Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offical Trent Richardson discussion/thoughts/opinions thread.

Dustin

They should humble themselves and admit it was a horrible trade. I would respect the Colts Suites more if they would cut Trent sooner than later and not feel like they have to hold on to him because they gave up a first round pick. Like I've said before, Colts have had plenty of good Running Backs on the roster the last few years.

Where are the Colts Suites? I usually stay at the Embassy or Homewood when I go to Indy, but I'm willing to try something new.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Too soon, but I will say this:  given what he has shown so far, if he were a 6th rounder, or had a 6th rounder been spent on him, he wouldn't see the field.  Anyone else would - Herron, or now Rainey.  To date, he's only hurt the team, and if he were a 6th rounder, that wouldn't be allowed to happen. 

They should humble themselves and admit it was a horrible trade. I would respect the Colts Suites more if they would cut Trent sooner than later and not feel like they have to hold on to him because they gave up a first round pick. Like I've said before, Colts have had plenty of good Running Backs on the roster the last few years.

What an absolute joke of a sentiment. I am so very thankful the team is not run in the knee-jerk fashion that so many fans want. If people ran their business the way they want the team run the only word to describe it would be bankrupt.

I would suggest giving him an off season to get settled in Indy. Allow the front office to address and improve upon the o-line issues. And let Trent come back for mini's and get a full training camp under his belt.

If he is still putting up this kind of output this time next season, then yeah, I would concede that the trade was a bust.

But right now, I would say that it's entirely too soon to make such a judgement.

Why aren't you for for coaching the player rather than sending the player to another team?  If he needs some backup/pine time while he gets it together, so be it. That is still better than your solution.  If he stays on the roster in a backup role, at worst that is unrealized potential.  Your method is the epitome of throwing away a first round draft pick.  

Do you have someone in mind to replace him?  You need to have a recommendation on what to do after you send TRich to another team (which is where he would shortly end up) or your recommendation is as short sighted as it is unwise.  Besides, even if you had a suitable replacement in mind, I'll bet the sharp minds here would have a better suggestion of who we could let go rather than TRich.

Its strange being on this side of any discussion concerning Richardson.  But, seriously cutting him is a horrible idea.

Cutting him now would be like getting nothing for our 1st round pick.  While I don't believe he will ever justify the investment and we wasted a 1st round pick, we have got to keep him and hope he becomes at least a "better than average" back so we get at least SOME return on our 1st round pick.  He's got 2 years left on his contract there's always a chance (however slim) that he becomes an elite back.

You don't buy a stock and then sell it when its at its lowest.  Richardson is so bad right now he can only get better.

Give him time to develop with the offence get through next seasons training camp before passing judgment . I know he was expected to be the savior for our running game and that hasn't panned out yet but he has the physical tools to be the total package and a future star . Sports are just as much mental as physical the pressure to succeed right away in a new system would be enough to drive a man crazy let alone hearing you were being traded on the news . After that having to move learn a new play book being the focus of all the media attention positive and negative would be very mentally daunting maybe he needs some time with a sports psychologist to work through everything going on so he can just go out and do his thing on the field without over thinking everything he's doing .

Fans are so quick to rush to judgment both pro and con about guys around here that it often ends up making us look stupid.  Let me give you a list of some of the more recent players fans wanted us to cut.

Coby Fleener

Donald Brown

AV.

All of them as recently as this pre-season.  Now stop and ask yourself exactly where would the offense be today without all three?

Fleener has been our best receiver since the Texans game.

Brown has become the "good" back.

AV is scoring the vast majority of our points.  

You think the offense is struggling now think about where they would be without those guys had the Colts followed the knee jerk reactions of several on here and released them this pre-season.  Now also ask yourself this who would be the Colts back up running back be if the cut him? They just put the undrafted free agent and third running back they had on IR.  You are looking at a guy like Rainy as the back up running back right now with Richardson.

Has T-Rich Struggled?  Without question.  Has he been worth a first round pick so far?  Heck no.  With that said The Colts gave up a tone to give him they aren't going to give up on him after only seeing him as a Colt for about a half a season's worth of games.  He's going to get more than one shot and frankly he deserves more than one because I don't think he's 100% of the problem.  It's crystal clear that the o-line is a major issue and doing T-Rich no favors.  We saw Brown get some big runs when he was the change of pace back and the other team wasn't used to his speed when he would come in in some different running situations but once he became the starter last Sunday he struggled till the very last drive of the game.  It's not like he set the world on fire once he started.  Now clearly you can say his last drive is more than T-Rich has given us running the ball and you would be right but that goes back to my point that T-Rich has struggled as well.  However, you can't just over look how bad the o-line is.  It's hard for any running back to do anything if they don't get any blocking. 

Also two things T-Rich has done well that Brown struggles with is catching the ball and pass protection.  Now clearly you don't give up a first round pick for a guy who does those things alone but they are two things that he does do well and frankly as bad as the o-line has been we need as much as we can get at protecting Luck.  Think about it, it was just the Miami game this season that fans were killing Brown for missing a block late that lead to Luck getting sacked on a fourth down play. 

The other reason he's going to get more than once chance are Fleener and Brown.  Sometimes it takes guys a little while to develop just like it took those two.  If you give up a first round pick for a guy you are going to give that guy a chance to develop and sorry barely over half a season worth of games in your system is not really giving that guy a chance to develop.

So you can call for him to be released but he's not going to be.  Stay patient you might be rewarded and resist the temptation to have a knee a jerk reaction because often times knee jerk reactions end up looking foolish. 

There is no way that you can make an accurate assumption or opinion about Trent Richardson when he was traded midseason and had to learn some of the playbook on the fly. Not to mention that our O-Line is banged up and not performing. How can you blame the lack of run game on Richardson? Donald Brown isn't doing THAT much better, and Luck gets hit way too many times on four man rushes. It all points to the O line. We need to focus on O lineman in the upcoming draft. 

There is no way that you can make an accurate assumption or opinion about Trent Richardson when he was traded midseason and had to learn some of the playbook on the fly. Not to mention that our O-Line is banged up and not performing. How can you blame the lack of run game on Richardson? Donald Brown isn't doing THAT much better, and Luck gets hit way too many times on four man rushes. It all points to the O line. We need to focus on O lineman in the upcoming draft. 

:wall:

where are the people that say how much better of a blocker tr is over brown. did you see the complete wiff on pass protection today? i have to say i did see him make a nice cut on a running play and did a good job catching the ball, but there really should be more than that for a 1st round pick.