Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So We're Now Switching To A Power Running West Coast Offense

HarassedOffTheSite

Luck knows it in his sleep, as does Fleener and Whalen. So this might mean a bigger role for the latter two. From all indication Stanford's Offense had a very good offensive line and running to set up the pass.

We were already going to address the offensive line in the offseason. But does this mean we need a bigger runningback in addition to Vick Ballard? If so, does this mean we'll be targeting Stepfan Taylor (5'11" 215 lbs) in this upcoming draft (if we weren't already)? Can Donald Brown perform in this system? Also, will this give new life to Delone Carter?

What does this mean for our small, fast WRs? I noticed in an interview that Hamilton says in his offense everyone can block and everyone can catch. Does Whalen move into a more prominent role? Maybe a late round or undrafted Free Agent selection of Stanford WR Drew Terrell? Does this change in OC mean TE Weslye Saunders will now see and increase in playing time (Stanford runs 2 and 3 TE sets a lot)?

Time will tell. But this offseason will continue to be exciting.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wanted some one kind of a vet coach like nov or ken who pagano could turn the offense to because he is a conservative coach with lost us the jaguar game , really with out ba aggressive play callin style we would lost a lot of games where pagano woulda said lets run an go to ot or let's run and punt the ball in that texans game instead we threw on 3rd down an put that game away

i'm personally in love with the TE position and possibly a Jermichael Finley could be an option this offseason barring a tough packers decision 

Highly unlikely we target Finley. He's a very good player, but I think we're married to Allen and Fleener at this point.

TY Hilton is our Randall Cobb, and the latter seems to be just fine in a WCO.

Good comparison. TY will be used for reverses too, I feel. The question is, will our run game be effective enough for play action to be effective enough?

Otherwise, we can use a short passing game to set up the long passing game as opposed to the run game setting up the long pass. Hit the RBs and TEs all day long and then boom, hit TY or Avery.

Good comparison. TY will be used for reverses too, I feel. The question is, will our run game be effective enough for play action to be effective enough?

Otherwise, we can use a short passing game to set up the long passing game as opposed to the run game setting up the long pass.

dependent on our O Line on that running game of course but I look for it to get better

i'm personally in love with the TE position and possibly a Jermichael Finley could be an option this offseason barring a tough packers decision 

No we do not need another TE. And if we did we do not need Finley either. I cannot stand that guy. He has such an attitude.

Which would help our Oline right? I thought that's what we have been drafting and signing for a d this was first year to change to more man

Arians ran alot of Man Blocking scheme (some Zone but alot of Man). I think think will benefit our O Line to some extent, how much though I dont know, we lack talent on the O Line at every spot except LT

Was debating making a new thread devoting an entire section in which offensive schematics and philosophies that may become Colt staples could be discussed. Let me know if you think it's a good idea. I'm a x's and o's kinda guy

This somewhat explains Tom Cable's Zone Blocking scheme:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/11/15/3647910/zone-blocking-scheme-seahawks-tom-cable-marshawn-lynch

*Thought it belonged here because of the direction of the thread

I really don't know but is that reaching?
I've seen many mock drafts where he's slotted to go WELL before that. He the most agile and quick interior o-lineman in the draft. LT type quickness and agility. Us getting him at #24 would be awesome. He would be a perfect fit in a Zone Blocking Scheme, if that's what we're switching to.

I'm just wanted some one kind of a vet coach like nov or ken who pagano could turn the offense to because he is a conservative coach with lost us the jaguar game , really with out ba aggressive play callin style we would lost a lot of games where pagano woulda said lets run an go to ot or let's run and punt the ball in that texans game instead we threw on 3rd down an put that game away

To me those are a pretty bold claims that Pagano would have lost us those games.  In Jags game, his conservative approach didn't lose us the game,  A blown coverage and bad angle allowed shorts to take one to the house. 

Just because Pagano wants a more balanced attack doesn't mean its conservative.  Running leads to a better play-action which allows for the deep passes.  Considering that Pagano wasn't their most of the season you can't claim to know what he can or will do.  We really don't know how much more Pagano will influence the offense, so to claim that he would "run and go to ot or let's run and punt the ball" is unfounded.

Furthermore we had absolutely zero to play for in that texans game except pride.  The conservative approach would have been to play the starters sparingly and rest up.  That wasn't the case.

I have a feeling to cut down on Luck's TOs, they will try that ground and pound crap. 

If we have any semblance of an O-line next season Luck's turnovers will decrease dramatically. Also, he won't be running Arians high risk offense anymore. If we do change to the WCO Luck shouldn't turn it over anywhere close to as much as he did this year.

I don't know anything about the guy, but I highly doubt we try to become some grind it out, San Fran-esque, ground and pound team. If Hamilton knows anything about the game, he knows he has a guy that can throw the rock, and the offense will be run as such. Ground and pound is pretty much dead unless you have San Fran or Minnesota's Oline.

Why does our WCO have to be like Stanford's, what is there to say it wont be like Mike McCarthy's Packers?

A QB like Rodgers that can throw well on the run can definitely run a similar version with similar concepts. Make our O-line improved, and we will have elements of running that Mike McCarthy does not have and passing similar to the Packers.