Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts let PattyMac test FA...

Indeee

Last year the Colts placed the franchise tag on him he earned $ 2,977 million  . We needed him then & we need him now ,

The  team should have already worked out a deal some how some way he makes the special teams special .

Seattle won the Superbowl by winning all 3 phases of the game Special teams represents field position Pat Mc Afee is still pretty good offer a couple of million & a pictureof him  on the side of LOS swimming in the Broad Ripple Canal ..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to ask a question to everyone, and would appreciate an honest answer...

These things matter to me, so if I was to choose between a new punter who is every bit as good as McAfee for 1m, or McAfee for 2m in a long-term contract in a year  when we have cap flexibility, I'm going with McAfee.

Will your thoughts remain the same if the spread is more likely $ 500K to 750K to McAfee's likely minimum of $ 3M?

Will your thoughts remain the same if the spread is more likely $ 500K to 750K to McAfee's likely minimum of $ 3M?

Where are you getting $3M out of? Only 3 punters in the NFL make that money and I do not see McAfee joining them.

In that hypothetical situation I would begrudingly say we have to let him go, but that was my point... pure monetary value extends beyond on-field ability to me, but that value has its limits.

Cant argue with that, pretty obvious.But I still remember Polian stating special teams really had no bearing on game outcomes because of such a small percentage of those plays during a game. Let me clarify. That's where I was directing my comment towards, those that say punters make no difference at all whether good or bad. McAfee hasn`t came no where close to what Scifres did in that game but he has made some TD saving tackles and is an above average punter IMO. He also can kick FG`s and is pretty good at it which raises his value. 

Polian never said that about special teams.

I think the Colts organization will let him walk....Unfortunately I think that means were going to waste a pick on a Punter, Ill gladly pay Pat 3 mill per year if we dont throw a pick on a Punter, And no I dont care if its a 7th rounder, Alot of good football players will go undrafted who have a much better chance of making an impact on games consistently then any Punter

This post is a bit confusing.  You think a 7th round pick is worth more than $3 million a year, especially when, according to you, that $3million a year is wasted on a player than does not have a consistent impact on games?

I think the Colts organization will let him walk....Unfortunately I think that means were going to waste a pick on a Punter, Ill gladly pay Pat 3 mill per year if we dont throw a pick on a Punter, And no I dont care if its a 7th rounder, Alot of good football players will go undrafted who have a much better chance of making an impact on games consistently then any Punter

Eh... I don't mind spending a pick on a punter.  Punters make a difference in a game more than most can see.  For Example (please mind just an example).  Opening drive 3 n out, punter pins other team inside the 5.  Team can't get out of hole and we receive excellent field position and score, or defense creates a turnover for a TD.  The rest of the game the other team is behind and the defense plays to its strength. 

That one punt, technically changed the game.  Instead of starting on the 20 they started on the 4.  One kick, one time on the field and he affected the whole game.  Punters are definitely worth and it happens more than you can imagine, just never noticed.

This post is a bit confusing.  You think a 7th round pick is worth more than $3 million a year, especially when, according to you, that $3million a year is wasted on a player than does not have a consistent impact on games?

If it comes down to paying 3 mill for a Punter or drafting a Punter with a late pick Ill just pay that Punter the 3 mill if he is as good as Pat (not that he is perfect cause he certainly isn't but Pat does offer more then just Punting, For a Punter he is a good open field tackler and also said it himself he wanted to get rid of the stigma that all Punters do is kick the ball) rather then draft one and miss out on a skill position, Now obviously that changes if were alot closer against the cap but we can afford 3 mill for 3-4 years (preferably 3 but I bet is wants a long term deal)

If it comes down to paying 3 mill for a Punter or drafting a Punter with a late pick Ill just pay that Punter the 3 mill if he is as good as Pat (not that he is perfect cause he certainly isn't but Pat does offer more then just Punting, For a Punter he is a good open field tackler and...

Not only that, he does a lot with the Colts on their website and he's an entertaining personality the locker room surely loves. Our fan-base also clearly loves him, and he sells jerseys.

i don't think you have to draft one, there are plenty of free agent ones out there. bring a bunch in and one should turn out to be decent. there are only 31 other punters with jobs. that leaves a lot of candidates.

