Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mingo to the Colts!

OJl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1556738-post-nfl-scouting-combine-2013-mock-draft-round-one/page/25

I love all of these Mock Drafts!  Bleacher Report's latest one has Barkevious Mingo dropping to the Colts!

I would poo all over myself if that happened.  Right there at Buffalo Wild Wings, I would just let it go if Mingo dropped to us.

I'd let it all go. The floor would be a bloody mess.

I don't see why everyone is saying it won't happen. He didn't have an amazing combine, and it certainly didn't tell us anything we didn't know about him. He is strictly a 3-4 OLB. He could very well fall to us.

There are more and more teams playing a 3-4 defense now, and pass rushers are always a hot commodity. Mingo is generally considered one of the best pass rushers in the draft.

And I'm pretty sure Mingo had one of the best combine performances of anyone. That doesn't really mean anything, just saying that he did have an amazing combine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/25/nfl-combine-defensive-linemen-risers-sliders/1946803/

Barkevious Mingo, LSU: NFL teams were disappointed in Mingo's play last season, but his combine workout underscores why he's so highly ranked. His results, which included 4.58 seconds in the 40, a 37-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10-feet, 8-inches, ranked with the best of the group. During drills, he displayed his athleticism and quickly moved around the field, practicing with balance and flexibility. Mingo was run through a battery of linebacker drills, with many teams projecting him on the outside in a 3-4 alignment, and he was flawless. He effortlessly moved in reverse, displaying an ability to get depth on pass drops, then exploded up the field. Mingo has been all over draft boards the past two months, but his performance at the combine should cement him as a top-eight selection.

There are more and more teams playing a 3-4 defense now, and pass rushers are always a hot commodity. Mingo is generally considered one of the best pass rushers in the draft.

And I'm pretty sure Mingo had one of the best combine performances of anyone. That doesn't really mean anything, just saying that he did have an amazing combine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/25/nfl-combine-defensive-linemen-risers-sliders/1946803/

I just think it's funny that everyone said he was just an athlete, but when he runs a good 40 all of a sudden he is a great pass rusher as well. The combine told me nothing about him I didn't already know.

I just think it's funny that everyone said he was just an athlete, but when he runs a good 40 all of a sudden he is a great pass rusher as well. The combine told me nothing about him I didn't already know.

That's cool if you're not that high on him, based on your own observations. I was just saying that I think general consensus has him pretty highly rated. And he didn't just run well at the combine; he performed well in the position drills also. I don't think any of us care what he ran.

I think he's a great prospect for a 3-4 team like ours. And while I doubt he goes top ten (depending on Star Lotulelei and Jarvis Jones' status), you have the Chargers at #11, Saints at #15, Steelers at #17, all 3-4 teams that can use OLB pass rushers. The Jets could reach at #9. A team like the Dolphins or another 4-3 team that thinks Mingo is comparable to Bruce Irvin might take a chance on him. Just based on what I'm reading and seeing -- and maybe none of that means anything -- it's unlikely that he's still there at #24.

That's cool if you're not that high on him, based on your own observations. I was just saying that I think general consensus has him pretty highly rated. And he didn't just run well at the combine; he performed well in the position drills also. I don't think any of us care what he ran.

I think he's a great prospect for a 3-4 team like ours. And while I doubt he goes top ten (depending on Star Lotulelei and Jarvis Jones' status), you have the Chargers at #11, Saints at #15, Steelers at #17, all 3-4 teams that can use OLB pass rushers. The Jets could reach at #9. A team like the Dolphins or another 4-3 team that thinks Mingo is comparable to Bruce Irvin might take a chance on him. Just based on what I'm reading and seeing -- and maybe none of that means anything -- it's unlikely that he's still there at #24.

No, I am high on him and have been since before he suddenly became everyone's favorite player. The Chargers need anything but an OLB, and the Steelers like linebackers who can cover. The Saints are the real threat to him being gone, IMO.

No, I am high on him and have been since before he suddenly became everyone's favorite player. The Chargers need anything but an OLB, and the Steelers like linebackers who can cover. The Saints are the real threat to him being gone, IMO.

The Chargers have a lot of needs, but I think pass rusher is way up there, even if they keep Phillips.

Assuming teams are pigeon-holing Mingo as only a rushing OLB (not an end, not an option in coverage), I agree, the Saints are the primary threat, but anything screwy can happen between now and the time we pick. Especially if Jarvis Jones and/or Star Lotulelei don't get the kind of medical clearance teams want to see.

