Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When can we realistically expect a deep playoff run?

ColtJ82

Given the progress the team is showing this year, when do you believe the Colts can realistically make a deep playoff run....or compete for a Superbowl.

It may be optimistic, but if the progression continues I would say year 4. This gives us 2 years of solid drafts and FA signings. Next year would be extremely important in putting the pieces in place with year 3 being fine-tuning. This gives the Colts some time to add the necessary players and achieve some continuity.

Luck spent most of the offseason learning the playbook. I expect him to begin fine-tuning this offseason. By year three he should have it together pretty good. I would expect us to make the playoffs in year three and maybe win a game or two. By year four, we should be scary.

4 years is very optimistic but not unrealistic. The AFC is no longer full of powerhouses Considering that Pagano & Grigson are changing from a 4-3 to a Hybrid and going to a more Power run game and Luck's only truely reliable receiver is Wayne ( plus at this rate we wont really have many top 10 picks in each round like other teams in rebuild mode) I'd say its more like 6 or 7 years

Most teams will look completely different in 4 years. Building for the future is a process... but 3-4 years from now. Sure, why not.

A couple of A-Grade drafts and Luck, Ballard, Hilton, Fleener, Allen and hopefully Chapman as well, maturing and turning into elite NFL players at their respective positions.. It's not a completely crazy idea, but it's not a certainty either. Not by a long shot.

When we get a reliable offensive and defensive line.

I would say next year we will have a good regular season record but fall short in the playoffs.

The year after next will be a telling one. But Grigs did very good in the this years draft along with FAs with a lot less room for money.

And this is with a team without their head coach.

This team can only get better with this young and talented core.

4 years is very optimistic but not unrealistic. The AFC is no longer full of powerhouses Considering that Pagano & Grigson are changing from a 4-3 to a Hybrid and going to a more Power run game and Luck's only truely reliable receiver is Wayne ( plus at this rate we wont really have many top 10 picks in each round like other teams in rebuild mode) I'd say its more like 6 or 7 years

6 or 7 years you've got to be kidding lol. At the rate their already going this year, shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 years!

4 years is optimistic? Really?

Sometimes I feel like the most cautious person on this website and even I think we'll be making a deep playoff run by year 4 of this regime. Put another way, if we're not, I'm not sure Pagano and Grigson will be around here by years 6 and 7.

Edit-note: Just re-read the original post and saw that it also said 'compete for a Super Bowl'... I don't mean to be cute, but I guess it depends on how you define 'compete for a Super Bowl'. If that means, make the playoffs, then yes. If it means win a game in the playoffs, then yes as well. But if it means reach the Super Bowl, then I'd say not likely, no. Hope that clarifies....

Given the progress the team is showing this year, when do you believe the Colts can realistically make a deep playoff run....or compete for a Superbowl.

It may be optimistic, but if the progression continues I would say year 4. This gives us 2 years of solid drafts and FA signings. Next year would be extremely important in putting the pieces in place with year 3 being fine-tuning. This gives the Colts some time to add the necessary players and achieve some continuity.

Luck spent most of the offseason learning the playbook. I expect him to begin fine-tuning this offseason. By year three he should have it together pretty good. I would expect us to make the playoffs in year three and maybe win a game or two. By year four, we should be scary.

Actually Luck spent most of the off season graduating from Stanford.

Then he joined the Colts... not talked about but .... just a tid bit.

Sometimes I feel like the most cautious person on this website and even I think we'll be making a deep playoff run by year 4 of this regime. Put another way, if we're not, I'm not sure Pagano and Grigson will be around here by years 6 and 7.

Edit-note: Just re-read the original post and saw that it also said 'compete for a Super Bowl'... I don't mean to be cute, but I guess it depends on how you define 'compete for a Super Bowl'. If that means, make the playoffs, then yes. If it means win a game in the playoffs, then yes as well. But if it means reach the Super Bowl, then I'd say not likely, no. Hope that clarifies....

