Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck on a leash.

Hoosierdome93

Every week the coaching staff " Sticks to the process" and start every single game by trying to establish the running game. Its so predictable. Only when we fall behind do they give Luck some leash and we score points. Give him some control early. Be aggressive and let him do what he does. Mix it up a little.

You guys are right. Not so much running plays this game, but a lot of poor play calling early.

I was writing a paper so wasn't paying a massive amount of attention, but I don't recall actually thinking the playcalling was bad this game. There wasn't some massive amount of running going on. I remember there being by the second quarter only like 7 runs. 

First drive, 3 and 3 and we throw it deep - incomplete. (and don't forget the time out just prior to that wonderful play) then we punted.

Second drive, 3 & 9 we throw a screen pass for 2 yards. The same exact play that they ran earlier in the series when DB fell down. Then we punted.

How many punts in a row did we have, four I think?

I'd like to think that the logic of the first two series came from the coaches, because if Luck is making that bad of decisions, then we are really in trouble. (coaches can be fired, but finding a franchise quarterback and providing an environment for him to flourish is not so simple.)

If Luck is on a leash it's because his WRs haven't been getting open.  The Colts came out with a game plan to throw the ball around the yard against the Titans.  How did that work? They struggled on offense all game till the very end of the game when they ran it. 

Honestly Luck has been throwing the ball an average of 35 passes a game to this point.  Last year he threw it an average of 39.  Those four fewer pass attempts a game are not a big deal. 

Today alone he threw it 46 times vs. 12 rush attempts (2 of which were his).  He's hardly leashed. 

The idea we come out running is false as well.  Here are first quarter drives.

Drive one:

Pass play that Luck scrambled on because no one was open.

a Run

An Incomplete pass three and out.

Drive two:

Pass for 8 yards

Incomplete pass but PI for a first down

Incomplete pass

Incomplete pass

Incomplete pass

Drive three

Run for no gain

Run for two yards

Incomplete pass

Drive four (finished in the second quarter)

Run for three yards

Pass for 13 yards

Run for no gain

Pass for 7 yards

Incomplete pass

So on 16 plays five called run plays and one scramble on a called passing play.  That's hardly coming out and trying to establishing the run especially when there was one called run play in the first two drives.  That's barely keeping them honest with the run. 

So everyone is complaining that it is Pep's fault when Luck goes downfield for 20 on a 3rd and 5? I didn't know Pep played QB...come on. Luck is great, but he isn't perfect. He had Fleenor wide open on that play and didn't see it and went deep. Even Manning would take unnecessary shots down the field when he just needed to move the chains (final drive of 2005 Pittsburgh playoff game ring a bell? Threw deep twice when they needed less). Luck is playing like a 2nd year QB that has lost a lot of weapons, behind a bad o-line. He will be fine, but I think he's trying to do too much right now. Hopefully the emergence of Rogers isn't a fluke and they can build on it. But stop putting it all on Pep. Luck had 4 TDs and 300+ yards today

I tend to agree with those who don't really believe is about Luck being unleashed. I think it is about Luck making good throws and good decisions early in the game when he usually plays poorly, combined with his pass catchers not dropping the ball.

Unrelated, I wonder why people still write Fleenor instead of Fleener, Costanzo instead of Castonzo, and Rodgers instead of Rogers. It's been going on for a long time.

Andrew earlier on, was giving the WR a chance to make plays. Rogers should have caught the ball on 3rd and 5, it hit him right in the hands.  I didn't seen any screens, pick plays or bunch formations in the first half.  It's easy to cover when your WR has one dimensional routes.  I also saw a bunch of dropped balls on tight coverage.  In other words, WR needs to prove that they can make plays.  It was good to see Saunders get into the passing game. Learn from this and get better.

Guys..we run inside the tackles...we rarely pitch out or run reverses.

We have big receivers but we don't run WR screen passes ...that Denver lives on...

