Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman is an embarassment to the NFL

oldunclemark

Lol, you act like that in the real world and you will lose your job. Anyone who thinks that is acceptable behavior has just as many mental issues as Sherman.

I don't think I've ever gotten the chance to disrupt a play and talk to millions of people in front of the camera afterwards in the "real world", so that logic doesn't exactly apply here. And your implication that I have as many mental issues as Sherman is inaccurate. I don't have any at all, nor does anyone who happens to not assume he was a thug because of what he did, and I doubt he has any either.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should he walk away? He's allowed to embarrass players on the field. But he's not allowed to speak about it?

This PC world is growing tiresome. If I ask someone a question. I expect them to tell me the truth, to tell me how they feel, to express to me the emotions they are feeling, and why they feel the way they do....

Thats not happening anymore... Because when people do, threads like this get started on a national level about how someone 'should' talk, or how someone 'should' feel.... Well they dont feel the same way you do, they dont feel they need to speak in the manner you deem appropriate.... Why is that a bad thing? Why is it not okay for a man to say exactly how he feels?

I agree with your point. It's rare to get a genuine reaction out of anyone these days. Everything is coach-speak, cleared through PR, etc. It's refreshing when someone actually speaks their mind.

But it's one thing to express yourself in an authentic manner; it's another entirely -- IMO -- to do whatever the heck Sherman did last night. It was completely over the top and unnecessary. I get that it was likely just a raw, emotional reaction, but it still made him and his teammates look bad. The guy graduated from Stanford with a 3.5 GPA. He is articulate and intelligent. I've read some of the things he's written for MMQB. The fact that people are calling him a thug, and worse, as a response to his antics, illustrates why his antics are a problem. We are all judged -- rightly or otherwise -- based on the things we do. 

Wait until Media Day.. Once the media asks if Sherman can stop Peyton's receivers, Sherman's mouth won't stop... Until the Broncos shut him up at the Super Bowl.. 

I would welcome both happening actually.  Sherman is entertaining imo and that would just add to the hype of the game.  Good stuff.  Any way what else would he say? "No I won't be able to stop them because Peyton is too great."   :funny:   Nevertheless, I doubt he'll take an outright shot at Peyton even if he does talk some trash about the Bronco receivers.

At the end of the day...its simply Peyton's time.  He is not going to be denied his second Lombardi.  Not at this point in his career.  He is looking into the sunset and he needs this to cement his legacy as a Champion.  Doing it against Sherman and the Legion of Boom will just make it more epic.

Sherman should be kicked off the team and give to the Colts as punishment. We will teach him how to be classy while he shuts down opposing recovers for us weekly.

I kind of like that kind of punishment...heck the NFL should create a new policy of punishing superstar players by sending them to the Colts. 

I didn't read through this whole thread so I don't know if you and IndyTrav have "issues" but the your post seems a little on the classless side there bub.  Claiming your the most intelligent and someone else is trash doesn't seem very. . . well intelligent.  Conversely if your comments were dripping with sarcasm, my bad.  Unfortunately, like I always tell my wife, no tone in text.

Regarding Sherman, he's a polarizing player; you either love him or hate him.  I would love for him to have a horseshoe on his helmet.  Yes, eventually all the smack talk will come back to haunt him but as of now his play backs up his attitude, especially considering he literally saved the game for the Seahawks.  To the people who are attacking his intellect, you can't be serious?!? He went to Stanford and graduated.  I don't care what his degree is in, he graduated from Stanford!!!!!  

As far as his antics and "bush league" taunts, he's gonna pay for them, literally.  He will get fined very heavily.  As for the people saying something about his character.  His character played a big part in him chastising his own fans for dumping popcorn on Bowman.  Send prayers for him(Bowman) and sending him tweets/messages.  

EVERY Colts fan would love to have a guy of his talent on our team.  You are lying if you say you wouldn't

I fear you completely missed the point I was making (or trying to make). I have no issues at all with Indytrav. Just trying to paint another 'picture' and understand if 'Trav' would be consistent with his reaction.

Sherman has caused me to change my mind.  In a previous post I called his play at the end of the game outstanding.  After having listened to his post-game interviews several times today calling Crabtree mediocre, apparently the play on the ball he made was just so-so.  If he was defending a very good or great receiver then the play would have been "outstanding", I stand corrected.

I am the most intelligent poster on here. Your posts are trash. But what do you expect reading anything from you? I suggest all posters put you on ignore....[and finish with a little image of someone hanging....]

Now Mods, take a breath.......

Indytrav, if I posted this out the blue, on any selection of your posts, how would you react?

