Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hassleback Talks New Offense

HtownColt

Pep Hamilton spoke to the Indianapolis Colts offense as a unit for the first time today, and he told his players not to latch on to the label that is floating around for what’s to come.

“He said, ‘People are saying we’re running the West Coast offense,” backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said on The Midday 180 in Nashville Tuesday afternoon, a show of which I am a part. “He said, ‘We’re running the No Coast Offense. I don’t care what people have done in the past, we’re going to do whatever it takes.’

“So, ironically, you can feel the footprint of Peyton Manning and that offense still in this playbook, stuff that they’ve done. Stuff that was good with Reggie Wayne. Stuff that was just good for the guys here, that’s worked with Clyde Christensen, the quarterbacks coach. Then there is a good element of the stuff that Bruce Arians had success with last year that worked with Andrew (Luck). Then there is the stuff that Pep did at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh and kind of what the 49ers are doing.

“For me, someone who’s played in kind of the West Coast verbage a good part of my career, the plays, I am swimming learning this playbook right now. It’s not just cookie cutter West Coast like people would say at all. They are putting a lot on every player.”

He said they’ve already looked at about a dozen personnel groupings

"I don’t think I could put it in a box even if I knew enough about it right now," Hasselbeck said. "It’s really going to be diverse."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcsouth&id=49063

That's what I was hoping for. With the offensive talent the Colts have the formations/personnel groups could be dizzying...

Luck: "X formation 32 swing on 3. Ready? Break"

Defense: *looks at formation* Is that legal?

Wayne: *looks at CB and laughs*

TY Hilton: *races downfield for a TD from Luck*

Defense: "We quit! We can't deal with this offense! Blow the whistle ref we're done!"

:funny:

Pep Hamilton spoke to the Indianapolis Colts offense as a unit for the first time today, and he told his players not to latch on to the label that is floating around for what’s to come.

“He said, ‘People are saying we’re running the West Coast offense,” backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said on The Midday 180 in Nashville Tuesday afternoon, a show of which I am a part. “He said, ‘We’re running the No Coast Offense. I don’t care what people have done in the past, we’re going to do whatever it takes.’

“So, ironically, you can feel the footprint of Peyton Manning and that offense still in this playbook, stuff that they’ve done. Stuff that was good with Reggie Wayne. Stuff that was just good for the guys here, that’s worked with Clyde Christensen, the quarterbacks coach. Then there is a good element of the stuff that Bruce Arians had success with last year that worked with Andrew (Luck). Then there is the stuff that Pep did at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh and kind of what the 49ers are doing.

“For me, someone who’s played in kind of the West Coast verbage a good part of my career, the plays, I am swimming learning this playbook right now. It’s not just cookie cutter West Coast like people would say at all. They are putting a lot on every player.”

He said they’ve already looked at about a dozen personnel groupings

"I don’t think I could put it in a box even if I knew enough about it right now," Hasselbeck said. "It’s really going to be diverse."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcsouth&id=49063

Finally the forum can put an end to this 'West Coast-Stanford' pigeon-hole that so many were insistent on basing every argument on.

No coast offense is the official name given by Pep.. I prefer to call it the No Limits offense!

It's amazing to see how this organization has been able to keep the great offensive culture around for years from generation to generation. Diversity will make this offense deadly in this new era.

So we have a hybrid 3-4 defense... a hybrid offense... how long will it be before we start seeing offensive players on defense and defensive players on offense? 

"Luck steps back to pass, feels the pressure, rolls out to his left, lets it fly, CAUGHT BY ROBERT MATHIS FOR A FIRST DOWN!"

"Manning steps back to pass, pressure in the pocket, SACKED BY LUCK who put a nasty spin move on the Left Tackle..."

Just sayin....

So we have a hybrid 3-4 defense... a hybrid offense... how long will it be before we start seeing offensive players on defense and defensive players on offense? 

"Luck steps back to pass, feels the pressure, rolls out to his left, lets it fly, CAUGHT BY ROBERT MATHIS FOR A FIRST DOWN!"

"Manning steps back to pass, pressure in the pocket, SACKED BY LUCK who put a nasty spin move on the Left Tackle..."

Just sayin....

12 can tackle ..  I'm not sure about his spin move ..

I got it!!!! The perfect name for our offense!!!!

It's called the "Multiple" Offense!

*Takes a bow* No thanks necessary people. Glad I could help :D

I nominate we call our offense "The Fonzie" because just like the Fonz... once we hit it... it is gonna work. 

I really like what is happening with the offense. I don't know enough about Pep Hamilton to feel totally comfortable with him yet, but I like that he's incorporating a bunch of different concepts into his defense. We have holdovers from the Manning/Moore offense, the whole team was indoctrinated to the Arians vertical offense, and now we have a west coast guy in Hamilton.

I said for most of last season that if Arians would incorporate some different ideas in his offense, it would make us more efficient. If Hamilton is building a hybrid offense to go along with Pagano's hybrid defense, we will truly be building the monster.

My only reservation at this point is whether Hamilton can handle the game planning and play calling for a pro team, without another offensive minded guy (Shaw, Harbaugh) looking over his shoulder. He'll get some help from Christensen, who has a lot of experience, but the burden is on his shoulders.

“The scheme that he brings is sort of a gap-scheme,” said Ballard. “That is sort of what I ran in college. Once I get all of the terminology down, I feel like I can really get comfortable with it.”

Read more: http://fox59.com/2013/04/17/colts-luck-happy-to-be-back-at-work/#ixzz2QkzzaeWH

Ballard never ceases to amaze me. If he gets "comfortable" in this system & if we fix the oline, I'm seeing 1,000 yard season for Ballard

Ballard never ceases to amaze me. If he gets "comfortable" in this system & if we fix the oline, I'm seeing 1,000 yard season for Ballard

and that is exactly why we don't need to waste a pick on a rb.  We have edge "lite"

Personally as long as our offense is called UNSTOPPABLE then I am okay with whatever cutesy name it is given :blueshoe: