Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians said Luck played like a rookie at times today

krunk

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Instant_Access_Jets_Coach_Arians/d44eb13d-0129-44b6-858d-11203d753e72

The line gave up four sacks, but I felt during the game some of those sacks could have been avoided if Luck got rid of the ball. Also I felt he could have done a better job recognizing pressures today. The one I clearly remember was the slot corner blitz the Jets did. I really felt like that was one he should have recognized and threw hot on. I couldn't figure out why he didn't see it.

http://www.colts.com...8d-11203d753e72

The line gave up four sacks, but I felt during the game some of those sacks could have been avoided if Luck got rid of the ball. Also I felt he could have done a better job recognizing pressures today. The one I clearly remember was the slot corner blitz the Jets did. I really felt like that was one he should have recognized and threw hot on. I couldn't figure out why he didn't see it.

There were several bad decisions, but we do have to remember that he IS a rookie. Arians has to accept some of the blame for not putting him in 'safer' sets too. I hate that empty backfield set, nothing good comes from it. Plus the WRs weren't helping him out much today either.

We all knew this was going to be a year for growing pains. Let's enjoy the start of something that's going to be great.

...probably because its his 5th game in the NFL

You cant just thrown the ball into the ground..you have to assume the line can hold..and stand in there

Luck made some quick decisons and more than one was bad...but all QBs do that when they get heat

Luck's awesome sometimes so we forget he is a rookie and will be up and down. He will balance out....eventually.

I think it's not so much we forget he's a rookie I think sometimes we forget what we should honestly expect from a rookie because we have been so spoiled by watching Peyton for years and Luck has played so well.

I know Luck had a bad game today overall. But he'll learn from it and be better for it. I'm not worried about Luck at all.. But I am worried about our o-line and d-line both looked horrendous today that's a very big concern. So unless that changes we are only going to win about 4 games this season.

Well...He's a rookie himself playing with another rookie wideout, two rookie tight ends, a virtually non-existent running game and an offensive line that can't pass or run block effectively. Quite honestly, It's a wonder he's looked as good as he has thus far.

Luck found himself placed under constant duress today by a team that previously could not even generate a decent pass rush. As a result, he hurried his throws more than usual and had difficulty completing passes to his receivers. Rex Ryan's defense taught young Mr. Luck some tough lessons today. But he will learn from it and get better. Today was an ugly but necessary part of Luck's development. He'll be fine.

Well...He's a rookie himself playing with another rookie wideout, two rookie tight ends, a virtually non-existent running game and an offensive line that can't pass or run block effectively. Quite honestly, It's a wonder he's looked as good as he has thus far.

Luck found himself placed under constant duress today by a team that previously could not even generate a decent pass rush. As a result, he hurried his throws more than usual and had difficulty completing passes to his receivers. Rex Ryan's defense taught young Mr. Luck some tough lessons today. But he will learn from it and get better. Today was an ugly but necessary part of Luck's development. He'll be fine.

Today kinda reminded me of Manning's first roadtrip to New England his rookie year when he couldn't do ANYTHING. I think all rookie QBs are going to have games like today. Like you said he'll learn from it and get better. It's a process and this is a process that is going to take three to four years to fully develop not three to four weeks. I think we should just keep being thrilled that he's been as good as he has been already and understand games like today are going to happen at times this season. This whole team has growing to do.

Arians summed it up in his postgame press conference in regards to our whole team today, if you cant block and stop the run and breakdown on fundamentals you cant win bottom line is we just have to get through this season and to the draft to get some real talent in some obvious areas

I couldn't understand why he didn't take off and run more today. There were a couple 3rd and shorts where he would move up in the pocket but instead of just running for the first down and extending those drives he tried forcing the ball to receivers that weren't open. His ”touch” is off on his passes but thats something he'll figure out sooner rather than later.

the sooner Arians contract is up the better its that simple, I am tired of seeing Allen lined up as a Fullback just put a REAL FB in there so we can use Allen more in the passing game, tired of passing on 3rd and short and stop with the empty backfield, does Arians really think we have the O Line talent to do that as much as we do?

the sooner Arians contract is up the better its that simple, I am tired of seeing Allen lined up as a Fullback just put a REAL FB in there so we can use Allen more in the passing game, tired of passing on 3rd and short and stop with the empty backfield, does Arians really think we have the O Line talent to do that as much as we do?

No he doesn't which is why he isn't pounding it into the line there because he doesn't think he has a line that can block to get a first down. At least by putting the ball into Luck's hands he feels like they have a chance because Luck has proven he can make things happen. I do wish they would line up more out of the I at least in those situations so teams would at least have to think the run is coming.

With that said calling for any coaches head five games into his first season with a team is too soon let alone one where the team is clearly rebuilding and the situation the Colts are in with Pagano.

I know the Colts want to be more balanced and frankly they tried to be more balanced this year than in recent years but the line just isn't there yet to run block. The games where they haven't been behind and where time hasn't been a factor they have tried to run it. Even today they were still trying to run the ball into the fourth quarter. It wasn't happening. 2.4 YPC is not good enough and when you are down 21-6 you can't just pound the ball into the line hoping something will finally break.

The only game where they have had the lead most of the way is the Vikings game and in that game they had almost perfect balance and frankly stuck with the run even when it was not working in the second half. So they will run the ball but when they are behind by a large number of points like they have been in the Bears, Jets, and Packers game it's hard to stick with the run because score and time forces you to go to the air. Frankly in the Packers game they did a great job of not completely going away from the run given the time and score and were rewarded for it with by far their best running game of the season. If you want to see them run the ball more though they need to stop getting down by scores of like 21-3 and 21-6 at halftime like they have been the past two weeks and most importantly it has to produce when they go to it.

This is the NFL education of Andrew Luck....

It happens to everyone. I know RG3 is doing better, but the circumstances are not the same.

I think we've all seen enough of Andrew to have some idea of what's coming down the road.

I'm here to say there's much more coming. You've only seen a small portion of what he's capable of. The tip of the iceberg...

It's just a matter of time. As I said about Polian in another thread, with Andrew, it's not a matter of 'if'... but a matter of 'when'....

That **** empty set is going to be our downfall, and Arians is in love with it, particularly on 1st downs. We went empty 10 times yesterday and only had 3 completions with a net gain of 15 yards. 1 of them was a completion for - 5 yards (bubble screen), another was a 7 yard completion to Fleener on 1st down, and the other was a 13 yard completion to Brazil on 1st down (bubble screen). Of the 7 other plays, 1 resulted in a sack, 1 resulted in an interception in the endzone and the other 5 were incomplete passes.

Arians needs to get his head out of his you know what and stop calling games like he's playing madden.

The past few games he would take off and run for a first down. Yesterday, he could have run for it, but flipped incomplete passes.

Don't know why he gave up running.

Arghhh....I hate to do this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5SfBUhtyk

Read, recognize instantly that you have nothing on the pass, instantly recognize that you have something on foot and execute.

The announcers were wrong. That WAS NOT a designed draw.