1. Get all fiery, and blast me back, and call me some unkind things. (probably)

2. Ignore me. (unlikely).

3. Say, "very well said BHC, we need this kind of response on here, it shows you have what it takes to be a fabulous poster, and I think your are great for this Forum. I, for one, am very pleased you took a shot at me". (not a chance).

I am honestly lost at what you are trying to say. 

Clarify? I'm happy to respond, and we can hash it out. 

As for the options, I'd probably choose #4. Which would be to chuckle to myself and say something along the lines of "oooook" and move on. 

I agree with your point. It's rare to get a genuine reaction out of anyone these days. Everything is coach-speak, cleared through PR, etc. It's refreshing when someone actually speaks their mind.

But it's one thing to express yourself in an authentic manner; it's another entirely -- IMO -- to do whatever the heck Sherman did last night. It was completely over the top and unnecessary. I get that it was likely just a raw, emotional reaction, but it still made him and his teammates look bad. The guy graduated from Stanford with a 3.5 GPA. He is articulate and intelligent. I've read some of the things he's written for MMQB. The fact that people are calling him a thug, and worse, as a response to his antics, illustrates why his antics are a problem. We are all judged -- rightly or otherwise -- based on the things we do. 

I dont understand how the bolded is anything but contradictory. 

I dont understand how a man, directly after the biggest play of his life, has a 15 second sound bite and suddenly people feel they have a good grasp on him as a person, or any other athlete for that matter, and can absolutley judge them as 'good' 'bad' 'classless' etc.....Societies problem with hero worship is growing more and more by the minute...We as fans see brief flashes of these individuals from ages 21-35 often in a controlled setting, many of whom are coached on what to say, and we somehow feel that we know enough about them to judge them. I consider that ignorance. 

If Sherman was on our team and made that same exact play against the Patriots to send us to the Super Bowl fans would be jumping up and down loving him.

Sherman is just one of those players you love if he is on your team and hate him if he is not.

To call him an embarrassment to the NFL is such hyperbole especially considering some of the murderers, rapist, and druggies that have come and gone in the NFL, but hey a guy who trash talks is a embarrassment.

The funny thing is, here in Indianapolis we DO have Richard Sherman. Only he's known as Lance Stephenson.

Who has also made a 'choke' sign (at the best player in the world). And after every crazy pass, layup, and 3pt shot dances on the court, and shows up the opponent.....

And Indianapolis LOVES him. 

I dont understand how the bolded is anything but contradictory.

I've seen tons of genuine postgame interviews, some kind of bizarre, that didn't rise to the level of craziness that Sherman's did. You can be authentic without flying off the handle.

I agree with you about the hero worship and overly sensitive nature of most of these reactions. But when a player goes too far, falling back on the authentic angle isn't enough. If Sherman doesn't want to be viewed as an egomaniacal madman, he shouldn't represent himself as one. I'm not saying that's what he is, but that's the way he came across.

How hilarious would it be if Peyton said this after the game:

"YEAH WELL I'M THE BEST QUARTERBACK OF ALL-TIME AND WHEN YOU PUT A TRASH CORNER LIKE RICHARD SHERMAN OUT THERE TO DEFEND MY PASSES THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET! OMAHA!"

lmao

I love the "Omaha" touch . . . good one Dustin . . .

The funny thing is, here in Indianapolis we DO have Richard Sherman. Only he's known as Lance Stephenson.

Who has also made a 'choke' sign (at the best player in the world). And after every crazy pass, layup, and 3pt shot dances on the court, and shows up the opponent.....

Do not forget we idolize Reggie Miller who was just as bad of a trash talker as Sherman. Hearing people here in Indianapolis who love Reggie and Lance make Sherman out to be this horrible person is so laughable.

The over sensitive reaction to this has been crazy. You would have thought he killed a puppy on national TV.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - offensive/inappropriate
Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - offensive/inappropriate

Why is it not okay for a man to say exactly how he feels?

It's perfectly okay.

Its also okay for Forum members to love and admire him for it....OR....to express the hope that he gets fined, suspended or electrocuted in the balls.

Honestly....what's the problem?

We found his tirade - irritating, obnoxious and in very poor taste.  

However, he has the right to show how low class and childish he is to the world, the NFL and to his own management.  I don't know what (if any) rules the NFL has about such incidents, but if they do I'd like to see them enforce it.  I just don't want to have to listen to that kind of drivel on a weekly basis.  If it occured weekly it's quite possible I would grow tired of it and watch less football.  

I also have the right (and will exercise that right) to turn off any program that features him being interviewed because I simply don't care what he has to say.  

