Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Colts will not make playoffs

snotknockind

Stink claims the Colts snuck up on people last year.  Also said Colts will not make the playoffs this year. 

Mark S thinks we take a step backwards.  lol 

Stinks is the worst analyst in the history of analyst he knows nothing and hates the Colts he always has. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most are putting too much thinking into this. All of the announcers pick different because of the attention they do get from different fanbases. In the off season they just keep the fans fired up by being controversial. They basically take the point counter point view of things. If they stayed vanilla the fans would lose interest. 

Just have to hope our Colts prove all the "experts" wrong again. We may have won a lot of close games last year, but to me that is part of it. You want guys that can lead your team down the field when it matters and get in the end zone or make a stop. We have those guys & we will have it the next 10+ years with Luck. I would rather win 11 games by less than 10 over winning 8 by more than 10 and missing the playoffs. Still no respect from some but oh well

Well that's Bull**** because I think the colts will be even better than last year so whoever is saying this don't know what the heck they are talking about and need to shut the **** up.

Whoa dude, easy on the coffee. Everyone will have different opinions, not everyone in the world is jumping on the bandwagon yet, which is completely understandable. A young team who could easily either take a step forward or back is what we have here. No need to get so angry over an opinion.

We didn't sneak up on anybody, How in the heck can you do that for 16 games? We simply made enough plays at the end of games to beat what was for the most part a soft schedule, Only team we beat on the road  that was expected to be any good (but turned out to be anything but) was Detroit, A mark of a great team is to win against tough teams on the road

Stink claims the Colts snuck up on people last year.  Also said Colts will not make the playoffs this year. 

Stink is a pretty intelligent guy, I just hate to hear him say this because he's a pretty good judge of talent, schedule, management, coaching having been in the league and getting some rings.  I hope he's wrong in this case.

I like him too, and admit that I didn't see his comment. So, this may be out of line. But I'm constantly surprised how these guys who do this for a living have such little knowledge on so many subjects.

BTW, Bruschi picked us to win our division, for what it's worth.

How can you guys like this *?? I unfortunately I've had to watch this guy years and he has always hated the Colts and he has never had intelligent to say in all those years. 

Stink is a pretty intelligent guy, I just hate to hear him say this because he's a pretty good judge of talent, schedule, management, coaching having been in the league and getting some rings.  I hope he's wrong in this case.

He's a true * in the worst way. I'm not the only one who feels this way try googling him. 

Also, fair or not the Colts had just about every break on the field they could go their way last year.  They were 9-1 in one score games last year.  That's unreal. While it's a heck of something to build on we are talking about one play in most of those games going another way and the Colts don't win that game. 

So because they made those plays happen, they didnt really because they got lucky?  The way i see it, they won those games because they made stuff happen.  It sounds like your saying all those games were handed to us because teams let us or the Refs gave it to us.  Im pretty sure thats not the case. 

The same can be said for ANY team.  One missed play can cost any team a game, not just the colts.  They made those things them happen on their own and it sounds like your trying to discount their efforts.

So because they made those plays happen, they didnt really because they got lucky?  The way i see it, they won those games because they made stuff happen.  It sounds like your saying all those games were handed to us because teams let us or the Refs gave it to us.  Im pretty sure thats not the case. 

The same can be said for ANY team.  One missed play can cost any team a game, not just the colts.  They made those things them happen on their own and it sounds like your trying to discount their efforts.

I wouldn't think someone is trying to discount those efforts....   but I would say those type of efforts are unlikely to be repeated at the same level with the same success year after year.    It's difficult enough to win that way multiple times in a year,  but it's even harder to do that the next year, and the next....    It's not a sustainable formula for winning.

Sooner or later, stuff happens and your luck runs out.

That would be my interpretation....

With all the moves we've made this offseason (mostly fixed the Defense) it's really hard to assume that we would take a step backwards. But I'll take all the negativity and nay saying way before overhyping us. 

:agree:  that is what I said earlier in the thread.. ;)    

We didn't sneak up on anybody, How in the heck can you do that for 16 games? We simply made enough plays at the end of games to beat what was for the most part a soft schedule, Only team we beat on the road  that was expected to be any good (but turned out to be anything but) was Detroit, A mark of a great team is to win against tough teams on the road

I'm with you, you can't sneak up on people over the course of a 16 game season.  Maybe Green Bay can claim we snuck up on them.  It was early season, everyone thought the Colt's would suck, GB jumped out to a pretty size-able early lead and likely thought they could coast through the 2nd half for the win.  I can see where we might have "sneaked up" on GB.