...or the screens that NOLA loves....

...and we don't run the naked bootlegs that enable Russell Wilson to steal 5-10 yards whenever he wants to...

We want to overpower the other team and control the ball and the clock ....and we aren't built to do that

I tend to agree with those who don't really believe is about Luck being unleashed. I think it is about Luck making good throws and good decisions early in the game when he usually plays poorly, combined with his pass catchers not dropping the ball.

Unrelated, I wonder why people still write Fleenor instead of Fleener, Costanzo instead of Castonzo, and Rodgers instead of Rogers. It's been going on for a long time.

Well said on the spelling, RoumanianColtsFan.

If Luck is on a leash it's because his WRs haven't been getting open. The Colts came out with a game plan to throw the ball around the yard against the Titans. How did that work? They struggled on offense all game till the very end of the game when they ran it.

Honestly Luck has been throwing the ball an average of 35 passes a game to this point. Last year he threw it an average of 39. Those four fewer pass attempts a game are not a big deal.

Today alone he threw it 46 times vs. 12 rush attempts (2 of which were his). He's hardly leashed.

The idea we come out running is false as well. Here are first quarter drives.

Drive one:

Pass play that Luck scrambled on because no one was open.

a Run

An Incomplete pass three and out.

Drive two:

Pass for 8 yards

Incomplete pass but PI for a first down

Incomplete pass

Incomplete pass

Incomplete pass

Drive three

Run for no gain

Run for two yards

Incomplete pass

Drive four (finished in the second quarter)

Run for three yards

Pass for 13 yards

Run for no gain

Pass for 7 yards

Incomplete pass

So on 16 plays five called run plays and one scramble on a called passing play. That's hardly coming out and trying to establishing the run especially when there was one called run play in the first two drives. That's barely keeping them honest with the run.

That's how it's been for the past couple weeks when I started paying attention to the run/pass ratio to start games. Luck has been coming out throwing.

From the looks of it we only had 10 designed runs all game and it was a one score game the whole first half. We had plenty of opportunities to try and establish the run but Luck was out there throwing

We want to overpower the other team and control the ball and the clock ....and we aren't built to do that

I feel the same way but i don't know how to look at it.  We "want" to be a power run team.  It doesnt really work now but the pieces we do have in place, will be better in the power run scheme in the future because they are playing in it now.  We also learn who can get better, and who just isnt going to make it.  

Trying to be a power running team is the reason why we start off so slow. Luck needs to be in shotgun for majority of the game. Have Fleener and Rogers do some underneath crossing routes and T.Y and Brazil on deep post routes. Mix it up with some hb draws, hb delays and screen passes to Richardson. The offense would be so much more effective. Luck seems to be more comfortable out of shotgun then under center because of the offensive line.

Bottom line - when you look at this season as a whole, this team has no offensive identity.  Week-to-week, I have no idea what Pep is trying to do.  I'm not sure anyone does, and we're painfully slow to adjust and adapt to changes in circumstances.

It's a passing era.  Luck is your QB.   You play in a dome and in a division with 3 southern teams.  I think you need to reassess where you are going offensively.  You want a reasonably balanced team, yes, but for much of this season you have been beating your heads against the wall.  And yes, IMO the Richardson trade had much to do with that, but that's been discussed to death. 

If Luck is on a leash it's because his WRs haven't been getting open....

Agree with everything you said, but this is probably the most important.  The loss of Wayne and Allen cannot be understated.

I'm not giving Pep a free ride, but if you take away two of any teams three biggest weapons and you can't replace them adequately, then you really can't expect miracles.

Pep was doing pretty well calling plays when Wayne was there.  I think they were averaging more points per game than the previous year. 

Agree with everything you said, but this is probably the most important.  The loss of Wayne and Allen cannot be understated.

I'm not giving Pep a free ride, but if you take away two of any teams three biggest weapons and you can't replace them adequately, then you really can't expect miracles.