When a player mouths off publicly like that he makes it more difficult for his teammates.  I would imagine that his coaches will have something to say to him during these next couple weeks.  Retribution happens and other teams get fired up over much less bulletin board material.  Add to that that the men that make up the league pretty much police themselves, they don't need my help.

Lance Stephenson is a peasant compared to many of his peers. He is not the best at what he does. Richard Sherman is a peasant to no one. He is truly the best. That's why Sherman can do and talk like he wants, because he always backs it up. 

As for the options, I'd probably choose #4. Which would be to chuckle to myself and say something along the lines of "oooook" and move on.

Ive also no idea. Meh. Time to move on! I was having a bad day I think...

Richard Sherman is a very hardworking, humble guy who uses perceived, self promoted slights to motivate him everytime he steps on the field. Big deal. Nothing wrong with it. Shannon Sharpe made a HOF career out of smack talk & backing it up. How is that any different than Mr. Sherman? 

You cannot have an entire locker room filled with saints & choir boys. Not every guy gets his blood pumping through prayer & joining hands in a circle. I'm not wired that way & just because my motivation process is different it doesn't make me or Richard a evil thug okay. 

Perhaps, it wasn't the most professional the taunting symbol display, but come on, don't crucify a guy who has came as far as Sherman has in life. He's a passionate guy that I would love to go to battle with. 

Please don't twist 1 bad gesture into character assassination please. Not every warrior wants to be a role model or needs to be for that matter. Richard is a very smart, well spoken individual. I respect him. 

Love him now. He is hilarious. I love people who just say what the heck they want and back it up. Yes Yes Yes. Refreshing to see a guy like this in such a pc tippy toe around the country environment where everyone tries so hard not to offend one another. Sheesh......I have been told I have a big mouth too before and so be it. :)

I also loved when he told off Skip.......atta boy.

The "be classy" crowd won't like it but then again this is sports....it's entertainment. They won't all open doors for old ladies and put on squeaky clean images to please our mothers.

Look, people are entitled to view Richard Sherman's recent Hawks/49ers game performance anyway they so desire. But, as 1 of my favorite comedians Bill Maher would say "There seems to be a lot of fake outrage about this incident" on this topic.

Where there is smoke; there isn't always fire...More like dry ice.  JMO. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - quote removed post
Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - quote removed post

It's perfectly okay.

Its also okay for Forum members to love and admire him for it....OR....to express the hope that he gets fined, suspended or electrocuted in the balls.

Remind me never to upset you Pac56. At least warn me when I am about to step on your last nerve okay? Thanks. I appreciate that more than you know.   haha

I wonder if he will trash talk to Peyton during the Super Bowl game. "Hey Peyton.......PEYTON.......PEYTON IS IT PICK SIX TIME YET BRO. LOB HAS A GAME TO WIN YO."

j/k....... :peek:

Actually Jules, if Richard respects a player & that player respects him back, Sherman tends to hold his alter ego persona in check. Because Manning & Sherman mutually respect 1 another that won't happen at the SB.

It's only when you dismiss his skill set directly that his pitbull mentality emerges full throttle.  

After having read through all of these posts *gasp* I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that Sherman ran up to Crabtree, patted him on the backside, and even offered to shake his hand. Was he mocking Crabtree? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure Crabtree pushed/punched Sherman in the face after offering his hand. How in the world is Sherman the bad guy? Words cause ZERO harm, and I would bet Crabtree was jawing just as much, but yet Crabtree throws a punch to Shermans face.

I didn't see anything wrong with what Sherman did or said. Since when is it wrong to voice your opinion? And to call it fake or "putting on a show"? What the hell do you call the same lame interviews week in and out from a player or coach that are practically scipted? I'll take Shermans interview over some pre-screened "oops I better watch what I say or I might offend someone" nonsense interview.

I also laugh and shake my head at the people who are looking at these guys as role models and then want to judge someone's character. Unbelievable, but hey, to each their own...

Reggie Miller was one of the biggest trash talkers in the NBA and us Pacer fans glorified the guy for what he did, but yet Sherman does it and he's a/an "insert expletive".

The NBA and NFL need more Millers/Shermans. I'm glad to see Lance Stephenson stepping into that role.

Actually Jules, if Richard respects a player & that player respects him back, Sherman tends to hold his alter ego persona in check. Because Manning & Sherman mutually respect 1 another that won't happen at the SB.

It's only when you dismiss his skill set directly that his pitbull mentality emerges full throttle.  

Well said.

Richard Sherman only react to players who provoke him. People tend to miss out all the provocation that goes with it. 

Peyton wont say anything to Sherman. So Sherman wont trash talk. Like i said earlier, this is not a personality contest. This is football. He is paid to play the game and he does it well and thats all matter. Below is the answer to Jules question.