Pat did go out of his way to say he's not looking for money he's just looking for respect and I took the feeling out of that interview he doesn't feel respected by the Colts. 

that's a bunch of horse poop! respect is code for money in professional sports plain and simple. what have the colts done to not respect him that doesn't involve money? has he said what the colts can do to give him respect after he signs for vet minimum? because it's not about the money, right?? i don't have any problem with anyone making as much money as they can, but be honest about it.

i felt the colts should have let him walk last year (i may have been the only one), and i haven't changed my mind.

Either that or pay them lower contracts. Adam and Pat are no where near top 10 in kickers/punters, and yet they're being paid like one. We have more pressing needs than punter, and we can find one undrafted, FA, or 7th round.

Either that or pay them lower contracts. Adam and Pat are no where near top 10 in kickers/punters, and yet they're being paid like one. We have more pressing needs than punter, and we can find one undrafted, FA, or 7th round.

Disagree entirely, on both counts. I'm not necessarily in favor of paying them crazy money, but it's not farfetched to think they are top 10 each.

Disagree entirely, on both counts. I'm not necessarily in favor of paying them crazy money, but it's not farfetched to think they are top 10 each.

Yes, both of them are good. I would even say Adam is HoF. I want to keep Adam, but there are cheaper kickers/punter who are more accurate, and cost less. He ranks 18th in accuracy, and 19th these last three years. There are cheaper kickers/punters out there, or we could re-sign both to cheaper contracts(and I think Pat wants a big one).

Financially, I'd say they shouldn't pay for a punter. They're a dime a dozen, and let's face it, he's no Ray Guy. He's good, but not a game changer.

Personally, I love his attitude and all the off field activities. Ever since his canal incident, he's been a great role model and team representative. Hilarious on twitter too.

I agree....one thing I have to remember is you can't have blind loyalty. My affection for a guy can't blind me from the fact that a couple highlight reel plays aside I would be shocked if he was anything more than avg statistically....THATS including touchbacks on kickoffs...which I could be wrong because it could just be poor recollection but didnt seem to have the same punch as he previously had. Paying franchise money for him in the 3 million range...I don't think I can justify that...when a replacement could be just as good for much less. Honestly....I think letting him test free agency is fine...I don't think he will see a big contract out there...and we bring him back at a respectable price.

I really think we are going to start to get down to the nitty gritty....we are getting close to that SB caliber team...things like paying higher than market value for a punter could cost us a player that might put us over the top...I don't want to see that. Not that a punter isn't incredibly important...but production over replacement I can't imagine would show the value of return.

Where does this $3 million figure keep coming from?  That's like franchise tag/top 3 money ... I don't think he is expecting that. I have read and heard him say (im paraphrasing here) that he is not looking to be the top paid punter in the league, that he is would be fine a little less as long as it's a fair contract.

I think he would sign a contract in the $2 million range .... which puts him easily in top 10 salary wise; and $2.2 million would put him in the top 5.

I would keep PM for $2-$2.2 mil range ... He brings other things to the team outside his punting ability.  Even though it is not his forte he can function as a back-up field goal kicker, he also adds a legitimate last line of defense tackling ability (and willingness to do so), and if we ever did want to go for that last second ~70 yard FG he would give us a slim (admittedly very slim) chance.  I also agree with AntonMcG that he has some value that comes from off the field.

Adam V was paid the 12th most money at his position over his deal and he is easily a top 12 Punter....More like like top 5.......Mcafee was paid the 16th most money at position and he is easily a top 16 Punter http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/active/contract-value/punter/limit-25/

Pat is actually a very average punter. I think we hype him a little bit because of the big hits and off the field personality. Below are his 2013 stats taken from ESPN. I left out Total Punts, Total Yards, and Return Yards because those aren't individual stats (if I did include them he is in the middle on all).

Click on the table to make it bigger (for some reason it is displaying very small)

14wv9sz.jpg

Where does this $3 million figure keep coming from?  That's like franchise tag/top 3 money ... I don't think he is expecting that. I have read and heard him say (im paraphrasing here) that he is not looking to be the top paid punter in the league, that he is would be fine a little less as long as it's a fair contract.

I think he would sign a contract in the $2 million range .... which puts him easily in top 10 salary wise; and $2.2 million would put him in the top 5.

I would keep PM for $2-$2.2 mil range ... He brings other things to the team outside his punting ability.  Even though it is not his forte he can function as a back-up field goal kicker, he also adds a legitimate last line of defense tackling ability (and willingness to do so), and if we ever did want to go for that last second ~70 yard FG he would give us a slim (admittedly very slim) chance.  I also agree with AntonMcG that he has some value that comes from off the field.

