Colts near deal with CB Vontae Davis, or not? (Reports) [Merge]

MTC

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qJL

Cornerback Vontae Davis is indeed close to a new contract. But it may not be with the Colts.

Per a league source, Davis is expected to sign a deal on Tuesday, the first day of free agency. At this point, it likely won’t be the Colts.

The situation is fluid and dynamic and subject to change, as evidenced by the fact that, as of last night, there was a report that Davis was close to re-signing with the Colts.

For now, he’s not. He’s close to signing with someone else. And he could do just that on Tuesday.

I just had a thought regarding where Vontae could end up if not with the Colts....San Franciso......With his brother, They need a Man Corner

I don't think they have the cap space do they. They need to re-sign Whitner and a few others I believe and then Kap wants a mega deal too.

Vontae should have been franchised.

I couldn't agree more. if there was any chance a deal wouldn't be done the Colts should have tagged him. If they were going to let him walk next year it would give them more time to get their ducks in a row.

I don't think they have the cap space do they. They need to re-sign Whitner and a few others I believe and then Kap wants a mega deal too.

They dont currently(They are sitting around roughly $9,788,276.00), Now this sounds strange probably but they could release Gore who is 30 years old (even though he did have a hell of a year...I think any Back would behind that O Line and in Harbaughs offense) and either draft a rb if Lattimore is not ready, or plyg in Hunter, or if Lattimore is healthy play him...and free up 6 mill in cap space according to Over The Cap, Im not really sure Whitner is a must sign, He is good dont get me wrong but I think the 49ers can get his production in the draft

Name me the free agent corners who we can realistically pursue

Browner, Cromartie, Thurmond, Rogers (if he is released) etc. Plenty of options.

2-3 year contract. Then draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd and let him slowly work his way in.

If Davis leaves, so be it. We have other fish to fry.

All I care about is that the defense gets better compared to last year's defense. At the moment, we stand to lose Davis and Bethea. We've picked up D'Qwell Jackson, but overall, we're still in the red.

If we don't sign Davis, then we better make major upgrades at other positions, because without Davis, we will not upgrade the CB position.

Agent leaking info to posture?

Possibly, but he's setting himself up for trouble considering it's against the rules to actually agree to a contract before 4 pm tomorrow. Now we all know they do it, but to publicly state that your client has agreed to sign elsewhere is just informing the comish that you're breaking the rules.

Possibly, but he's setting himself up for trouble considering it's against the rules to actually agree to a contract before 4 pm tomorrow. Now we all know they do it, but to publicly state that your client has agreed to sign elsewhere is just informing the comish that you're breaking the rules.

Meh its against the rules to sign and make it official not to actually agree verbally, Though whos to stop that from happening

Meh its against the rules to sign and make it official not to actually agree verbally, Though whos to stop that from happening

It's still against the rules to agree. The rule states that you can negotiate but can not agree to anything. I know that sounds stupid but it's actually the rule. With that said, we all know they do it behind closed doors, but to come out and announce it or leak that info to somebody is setting themselves up to get busted. The league sent out a memo to teams Friday to remind them not to agree to terms of any kind, so the comish could be looking to make an example of somebody. 

Omg!!  Most of you guys were so glad grigs didnt franchise Vontae...(because 11m is too much to make sure our defense go to hell in a hand basket, which is about to happen if Davis walks!) NOW everyone wants to know Why didnt we franchise Vontae???   Yeah...Its All fun and games til sh^ts about to hit the fan... Grigs plz dont let this happen!!