Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select NC State RB Nyheim Hines

MTC

I think this guy will play for us and play well. l saw someone earlier say he had durability issues; not sure where that comes from. He was NC state's main runner last year. He's tough. I watched him take a couple of big hits and bounce right back up. He's a good running back; patient behind blocks, good vision. He doesn't really show the finishing speed you'd think of after running a 4.38; but he's plenty fast. Catches the ball well. One thing I noticed is that he doesn't always see the safety tracking him on long runs. 

this guy's good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

3 inches and 5 pounds. How close do you have to get?

Lol exactly I’m simply trying to understand why people say he can’t be a rb who he runs between the tackles yet someone smaller can ?  I mean if it’s there I’d assume if he has the “vision” he’ll go between the tackles 

1 minute ago, Gigc said:

I think this guy will play for us and play well. l saw someone earlier say he had durability issues; not sure where that comes from. He was NC state's main runner last year. He's tough. I watched him take a couple of big hits and bounce right back up. He's a good running back; patient behind blocks, good vision. He doesn't really show the finishing speed you'd think of after running a 4.38; but he's plenty fast. Catches the ball well. One thing I noticed is that he doesn't always see the safety tracking him on long runs. 

this guy's good. 

Durability issues was made up because someone misread NFL.com draft profile where they said if he doesnt learn to sidestep he could face durability issues.

1 minute ago, will426 said:

So he’s 5’11 and 210 compared to Freeman’s 5’8 205 yet people say he can’t become an inbetween the tackles kind of back because he’s too small I’m lost lol 

If we're talking about Mack, his size isn't the problem...    it's his style of running...

He naturally, instinctively wants to run outside..   he tries to hit a home run every play.   He's not nearly as comfortable running between the tackles...  it's not what he does well.   Can he get better at it?   We're about to find out this year...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A lot.   For a running back, those bodies are not close.   

Plus, their running styles are different.   Freeman us very comfortable running between the tackles...   Mack isn't..  at least not yet...

These two are not interchangeable..

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If we're talking about Mack, his size isn't the problem...    it's his style of running...

He naturally, instinctively wants to run outside..   he tries to hit a home run every play.   He's not nearly as comfortable running between the tackles...  it's not what he does well.   Can he get better at it?   We're about to find out this year...

I slightly agree with you I just was trying to understand why people say he “can’t” do this & also yeah coming out of college he was known to run to the outside when he landed  with us i didn’t see him try and bounce to the outside many times..he simply got stopped trying to run up the middle  his best runs seemed to come from running to the outside as well  though we don’t utilize outside runs often and for some reason when we did gore got them haha 

Anybody who was complaining about Mack’s hands and wanting a receiving RB option should be happy with this. Also anybody who wanted Dion Lewis, who he reminds me of. I think this guy could thrive in Reich’s offense.

Personally I don’t really care even if he was a lot like Mack, which I don’t think he really is.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, will426 said:

What do you mean though he’s not as light and small as everyone makes him up to be? He’s legit the same size as many backs who start in this league and the same size as some of the teams who run by committee.. I will judge him behind a good line not the makeshift that we had I applaud Gore for his great Vision he made it work for this line lol

People carry weight differently. He has good size. But he looks smaller and plays like it too, when compared to other backs the same size. He's very streamlined and doesn't have a thick base. Only back I've seen that is streamlined but powerful is AP 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, will426 said:

Lol exactly I’m simply trying to understand why people say he can’t be a rb who he runs between the tackles yet someone smaller can ?  I mean if it’s there I’d assume if he has the “vision” he’ll go between the tackles 

Mack arrived with a well earned reputation if not liking running between the tackles and also wanting to bounce everything outside.    

He he tries to avoid contact.   That's fine some if the time...   but it's not goodbmost of the time..   because there's a ton of contact between the tackles...

32 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Huh???  Wow...I'm trying my best to stay positive about this draft.

31 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Crappy pick guys has durability issues

Lots of Mocks done by the media talking heads had us taking him, a couple had us taking him in the third...

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

WOW! This is... a very interesting pick. I kind of didn't expect it because we already have Mack playing similar role, but... very very intriguing! He's more of a... wide-ranging weapon than a simple RB. He used to be a receiver... he can be moved anywhere on the LOS and he can run WR routes... he catches the ball real well. 

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

By far the best RB left in the draft on day 3. We did well.

I agree, seems to have a chip on his shoulders too. I was watching an interview with him yesterday. Seemed to be a little chippy. I like this one, second favorite pick of the draft for us so far

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You can do a lot with 4.3

and he's humble!

Not a problem with what he said.  It's factually accurate and a lot of players will tell you they are the best player at their position in the draft.  He just said he was the fastest.

20 minutes ago, MTC said:

People always complain about a pick no matter who the player is. How about some of you wait a few seasons before reserving judgment that this is a 'bad' pick? 

That would make a lot of sense,  but unfortunately it is not a possibility for some of the posters here.

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That is quite a difference. A 5 8" 205 lb back is a lot sturdier and dense than a 5 11" 210 back. And just by looking at them, you can tell who's better built to run between the tackles. 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

He is nothing like Mack so... blather on.

Last time I checked this was a public message board in a free country where people offer opinions on things. Those opinions won't always agree with others. But thank you for your permission to allow me to blather on. I appreciate it.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree...he isn’t instinctive to get up in the hole and not patient. Plus he kinda runs high in his pads imo. Defenses will key on him constantly bouncing it outside and force him back in...that said defenders constantly underestimated his speed to get to the corner.

• Like 1