I honestly don't know. I felt like we would have signed him to a contract in that range last year or already this year if that was true. My gut tells me that isn't the case. I think he has been pretty avg his entire career...at first out kicking his coverage and having poor directional kicking and then later he hasn't really excelled in any area since. He made a couple hits and he is a very very likable player...but thats it. If he would take what you say...2 million a yr...that is fine...I just don't think that is what he is seeking else it would have been done last year or done already this year. That is why the 3 million number comes in. Just my opinion..no facts.

Mcafee on th radio today (2/28/14) responding to a joke about protecting the horse shoe said "well for a few more days" and when asked who the biggest jerk on the team was (again a joke) said ask me March 12, the day after free agency starts. He doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he is coming back.

you are looking at a list of total money over the life of a contract, not what they are payed last year. did you really think then top punters are payed $20+million dollars?

I heard him too, sure sounds like he plans on entering the marketplace.  Also he said he was fined by the Colts 10,000 for his tweet that featured Luck in the background....said his paycheck was $235 for that week..... 

McAfee clearly thinks he's worth more than he actually is. He couldn't agree to terms last year and it looks to be more of the same this year. Let him go. He's just a punter.

I don't know if that's the case.  From all the interviews I've heard with Pat there have been no contract talks this year because the Colts have not called.  As far as last year goes it sounds like the Colts placed the tag on him and ended it there and didn't look for a long term deal after that so I don't think this is a case of Pat asking for more money than he's worth and probably more of a case of the Colts not being interested in giving him a long term contract at least not right now. 

McAfee clearly thinks he's worth more than he actually is. He couldn't agree to terms last year and it looks to be more of the same this year. Let him go. He's just a punter.

Bingo! Among other things, I agree... I continue to be floored with other posters desire to over pay this guy, based on his "public" persona. I agree he is popular with the fan base, but this has little to do with the overall business Football, team performance and building a winning team-first contender. Patty M's stats are very average not to mention he constantly and selfishly seeks the spotlight, which in my opinion = distraction.

Supporters are constantly posting what a great locker room presence he is and he brings the team together. How do you know outside of what you see in Patty M's posted media (we all know how the media's only goal is to report the facts - Sarcasm)? How many of the fans who post these statements truly have the inside presence and knowledge of what his locker room value is? In my opinion being a guest on his show is not relevant to their locker room or personal "team value" thoughts on the guy; it is simply and opportunity for the players to go on the show for the fans and yes some minimal exposure for themselves.

Take personal feelings out of it (yes he can be entertaining and immature), but remember it's an on the field, production based business that has varying levels of importance by position, not popularity. Patty M. fans constantly amaze me when they post to keep him at way over valued costs to the Colts future cap space versus signing other players (both today and in the future). Yes every team needs a punter, but in the big picture, over the course of a season and throughout NFL history punters are one of the least relevant... Not to mention an eccessive amount of punters out there and available.

I agree he has supporters and local popularity... yes, I feel he can be entertaining, but I also feel he has a HUGE lack of maturity and an "all about me" attitude. (example - While the Luck picture posting was humerous at first, this was and is a stupid, immature and selfish move for Patty M's exposure). I do not believe for one second he didn't know what he was doing. He is a smart, calculating guy and he new exactly what he was doing when he posted it... my feelings are no different with the coach Tomlin "sideline-gate" or anything that has to do with coach Belicheck and his antics over the years... They knew they were crossing the line when they did what they did.

Punters have more value on the lower level performing teams, teams who must punt 5 times (just a #) a quarter for survival versus a few time per game. (example - Peyton Manning era when Snow and Patty M were lucky to punt 1 to 3 times per game...) Patty M's primary value then was on kick-offs and kicking through the end zone, when our special teams tackling was virtually nonexistent. At that time the kick-off was 5 yards deeper, then he kicked it through the end zone or deep consistently, now its 5 yards closer and he rarely, if ever kicks it through the end zone.

There seems to be more of an outcry based on popularity to keep Patty M than there was to keep Peyton? Want to talk about VALUE to the city, team, organization, fans, charities, etc... lets talk Peyton. I realize a total different set of circumstances and relevance... but for example purposes I too felt, with Luck available, having the #1 pick and several other factors made that situation the perfect storm for all and the right thing to do for the future of  team and Peyton.