But after that, when we have a winning record over the course of 6 to 8 games it's not like you can claim "Oh geez we had no idea these guys where any good!!!"  It's not like the teams where unaware that we had actually won most of our games. 

Saying that is also disrespectful to the teams that played us.  He's basically saying that the teams that played us didn't prepare for us very hard, especially despite us having a winning record.  In fact it's more insulting to them then it is to us.  The last thing any NFL team wants to be accused of is not trying or working very hard.  

I wouldn't think someone is trying to discount those efforts.... but I would say those type of efforts are unlikely to be repeated at the same level with the same success year after year. It's difficult enough to win that way multiple times in a year, but it's even harder to do that the next year, and the next.... It's not a sustainable formula for winning.

Sooner or later, stuff happens and your luck runs out.

That would be my interpretation....

But again, thats with any team. Cause apparently winning is about luck and not skill.

But again, thats with any team. Cause apparently winning is about luck and not skill.

Depends on how you want to define "luck." I consider that to mean situations that you don't make happen, that weren't really in your control, but you benefited from. In that case, we got lucky in some games last season, and we were unlucky in some others (first loss to the Jags, for instance). There were a couple instances where the other team did stupid things that helped us win. Then there were games where we just played better than the other team.

I don't consider it to be a slight against us when people say we had a lot of luck on our side last season. I think it's a testament to a poised and well-prepared team, one that uncharacteristically was able to pull out a lot of late game wins (it's not often a team with a rookie head coach, an interim head coach, a rookie quarterback, and 30 new players goes 8-1 in one score games). But I wouldn't bank on us matching that level of success in close games next year.

I like Schlereth, but I have never bought the "they snuck up on teams last year" argument. Teams only play 16 games, once a week...not sure how any team sneeks up on you.

LIKE!!!!!!! Out of those dreaded things,but your right you cannot sneak up on anyone,and bottom line no one listens to the press preparing for games :funny: After all this is the NFL

The larger point is this....

We came from behind in 7 of our 11 wins....

We got outscored as a team on a season-wide basis....

We gave up more yards than we gained on a season-wide basis....

We had the fewest sacks + turnovers of any team in the playoffs.

This is not a recipe for success year in and year out.    You just can't expect to make the playoffs with those kind of stats.

We had a magical season last year.    Nothing wrong with embracing it.    I think Pagano has shown he doesn't believe history will repeat itself by turning over 35 new players on this roster.    He thinks we can 10-11 games again, but he knows we have to do so with a different formula.     That what worked last year won't work this year.

Hope that clarifies.....

Depends on how you want to define "luck." I consider that to mean situations that you don't make happen, that weren't really in your control, but you benefited from. In that case, we got lucky in some games last season, and we were unlucky in some others (first loss to the Jags, for instance). There were a couple instances where the other team did stupid things that helped us win. Then there were games where we just played better than the other team.

I don't consider it to be a slight against us when people say we had a lot of luck on our side last season. I think it's a testament to a poised and well-prepared team, one that uncharacteristically was able to pull out a lot of late game wins (it's not often a team with a rookie head coach, an interim head coach, a rookie quarterback, and 30 new players goes 8-1 in one score games). But I wouldn't bank on us matching that level of success in close games next year.

Thats still about skill. Jags loss, was cause of lack of it. Wins cause of teams doin stupid stuff is their lack of skill. I just dont consider anything that man does is lucky. Being 2ft away from being struck by lightning, thats another story.

The larger point is this....

We came from behind in 7 of our 11 wins....

We got outscored as a team on a season-wide basis....

We gave up more yards than we gained on a season-wide basis....

We had the fewest sacks + turnovers of any team in the playoffs.

This is not a recipe for success year in and year out. You just can't expect to make the playoffs with those kind of stats.

We had a magical season last year. Nothing wrong with embracing it. I think Pagano has shown he doesn't believe history will repeat itself by turning over 35 new players on this roster. He thinks we can 10-11 games again, but he knows we have to do so with a different formula. That what worked last year won't work this year.

