Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Colts will not make playoffs

snotknockind

Luck has good players around him as well. I was just drawing a parallel to what was said. Although just how good were a lot of those players when Peyton got injured? You took this way to literally.  

Yes without question Luck had good players around him as well. 

Reggie Wayne was pretty good and frankly part of the problem was that a lot of that talent that was around Peyton when the Colts were at their best with him was either gone or past their prime the year Peyton got hurt.  They needed new talent no question and Grigson has done a wonderful job remaking the roster and getting more talent.  Frankly Peyton did mask that a bit the year before and played a large role in getting the Colts into the playoffs but the decline had already started that year that team was 10-6 that had to rally to make to the playoffs.  Like I said before without question Peyton was the most important player on those teams and the best player but just because he was the best player and the guy the team was built around does not mean he was the only good player. 

Also when you say Peyton did it and now Luck is starting to do it so I beg to differ when quoting someone who just said one player doesn't do it by himself is not taking you too literally it's what you said.  If it's not what you meant maybe I am not talking it too literally maybe your point wasn't clear enough which happens to us all from time-to-time. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton didn't win all by himself, Edge, Marvin, Saturday, Glenn, Addai, Clark, Wayne, Bethea, Mathis, Freeney, Sanders, and June ALL made pro-bowls while Peyton was here and no not all of them because they were so "popular".  Add to that he had a Hall of Fame coach despite what some Colts fans think in Tony Dungy and the argument that Peyton Manning did it all by himself is faulty.  Was Peyton Manning the most important part of it?  Without question.  Would those teams have won had Peyton not been there?  No way.  However he was not the only good player on those teams?  Far from it.  You don't win all by yourself in the NFL.  Odds are Peyton played with not one but two Hall of Fame WRs and could be a Hall of Fame back in Edge.  There were other good players on those teams that yes helped them win games.  Keep in mind we won our Super Bowl thanks in large part to the supporting cast showing up around Peyton not because of Peyton by himself.  When he had to try to put the team on his back all by himself in the playoffs the team tended to fail just as any team does that has to depend on one guy to try to do that for them in the playoffs so that's not a shot at Peyton it just speaks to how important the supporting cast is in football even if you do have a super star player like Peyton.

Sorry, but I laugh every time someone mentions Cato June as a good player.

He was in the right place at the right time a lot that year...I will give him that.

Well, speaking to the point, let's say he was just in the right place at the right time. Is that a credit to Peyton Manning? I wouldn't say so. I'd say it's a credit to the rest of the defense. Like was said earlier, it's not fair to the rest of the team to say that Manning did anything by himself. He's the biggest factor in whatever success his teams have, but not the only factor.

Yup. We lost five games by a combined 98 points (smallest margin of defeat was against Jacksonville, by 5; the others were 20, 26, 35, and 12). Average margin of defeat was 19.6 points.

We won 11 games by a combined 68 points. Average margin of victory was 6.2 points.

I think, if things go the way we hope, the difference will be that we don't get blown out so much, and hopefully, we have a few more comfortable wins, especially at home. Might result in a similar record (11 wins is nothing to sneeze at), but we'd be a better team overall.

I'm not the first to say this, Superman....    I think you have, and I think several other fans here have said this....

But I think we could win 10 games this year and still be a better overall team -- perhaps even much better team -- than the 2012 Colts were.

This would not surprise me in the least.....

Okay, why in the world would we not make the playoffs?! To people who bring us stats from the past, they are from the past. The past. We worry about now. Ryan Grigson has filled gaps this year and we really have not lost key players, we have gained some, but not lost them. We must trust in Ryan. "Sophomore slump"? We are talking about Andrew Luck. Literally our offense is "stacked" if you will, Darrius Heyward-Bey is a great WR, look where he came from. The Oakland Raiders, he has a stabe team now and a chance to prove himself. Ahmad Bradshaw. Tom Coughlin unfortuantley overworked him. now herein Indy, we have ballard to balance things out. Bradshaw provides an excellent work ethic and run game, and a good butt protector. The only way we win is if we stay positive and #coltstrong folks. (those were only two free agents, there are many more i could talk about. *cough cough* our improved offensive line. Laron Landry*run stopper/huge hitter* Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Well, speaking to the point, let's say he was just in the right place at the right time. Is that a credit to Peyton Manning? I wouldn't say so. I'd say it's a credit to the rest of the defense. Like was said earlier, it's not fair to the rest of the team to say that Manning did anything by himself. He's the biggest factor in whatever success his teams have, but not the only factor.

I never mentioned Manning. I was simply pointing out Cato June was mediocre player at best.

