Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts near deal with CB Vontae Davis, or not? (Reports) [Merge]

MTC

I dont see a team willing to pay a good but inconsistent Corner 10 mill fully guaranteed with the hopes that he lives up to his full potential...He clearly has shown flashes of what he can do...which is the reason for the incentive based deal, ya give him a fully guaranteed deal and ya get a year like you did last year or the year before and your gonna be out a butt load of money

He wasn't nearly as inconsistent as you/some are trying to make him out to be.  Also like jvan said, no one suggested a fully guaranteed contract.  

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is suggesting a fully guaranteed contract? 5 years 50 million with about half guaranteed is what i think he will get

so you and I are not really far off on what we would be willing to fork out if it was us and not Grigson really, I'd go 52 with 26 mill guaranteed , the difference I'd have the rest based in incentives earned

I hear the term consistent all the time with CBs, but really is any CB all that consistent (ok, maybe Revis and Sherman).  They all get beat, they all look bad at times.  Are we being too critical with Davis because he's OUR guy (we tend to do that).  I wonder if he was a FA from another team, we'd be clamoring to get him signed for 10 mill. a year.

so you and I are not really far off on what we would be willing to fork out if it was us and not Grigson really, I'd go 52 with 26 mill guaranteed , the difference I'd have the rest based in incentives earned

As has been pointed out, DB's don't sign incentives in contracts other than games played

I hear the term consistent all the time with CBs, but really is any CB all that consistent (ok, maybe Revis and Sherman).  They all get beat, they all look bad at times.  Are we being too critical with Davis because he's OUR guy (we tend to do that).  I wonder if he was a FA from another team, we'd be clamoring to get him signed for 10 mill. a year.

I think that rings fairly true. We see Davis week in and week out and since he's our guy, he's under the microscope. And typically a CB's mistake, when taken advantage of, shows up BIG time. Almost any other position you have other players next to you that can pick up the slack and cover for you. When you're on an island with no/limited safety help (as Davis was often last year), your tiny missteps can turn into big losses.

Overall, he was a very good corner and keeps getting better every year. It'd be a smart investment to lock him up big time, even at $10m a year.

I hear the term consistent all the time with CBs, but really is any CB all that consistent (ok, maybe Revis and Sherman). They all get beat, they all look bad at times. Are we being too critical with Davis because he's OUR guy (we tend to do that). I wonder if he was a FA from another team, we'd be clamoring to get him signed for 10 mill. a year.

This. He's arguably the best cb we've ever had, he's young, and he still has room to grow. We should snap him up for around 10 mil per and be happy about it.

I think that rings fairly true. We see Davis week in and week out and since he's our guy, he's under the microscope. And typically a CB's mistake, when taken advantage of, shows up BIG time. Almost any other position you have other players next to you that can pick up the slack and cover for you. When you're on an island with no/limited safety help (as Davis was often last year), your tiny missteps can turn into big losses.

Overall, he was a very good corner and keeps getting better every year. It'd be a smart investment to lock him up big time, even at $10m a year.

I think that's it.  We see our players every week, and I'm guessing for most of us, a bad play stands out more than a good play (at least it does with me).  That's probably why we are so hard on our own players (and coaches).

This is driving me nuts. We need to get this done. I thought we would have heard something by now. I've been checking every few minutes since 5 am.

Me too. It's already mid-afternoon though. I think he's headed to FA after all.

More rumors...

49ers interested in Caroll...Broncos and Jets interested in Verner....Steelers in Carroll or Munnerlyn.  Actually, 10 teams interested in Carroll...

Still no chatter about other teams being interested in Vontae

Hmmm....what's he really worth?

I hope Grigson doesn't compete with himself over Vontae.

More rumors...

49ers interested in Caroll...Broncos and Jets interested in Verner....Steelers in Carroll or Munnerlyn.  Actually, 10 teams interested in Carroll...

Still no chatter about other teams being interested in Vontae

Hmmm....what's he really worth?

I hope Grigson doesn't compete with himself over Vontae.

The only thing good about competing with ones self over a player is usually you get him.

CB Vontae Davis currently is expected to sign a contract on Tuesday -- but not with the Colts. Not over yet though.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)

March 10, 2014

welp... this is basically saying we didn't get anywhere today. HOPEFULLY we lock him up tomorrow.

Sucks if true and sets us back dramatically IMO. I don't see another available CB on the market that is a good scheme fit for us that would make sense to pay if they don't want to pay Vontae.