And the Stanford grad actually took the opposite approach during his postgame interview on Sunday when he was asked about the Denver Broncos and Peyton Manning.

"You try to get in Peyton's head," Sherman said, "you'll get lost."

I don't think he's an embarrassment at all. Guy is one of my favorite players.

He reminds me of a younger, better version of Cortland Finnegan. On the outside you can see that he's a loudmouth jerk who loves to antagonise other players when there is no need but if you see Finnegan's E60 you'd find out he's actually quite a nice guy. Same thing applies to Sherman. Sure he may have people who hate him because of his playing style but he uses that as motivation to make him better, I do the exact same thing when i play sports so i know where he's coming from with it.

Plus on a whole a majority of controversial things he says he can back up with his performance which imo makes it alright for him saying it.

Imo I think Sherman should keep his attitude as long as he can still perform to a high standard which he probably will for the next 7/8 years.

Remind me never to upset you Pac56. At least warn me when I am about to step on your last nerve okay? Thanks. I appreciate that more than you know. haha

Hahaha....that was strictly for illustration purposes only SW. I wouldn't wish that suffering on anyone. Of course some folks out here in lala land probably consider it pleasure.

Anyway...it seems like Sherman has stolen the pre-Super Bowl hype for a few days.

He is T.O. 2.0 and its driving folks a little crazy. The media is predictably milking it for all it's worth.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - inappropriate
Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - inappropriate

It's perfectly okay.

You can not like it, thats fine. Thats 100% acceptable. If you dont want a 'loud mouth' on your team, I get that, but I personally disagree.

My soapbox is the 'classless' 'he should be suspended' and 'the children!' and 'nfl embarressment' outrage. About a player who most had probably never heard of, and suddenly after 15seconds they are willing to make him the latest scapegoat. 

Suddenly some uppity parents are going "Well now what do I tell my kid, thats not acceptable, what happens when my son/daughter act like this in a peewee game!?!?"......And yet many of these same people posted in the "Peyton wants a BudLight" thread, thinking its funny, and 'classic Peyton'......Why are parents supposedly concerned about Shermans actions, yet Peyton just told every little kid out there, that after a big game you drink alcohol? Double standard perhaps? A tinge of racism? Ignorance?

Coming out and saying you dont agree with how he handled himself, while I disagree, is 100% acceptable. its the accusations, the judgment, and fake moral outrage that gets my jib. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2014 - quoting removed post

You can not like it, thats fine. Thats 100% acceptable. If you dont want a 'loud mouth' on your team, I get that, but I personally disagree.

My soapbox is the 'classless' 'he should be suspended' and 'the children!' and 'nfl embarressment' outrage. About a player who most had probably never heard of, and suddenly after 15seconds they are willing to make him the latest scapegoat.

Suddenly some uppity parents are going "Well now what do I tell my kid, thats not acceptable, what happens when my son/daughter act like this in a peewee game!?!?"......And yet many of these same people posted in the "Peyton wants a BudLight" thread, thinking its funny, and 'classic Peyton'......Why are parents supposedly concerned about Shermans actions, yet Peyton just told every little kid out there, that after a big game you drink alcohol? Double standard perhaps? A tinge of racism? Ignorance?

Coming out and saying you dont agree with how he handled himself, while I disagree, is 100% acceptable. its the accusations, the judgment, and fake moral outrage that gets my jib.

Fair enough...they're human beings as prone to screwing up or shooting their mouths off as the rest of us....an illustration parents probably should make if they choose to allow athletes that much influence on their kids.

Personally I don't know em'....I don't want to know em' and they likely prefer not to know me.

I just wanna buy the ticket or the channel and watch them play the damn game.

The more people complain about Sherman's actions, the more I like the dude. Good God, I wish he was on the Colts, he is simply the best corner in the league IMO and I would take him everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's over Revis or any other name anybody wants to throw out. I can't believe that so many are calling him racist names and thugish, I don't think he's thugish at all(and this is coming from an old school 42 yr. old white guy from the rural midwest). Sherman is quite intelligent and is going back to Stanford to get his masters degree(don't sound real stupid to me). Some also apparently missed the story of how Crabtree tried to start a fight with Sherman at a fancy black tie event last summer. Real classy behavior on Crabtree's part...ehh! So like I said before, give me 2 or 3 Richard Sherman's on the Colts and I would be ecstatic.

How hilarious would it be if Peyton said this after the game:

"YEAH WELL I'M THE BEST QUARTERBACK OF ALL-TIME AND WHEN YOU PUT A TRASH CORNER LIKE RICHARD SHERMAN OUT THERE TO DEFEND MY PASSES THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET! OMAHA!"

lmao

This needs to happen.