Pep was doing pretty well calling plays when Wayne was there.  I think they were averaging more points per game than the previous year. 

But that's the problem - coaches get paid to make adjustments.  You have to adjust your play calling to changes in circumstances. 

But that's the problem - coaches get paid to make adjustments.  You have to adjust your play calling to changes in circumstances. 

You really think it's that simple? 

Then the Packers coaches must be horrible.  They couldn't make a little adjustment at QB.   

I didn't see any problems with Pep's play calling today. 

Really? 

Why is Pep allergic to slants?

I think we ran one maybe two screens....tops? 

Also, we didn't throw a single pass to a RB out of the backfield until they went prevent defense.

Everytime we run, he wants to run right up the middle. It's beyond insanity. 

Trying to be a power running team is the reason why we start off so slow. Luck needs to be in shotgun for majority of the game. Have Fleener and Rogers do some underneath crossing routes and T.Y and Brazil on deep post routes. Mix it up with some hb draws, hb delays and screen passes to Richardson. The offense would be so much more effective. Luck seems to be more comfortable out of shotgun then under center because of the offensive line.

I could not agree with this more.

The worst offense you can run with a weak o-line is under center, inside running, deep 5-7 step drops with or without play Action. That's EXACTLY what Pep has been stubbornly trying to force feed in the first halves of these games.

The cure is..

Shotgun for the majority of snaps (not just when you're down 21+), Quick passing with shots as they are allowed, delays and screens.

It's seems painfully obvious...

To me I came of yesterday's game with a positive feeling about the offense. I think largely blaming play calling is just your normal fan-boy whining after a loss, which is to say we don't know enough about a specific play to truly know if it was a bad play call, a bad audible or bad read by Luck, or just simply a good play by the defense.

But yesterday I think Luck had guys actually make plays for him, something which even the great QB's need. I am encouraged at least to the point that guys stepped up and helped him out on offense. I think the premise that Luck is on a leash is simply not accurate.

However, I am beyond worried about the defense. There are no playmakers. Even Mathis can be taken out of the game. I would say the Colts get out-schemed frequently but that can be overcome if a guy simply makes a play and that seems less and less frequent.

You really think it's that simple? 

Then the Packers coaches must be horrible.  They couldn't make a little adjustment at QB.   

One, that's a terrible analogy, and two I'm speaking specifically on what I've witnessed - the Colts continuing to run far too many long, slow developing pass plays, lacking the pass protection and receiver talent/experience to pull it off.  In face of this reality, there's been next-to-no adjustment whatsoever.  Luck is being hit and sacked as much as last season.  His completion % is below 60.  Ostensibly, Pep was brought in to run a more effecient west coast style.  Where is it?  If this offense does have any sort of identity, if I had to describe it in a few words, I would say it's Stanford's running game combined with Arians' passing game.  That's 1970's Steeler-style offense, and not exactly where this league is headed. 

This loss isnt on Pep its on Munusky and our D

Which stinks because last week the D is why we won the game. Well the D and AV's leg. This week the D didn't do their job and AV missed his kick. He just barely missed it and It wasn't a terrible kick and I am not saying to cut him or anything but it sucks that the 2 reasons we won last week weren't able to help us win this week. At least the offense did really good. Maybe this week we can have the offense, defense and AV play well.

This loss isnt on Pep its on Munusky and our D

It is not a coincidence that the Colts are always behind in the first half.  Inside running, passing from under center, 3 TE formations will not get it done with the current personnel.   You have to spread the offense out FROM THE SHOTGUN for the majority of the whole game (not just when down multiple scores), work the short passing game (take shots when available), draws, screens, pick plays etc.   

