Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will we unleash our TEs?

BProland85

When, if at all this season, will Fleener and Allen be unleashed as RECEIVING weapons? I know its just week 2, but they have been underused, especially Allen. Dwayne has been given the responsibility of blocking more, but at some point he needs to be used as a receiver since he is better there.

I think Luck could get rid of the ball much quicker if we simply had both Allen and Fleener on the field as receivers along with Wayne and Avery/Hilton.

Didn't Allen catch a TD on Sunday? That doesn't count as being involved?

1 catch for 3 yards isn't really involved even if you take into account it was a TD, Fleener has been involved though 8 catches in two games dont remember him being targeted in the end zone off the top of my head though without looking at the games again, I think given the aggressiveness of the Jags Linebackers (mainly Posluzny) we can use that against them and force there safeties to cover our Tight Ends or there Linebackers to, also we have to be able to run the ball enough not for a ton of yards but enough times to keep there Linebackers creeping up we have to keep them off balance also I found this on the Jags site (10 things the Jags must do to beat the Colts)http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Ten-Things/34727544-84e8-4393-a832-b6c0fabc1dbc

I'm pretty sure they're running routes. It's just that they're young and not extremely adept at finding holes in the coverage and/or beating their man. Plus Luck is still young and probably isn't processing the reads as fast as he will in the future. They'll learn. Rookies rarely make huge impacts that we as fans project them to.

1 catch for 3 yards isn't really involved even if you take into account it was a TD, Fleener has been involved though 8 catches in two games dont remember him being targeted in the end zone off the top of my head though without looking at the games again, I think given the aggressiveness of the Jags Linebackers (mainly Posluzny) we can use that against them and force there safeties to cover our Tight Ends or there Linebackers to, also we have to be able to run the ball enough not for a ton of yards but enough times to keep there Linebackers creeping up we have to keep them off balance also I found this on the Jags site (10 things the Jags must do to beat the Colts)http://www.jaguars.c...32-b6c0fabc1dbc

I look for more of the playbook to be used this Sunday. Outside of Rasheed Mathis & Dawan Landry, their Secondary isn't that good. But their LB's are definitely the strong point of that Defense. Play Actions, Screens, & Draws will probably be used by Arians more on Sunday hopefully

Did I miss the part where Fleener caught 6 passes last Sunday for more than 80 yards?

Catch 6 passes a game, that's 96 in season.

Catch 80 yards a game, that's nearly 1300 yards per season.

And that was in game 2.

Did I miss the part where 96/1300 for a season are lousy numbers? That's not to say Coby will get that every week. But that's to answer the poster who seems to think our TE's are not involved in the offense.

Allen has stayed in to mostly block for Luck. Our OL is terrible and for right now, Allen's ability to block is desperately needed. He also did catch a TD pass in game #2.

What am I missing here? It's two weeks into a 16 game schedule. You'll see plenty of TE involvement during the season and plenty more in the years to come. Really!

When, if at all this season, will Fleener and Allen be unleashed as RECEIVING weapons? I know its just week 2, but they have been underused, especially Allen. Dwayne has been given the responsibility of blocking more, but at some point he needs to be used as a receiver since he is better there.

I think Luck could get rid of the ball much quicker if we simply had both Allen and Fleener on the field as receivers along with Wayne and Avery/Hilton.

Allen was very good against college kids, but he dropped because he was slow enough it indicated he would have trouble getting separation at the NFL level.

We will see.

when Arians feels comfortable leaving 5-6 man protections regulary is when you will see both making an impact receiving on a more regular basis. I dont expect Arians to get that comfortable until halfway through the season. Until then you will continue to see Allen and Fleener blocking and chipping. Allen can get involved real easy on the vaunted Spider 2 Y banana play Luck and Gruden made famous.

Baby steps... very young O. I bet Indy comes out of the bye against GB firing on all cylinders (NO HUDDLE). If the OL is there.

I am waiting for the Fleener deep routs but the OL is just not good enough. And until Luck can drop back and not be on the run from the get go then .... No long routs.. but for busted plays.

I am very happy where this team is currently. Win against Jax and Indy is 2-1 !!!!!!!!!! YIPPPPEEEE

The NFL is a QB driven league... Indy has one.

As sson as Fleener can start catching passes.

Did I miss the part where Fleener caught 6 passes last Sunday for more than 80 yards?

And that was in game 2.

