Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Loves Speed and Percy has a lot of it

bobourret

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i still preffer to make the rest of the team better all around, i know we have money, but we have so many weak links and WR is not one i believe, which is why i'd preffer other positiosn.

having said that, Percy Harvin is one guy I'd like to have.

i still preffer to make the rest of the team better all around, i know we have money, but we have so many weak links and WR is not one i believe, which is why i'd preffer other positiosn.

having said that, Percy Harvin is one guy I'd like to have.

Totally agree that we have better positions of need.............but if Harvin really was an option, it would be hard to snub.

The question that should be asked is, what makes you think he's even available? He is their 2nd most important player on offense so I doubt they even let him walk

And equally, how much does anyone expect him to play? His injury history has to be a major red flag.

The question that should be asked is, what makes you think he's even available? He is their 2nd most important player on offense so I doubt they even let him walk

The consensus in Minnesota is the organization has had enough of him and his constant antics. I drive for a living and listen to a lot of sports talk radio here in MN, and none of the main D.J's believe Percy will be here next year. Most fans also believe it is more likely Jennings is wearing purple than Harvin, and it is rumored that Harvin does not want to play here if Ponder is at QB.

Also there is 1 year left on his deal and the Vikings know he does not want to resign with them. That always leaves hope for a trade.

He's under contract through 2013, FA in 2014, right (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124963/article/minnesota-vikings-gm-has-no-issues-with-percy-harvin)?  The Colts have a younger, less expensive player in TY, without the drama of trade demands, without the migranes, without missing games.  The stories of being unable to get along with Leslie Frazier, perhaps the most mild-tempered coach in football, scares me.  Articles suggest a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, a 2nd at best.  As dynamic as Harvin is, we have a younger version on the roster already, albeit less proven.  The separation between TY and Percy, comparing their rookie seasons, is only in kickoff returns, and TY did pretty well with punts, so the disparity isn't even as large as those numbers appear in my opinion.

If the Colts have a WR in mind this off season, especially if the thought was in rounds three or four of the draft, and have filled the more glaring needs, I'd be all for a trade.  I'd give up the fourth rounder for Harvin without thinking twice.  But to me, he won't ever be a Wayne type, the true go-to WR that the Colts will have to find before the 2015 season.  So I don't think he solves the WR issue long term.  But he would be fun to watch.

He's under contract through 2013, FA in 2014, right (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124963/article/minnesota-vikings-gm-has-no-issues-with-percy-harvin)?  The Colts have a younger, less expensive player in TY, without the drama of trade demands, without the migranes, without missing games.  The stories of being unable to get along with Leslie Frazier, perhaps the most mild-tempered coach in football, scares me.  Articles suggest a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, a 2nd at best.  As dynamic as Harvin is, we have a younger version on the roster already, albeit less proven.  The separation between TY and Percy, comparing their rookie seasons, is only in kickoff returns, and TY did pretty well with punts, so the disparity isn't even as large as those numbers appear in my opinion.

If the Colts have a WR in mind this off season, especially if the thought was in rounds three or four of the draft, and have filled the more glaring needs, I'd be all for a trade.  I'd give up the fourth rounder for Harvin without thinking twice.  But to me, he won't ever be a Wayne type, the true go-to WR that the Colts will have to find before the 2015 season.  So I don't think he solves the WR issue long term.  But he would be fun to watch.

No thanks....

With TY Hilton already in the fold, who the heck needs to part with the contract $$$$ and draft picks for an often-injured malcontent who is the epitome of a "diva" WR?

Exhibit A.....

http://youtu.be/yMg4em-zFtw

I've never been worried about guys with 'character' issues like Percy joining the Colts..sometimes people just need a change of scenery..WINNING solves a lot of problems and I can assure you the Vikings haven't done alot of that.. and if he messes up with the Colts before his contract is up, he'll most likely be blackballing himself out the league and won't anywhere close to the large contract he was possibly hoping for..

BUT with that said if we can get him I say pull the trigger..He's 24 and is HUGELY talented..he was up for MVP discussion earlier in the year..can't say that about too many WRs..

No thanks....

With TY Hilton already in the fold, who the heck needs to part with the contract $$$$ and draft picks for an often-injured malcontent who is the epitome of a "diva" WR?

]

If he ever raised his Voice at Pagano like that, he'd catch a MEAN Left Hook. Chuck is not the one you wanna mess with haha

The consensus in Minnesota is the organization has had enough of him and his constant antics. I drive for a living and listen to a lot of sports talk radio here in MN, and none of the main D.J's believe Percy will be here next year. Most fans also believe it is more likely Jennings is wearing purple than Harvin, and it is rumored that Harvin does not want to play here if Ponder is at QB.

