio...I don't think it goes that far...but if I was another owner...I would support it...it's a huge black eye to league and undermines their ability to discipline their own guys. Can't have a double standard for players and owners.

It's not about that....maybe if we do suffer we will put pressure on Jim to straighten up..to fly right...to hold him accountable by public outcry of his indiscretions....maybe the organization will look at that their owner and before they see him doing something like this again...or ignoring the warning signs (that have obviously been there) it will cause people to ACT!!! instead of saying its none of my business. People need to wake up to problems like these...BEFORE someone gets hurt...lucky that wasn't the case...but if people within the organization would have felt pressure like having the ORGANIZATION held responsible through picks, hosting Draft Combine etc...they would act and say something to someone or talk to Jim. This could be used as a WAKE UP call to all owners that this sort of behavior will result in serious punishment...including affecting their on the field performance. It's Jim's team..not ours...so while it would be unfair to us...life isn't fair...and we all know that.

All that said that would be a severe scenerio...I don't think it goes that far...but if I was another owner...I would support it...it's a huge black eye to league and undermines their ability to discipline their own guys. Can't have a double standard for players and owners.

I just can't agree. In fact, I think if the NFL does anything at all that would be a detriment to the team instead of just punishing Irsay, IMO they would be setting themselves up for legal trouble and lawsuits. The Colts organization done nothing to be punished, the players done nothing, and the fans done nothing. Therefore, they should not suffer any consequences.

I just can't agree. In fact, I think if the NFL does anything at all that would be a detriment to the team instead of just punishing Irsay, IMO they would be setting themselves up for legal trouble and lawsuits. The Colts organization done nothing to be punished, the players done nothing, and the fans done nothing. Therefore, they should not suffer any consequences.

But that's the thing....Jim=Colts...punishing the Colts punishes Jim...and its something that would affect him and be seen as serious to him much more than a financial one. Most owners will pay a fine no problem...they have BILLIONS and its seen as a COST in running the organization so its tax deductable...it really doesn't hurt them at all. The only way to punish and more importantly than punish is to DETER this activity in the future for owners is to remove them from the organization (suspension) and punish their team (draft picks)....I agree this would be extreme and unprecidented but that doesn't mean they won't set one....the LEAGUE will want to make sure something like this doesn't happen again...and to deter it they should come down hard. That is one way to see it...we will have to find out what they do...the owners could pressure Roger either way.

The problem is though that even though Irsay owns the Colts, what he done was not football related. Therefore punishing the team steps over the NFL's boundaries and opens themselves up for legal issue's. This is a personal problem and one that afflicts millions of people. It needs to be dealt with but only on a personal level. If it really doesn't send that strong of a message just to fine him and/or suspend him, then that's just too bad for the NFL. This wasn't a team issue, its solely a personal issue and can only be dealt with that way.

THE COLTS did not do anything wrong. 

Jim Irsay did.

Now, exercising basic common sense here should tell us that THE COLTS will not be punished for something they had no role in. 

The NFL isn't going to strip the Ravens of draft picks because Ray Rice because he mistook his girlfriend for a punching bag. They didn't punish the Cowboys when josh brent drove drunk and KILLED Jerry Brown. 

So why, then, would the NFL punish THE COLTS for Jim Irsay's non-football related actions?

Some people... They are either void of common sense, or just willfully ignorant. It;s hard to tell which is worse.

This is the real world....of course there is a double standard for the guy that writes the check and the guy that cashes the check.

And Lebatard is funny

but if I was another owner...I would support it

Why? So you could set an unreasonable precedent that might come back to bite you someday.

it's a huge black eye to league

it's really not.  It's a blip on the radar.  Much worse things have been done by both NFL owners, management, and players, and most have been almost completely forgotten.

undermines their ability to discipline their own guys

No, it doesn't they are still the owners and write the checks.

Can't have a double standard for players and owners

You most definitely can ... owners/bosses will always operate under a different set of rules and standards than employees in most any business, including the NFL.

