Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Costanzo: Yay or Nay

1yrdandacloudofdust

Castonzo has improved a lot and i think he's a top 10-15 LT. He's always been one of the best run blocking tackles in the league but his pass blocking is well above average. It doesn't help him having to worry about other DT's because the interior of the o-line is bad. 

There's plenty of teams i could think of that would want Castonzo like the Dolphins, Packers, Giants, Ravens, Steerlers, Cardinals,Chargers, Saints and Raiders. He would be an upgrade over 5 other LT's as well. Castonzo is the future LT of the team we just need to upgrade the interior of the o-line.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony Costanzo is exactly what we drafted him to be, a mid to late 1st round quality pick that isn't a superstar, but does his job very well. Someone mentioned Gabe Carimi (who the Bears drafted) and we definitely dodged a bullet there. We need to sign him to a contract extension in my opinion. Can't believe the question anyway, we are rebuilding right now, we can't afford to release above average players in their mid 20's at this point. We have plenty of salary cap room. A big Yay from me.

I believe that we should stay with Costanzo as a LT. He might not be the superstar, but he is getting better every year. He is above average as of right now. If the colts splash some cash in free agency on the offensive line, then it will only help take pressure off of Costanzo.

Yay. Definitely above avergage, even if not one of the best 10-15 in the league. Id rather have good players all across the line than a great LT.

wait a second....Most teams probably only have one solid every down starter at L OT....if he is not in the top 15...that means he is #16 at best... 32 teams....#16...  Thats exactly average yes?

That is not saying much at this point... NO?

Hate to be negative, but get some talented players on the interior and the Tackles might look a whole lot better.

He is probably middle of the league in pass protection and top 10 run blocker at LT.  Is there someone better? Of course.  Is it a priority upgrade? Heck no.  There are atleast 3 more upgradeable spots on the Oline not to mention ILB, CB, and Dline.  

He is probably middle of the league in pass protection and top 10 run blocker at LT.  Is there someone better? Of course.  Is it a priority upgrade? Heck no.  There are atleast 3 more upgradeable spots on the Oline not to mention ILB, CB, and Dline.  

That was the point I was making, comparing him to the rest of the line only diminishes his value.

I agree, fix the interior and he even looks better.

I always forget that some fans on here expect our linemen to never allow any pressure but for us to beat every offensive line.  I see games where Castonzo will give up two pressures or a sack and people will call for his head.  But if Mathis beats Jake Long twice in a game, that is expected.  

Get real.  Lineman are going to be beat sometimes.  Castonzo is a good left tackle.

I always forget that some fans on here expect our linemen to never allow any pressure but for us to beat every offensive line.  I see games where Castonzo will give up two pressures or a sack and people will call for his head.  But if Mathis beats Jake Long twice in a game, that is expected.  

Get real.  Lineman are going to be beat sometimes.  Castonzo is a good left tackle.

If only Lenny Moore could tell us himself :)

You nailed it! That, and the fact that many here just don't know what they're talking about.

I would say give him just one more year to prove himself. AC

I would say he has already proved himself and will continue to do so. AC has gotten better each yr. and I think that trend will continue, I honestly do not get how some people can't see this. Apparently some only focus on the negative and ignore the other 90% he plays very well.

Cost?

That will be the interesting question when his contract is up for renewal. I think he's one of the better run blocking LT in the league. I think hes still improving a pass blocker. He isn't elite in my opinion but I think hes pretty solid and it will be interesting to see how bad the team  wants to keep him when his contract is up.

wait a second....Most teams probably only have one solid every down starter at L OT....if he is not in the top 15...that means he is #16 at best... 32 teams....#16...  Thats exactly average yes?

1) 45418114.jpg

2) No, a ranking of 16.5 would be average, so technically, 16 would be the bottom of the upper half of the rankings.

I would say he has already proved himself and will continue to do so. AC has gotten better each yr. and I think that trend will continue, I honestly do not get how some people can't see this. Apparently some only focus on the negative and ignore the other 90% he plays very well.