Also there is 1 year left on his deal and the Vikings know he does not want to resign with them. That always leaves hope for a trade.

If we have to acquire him via trade, no thanks. What's the point? Receiver is the least of our worries right now

If we are spending free agent money on a WR, get a solid No.2 like a Danny Amendola, who can play outside and in the slot. His injury history is nearly not as bad as Harvin, his contract demands wont be nearly as bad as Harvin or Mike Wallace, and his hands are pretty good, IMO.

No thanks....

Exhibit A.....

http://youtu.be/yMg4em-zFtw

Do you want the Colts to extend/resign Vontae Davis?  He will cost about the same as Harvin will from 2014 going forward.  Maybe more.  Davis had as ugly and long a list of issues while in Miami, maybe uglier than Harvin has in Minnesota.  I wouldn't sign Harvin today to a FA deal, I want a true #1 eventually, and I don't think Harvin fits that role.  I would give up a 4th to kick the tires, to see if his past is past.  He will cost $1.5m next year.  Much uglier long term, as a FA, obviously.  But if the Colts resign Avery, he'll get close to $1.5m, and maybe more, next year too.  My premise was if the Colts have a WR in mind this offseason anyway, I'd rather see a 4th round pick and $1.5m spent on Harvin, as opposed to a huge investment in a Bowe or Wallace, or the first rounder used.  If the Colts were looking at WR.  I hope they aren't.  But with Avery a UFA, and Wayne still celebrating birthdays, it won't shock me if the Colts do in fact spend a draft pick on one, or resign Avery.  I don't know where Brazill is yet, and the fodder that makes up the rest of the list would be playing if they were sold on them, in my opinion.

Do you want the Colts to extend/resign Vontae Davis?  He will cost about the same as Harvin will from 2014 going forward.  Maybe more.  Davis had as ugly and long a list of issues while in Miami, maybe uglier than Harvin has in Minnesota.  I wouldn't sign Harvin today to a FA deal, I want a true #1 eventually, and I don't think Harvin fits that role.  I would give up a 4th to kick the tires, to see if his past is past.  He will cost $1.5m next year.  Much uglier long term, as a FA, obviously.  But if the Colts resign Avery, he'll get close to $1.5m, and maybe more, next year too.  My premise was if the Colts have a WR in mind this offseason anyway, I'd rather see a 4th round pick and $1.5m spent on Harvin, as opposed to a huge investment in a Bowe or Wallace, or the first rounder used.  If the Colts were looking at WR.  I hope they aren't.  But with Avery a UFA, and Wayne still celebrating birthdays, it won't shock me if the Colts do in fact spend a draft pick on one, or resign Avery.  I don't know where Brazill is yet, and the fodder that makes up the rest of the list would be playing if they were sold on them, in my opinion.

Well...if I HAD to make a choice of paying $1.5M for a one year trial of Harvin versus the $50M it will take to land Bowe or Wallace...then I'd opt for Harvin. Especially given the other needs we have.

And I agree that Avery could...and probably should be resigned at perhaps 2yrs/2M. He made what I believe is the vet minimum for his NFL tenure at 615k this season and earned a modest increase. Yes....he had some drops but he had his good moments too. But IMO his familiarity with Andrew Luck and the lack of drama that Harvin potentially brings makes Avery the better move.

Wayne - Hilton - Avery - Brazill plus the TEs should do us fine for another season.

As far as Vontae Davis goes....that deal appears to have turned out pretty darn well for Grigson, and we sure needed the CB help badly....and still need another. If Davis has a solid season up to his capabilities....and stays healthy, then yes, we should extend him...within reasonable market value range.

I'd rather we not play those averages with Percy Harvin. Such happy outcomes are not usually the case with players who've had personality issues.

I don't think the Vikings want to get rid of the one explosive player on that offense besides AP. He can do everything; he's very valuable and in my opinion, a must keep.

Jairus Wright and Michael Jenkins aren't starting receivers.

It

If we have to acquire him via trade, no thanks. What's the point? Receiver is the least of our worries right now

Its our strongest position, HBA...

I would not spend a dollar in free agency on any receiver and I would not trade for one...

Maybe a low round draft choice on a big receiver to groom behind Reggie..

I really like what we have....

It

I would not spend a dollar in free agency on any receiver and I would not trade for one...