The problem is though that even though Irsay owns the Colts, what he done was not football related. Therefore punishing the team steps over the NFL's boundaries and opens themselves up for legal issue's. This is a personal problem and one that afflicts millions of people. It needs to be dealt with but only on a personal level. If it really doesn't send that strong of a message just to fine him and/or suspend him, then that's just too bad for the NFL. This wasn't a team issue, its solely a personal issue and can only be dealt with that way.

So how is a players personal issues any different? A felony is a felony...both part of the league and 90% of what the players get suspended for are not football related really. I'm not going to go into it any further...I just feel even as a COLTS fan it would be warrented...but thats just me and it probably won't happen.

So how is a players personal issues any different? A felony is a felony...both part of the league and 90% of what the players get suspended for are not football related really. I'm not going to go into it any further...I just feel even as a COLTS fan it would be warrented...but thats just me and it probably won't happen.

he won't be convicted of a felony

Why? So you could set an unreasonable precedent that might come back to bite you someday.

it's really not.  It's a blip on the radar.  Much worse things have been done by both NFL owners, management, and players, and most have been almost completely forgotten.

No, it doesn't they are still the owners and write the checks.

You most definitely can ... owners/bosses will always operate under a different set of rules and standards than employees in most any business, including the NFL.

Sorry as a manager and as a person I hold myself to a high standard...to be an example for my employees and family. If I fail to live up to those standards many times I'm my own worst critic. I would fully expect the consequences of not meeting those standards. I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh and I know the double standards etc...I don't expect this to happen but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. 

I have never heard of any punishment for any player other than fines and suspensions. Even if said player kills someone. This is what I don't get as far as you suggesting some of the things you did for Irsay and the team. Why should the team be dealt a punishment for something the owner done that wasn't football or team related. As someone else pointed out. They have never taken draft picks away from a team because a certain player got in trouble and in some cases, much more serious trouble. The team isn't responsible for the owner's personal problems.

I have never heard of any punishment for any player other than fines and suspensions. Even if said player kills someone. This is what I don't get as far as you suggesting some of the things you did for Irsay and the team. Why should the team be dealt a punishment for something the owner done that wasn't football or team related. As someone else pointed out. They have never taken draft picks away from a team because a certain player got in trouble and in some cases, much more serious trouble. The team isn't responsible for the owner's personal problems.

If they handle it like Alden Smith situation than your right....however I seem to remember situations like Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, Tank Johnson, Donte Stallworth (who did kill someone), Cedric Benson....the list goes on and on...people are very missinformed if they think players haven't been suspended for off the field incidents... just check this link...most because of assult issues etc but some even due to drugs which is no different than Irsay...marajuana isn't a performance enhancer...it just violates the leagues substance abuse policy...same one Irsay violated.....I totally understand we may not lose a pick...I think the owners themselves would have to push Roger for that one...but as bad as this was...its just as serious if not more than many other drug issues....I love my Colts but I would understand if they came down hard on Jim after he gets his head on his shoulders....because if they don't do something to get his attention...it might happen again...and what gets his attention more than anything??? His football team and winning. Punish his team you punish him...he will get fan backlash...organization is put on notice and will try to work with Jim to help insure we put together a supportive environment to stop this from happening again. As a fan I don't want it to happen, I do DOUBT it would happen, but I wouldn't be opposed if it did...Irsay's greatest pride is his team...if he thought his actions would hurt that...than maybe he would think twice. The issue is more serious than a player...its much worse...and could be handled differently...like you said..there is a double standard..maybe they do something to an owner for something that a simple suspension would get for a player...it could work both ways...even if it likely won't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_and_coaches_suspended_by_the_NFL

DG....

Not only are we not going to lose a draft pick, we're not going to lose the combine either.

However, I do think we're going to lose the Super Bowl.   At least the one we're currently bidding on.   We'll get another sometime down the road,  but I think there's only a small chance we'll get the one that's up for a vote this year.   I know NFL people are saying otherwise,  but I'm not buying it.    What they don't want is a SB with the specter of Irsay-issues being a side show distraction.

Until he proves that he's completely clean,  I think Indy's chances are very slim.   I'm sorry to say that and

I hope I'm wrong......