Why does Pep (or maybe its Pagano) refuse to let Luck play a majority of the game in the hurry-up offense? Every time Luck is in the hurry-up, he elevates every facet of his game. He enjoys playing at a fast pace-- he gets into a rhythm. I agree that I liked the fact that we threw it more yesterday, but the plays still seemed vanilla. Like another poster stated, why not more slants? Why not more dink-and-dunk routes in general? There are almost no short routes in this offense. They are almost all intermediate to long passes that Luck is being asked to make. And in the rare times there is a play set with a short route, there is only one. Mix it up a little bit.

I think allowing Luck to run the no-huddle and call some of his own plays would benefit him greatly. And I think that is why people say he is on a leash. Even Arians last year let Luck do this as a rookie here and there in games.

Which stinks because last week the D is why we won the game. Well the D and AV's leg. This week the D didn't do their job and AV missed his kick. He just barely missed it and It wasn't a terrible kick and I am not saying to cut him or anything but it sucks that the 2 reasons we won last week weren't able to help us win this week. At least the offense did really good. Maybe this week we can have the offense, defense and AV play well.

As long as all three play great in the playoffs i wont complain :D

Why does Pep (or maybe its Pagano) refuse to let Luck play a majority of the game in the hurry-up offense? Every time Luck is in the hurry-up, he elevates every facet of his game. He enjoys playing at a fast pace-- he gets into a rhythm. I agree that I liked the fact that we threw it more yesterday, but the plays still seemed vanilla. Like another poster stated, why not more slants? Why not more dink-and-dunk routes in general? There are almost no short routes in this offense. They are almost all intermediate to long passes that Luck is being asked to make. 

IMO there is no way that Pep and Chuck can't see that ,with the current personnel, this is EXACTLY what they should be doing on offense from the opening kick (Shotgun - short passing game - draws - screens - shot down field when available) not just when trailing.

Under center, power formations, slow developing passes and interior running in the first half is the main reason this team gets in a hole almost every game IMO.

IMO there is no way that Pep and Chuck can't see that ,with the current personnel, this is EXACTLY what they should be doing on offense from the opening kick (Shotgun - short passing game - draws - screens - shot down field when available) not just when trailing.

Under center, power formations, slow developing passes and interior running in the first half is the main reason this team gets in a hole almost every game IMO.

I put the responsibility of putting Luck in the right situation more on Pep than I do Pagano, simply because Pagano is a defensive coach (Lord knows he has enough to worry about already on the other side of the ball). While it seems obvious to us that the hurry-up is the way to go, for some reason it isn't obvious to the coaching staff. Why I have no clue. I am not professing to be a football genius (because I am certainly not), but I can at least point to the fact that our slow, ineffective, power run formations are putting our team in an early hole (and have been the entire season for the most part) and it wouldn't hurt to just let the offense come out in the hurry-up offense right from the get-go to allow Luck to get comfortable and put some points on the board right away.

Just because the Colts are in the hurry up doesn't mean they cannot run the ball out of it. It also doesn't mean that they can't slow the pace down if they have the lead and want to milk the clock. Why the coaches aren't trying it is beyond me.

I put the responsibility of putting Luck in the right situation more on Pep than I do Pagano, simply because Pagano is a defensive coach (Lord knows he has enough to worry about already on the other side of the ball). While it seems obvious to us that the hurry-up is the way to go, for some reason it isn't obvious to the coaching staff. Why I have no clue. I am not professing to be a football genius (because I am certainly not), but I can at least point to the fact that our slow, ineffective, power run formations are putting our team in an early hole (and have been the entire season for the most part) and it wouldn't hurt to just let the offense come out in the hurry-up offense right from the get-go to allow Luck to get comfortable and put some points on the board right away.

Just because the Colts are in the hurry up doesn't mean they cannot run the ball out of it. It also doesn't mean that they can't slow the pace down if they have the lead and want to milk the clock. Why the coaches aren't trying it is beyond me.

It has to come down to ego at some point. Pep and Chuck have been preaching "Power" football since TC and may not want to go back on their word. It sounds obsurd, but so is trying the same things over and over and wondering why they always "start slow".

