Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Morris

TKnight24

As I've stated, I'm not the only one pulling for Morris to start. But knowing the Colts, Tolzien will probably start from here on out until Luck returns (if he returns)

Morris will probably be 2nd fiddle, then be cut when Luck is healthy unless Ballard actually keeps 3 QB's on the roster. I'd imagine Walker is headed to the PS or just to another team all together

19 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

What would it hurt to put Morris in with the 1s in a preseason and see how it goes?

He was the only QB to lead a TD drive last week.

That alone I feel should warrant a start. That's production and is that not what we're looking for from pre-season? 

You can't preach competition, have someone clearly win the day then stick with the same formula. Just doesn't make sense 

10 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

That alone I feel should warrant a start. That's production and is that not what we're looking for from pre-season? 

You can't preach competition, have someone clearly win the day then stick with the same formula. Just doesn't make sense 

I agree.  I know he was going against the weakest competition when he was in, but he may be the only Colt QB who's led the team on a scoring drive in every preseason game he's been in.

I also know they want to give Tolzein all the prep work, just in case.  But I still think Morris gives the team the best chance in that situation too.  Maybe we'll be surprised and he'll get some work with the 1's on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:
32 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

What would it hurt to put Morris in with the 1s in a preseason and see how it goes?

He was the only QB to lead a TD drive last week.

The coaches obviously see something different then fans do.  Tolzein pretty much looks like he has the job in his hands.  I am not disagreeing with you and Morris should play but Tolzein will definitely be getting the snaps with the 1's to help prepare for LA.  The coaches seem to not be a fan of Morris is how it looks to me.  I feel like the coaches think Walker has potential or something and since hes a rookie gave him more time last week.  He struggled so hopefully those snaps go to Morris now.  

I'd like to see more of what Walker can do, he looks like a guy that had some potential, he didn't have a bad game.. If anything I'd like for Walker to surpass Tolzien, I see more of a chance of that happening than Morris starting.  

Neither option is great in my opinion but I'd rather see Morris or Walker instead of Tolzein.  I know Tolzein has the experience(even though he's never won a regular season game) but I think Morris and Walker have more overall talent.  I am very optimistic about Luck returning for week 1 or week 2 at the latest.  I would think if he was going to miss a decent amount of games that the organization would bring in another vet QB but I could be wrong?  I also don't know who is available.  I am staying optimistic Luck will be there week 1.

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Neither option is great in my opinion but I'd rather see Morris or Walker instead of Tolzein.  I know Tolzein has the experience(even though he's never won a regular season game) but I think Morris and Walker have more overall talent.  I am very optimistic about Luck returning for week 1 or week 2 at the latest.  I would think if he was going to miss a decent amount of games that the organization would bring in another vet QB but I could be wrong?  I also don't know who is available.  I am staying optimistic Luck will be there week 1.

BC I agree as well. I'm not saying Morris is the next great thing, everyone on this forum knows that this team needs Luck to even be relevant but Morris gives us the best chance to at least compete 

Just my opinion though 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I'm not passing judgement just because Morris drove us down against 3rd stringers. There were a lot of factors that led to bad start mostly due to missing Kelly and haeg. 

But it should be the competition they're preaching. 

All these other teams with QB competitions are rewarding the better guys. Kizer moved up for the Browns, I'm sure Tribusky will move up for Chicago 

It just doesn't feel like an open competition with the Colts. Feels like no matter how awful, Tolzien is gonna start & that's not right 

Pagano just said no one should feel safe but yet they keep throwing Tolzien out there.

Whether it was against 3rd string or 1st string, the fact remains Morris was responsible for our only TD 

Whenever I watch Tolzien play the only thing I see is a player who has hit his ceiling. 

With morris I see potential to at least be a competent back up. I'm rooting for Morris myself. Hopefully Ballard sees what everyone else does, or maybe he sees something we don't? Either way I think Morris needs more playing time. 

