Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colt's fail to resign Vontae Davis

ProblChld32

If for some odd reason they are unable to strike a long term deal with Vontae and he walks (which i think wont happen, they will get it done). Who would you prefer to see him replaced with and why whether it be through FA or Draft? Ive seen many posts where others like the idea of Vontae being replaced, just curious on everyones else's thoughts. 

I don't want to give big money to a guy who was talking about retiring a month ago.

Except that's not what he said jus what was reported, Thas media for you twisting his words, he said he's on a one year deal so who knows what could happen

"I don't think they think I'm serious ... I'm serious," Rodgers-Cromartie said.

He added: "Coming out of college I gave myself a five-year goal. If I could just make it five years, I would be all right. Coming from a small school and of course playing six, it has been a long journey and I am weighing my options. I am still a young guy and not a Champ Bailey or Peyton Manning who have a legacy of going out on top. I had a goal of five years and I reached that. I will see how I feel after the game."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10360583/super-bowl-dominique-rodgers-cromartie-prepared-retire-denver-broncos-win-super-bowl

Sorry, but his change of heart reeks of his agent.

Not worth the risk.  I want a guy that loves the game and has no doubts that what he wants to do.  See also: Corey Simon.

Sorry, but his change of heart reeks of his agent.

Not worth the risk. I want a guy that loves the game and has no doubts that what he wants to do. See also: Corey Simon.

Verner is the best available but seen he might give the titans a hometown discount and not sure what he's asking

If we cut Toler and Sheppard that pays almost half what it would cost for a good CB

Verner is the best available but seen he might give the titans a hometown discount and not sure what he's asking

If we cut Toler and Sheppard that pays almost half what it would cost for a good CB

according to "espn" Verner isn't giving too much of a hometown discount.  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10549742/alterraun-verner-give-tennessee-titans-hometown-discount

I love being here," Verner told the newspaper. "I love my teammates and I love Tennessee. When it comes to the money, it is not like I need to be paid super high.

"But I am not going to be a fool and take anything that is super small. From a business standpoint, you don't know how long you are going to play in this league, so you have to take advantage when you can."

Davis will be brought back, but if somehow he wasn't, We would probably overpay for one of...

Verner

Talib

Shields

DRC

Or, we could sign two cheaper options like two of Browner, Porter, Greer, Tillman, ETC. Don't worry though, Davis will be back. I'm not worried in the least.

I don't want to give big money to a guy who was talking about retiring a month ago.

I definitely took that into consideration and was going to add a disclaimer by his name but I am at work and was eating lunch at the time so I just copied/pasted your list and rearranged it in the order I would go with.  

As for DRC, I agree with what you're saying so if I were the Colts and was interested in him, I would have a good, long discussion with him about those comments and maybe even look into trying to add an out-clause into the contract in case he decided to retire.

1. Alterraun Verner. 

2. DRC

3. Sam Shields 

4. Captain Munnerlyn

5. Chris Harris

6. Aqib Talib

Talib has baggage. DRC, eh I'm not sold on him. The others I don't know much about. Personally I would rather keep Davis and I said a month ago that resigning him should be priority #1 this off season. Get it done Grigson. He's one of the top free agents in the NFL this year. It's gonna cost but he's worth keeping.

Re-sign Davis, cut Toler, and get Captain Munnerlyn. If we don't re-sign Davis, pay Verner whatever he wants, and still cut Toler and go get Munnerlyn. 

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I seriously think we need a ball-hawking FS. Is there any reason why you couldn't have a CB play FS? Maybe I'm wrong but I think Chris Harris would make a good FS. Just a thought/question/idea

Today i got a notification on my phone that said the Rams were planning on cutting cortland finnegan.. I would love to see him paired with Davis. That dude plays with the largest chip on his shoulder and would bring some much needed fire to our defense. It would also be nice to see him play against Andre Johnson again....

If they fail to lock up Vontae Davis, I really think they need to try and land either Darqueze Dennard in the 1st round, trade for Jimmy Smith from Baltimore, or sign Talib to a lesser deal than Davis would have gotten. A lockdown corner is so vital to this defense.

If they fail to lock up Vontae Davis, I really think they need to try and land either Darqueze Dennard in the 1st round, trade for Jimmy Smith from Baltimore, or sign Talib to a lesser deal than Davis would have gotten. A lockdown corner is so vital to this defense.

1st round? Lock down corners are rare birds. David isn't one and neither is Jimmy Smith or Talib. The loudmouth from Seattle is about as close as it comes this side the neon one....

Talib has baggage. DRC, eh I'm not sold on him. The others I don't know much about. Personally I would rather keep Davis and I said a month ago that resigning him should be priority #1 this off season. Get it done Grigson. He's one of the top free agents in the NFL this year. It's gonna cost but he's worth keeping.

DRC is pretty damn good...

First....   I'm confident they'll re-sign Davis.

Second...   if they didn't I'd lean toward Shields.

Third...    I read a story about 4-6 weeks ago saying Verner would NOT be a good fit for our scheme because he's not a press corner and that what we want.     He's a play off the receiver corner and that's not what we do.

So, while Verner is talented,  he appears not to be the fit we'd like....

Today i got a notification on my phone that said the Rams were planning on cutting cortland finnegan.. I would love to see him paired with Davis. That dude plays with the largest chip on his shoulder and would bring some much needed fire to our defense. It would also be nice to see him play against Andre Johnson again....

Finnegan had a passer rating of a 136 against him from opposing QB's just as an fyi

First....   I'm confident they'll re-sign Davis.

Second...   if they didn't I'd lean toward Shields.

Third...    I read a story about 4-6 weeks ago saying Verner would NOT be a good fit for our scheme because he's not a press corner and that what we want.     He's a play off the receiver corner and that's not what we do.

So, while Verner is talented,  he appears not to be the fit we'd like....

I believe in the article I posted above, it says that he is a zone guy versus a man to man.  once again NCF your spot on

First.... I'm confident they'll re-sign Davis.

Second... if they didn't I'd lean toward Shields.

Third... I read a story about 4-6 weeks ago saying Verner would NOT be a good fit for our scheme because he's not a press corner and that what we want. He's a play off the receiver corner and that's not what we do.

So, while Verner is talented, he appears not to be the fit we'd like....

That's the same I was thinking about Captain Munnerlyn. Is he a fit here? A 4-3 CB (I believe the Panthers run) has different responsibilities compared to a 3-4 CB

That's the same I was thinking about Captain Munnerlyn. Is he a fit here? A 4-3 CB (I believe the Panthers run) has different responsibilities compared to a 3-4 CB

Not necessarily. It depends on the defensive scheme (zone, man, press man, ext..) not the defensive alignment.

Not necessarily. It depends on the defensive scheme (zone, man, press man, ext..) not the defensive alignment.

Well if he can do what Pagano & Manusky asks of him, then I say go for it. Carolina obviously isn't sure about locking him or that Hardy guy up so why not take a look at both of them?