Hope that clarifies.....

Thats all misleading. The points and yards is just cause the games we lost we were blown out. And when you play 1 game in the playoffs, you prob will have the lowest. Im not arguing your point about that we cant do that consistently. But i just dont believe in luck when it comes to things humans do. Sorry, should clarify.

Our record may not surpass 11-5 but make no mistake the Colts should be a much better more complete football team this upcoming season. The schedule looks tougher though...but that should make for some good battle testing.  I'd gladly take a slightly poorer regular season record if they end up going further in the post season.

Thats still about skill. Jags loss, was cause of lack of it. Wins cause of teams doin stupid stuff is their lack of skill. I just dont consider anything that man does is lucky. Being 2ft away from being struck by lightning, thats another story.

Sounds like you take issue with the word "luck" more than the argument. I'm saying that sometimes you catch a break and it helps you win. Sometimes the ball bounces the other way, and you lose. We caught a lot of breaks last year. 

Thats all misleading. The points and yards is just cause the games we lost we were blown out. And when you play 1 game in the playoffs, you prob will have the lowest. Im not arguing your point about that we cant do that consistently. But i just dont believe in luck when it comes to things humans do. Sorry, should clarify.

Sorry,  one my points was misleading to you....

The one about fewest sacks & turnovers of any team in the playoffs....    that was NOT a playoff stat....   what that way as the stats of all playoff teams from the regular season.    In other words,  all the other playoff teams during the regular season had more,  in most cases,  far more sacks + turnovers than the Colts did. 

Again,  not a playoff stat.   A regular season stat.

As to everything else.......  clearly the difference was Luck.   But one player can't be expected to work miracles like that week after week, season after season.

And Grigson clearly agrees.   Otherwise,  he would've brought back the same team.   He knows we have to get dramatically better.    And when this year is over,  no matter how good we are,   he'll turn things over some more.    We have to constantly be getting better.

One player can't do it alone in the NFL.

Schlereth is a clown. The only people the Colts snuck up on were lazy "expert" prognosticators and uninformed observers.

Lots of win in the avatar, hilarious. I heard Tim isn't allowed to touch the drums.

The one about fewest sacks & turnovers of any team in the playoffs....    that was NOT a playoff stat....   what that way as the stats of all playoff teams from the regular season.    In other words,  all the other playoff teams during the regular season had more,  in most cases,  far more sacks + turnovers than the Colts did. 

As to everything else.......  clearly the difference was Luck.   But one player can't be expected to work miracles like that week after week, season after season.

And Grigson clearly agrees.   Otherwise,  he would've brought back the same team.   He knows we have to get dramatically better.    And when this year is over,  no matter how good we are,   he'll turn things over some more.    We have to constantly be getting better.

Some supporting stats on how unlikely a playoff team we were:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/improbable-indianapolis-colts-144026502--nfl.html

Some supporting stats on how unlikely a playoff team we were:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/improbable-indianapolis-colts-144026502--nfl.html

Beat me to it.....      that was to be my next post!

Thanks,   always appreciate good 411.     :thmup:

Since many posters here do not read links,  here are the two key paragraphs.   The information should jump off the page at readers.....     here it is....

Since the NFL expanded to a 16-game regular season in 1978, 214 teams have posted a record of 11 wins or more.  And with the exception of the 2012 Indianapolis Colts, every one of those teams recorded a favorable point differential.

To put it another way, the Indianapolis Colts are the only 11-win team since the 1978 regular season expansion to be outscored by their opponents (outscored 387-357).

Beat me to it.....      that was to be my next post!

Thanks,   always appreciate good 411.     :thmup:

Since many posters here do not read links,  here are the two key paragraphs.   The information should jump off the page at readers.....     here it is....

Since the NFL expanded to a 16-game regular season in 1978, 214 teams have posted a record of 11 wins or more.  And with the exception of the 2012 Indianapolis Colts, every one of those teams recorded a favorable point differential.

To put it another way, the Indianapolis Colts are the only 11-win team since the 1978 regular season expansion to be outscored by their opponents (outscored 387-357).

Yup. We lost five games by a combined 98 points (smallest margin of defeat was against Jacksonville, by 5; the others were 20, 26, 35, and 12). Average margin of defeat was 19.6 points.