2 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

But it should be the competition they're preaching. 

All these other teams with QB competitions are rewarding the better guys. Kizer moved up for the Browns, I'm sure Tribusky will move up for Chicago 

It just doesn't feel like an open competition with the Colts. Feels like no matter how awful, Tolzien is gonna start & that's not right 

Pagano just said no one should feel safe but yet they keep throwing Tolzien out there.

Whether it was against 3rd string or 1st string, the fact remains Morris was responsible for our only TD 

Morris may have scored a TD vs 3rd string guys, but he was also playing alongside 3rd string guys. 

Unless Morris or Walker dominates against the 2nd or 3rd string I want Tolzien starting for us if Luck is out in the regular season. His play against the Steelers last year justifies it.

It shows that with the entire playbook available and when it is adapted specifically for Tolzien, he can do things no one expected from him. I was definitely surprised with how he performed in that game.

Tolzien is also the only quarterback who has experience going against 1st string guys. People act like Morris is the second coming but he wasn't perfect in that preseason game regardless of leading the team to a touchdown. He has some horrible throws and at least one near interception.

Matt Hasselbeck looked horrible in preseason for us and then went out and actually won games and Tolzien looked similar last year. 

So with all that being said, unless the coaching staff has the faith to start Morris or Walker and they show the capability to stand out with starters in preseason, I don't want either of those guys starting week 1.

I think it's time to give up the Philip Walker experiment. At least for this year. Lock the top 3 in Luck, Tolzien and Morris, then give Morris a ton of snaps on Sunday and next week. We need to see him more. He deserved it.

As far as naming him as #2 behind Luck, I'm holding my breath though. Morris was fine on sunday. He passed my eye test, the guy can play. On the other hand, from a backup QB, I either want to see something "special" (freakish athleticism, exceptionally good foot movement, throwing motion, etc.) to say "this guy worth a try", or I want the guy who is more experienced. Knows the playbook better, comfortable with the system, doesn't need his own playbook, etc. When teams open their playbook, actually do game plan for sunday, then, - unless, as I said, the guy has something special to offer - these things do matter. You won't be able to half time adjust, if the guy only knows the 2 scripted drives and the 20 other plays you practiced on Friday. You need your guy to follow you if you change routing/blocking concepts because the one you prepared with, is neutralized by the opposing defense. For a backup QB, these are more important traits than physical abilities, moveability, etc. Unless, those abilities are off the charts. Morris's are not.

So, yeah. I'll be watching Morris closely, I'll root for the guy. Who knows, he may indeed be the guy of the future for us. But I will leave this on Pagano/Chud. They should know who to pick.

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Whenever I watch Tolzien play the only thing I see is a player who has hit his ceiling. 

With morris I see potential to at least be a competent back up. I'm rooting for Morris myself. Hopefully Ballard sees what everyone else does, or maybe he sees something we don't? Either way I think Morris needs more playing time. 

By everyone else I'm guessing you mean fans? It seems the staff have Walker ahead of Morris. How long did Morris go without practice snaps? My question is why we don't get rid of Morris and bring in a guy capable of challenging an UDFA? 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck cant go, I would start Morris on opening day.

Have you seen Ryan Nassib? I know it's only been one preseason game, but he looked like a backup that would help the Colts...He has great foot movement in the pocket and was under heavy pressure most of the preseason game vs Cleveland. I think he would help the Colts since he's used to moving around under a shaky o-line. But then again, it was just one preseason game and I might be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Synthetic said:

Have you seen Ryan Nassib? I know it's only been one preseason game, but he looked like a backup that would help the Colts...He has great foot movement in the pocket and was under heavy pressure most of the preseason game vs Cleveland. I think he would help the Colts since he's used to moving around under a shaky o-line. But then again, it was just one preseason game and I might be wrong. 

I actually haven't. I need to look him up.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually haven't. I need to look him up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_IPO4iox8E

He looked good in this preseason game with the Saints. If he has a few more impressive preseason games, I reckon someone may trade for him. 

