Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts near deal with CB Vontae Davis, or not? (Reports) [Merge]

MTC

Well supposedly he waited so he can see the other deals other cornerbacks get paid. Which in my opinion looks like he is looking for more money. I'd rather have a player for championships. So we have enough money for everyone else.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, after being reported that the two sides were close, another team came in with a last-minute, high-ball offer that made the agent re-examine the deal.

Naa... La Conta just got some info the other two guys didn't get. IMO . Davis will be on the dotted line tomorrow

Getting Davis done will allow us to focus on the front 7 in the draft, with the exception of bringing in a FS as well. We could upgrade our pass rush after the Davis deal though.

Yeah, if we could get Ward or Whitner in FA, along with a center, then we can go DL in the second and WR in the 3rd. I think that would just about cover all of our major holes and we can go BPA in the later rounds.

Pro-bowl is a joke. This is irrelevant.

This literally means nothing. He's not a WR. He's left on an island 90% of the time and 90% of the time he shut's his guy down. That's all that matters.

No he doesn't. He had two-three bad games all season long.

Yes he is. As consistent as possible. Gave up 560 yards all season. Half of that coming in a bad two game stretch.

And didn't he have nagging injuries that he played through in those bad games too

Davis isn't inconsistent. He has had far more good games than bad games as a Colt. The league is way too offense friendly for a CB to be able to shut WR's out every week. Davis has performed like a top 10 corner and he will be paid like one. He's a legitimate #1 CB in this league and would be a major hole on our defense if he wasn't a Colt next year.

If the cap is going to keep going up 5-10M/year in the next 2-3 years, you better sign your top 10 CB to 10M/year now, before they start asking for 12+M/year. Contracts are only going up n up. Davis is a very good CB, pay the man, or next year we'll be giving 10M to someone who is worse.

My guess is if we sign him the forum will complain we over paid for him and scream at Grigson for doing a bad deal or we won't sign him and the forum will complain we let him walk and scream at Grigson for letting him walk. A true no win spot for Grigson at least with the fanbase.

@Colts_Comments: Top 2014 avg. CB salaries:

Revis-$16,000,000

B.Carr-$10,020,000

L.Hall -$9,750,000

J.Joseph-$9,750,000

L.Webb-$8,333,333

T.Williams-$8,250,000

B.Flowers-$8,225,000

Joe Haden-$8,011,348

Brent Grimes-$8,006,250

And I believe you'll be able to add Shields to that list depending on how recent it is and Shields' cap hit in 2014, should be around 9.75, depending on how it's structured. And I would put Davis everyone on that list except Grimes, Haden, Flowers and Revis then factoring in his age Davis is worth 9-10 million a season.

I'm still confident a deal will get done and Davis is just hearing what every team has to say to him now and will use that as leverage but Grigs knows how important he is to our team.  

I wasn't serious.....Tyrone Poole trying to tackle a WR often reminded me of a poodle at the ankles of a mail man.

I remember watching some of the angles Mike Doss would take to try and make a tackle and wonder how many geometry teachers were just weeping on their couches.