A couple of guys in this thread have absolutely NO clue on what good offensive line play is...you are pitiful.  If AC had not been injured at the end of camp, he may have gotten to the Pro Bowl.

I hope some of you remember Joe Reiz was playing LT In the Buffalo Preseason game and I believe the last on as well.  AC was GASSED the first couple of games due to that injury.  Knee???  I believe it was.  

Lets worry about center and guards fellas...and gals...AC and Cherilus are set there at LT and RT. :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!

Balzer...as you know the bolded is NOT intended for you :)

It even goes further than that.  If, for example, AC is riding the defender back from the LOS and Luck steps up in the pocket, some fans on this board will claim AC just got beat.

He still sucks in pass blocking so apparently people are just ignoring the pass blocking and looking the at the other 50% of his game the run blocking is good but still needs a lot of work in pass blocking if he wants to continue his career in indy.

He still sucks in pass blocking so apparently people are just ignoring the pass blocking and looking the at the other 50% of his game the run blocking is good but still needs a lot of work in pass blocking if he wants to continue his career in indy.

He doesn't suck at pass blocking, he is about average at it; but he excels at run blocking.  With his own off season improvements, and the an improved LG he will look much better in pass protection.  I can't believe with all the other issues that need to be fixed people are fixated on AC.

Anthony Castonzo wasn't all that great in run blocking because most of our runs were on the right side. Most of Donald Brown's large gains were done on that side. He also had way too much pressure on his side. Who knows what's going to happen. I'll rest my case and wait until next season.

Anthony Castonzo wasn't all that great in run blocking because most of our runs were on the right side. Most of Donald Brown's large gains were done on that side. He also had way too much pressure on his side. Who knows what's going to happen. I'll rest my case and wait until next season.

good idea

Cost?

Don't they have to notify Castonzo before 5/3/2014 if they are going to exercise the 5th year option they have on him ? I would think if they like him , his cost will be his scheduled base for 2014 and then the calculated pay for 2015. That would be the average pay of the highest paid  LT's  3-25. So I guess his cost is set for 2014 and 2015 , providing that the Cots like him enough to use the 5th year option. 

Cost?

Exactly. For what I believe he will demand in the market I likely bring him back. It is unlikely he gets top 10 LT money...but he gives us better than avg production. I do however feel he would have been a great RT but Cherius has been supberb so no reason to move him. My opinion....sign him to an insentive laden deal and draft a replacement next year at the top of the draft. We could use some depth at the Tackle position and/or will need a replacement in a year or two likely.

Don't they have to notify Castonzo before 5/3/2014 if they are going to exercise the 5th year option they have on him ? I would think if they like him , his cost will be his scheduled base for 2014 and then the calculated pay for 2015. That would be the average pay of the highest paid  LT's  3-25. So I guess his cost is set for 2014 and 2015 , providing that the Cots like him enough to use the 5th year option. 

I was thinking the question was more along the lines of contract extension, but everything you said is 100% correct, aside from the fact that the top total salaries (not P5) from 2014 may not be completely set yet (and I suppose that 120% of his 2014 salary may be greater than 3-25, but I kinda doubt it).

I was thinking the question was more along the lines of contract extension, but everything you said is 100% correct, aside from the fact that the top total salaries (not P5) from 2014 may not be completely set yet (and I suppose that 120% of his 2014 salary may be greater than 3-25, but I kinda doubt it).

I figured you were thinking about his next contract. I was just pointing out to those that think he's only under contract 1 more year that it probably won't be the case. I have a feeling the Colt's will not extend him and just lock him up for 2015 before the May draft takes place. I think they sing V Davis and bring in some missing pieces with the extra cap money.

He has his moments, but I just don't see it consistently. Is it time to look for his replacement and let him walk after next yr if he's still inconsistent?

To be fair, the coaching staff said that he had a great season all year long, and I think most fans would agree with that assessment. He and Gosder were great on the line this year.