I'm really hoping Tommy Lee makes the Saints over Ted Ginn Jr cause he looks promising. 

23 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_IPO4iox8E

He looked good in this preseason game with the Saints. If he has a few more impressive preseason games, I reckon someone may trade for him. 

I'm really hoping Tommy Lee makes the Saints over Ted Ginn Jr cause he looks promising. 

Tommy Lee can drum too :thmup:

I'm not disagreeing on Morris. He is the only one that can make something happen. However, I do think Tolzien played a respectable game against Pitt last year. He had poise. It's a tough call. They should both get 1st team reps in the next few games (in my opinion).

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tommy Lee can drum too :thmup:

So can Stephen Morris! lmaolmaolmao

Wow, I completely did not realize it at first. You have a player that shares the name with Stephen Morris, the drummer for Joy Division and New Order. My favorite 80's Post Punk drummer and I didn't notice until now. lmao

2 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

So can Stephen Morris! lmaolmaolmao

Wow, I completely did not realize it at first. You have a player that shares the name with Stephen Morris, the drummer for Joy Division and New Order. My favorite 80's Post Punk drummer and I didn't notice until now. lmao

I tried to give you a LIKE but am out, that is too funny. Great stuff!

19 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

As I've stated, I'm not the only one pulling for Morris to start. But knowing the Colts, Tolzien will probably start from here on out until Luck returns (if he returns)

Morris will probably be 2nd fiddle, then be cut when Luck is healthy unless Ballard actually keeps 3 QB's on the roster. I'd imagine Walker is headed to the PS or just to another team all together

We're going with Tolzien..

Everybody loves the QB who is not playing

Tolzien is our backup QB.  It wont be Morris and it shouldn't be.

From what I've seen this year and last year, Morris is not good.  he carries the ball too low, he lacks anticipation on when a WR will get open, his delivery is slow (he winds up his arm a lot).

That being said, none of the other Colts QBs are any good either.  IMO the back-up QB situation is worse for the Colts now than when they had the combination of Curtis "I can't throw the ball against real defenders"Painter, Kerry "The Statue" Collins and Dan "No Field awareness" Orlovosky.

Sign Ponder or even Manziel and get someone back there than can throw the football.

We can't see each and every day of practice, so who knows what the coaching staff sees. However, in actual preseason game time both this season and last, Morris has clearly outperformed Tolzien. Morris also looks to have better physical attributes in terms of throwing power and mobility. He does seem more erratic than Tolzien, but that is partly because he seems to take greater risks while Tolzien likes to play it safe and minimize mistakes.

For our team, Morris gives us a better chance to win IMO. We need to take risks on offense because we don't have a good defense. If we had the Texans, Chiefs, or Seahawks' defenses on the other side of the ball and we could afford to play safe ball on offense, maybe you go with Tolzien. With our current situation I think Morris should play, and his continued superior performances to Tolzien I think warrant giving him a shot with the 1s to see how he does.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, Dudley Smith said:

We can't see each and every day of practice, so who knows what the coaching staff sees. However, in actual preseason game time both this season and last, Morris has clearly outperformed Tolzien. Morris also looks to have better physical attributes in terms of throwing power and mobility. He does seem more erratic than Tolzien, but that is partly because he seems to take greater risks while Tolzien likes to play it safe and minimize mistakes.

For our team, Morris gives us a better chance to win IMO. We need to take risks on offense because we don't have a good defense. If we had the Texans, Chiefs, or Seahawks' defenses on the other side of the ball and we could afford to play safe ball on offense, maybe you go with Tolzien. With our current situation I think Morris should play, and his continued superior performances to Tolzien I think warrant giving him a shot with the 1s to see how he does.

Yes, I'm surprised nobody has committed on this performance. Morris should definitely be the starter at this point until Luck comes back without a doubt. But I do want to see him against the ones.