Does the "time is now" ring a bell?

Maybe 2014. A lot depends on how well Reggie keeps going, and who we replace him with. Clearly both our lines need some major surgery. And we need to land lucky with our trades / draft picks and injuries. Same for every team I suppose. All a bit of a lottery really, and plays right into the NFL's hands, as they strive for parity.

And who knows, some lucky bounces next season, and we might get into the PO's at least.

We are still too raw to squeak in this year.

There, that should cover all the bases.....

Does the "time is now" ring a bell?

For a 'deep run into the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Super Bowl'....???? Really? Now???? Really?? The original poster DID say "realistically"... Hey, just sayin...

Nice to know that wherever you live, medical marijuana is legal. I favor it.

But always dangerous to partake and post! :thmup:

I think next year we can be considered an "expected playoff team" if we can make it this year (by surprise). With nearly $45 million in cap space and another good draft...we could do some damage next year. Based on the projected schedule, looks like we are lined up to play the AFC West and NFC West next year. So basically...we'll need to be pretty darn good next year if we want to make a playoff run. But it's not out of the question.

Safe bet...2 more years.

You never know expect a deep playoff run. You simply make the playoffs like the NYGs did last year and go from there.

You just try to build a playoff team, in my mind..

Year Three. Watch for a Dolphin and Jaguars rise as well, and Cleveland if they get Barkley. The AFC will not be as weak as many perceive us to be for much longer...at least I hope not.

I agree witht he Dolphins.

im thinking 2 more drafts and we are set. we already have the O foundations, just need to tune the OL. D is still the big part, so i say 2 more drafts and FA and we are set.

Next year, in 2013, we will be a playoff contender and division contender.

In 2014, we can be a SB contender if things go right with our moves and draft decisions in 2013.

This year, it is just going to be a roller coaster and odds are we will peak with a .500 record at best, 6 wins at least. It would still mean we got twice as many wins as Peyton's rookie year. :)

I do believe we have more talent on D than Peyton's rookie year. Talent on offense probably leans towards Peyton's rookie year team. But for a rookie, not turning the ball over and the D helping him out by keeping games close is more important, IMO. Andy Dalton was proof of that last year.

For a 'deep run into the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Super Bowl'....???? Really? Now???? Really?? The original poster DID say "realistically"... Hey, just sayin...

This D has not played together yet this season for one down... and "IF" they do I really like this team.

I am the most optimistic Colt fan around, yet I am very realistic in my view of this team. And I am saying "IF" (and it's a big if, and one every NFL team says) BUT "IF" Indy can get healthy on D this team will be a tough out...

But.... reality says we will most likely not get to see DFree, Mathis, Angerer, Freeman, Powers, Davis, and every one else out there at the same time. It's the same situation for every team in the NFL.

The healthiest team at the end is usually around to the end. The Pack in 10 the exception to the rule.

Indy is 13th currently in total D.... with all the injuries. I "realistically" this COULD improve if this fall right. Run D is still an issue. But it was in 06 also..... then Indy got healthy.

So... Why not Indy?

And just to let YOU know I was not HIGH when I posted that statement..... But I am now...

Huggz and kissz Bit^#$chzzzz...

Competing for a Super Bowl and Being a regular playoff team are 2 completely different teams. i actuall think well be in the playoffs next year. But asking the colts to play with Pittsburgh, NE or Houston is just asking way too much for the next couple years.

We beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. We beat THAT offense.

Who in the AFC really makes me hide in the corner of my room in the fetal position? NOBODY. (Okay well a few could be scary)

But, at the same time this team is young and topsy turvy so who knows. And injuries never help.

Thats the beauty of this Colts team. They play with house money. We can lose or win any game.

before reggie wayne leaves we have a good shot next year depending on draft. I expect the to have wheating playing the collie role next year with hilton and avery going deep and reggie. Then with an improved oline and a couple power run stoppers we will be right where when need to be to go 13-3 and get a first round bye.