Pagano is still cutting his teeth with coaching, Hamilton is still cutting his teeth in the PRO's (albeit he has failed thus far), Grigson is still cutting his teeth in the GM role (making good choices and some bad), Irsay is still cutting his teeth on how to handle Twitter, his GM, his coaches, and his media relationship with Peyton Manning.

Here's a good Christmas gift for all of them.  Maybe the players can pitch in.

BabyOrajelcollage.jpg

Why does Pep (or maybe its Pagano) refuse to let Luck play a majority of the game in the hurry-up offense? Every time Luck is in the hurry-up, he elevates every facet of his game. He enjoys playing at a fast pace-- he gets into a rhythm. I agree that I liked the fact that we threw it more yesterday, but the plays still seemed vanilla. Like another poster stated, why not more slants? Why not more dink-and-dunk routes in general? There are almost no short routes in this offense. They are almost all intermediate to long passes that Luck is being asked to make. And in the rare times there is a play set with a short route, there is only one. Mix it up a little bit.

I think allowing Luck to run the no-huddle and call some of his own plays would benefit him greatly. And I think that is why people say he is on a leash. Even Arians last year let Luck do this as a rookie here and there in games.

I disagree with that.  This year, Luck is throwing almost exclusively short to intermediate routes.  Passes to a target WR behind the LOS to 10 yards down field comprise of 62.7% of pass attempts (58.7% last year); passes to a target from 11-20 yards, 28.8% (compared to 25.8% last year).  For passes to a target over 20 yards down field, 8.6% (14.5% last year).  There's about a 0.1% variation in this year because I rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent.

At any rate, as you can see, we are exceeding by far last years short to intermediate pass attempts, with over 90% of all passes thrown less than 20 yards through the air. 

As far as the no huddle bit, I don't mind it as a one possession thing to jump start the offense.  But the risk you run into, and part of the reason why our defense has been so bad, is that it quickly puts our defense back onto the field.  Sicne Wayne's been out, we've had the ball about 6 minutes less (on average) per game, and that was before this past weeks game where we lost the TOP battle by an entire 15 minutes (UGH!!).  If the other team has the ball 6 minutes more a game, it's no wonder why our defense can't ever get a stop on 3rd down. 

I disagree with that.  This year, Luck is throwing almost exclusively short to intermediate routes.  Passes to a target WR behind the LOS to 10 yards down field comprise of 62.7% of pass attempts (58.7% last year); passes to a target from 11-20 yards, 28.8% (compared to 25.8% last year).  For passes to a target over 20 yards down field, 8.6% (14.5% last year).  There's about a 0.1% variation in this year because I rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent.

At any rate, as you can see, we are exceeding by far last years short to intermediate pass attempts, with over 90% of all passes thrown less than 20 yards through the air. 

As far as the no huddle bit, I don't mind it as a one possession thing to jump start the offense.  But the risk you run into, and part of the reason why our defense has been so bad, is that it quickly puts our defense back onto the field.  Sicne Wayne's been out, we've had the ball about 6 minutes less (on average) per game, and that was before this past weeks game where we lost the TOP battle by an entire 15 minutes (UGH!!).  If the other team has the ball 6 minutes more a game, it's no wonder why our defense can't ever get a stop on 3rd down. 

I see what you're saying, but I am talking more about how many short routes appear in any one play set. I agree Luck is throwing less bombs way downfield this year, and obviously we are very restricted in what we can actually see on our screens at home when watching the game, but do you recall seeing multiple short routes on any one play ever? You usually see almost every receiver running downfield with maybe one WR running a short route, screens notwithstanding. Why not multiple short routes?

As far as the reason not to run no-huddle, our offense is off the field in the blink of an eye anyway on most possessions. There is really almost nothing to lose by trying it. I would take doing it for one possession here and there like you suggest even. The coaching staff isn't doing it really at all unless we are down 18+ points.