Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

biggest needs on front seven

OLD FAN MAN

Well we are going to have to do something at one MLB spot.  With Angerer and Conner probably both leaving you are going to have to add at least one MLB there.  While I like some of other MLB options as depth guys I don't like them as starters other than Freeman of course.  So I would expect us to look for a MLB either early in the draft or free agency.  

At OLB I think the Colts are pretty set between Mathis, Werner, and Walden as the big minutes guys.  Mathis is clearly the best player on the defense and might be the best player on the team right now.  Walden did alright for the role he was brought here to do and I don't see Grigson giving up on him after one season.  You have to give Werner a real chance to show what he can do and hopefully get better, if you sign another starting OLB you aren't really giving him that chance. 

Up front I still think we need a monster DT.  I know people here are high on Chapman but I still see him more as a number two DT right now so I think we need to look there.  I wouldn't mind spending big money to fix this position as I think a solid MLB and a good DT and our stopping the run issues go away.  There is a chance the Ravens cut Ngata due to his cap hit.  Given his success in the defense that the Colts run and his past time with Pagano I think he would make a logical choice to go after.  Add to that you have Chapman behind him who can get better that might be a good vet/young guy combo. 

At the ends I would like to see us find a pass rushing DE and yes those do exist n a 3/4 defense.  This would be good to take some pressure off of Mathis to be our only pass rusher and this guy could probably be the future replacement for Redding as I don't expect Redding to be back after this coming season.  Another run stopper at DE might be welcomed as well. 

sign Randy Starks DT inside pass rusher   

sign Donald butler LB pretty good

sign Jairus Byrd FS INT Machine

sign James Jones WR Solid hands 

sign Alex Mack C nice blocker 

sign Brian Orapko good pass rusher on the other side of mathis walden could be depth and werner could learn from both 

sign Norv Turner Offensive Coordinator 

sign Brian Orapko good pass rusher on the other side of mathis walden could be depth and werner could learn from both 

Do you play Madden by any chance?

Hhahahahahahaahahaha........ Bwahahahahahahaha

1. another ILB to complement Freeman is a no-brainer IMO (maybe Dansby or Butler via free agency or we get one in the draft).. McNary and maybe Hickman for depth

2. DL ...we need some TALENT on our D-Line! Arthur Jones would be a nice option, but only if the price is right... hopefully Chapman and especially Montori Hughes will improve.

OLB I´m not so sure... Mathis, Werner and Walden will be here, we invested a 7th rounder in Cam Johnson, so I can see us bringing him back (is he a FA?) ... Adongo will get a chance.

You do realize that there is a salary cap, there are other teams in the NFL and that Pep is not going to leave right?

MLB and a DE that can get fairly consistent penetration.

We need 2 DE's, 1OLB, 1ILB, 1 CB and 2 safeties. I factored in age when making my assessment. Elite needs are a DE, OLB/ILB and CB. Backups and a few project/develop players for other needs

We don't need that much.

Need an ILB, a DE, and a NT.

Well we are going to have to do something at one MLB spot.  With Angerer and Conner probably both leaving you are going to have to add at least one MLB there.  While I like some of other MLB options as depth guys I don't like them as starters other than Freeman of course.  So I would expect us to look for a MLB either early in the draft or free agency.  

At OLB I think the Colts are pretty set between Mathis, Werner, and Walden as the big minutes guys.  Mathis is clearly the best player on the defense and might be the best player on the team right now.  Walden did alright for the role he was brought here to do and I don't see Grigson giving up on him after one season.  You have to give Werner a real chance to show what he can do and hopefully get better, if you sign another starting OLB you aren't really giving him that chance. 

Up front I still think we need a monster DT.  I know people here are high on Chapman but I still see him more as a number two DT right now so I think we need to look there.  I wouldn't mind spending big money to fix this position as I think a solid MLB and a good DT and our stopping the run issues go away.  There is a chance the Ravens cut Ngata due to his cap hit.  Given his success in the defense that the Colts run and his past time with Pagano I think he would make a logical choice to go after.  Add to that you have Chapman behind him who can get better that might be a good vet/young guy combo. 