Did I miss the part where 96/1300 for a season are lousy numbers? That's not to say Coby will get that every week. But that's to answer the poster who seems to think our TE's are not involved in the offense.

Allen has stayed in to mostly block for Luck. Our OL is terrible and for right now, Allen's ability to block is desperately needed. He also did catch a TD pass in game #2.

What am I missing here? It's two weeks into a 16 game schedule. You'll see plenty of TE involvement during the season and plenty more in the years to come. Really!

IMO, the poster isnt bashing Fleener or Allen. Fleeners catches seem to come in spurts during certain offensive possessions where as Wayne and Avery have been targeted the entire span of a game. That makes it look like Fleener is involved 5-6 minutes of a game and non existent the other 55

I think it has to do with the o-line..and maybe something called protection too.

My point is though that we wont need the extra blocker in (Allen) if Luck is able to get rid of the ball quicker. Allen is a good route runner and can get open underneath giving Luck a quick option if he needs it.

And that was in game 2.

??? What?

Fleener caught all that in Game 1, in game 2 he had 2 catches for 16 yards. Thats what 8 catches for 96 yards for the season?? Which isnt bad but definitely NOT on par for your estimation.

IMO, the poster isnt bashing Fleener or Allen. Fleeners catches seem to come in spurts during certain offensive possessions where as Wayne and Avery have been targeted the entire span of a game. That makes it look like Fleener is involved 5-6 minutes of a game and non existent the other 55

I know the poster is not bashing Fleener and Allen.

He's bashing the Colt's offense. And I simply wonder.... why?

??? What?

Fleener caught all that in Game 1, in game 2 he had 2 catches for 16 yards. Thats what 8 catches for 96 yards for the season?? Which isnt bad but definitely NOT on par for your estimation.

Thanks for the catch. Sorry, bad typo on my part. And as I stated in my post, I'm not expecting 6/80+ every game...

Ultimately my point is we're just two games into a 16 game schedule.... and we're hampered by a terrible OL that necessitates Allen running less pass patterns and staying in and blocking more.

Patience.... it will take some time to work things out.....

(thanks again for catching my typo. surprised no one did before!)

We can't unleash them u have to notice something about all good te in the league they play on competent lines

We have been using them fleener had the second most catches and targets in the bears game for any colt and Allen caught a td in the Vikings game. They are rookies too so they need sometime to learn the NFL game too and it doesn't help Allen that due to the poor shape of our oline we are having to keep him in to block.

We have been using them fleener had the second most catches and targets in the bears game for any colt and Allen caught a td in the Vikings game. They are rookies too so they need sometime to learn the NFL game too and it doesn't help Allen that due to the poor shape of our oline we are having to keep him in to block.

You call ONE catch for Allen using him in the recieving game??? I made this post more focused on Allen not Fleener. Fleener has been targeted, but Allen has been primarily used in blocking.

You call ONE catch for Allen using him in the recieving game??? I made this post more focused on Allen not Fleener. Fleener has been targeted, but Allen has been primarily used in blocking.

Well since he has to be in the receiving game to catch it yes, also he's one of three guys right now that has caught a TD so I wouldn't just dismiss that. Fleener or Allen are not any where close to finished products and as the season goes along I would expect them to be used more right now they are rookies having to get their feet wet too it'll take sometime. I also acknowledged that Allen has been kept in to block when I said it doesn't help Allen that due to the poor shape of our o-line we are having to keep him into block.

I dont think youre going to see Allen utilized alot in the passing game for quite a while due to the horrific pass protection. Im guessing he'll be used to help out with pass blocking alot this season when he's on the field for passing downs.

Um Fleener has been targeted and runs a lot of routes, Allens role is partly blocking and receiving. In the passing game he won't be running far down field, why would he, he's not that fast. Hes kinda like a possesion receiver in the passing game. You'll see him as a short yardage and redone threat.

And get used to him moving from FB to TE or vice versa , before the snap. This offense is going to use motion to confuse the defense.

Im just gonna assume he will be targeted some more as everyone grows into there roles on offense more because if not lets be honest it would be a waste of a 3rd round pick if we were just going to use him to block when we could have drafted a true blocking Tight End later, I bet they have more plans for him then that at least for Arians job security in the future I hope so, the touchdown Allen got is a small indicator in my opinion Arians has more plans for him other then to block, with that said the combination of Heath Miller and David Johnson last year had 63 receptions combined with 51 of those going to Miller