I actually think he goes in the top 10...unfortunately. If Dontari Poe can go #11 without much production at Memphis, then Mingo can certainly go higher. I would think the eagle, browns, bills and jets would all be in play for Mingo.

I actually think he goes in the top 10...unfortunately. If Dontari Poe can go #11 without much production at Memphis, then Mingo can certainly go higher. I would think the eagle, browns, bills and jets would all be in play for Mingo.

The Bills run a 4-3 and are stacked at DL. The Eagles are picking too early for him, IMO.

Going by Buddy Nix quotes recently, I think it's almost a certainty Bills go offense in the first round (QB, WR or if Levitre leaves, Guard). I also think there is no question the Saints go to OLB to match their new scheme, and because their pass-rush was so abysmal to watch last year. However I am 70% sure a big-name pass rusher will follow down to us, whether we take him or not is another thing. More than likely that pass-rusher will be Jones or Mingo, both of which I would be delighted with. Jordan will probably be the first to go, and Ansah continues to climb boards.

Most mocks have only Geno Smith going in the first round, but I don't see that happening, there hasn't been only one QB drafted in the first round since 2001 and the position is even more valuable now than it was then. Someone will reach for a QB before us, they always do. I see this having a big effect on the entire first round. Someone really good is going to fall to us at either Pass-Rusher, D-Line, O-Line, Corner and Saferty, ironically all positions of need.

I really think E.J. Manuel is going to start rising.  I'm already hearing some people say he's the most gifted.  If so, he might bust up in the 1st round and help our cause.  Don't let us down Buffalo, Arizona, New York and Oakland.  You are the mother lode when it comes to drafting non franchise QB's.   Oh, I'm sorry Jacksonville, I didn't mean to leave you out.

I know everyone sees Mingo and loves that athleticism, but the guy scares me to death. Reminds me of when Golston was taken by the Jets. Not Golston's combine was much better than Mingo's and the reason he rose up the boards so much to #6, but the two have one thing in common. Great athletes who don't have a great motor. With all of the talent Mingo possesses, I just never saw games where he stood out. Just my opinion, but I remember when his name was on last years list of picks to watch for this year's draft, and every game I watched, he just never seemed to jump out at you. Golston would be great one game, and non existent the next for Ohio State. I always want a player who has College production. Same reason why I would have never taken Poe last year at #11. Just my thoughts on Mingo, but as most have said, I don't think he will drop to us. The reason why, teams and scouts love athleticism, and fall in love with it, and forget everything else many times.

I know everyone sees Mingo and loves that athleticism, but the guy scares me to death. Reminds me of when Golston was taken by the Jets. Not Golston's combine was much better than Mingo's and the reason he rose up the boards so much to #6, but the two have one thing in common. Great athletes who don't have a great motor. With all of the talent Mingo possesses, I just never saw games where he stood out. Just my opinion, but I remember when his name was on last years list of picks to watch for this year's draft, and every game I watched, he just never seemed to jump out at you. Golston would be great one game, and non existent the next for Ohio State. I always want a player who has College production. Same reason why I would have never taken Poe last year at #11. Just my thoughts on Mingo, but as most have said, I don't think he will drop to us. The reason why, teams and scouts love athleticism, and fall in love with it, and forget everything else many times.

It's a value thing.  Mingo is a top 10 talent.  IF he drops to #24, you take him and don't look back.  But there is NO WAY he drops that low.  I laughed out loud in my office when I read this mock.

Gholston was a freak and didn't start playing football until late in highschool. The guy had all of the tools to be a successful NFL player but NEVER did he do what Rex wanted him to do which was be an OLB. 14 sacks his SR year at Ohio State and the ONLY college player to get sacks on Jake Long at Michigan. Had he been drafted to a 4-3 team I think he would have still been playing but I think overall he gave up once he was given up on.

I really think E.J. Manuel is going to start rising.  I'm already hearing some people say he's the most gifted.  If so, he might bust up in the 1st round and help our cause.  Don't let us down Buffalo, Arizona, New York and Oakland.  You are the mother lode when it comes to drafting non franchise QB's.   Oh, I'm sorry Jacksonville, I didn't mean to leave you out.

Looks like I called that one.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000147681/article/mike-mayock-elevates-ej-manuel-in-latest-draft-prospect-rankings