At the ends I would like to see us find a pass rushing DE and yes those do exist n a 3/4 defense.  This would be good to take some pressure off of Mathis to be our only pass rusher and this guy could probably be the future replacement for Redding as I don't expect Redding to be back after this coming season.  Another run stopper at DE might be welcomed as well. 

but hasnt ngata been playing DE for like 4 years now?

What on earth would we do with the 15 cents we would have left????

Is there any players similiar to Patrick Willis or Navarro Bowman in this draft. Man watching those linebackers play it would be nice to have one that can play like them on our defense

If there are any, they would go in the first round. I think Mosley is the best MLB in the draft, but he will be a top 20 pick. I think we should look to FA for a MLB, and get a safety through the draft.

Norv Turner would end up being a GREAT move!!!

Uuuummmmm.... THIS!

I'm still in the school of thought that we should bring in Brandon Spikes from NE.

Dude is a monster against the run.

Unfortunately he can't cover my lil sister. There is a reason Belichick moved up in the draft for Dont'a Hightower.

Please stop the call for Delano Howell to be a starter.  He's not anywhere near as good as Bethea.

Anyway, I think Montori Hughes may show some things in 2014.  I liked some of the things I saw from him

in his limited amount of playing time.  I think it's time to start looking for a replacement for Redding at some

point so I wouldn't be shocked if we picked someone up in free agency or the draft. I'd like it

to be somebody with a J.J. Watt type of motor and tenacity. As far as depth is concerned I think Jeris Pendleton

is a keeper, besides him I think we need some fresh talent because Moala and Matthews need a pink slip!

We may also need to get a little better upgrade than Aubrayo Franklin.  I thought he was okay, but we could

use a little bit more of a beast out of that spot to go along with Chapman. As far as ILB is concerned I still maintain that Mcnary has the skills to fill that spot.  I believe with a full off season he will be more improved than he already is. As I got to see him play a little bit more I do think he does need to get a bit better at shedding blockers, but I think he can make the leap.  I think he is a more than capable pass defender.   I am however not opposed to bringing in some free agent talent to provide solid competition. 

I think we are set at OLB for the most part with Mathis, Werner, Walden, but I'm really curious to see what kind of impact Adongo is going to make in his second year in the defense. Wondering if he can push for some playing time in some capacity other than playing special teams.  Also with Mathis getting up in age I think we do bring in another pass rusher.

This topic was only about the front seven, but I wouldn't cry at all if we brought in another corner who is superior to Greg Toler.  I just wasn't all that impressed with him even when he was healthy.  I also will be interested to see who we wil pick up as a replacement or replacements for Vaughn and Gordy.  I think Vaughn is definitely gone, but I wouldn't be shocked if Gordy stayed.  He was ok for the most part......

Thinking McNary has a decent shot at that #2 MLB spot, he graded positive in all facets of the game.

We really need a stuffer at the nose-tackle spot, whether that's Chapman emerging, or a stop-gap solution this FA...which I do not foresee happening.

RJF and Redding were solid but unspectacular so maybe a Tyson Jackson can help fill a rotational void there.

Essentially we just need our young guys to step up in years 2 and 3. That's Hughes/Chapman/Werner/McNary.

Thinking McNary has a decent shot at that #2 MLB spot, he graded positive in all facets of the game.

We really need a stuffer at the nose-tackle spot, whether that's Chapman emerging, or a stop-gap solution this FA...which I do not foresee happening.

RJF and Redding were solid but unspectacular so maybe a Tyson Jackson can help fill a rotational void there.

Essentially we just need our young guys to step up in years 2 and 3. That's Hughes/Chapman/Werner/McNary.

stay away from Tyson jackson

which of the positions on the front seven need upgraded? how is the best way to do it?

We need better players, but where the heck do we get them?

Montori is probably a bust, Werner is just average, Dongo can't play, DBs can all be burned....geez, where do you start with any definite keepers - Chapman, Mathis, Freeman, Davis, Butler(maybe).

We all love our Colts players but the D does not have a lot of talent, we have a biased view.

We need better players, but where the heck do we get them?

Montori is probably a bust, Werner is just average, Dongo can't play, DBs can all be burned....geez, where do you start with any definite keepers - Chapman, Mathis, Freeman, Davis, Butler(maybe).

We all love our Colts players but the D does not have a lot of talent, we have a biased view.

got to give the young guys time