Wow, I agree completely with oldunclemark. Tell'em Mark, I get tired of being the only one that keeps telling people this. :thmup:

Getting a speedy WR is flashy/exciting, but he's not reliable enough health wise and small, remember who beat us in the Ravens game with awesome catches A.Boldin who's a big, fast, strong receiver who caught the ball thrown in his vicinity and he caught them and couldn't be beaten by small DB's, That is the receiver we need, I thought Coby Fleener would be that guy, but he's not looking to be, C.Fleener being 6'6" should be able to just snag every ball thrown to him and he's not, he had a ball thrown to him in his hands and got knocked out easily while Boldin later in the game had a ball in his hands on the TD throw with a defender trying to knock it out and his strength stopped it and bam TD, Colts need a receiver like him, the throws by Flacco wasn't ever precise and he just heaved them in Boldins direction and he caught them.

1st and most important that the Colts need o-line more, can't utilize good receivers if Luck is on his back or running for his life, a great o-line is the heart, even a decent QB with a great 0-line with time can find an open guy eventually, so with A.Luck and a great o-line Colts will be dominate!!!!!

Ps. C.Fleener if he doesn't start producing like a 33rd overall 2nd round pick should be and skating by because A.Luck is his buddy he might be gone sooner than later, Dwayne Allen is far superior and tries like heck!!!!! Yes C.Fleener has scored some TD's but less than he should be, he's got the speed and the height and needs to run to end zone and get ready to jump for high passes out of most DB's reaches, I just don't think he can jump, he's just too flat footed...

Getting a speedy WR is flashy/exciting, but he's not reliable enough health wise and small, remember who beat us in the Ravens game with awesome catches A.Boldin who's a big, fast, strong receiver who caught the ball thrown in his vicinity and he caught them and couldn't be beaten by small DB's, That is the receiver we need, I thought Coby Fleener would be that guy, but he's not looking to be, C.Fleener being 6'6" should be able to just snag every ball thrown to him and he's not, he had a ball thrown to him in his hands and got knocked out easily while Boldin later in the game had a ball in his hands on the TD throw with a defender trying to knock it out and his strength stopped it and bam TD, Colts need a receiver like him, the throws by Flacco wasn't ever precise and he just heaved them in Boldins direction and he caught them.

1st and most important that the Colts need o-line more, can't utilize good receivers if Luck is on his back or running for his life, a great o-line is the heart, even a decent QB with a great 0-line with time can find an open guy eventually, so with A.Luck and a great o-line Colts will be dominate!!!!!

Ps. C.Fleener if he doesn't start producing like a 33rd overall 2nd round pick should be and skating by because A.Luck is his buddy he might be gone sooner than later, Dwayne Allen is far superior and tries like heck!!!!! Yes C.Fleener has scored some TD's but less than he should be, he's got the speed and the height and needs to run to end zone and get ready to jump for high passes out of most DB's reaches, I just don't think he can jump, he's just too flat footed...

I take it you haven't seen the "sport science" profile of Fleener. (He slams home an alley-ooped football {in full pads}) whatever his problem is... it isn't athletic ability

I take it you haven't seen the "sport science" profile of Fleener. (He slams home an alley-ooped football {in full pads}) whatever his problem is... it isn't athletic ability

The problem is, they never utilized him the way they should. Your right, athletic ability certainly isn't the problem. I think he had a little lack of confidence this yr., but once he gets more comfortable they will start to call more plays for him and he'll be just fine. People are too quick to give up on guys. Hilton, Brazill, Allen, and Fleener were all rookie's working with a rookie QB in a brand new system, the fact that they were as effective as they were this season is amazing. Next yr. people will figure out why the Colts didn't go after any  of the high priced FA WR's(and they won't so people need to get over it). I think we'll resign Avery and our WR position will be set.

It

Wow, I agree completely with oldunclemark. Tell'em Mark, I get tired of being the only one that keeps telling people this. :thmup:

Is there an exception to the above if the Colts resign Avery?  I agree with both of you that the stud, huge FA splash WR isn't needed. 

That said, there were 14 NFL catches last season from the guys on the roster now after Wayne and Hilton.  Suggesting that any combination of Brazill, Palmer, Adams, and Whalen is ready to go, step right in, is a leap.  We hope they can.  We saw more of Brazill, and maybe so.  But the 'strongest' position on the roster has two guys.  After those two, it's a mystery.  What we do know is 14 catches.  That's it.  There are posts about Whalen being Stokely reincarnate.  And how Adams could be a stud.  Those are as crazy to me as suggesting a WR could be added in a year when there is a lot of money is to you guys.  I don't want the money to go there, but I get why some suggest it.

If we're talking about receiving in general, not WR specific, then yes, I agree there were  enough weapons added last year to not need to worry about it in 2013.  But if we're talking about WR, I'm surprised people are so sold on 14 catches, so sure the answers are in place.  That is far from proven.