DT needs to put up the choke symbol when he gets a touchdown. Sherman will be humbled come Super Bowl sunday.

"His arm, however, is another story. His passes will be accurate and on time, but he throws ducks." Can't wait to watch those "ducks" beautifully go over the top of Sherman.

I surprised but not upset by what he said and the way he said it.  After all this is the NFL and not WWE where people LOVE this sort of thing.

If this continued and spread in the NFL I'd lose interest in it the game.

As far as judging sherman.........I have no interest in that. He lives with the fallout and that's enough for me

It is interesting to me though how vehement and violent people on both sides of this thing have gotten

But, this is the internet........where people love to hate

That said, I've removed a few posts here because they were in violation of our site rules.

I have no idea. Based on my experience playing football at the HS level i'd assume he was talking trash to him.

I'm the damn Kicker/Punter and I still hear trash talk so i believe that there is some at the cb/wr position at the NFL level. 

key word: assume

Stop assuming Crabtree did whatever would make what Sherman did justifiable.   You have to look at the real facts and not what you think could have happened.  The facts are: Sherman shutdown Crabtree.  Then, after the game is put away, Sherman chased crabtree down while he was leaving the field, got in his face, and patted him on the butt with a smug grin on his face.  Crabtree pushed him back with a hand to the facemask, and kept walking.  Sherman then went WWF style and screamed that he was the best.  He even said he was acting that way due to a prior altercation at Larry Fitzgerald's off season camp (not due to crabtree talking on the field like you stated over and over had to have happened because it happened to you when you were punting and kicking in high school).  Sherman has even apologized for how he acted...

In case you don't understand:  

apologize

1. To make excuse for or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense.

So Sherman has acknowledged a regretful offense but you STILL want to say it was Crabtree's fault...  

I didn't read through this whole thread so I don't know if you and IndyTrav have "issues" but the your post seems a little on the classless side there bub.  Claiming your the most intelligent and someone else is trash doesn't seem very. . . well intelligent.  Conversely if your comments were dripping with sarcasm, my bad.  Unfortunately, like I always tell my wife, no tone in text.

Regarding Sherman, he's a polarizing player; you either love him or hate him.  I would love for him to have a horseshoe on his helmet.  Yes, eventually all the smack talk will come back to haunt him but as of now his play backs up his attitude, especially considering he literally saved the game for the Seahawks.  To the people who are attacking his intellect, you can't be serious?!? He went to Stanford and graduated.  I don't care what his degree is in, he graduated from Stanford!!!!!  

As far as his antics and "bush league" taunts, he's gonna pay for them, literally.  He will get fined very heavily.  As for the people saying something about his character.  His character played a big part in him chastising his own fans for dumping popcorn on Bowman.  Send prayers for him(Bowman) and sending him tweets/messages.  

EVERY Colts fan would love to have a guy of his talent on our team.  You are lying if you say you wouldn't 

You guys really didn't get what he was doing??  He said basically the same things Sherman said but he changed it up as if he was saying them as a poster.  Reading comprehension is a valued skill guys...    :facepalm:

You guys really didn't get what he was doing??  He said basically the same things Sherman said but he changed it up as if he was saying them as a poster.  Reading comprehension is a valued skill guys...    :facepalm:

Ah, thanks Kyle. That indeed was what I was doing. You are a good man. It wasn't the brightest of analogies though....

key word: assume

Stop assuming Crabtree did whatever would make what Sherman did justifiable. You have to look at the real facts and not what you think could have happened. The facts are: Sherman shutdown Crabtree. Then, after the game is put away, Sherman chased crabtree down while he was leaving the field, got in his face, and patted him on the butt with a smug grin on his face. Crabtree pushed him back with a hand to the facemask, and kept walking. Sherman then went WWF style and screamed that he was the best. He even said he was acting that way due to a prior altercation at Larry Fitzgerald's off season camp (not due to crabtree talking on the field like you stated over and over had to have happened because it happened to you when you were punting and kicking in high school). Sherman has even apologized for how he acted...

In case you don't understand:

apologize

• To make excuse for or regretful acknowledgment of a fault or offense.

So Sherman has acknowledged a regretful offense but you STILL want to say it was Crabtree's fault...

The guy asked me what they were talking about so I gave him my Best answer.

I think I'd be more correct in thinking crabtree was jawing at Sherman then to think he was complementing his coverage skills.

Also post game Sherman said crabtree was in his face talking smack and refused his handshake with a punch to the helmet. Pretty disrespectful on crabs part.