Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown's deal with Chargers

mintor

Donald Brown's deal with Chargers is Gerhart-esque -- three years, $10.5 million, $4 million guaranteed, per source.

That's fair.  Unless you're a top 5 back you're not going to get a big second contract. 

It's amazing how devalued that position has become in the last 10 years.

Solid number for DB.  A little north of my expectation, but I'll bet it's little more than a 1 yr $4M deal when you boil it down to essentials.  San Diego is a beautiful spot to spend a year and put another $4M in your pocket.  DB is a smart guy, and he'll invest it wisely.

not sure if we even made any attempt to bring him back, but it seems we'd welcome him at those numbers

Ya, I don't think there was even a consideration of keeping him. I think that's pretty sad given what DB did this year. Honestly I think SD is getting a better than average RB with not a lot of miles on his tires. I doubt he is anything more than a 3rd down or change of pace back for SD but I liked what he did here this year.

Ya, I don't think there was even a consideration of keeping him. I think that's pretty sad given what DB did this year. Honestly I think SD is getting a better than average RB with not a lot of miles on his tires. I doubt he is anything more than a 3rd down or change of pace back for SD but I liked what he did here this year.

I agree. Tom Telesco should have succeeded Bill Polian, to be honest and not his son. Thanks to Napolianism and Nepotism, that did not happen!!!

Not sad at all. The man can't block anybody . He almost got Luck killed a few times on whiffs last year. With Bradshaw. Ballard, and Richardson in the fold there was really no way they were going to give him any type if money. It is also notable Brown was a chronic underachiever all the way up till it was essential he produce to stay in the league. For all the abuse Richardson gets he is very good at blocking for a RB.

Not sad at all. The man can't block anybody . He almost got Luck killed a few times on whiffs last year. With Bradshaw. Ballard, and Richardson in the fold there was really no way they were going to give him any type if money. It is also notable Brown was a chronic underachiever all the way up till it was essential he produce to stay in the league. For all the abuse Richardson gets he is very good at blocking for a RB.

Yep, Richardson can block. He cant run the ball worth a darn but he can pass block. Say what you want about DBs performance before this year but he did produce this year when he had to. That's more than you can say about some players. I like Bradshaw and think that when he is healthy he is the better back than Brown is. So, I was OK with giving him a contract. It's yet to be seen whether he and Ballard can come back and be healthy. As for Richardson, my opinion of him right now is not good at all. I've stated in other posts that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hold back most criticism until a few games into this coming season.

What I saw from DB this past season was that once he got to the second level, he was very hard to bring down. He broke several long runs, often after shedding numerous tackles. I think that if the O-line in SD can block, he'll be a steal for them.

Brown can block, but he does miss some at times.  will miss Donald he was a trooper & took a lot of % last year & still delivered. No back on the team now with his speed. The price I think was fair. Honestly thought he would get more! & yes Richardson can block. i would prefer he could run too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Hidden by MTC, March 18, 2014 - masked
Hidden by MTC, March 18, 2014 - masked

The only time the piece of garbage did his job well was in a contract year. I hate players

that half butt their job until money is on the line, I really can't stand that guy now!

Horrible post. And by horrible post I mean * stupid

not sure if we even made any attempt to bring him back, but it seems we'd welcome him at those numbers

yes, we certainly did.  he was a valued commodity for the community, the fans, and the Colts organization loved this guy. They didn't let the door hit him on the way out.

Posted · Hidden by MTC, March 18, 2014 - masked
Hidden by MTC, March 18, 2014 - masked

Horrible post. And by horrible post I mean * stupid

Brown did more in his single contract year than all of the previous years combined. In previous years

he would crumble when someone got a fingernail on him so he could stay healthy, but in a contract

year he ran like the devil was chasing him. Not a team player....selfish.

Some guys put it on the line every snap every year, some guys don't.

Donald was a bust, but he did come on right when we needed him. He wasnt worthy of a first round pick, but without him we could have only had Richardson and never would have made the playoffs.

Without Donald Brown we dont win 12 games.

Brown did more in his single contract year than all of the previous years combined. In previous years

he would crumble when someone got a fingernail on him so he could stay healthy, but in a contract

I really won't miss this, although I imagine it'll just get redirected towards some other player.

You are wrong.

Call DB fragile if you want. Accuse him of being unable to stay on the field, but there is abundant evidence that your perception and reality aren't on the same page.

I think it was Warhawk who provided a very interesting and revealing breakdown of Brown a couple years ago, showing that he was ALWAYS a high effort guy. His yards after contact, and tackles broken per attempt numbers put him in pretty lofty company, but unfortunately initial contact was occurring further behind the line of scrimmage than just about anyone else.

Last year's OL was bad, but strangely enough, better than it's been in recent years. There were a few years there towards the end of the Manning era, and in our 2-14 year, that the line was HISTORICALLY bad, and Brown's injuries and production can largely be attributed to that.

But sometimes it's easier to drink the Haterade.

so brown is making about the same money as richardson. i would much rather have brown and a first round pick than richardson, and it's not even close!! this is a major screw up by grigson. he has made some good moves, but bad ones also. if you take away andrew luck, that fell into his lap, has his moves been that impressive? would allen, fleener, and hilton be as good with a lesser qb? i hope he does turn out to be a top gm, but i just don't see how so many people think he is there already.

Donald Brown's deal with Chargers is Gerhart-esque -- three years, $10.5 million, $4 million guaranteed, per source.

Brown, Matthews, & Woodhead on the West Coast now. It could work. Thanks for your INDY contributions Donald & good luck running in those nice temperatures in California. 

Bradshaw, Ballard, & Richardson...sounds like a law firm. INDY won't miss Brown at all...

I think BoTT was spot on.

That is stupid. 

so brown is making about the same money as richardson. i would much rather have brown and a first round pick than richardson, and it's not even close!! this is a major screw up by grigson. he has made some good moves, but bad ones also. if you take away andrew luck, that fell into his lap, has his moves been that impressive? would allen, fleener, and hilton be as good with a lesser qb? i hope he does turn out to be a top gm, but i just don't see how so many people think he is there already.

Brown is making way more than Richardson. The Browns paid most of his contract to him before shipping him to us. He is gtting peanuts currently.