We won 11 games by a combined 68 points. Average margin of victory was 6.2 points.

I think, if things go the way we hope, the difference will be that we don't get blown out so much, and hopefully, we have a few more comfortable wins, especially at home. Might result in a similar record (11 wins is nothing to sneeze at), but we'd be a better team overall.

LIKE!!!!!!! Out of those dreaded things,but your right you cannot sneak up on anyone,and bottom line no one listens to the press preparing for games :funny: After all this is the NFL

You put the cleats on....the pads....you practice.....prepare.....Then you go out and hit somebody!!!

How the heck could we sneak up on someone with an OL that was awful?  I suppose when Mathis, Freeman, Landry and the boys knock the snot out of backs, receivers, and QBs....."We snuck up on ya......" haha  :spit:  :peek:  :hide:  :ninja:

I saw the video of Marl schlerf or however u spell it, he dropped off Us Colts and Ravens and put in Cincy & Dolphins I think

was all over ESPN

Peyton did. Luck has started doing it. So I beg to differ.

I love the Tannehill support these writers give. It's hilarious to me seeing as how Tannehill now has one of the "hardest schedules" this year according to that schedule ranking

Tannehill isn't good imo. Former WR turned QB. But Miami's OC said he WILL be the most improved QB of last year's rookie class this year. So the more the keep putting him on this high horse, the longer and harder his fall will be

:D

Actually, Tannehill is an original QB, temporarily turned WR in college, turned back to QB when the Aggies finally figured out that he was the best QB on their roster at the time. Too early to tell on him in my opinion, but if I had to bet I'd bet that in a couple of years he will be at least among the middle of the pack in NFL QBs.

Writers just looking to get some attention for themselves with unusual opinions.

I think that we win the division and the Texans are the team that surprisingly takes a step backwards.

Peyton did. Luck has started doing it. So I beg to differ.

Peyton didn't win all by himself, Edge, Marvin, Saturday, Glenn, Addai, Clark, Wayne, Bethea, Mathis, Freeney, Sanders, and June ALL made pro-bowls while Peyton was here and no not all of them because they were so "popular".  Add to that he had a Hall of Fame coach despite what some Colts fans think in Tony Dungy and the argument that Peyton Manning did it all by himself is faulty.  Was Peyton Manning the most important part of it?  Without question.  Would those teams have won had Peyton not been there?  No way.  However he was not the only good player on those teams?  Far from it.  You don't win all by yourself in the NFL.  Odds are Peyton played with not one but two Hall of Fame WRs and could be a Hall of Fame back in Edge.  There were other good players on those teams that yes helped them win games.  Keep in mind we won our Super Bowl thanks in large part to the supporting cast showing up around Peyton not because of Peyton by himself.  When he had to try to put the team on his back all by himself in the playoffs the team tended to fail just as any team does that has to depend on one guy to try to do that for them in the playoffs so that's not a shot at Peyton it just speaks to how important the supporting cast is in football even if you do have a super star player like Peyton. 

Peyton didn't win all by himself, Edge, Marvin, Saturday, Glenn, Addai, Clark, Wayne, Bethea, Mathis, Freeney, Sanders, and June ALL made pro-bowls while Peyton was here and no not all of them because they were so "popular".  Add to that he had a Hall of Fame coach despite what some Colts fans think in Tony Dungy and the argument that Peyton Manning did it all by himself is faulty.  Was Peyton Manning the most important part of it?  Without question.  Would those teams have won had Peyton not been there?  No way.  However he was not the only good player on those teams?  Far from it.  You don't win all by yourself in the NFL.  Odds are Peyton played with not one but two Hall of Fame WRs and could be a Hall of Fame back in Edge.  There were other good players on those teams that yes helped them win games.  Keep in mind we won our Super Bowl thanks in large part to the supporting cast showing up around Peyton not because of Peyton by himself.  When he had to try to put the team on his back all by himself in the playoffs the team tended to fail just as any team does that has to depend on one guy to try to do that for them in the playoffs so that's not a shot at Peyton it just speaks to how important the supporting cast is in football even if you do have a super star player like Peyton. 

Luck has good players around him as well. I was just drawing a parallel to what was said. Although just how good were a lot of those players when Peyton got injured? You took this way to literally.