I'll tell you my thoughts on the subject..... The Colts are too young to repeat their 2012 success. You're banking on a lot of second year players improving & generally that doesn't happen. A few of them will. Most of them will not. If you've got a good crop of new guys, or if you've got a good core of 3rd year plus, then maybe you'll offset all the things that go through a second year player's mind... especially a bunch of them that found success relatively quickly, relatively easily.

Aside from that:

Since 1996, the NFL is averaging a 50 percent turnover ratio in playoff teams from the prior season. That means that six of the 12 teams that make it this year wont make it the next. And no matter how bad your team was last year, your team could be heading to the show next season.

Between 2012 & 2011 it wasn't 50%, the Steelers were the only AFC team not to make the play offs. The NFC did see a 50% turnover. Chances are good that three 2012 AFC playoff teams will not make the playoffs in 2013.

So if you've got to pick 3 of those teams that won't make it, which three will you pick & why do you think the Colts will make it and those three won't?

I don't think Cincinnati or Baltimore has the leadership and/or talent to beat a .500+ schedule, so they're out. The Patriots "always" make the playoffs. So one team of the Texans, Colts, & Broncos will not make it. The Broncos have the easiest schedule of the three. Only the Chiefs will challenge them for their division. There is little or no turnover in their front office, OL, QB.... the question is their defense. Losing Dumerville is going to hurt & who knows if Champ Bailey found that fountain of youth. But they averaged 30 ppg (2nd) & 31.16 TOP (8th) their defense can slip a little & they'll still be able to win "most" games.

The Texans... well, they're pretty bad *

So then there's the Colts. Unlike Denver, they're going to have a new head coach again, 2 years running. Doesn't matter that it's the same guy from last year. Those young guys got used to the way Arians did things. Arians' way "works" who knows how they'll handle the "change." They also weren't particularly good on offense or defense. -12 in turnovers.... tsk, tsk, tsk.... makes it tough to win games.

So if I had to choose three teams that won't make the play offs, Bengals, Ravens, Colts. However, who's going to take their place? I can see the Steelers winning the AFC North. Patriots got the East. Broncos have the West. Texans will win the South. So who are the WildCards? KC, SD, Miami, or Colts. I'm thinking KC & the Colts, but who knows?

Edited by Superman
language filter

Manning, Brady.

And Luck.

Think about it.

Think carefully about it.

Then think about the other QBs on all the other teams who people are worried about in the end from the AFC. The pedigree, the brains, the over all skill set. The complete package and intangible factors. Think about all of it.

You will go as far as your QB can take you on a weekly basis with the RIGHT FRANCHISE QB even if you have team weaknesses that seem difficult on paper to overcome....

Big Ben, Flacco, Schaub, Dalton, Rivers, Alex Smith, the dude in Miami etc....they need a lot of things to go right AROUND them to make it all work too week in and week out....

In Indy we have seen time and time again QBs make it happen without a lot of things seemingly making sense. We are blessed.

JMO

The Texans... well, they're pretty bad *

Texans will win the South.

Your entire post was pretty good, but I can't help but key in on this portion of it. Your argument for the Texans winning the division can be summed up in those two sentences, and that's less compelling than you think it is.

This is important because the easiest route to getting into the playoffs is to win your division; just ask the 2008 Chargers, or the 2010 Seahawks. You don't necessarily have to be one of the top six in your conference. So let's consider the Colts chances of winning the division.

Go back to last season, and with three games left, we still had an opportunity to win the AFC South. Had we beaten the Texans in Week 15, then won our final two games (which we did), and if the Texans had lost their final two (which they did), we would have won the division. That's right, that Colts team with a negative turnover differential and a negative point differential would have been the 3 seed in the AFC.

Like you say, it's unlikely that every second year player takes a significant step forward. But we also added free agents at key spots, which should upgrade at least two units on the roster -- offensive line and secondary. And while the coaching changes might not be ideal, it's not as drastic as you make it out to be. The infrastructure is Pagano's; the defense is Pagano's. Arians' presence will be missed, but the offensive adjustments were needed anyways, and the new coordinator is someone familiar to the quarterback. 

I don't think the division is out of reach. I don't think it will necessarily take 12 wins to get the division title this season. The Texans have a tougher schedule than last season (on paper). And while the Colts might not wind up with a better record than they did last year, I think they'll be more balanced and efficient on offense, and significantly better on defense. The division is in play, despite the Texans being a solid team overall.

Well in Cato's defense...   the entire D did also... 

And yet Indy wins the SB...

Yep, actually I kinda enjoyed the regular season defensive hysteria that year since it just made it sweeter later in January.

The regular season winning does not concern me too much. It's January that concerns me more in a one game elimination. Can our LUCK carry through in the playoffs in the next year or two? Time will tell....... :thmup: