Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim S Tyvis Powell from Browns

Steamboat_Shaun

17 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm just not getting a good feeling about Geathers at this point.

I hadn't thought about that, but now that I do, it does make me a little nervous.  I'm still hoping that this is just a move where they add a talented guy to the roster instead of reading into it too deeply.

Side note: Powell through out the first pitch at a recent Indians game despite being cut by the Browns just a few hours earlier haha

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Now if we could only round out the CB depth some more.

I'm with ya....

I''m guessing that when they cut from 90-53 we're either going to claim someone as a free agent,  or will throw a mid-or late round pick at some team in a trade for someone....

Hard for me to see the Colts starting the season with the corners we have on the roster right now...

There has to be someone else....

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Be as optimistic as you want but common sense says that Geather's career is in jeapordy if not already close to being done. 

I'm assuming he doesn't play this season. Have been since we heard about the surgery. I'm not speculating about his long term prospects, there's a lot of steps between now and then. 

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm with ya....

I''m guessing that when they cut from 90-53 we're either going to claim someone as a free agent,  or will throw a mid-or late round pick at some team in a trade for someone....

Hard for me to see the Colts starting the season with the corners we have on the roster right now...

There has to be someone else....

Not saying you are wrong, but I'm thinking Davis, Wilson, Melvin, Morris, Hairston, occasionally D butts, isn't too horrible.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm assuming he doesn't play this season. Have been since we heard about the surgery. I'm not speculating about his long term prospects, there's a lot of steps between now and then. 

Could he be the 2017 version of 2006 Bob sanders in terms of coming back late in the season from injury and sparking the team? Time will tell. Stay tuned on Days of our Colts

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I hadn't thought about that, but now that I do, it does make me a little nervous.  I'm still hoping that this is just a move where they add a talented guy to the roster instead of reading into it too deeply.

Side note: Powell through out the first pitch at a recent Indians game despite being cut by the Browns just a few hours earlier haha

Maybe they are looking at giving Green more competition. I really don't think he will ever make it. Ok have at it!

More about Powell who was on Seattle's PS roster for all of 2016.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that the Jets "really wanted" UDFA Ohio State S Tyvis Powell, who ultimately signed with the Seahawks.

By any metric, Powell was one of the very best UDFAs in this year's crop. (2016)   Seattle ended up winning the bidding war for his services, probably pitching their acumen with big, toolsy safeties. Powell (6'3/211) had a tremendous Combine, running a 4.46 with a 34 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot broad jump. "Powell possesses the computer numbers to start on Sunday and has shown flashes of ability but needs to be more consistent and round out his game," Pauline wrote in his scouting report. Fri, May 6, 2016 03:03:00 PM

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

For sure for that first part. But I have a gut feeling it's being highly recommended to him to quit playing while he still has his fully mobile life. 

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

so we sign a depth safety and all of the sudden it means geathers career is over? lets take the doom and gloom down a peg

i think theres a decent chance we've either seen the last of clay, or he wont be around much longer

hope im wrong, hes got the talent to play in the league and could be pretty good

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I highlighted him as a target soon as I saw him get released.  It just made sense. Ballhawk with good size and speed. Needs to work on the physicality but good guy for competition and depth.

You and me both. The connection to Dobbs had me convinced we'd sign him

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

so we sign a depth safety and all of the sudden it means geathers career is over? lets take the doom and gloom down a peg

I don't think it's related.  A lot of felt his career was in jeopardy when we read about his injury.   Definitely doesn't translate to his game.  

I hope he returns, but only if he's completely safe to do so.  

Starting 8 games as a rookie in Seattle is impressive when you remember that Pete Carrol won't let you play unless his staff is confident that you can be counted on to wrap guys up & bring them down with authority. 

That's what INDY needs: Thumpers on defense & the secondary. Powell should be a nice addition here. I like it. 

I'm correcting myself here....

Earlier, in another post,  I wrote that Powell spent all of the 2016 season on the Practice Squad of Seattle

WRONG!!              :facepalm:

Tutrns out he actually played in 8 games for the Seahawks.    Good.     He's got some seasoning.      I don't know why Cleveland cut him so early,   but I'm perfectly willing to take a good long look at home.     Costs us nothing and perhaps we get lucky and the light goes on for him...

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but I'm thinking Davis, Wilson, Melvin, Morris, Hairston, occasionally D butts, isn't too horrible.

I'm with you don't see the problem at CB. It's clear the staff likes Melvin. He and Morris have experience in the league and in our system. I hope Milton took a step forward. 

Ballard isn't afraid to run with the youngsters and I think he's set to do just that. As we've seen if someone is there he thinks will help there is no hesitation bringing them in. That could happen at CB but don't be shocked if it doesn't 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

It might signal something but it's also very possible it means nothing.  It's a guy claimed off waivers.  Not necessarily a big deal.  

That said I can understand the nervousness around Geathers.  Neck injuries can be pretty serious things.

I suppose we will wait and see. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm correcting myself here....

Earlier, in another post,  I wrote that Powell spent all of the 2016 season on the Practice Squad of Seattle

WRONG!!              :facepalm:

Tutrns out he actually played in 8 games for the Seahawks.    Good.     He's got some seasoning.      I don't know why Cleveland cut him so early,   but I'm perfectly willing to take a good long look at home.     Costs us nothing and perhaps we get lucky and the light goes on for him...

They drafted Jabrill Peppers, plus they have their draft pick from a couple years ago in Ibrahim Campbell.  The kid from Northwestern. They also recently acquired Calvin Pryor.    I assume there wasn't enough room.

Hopefully Clayton will recover and play all of this year.  I've speculated on his surgery and possible ramifications before, but hopefully he just needs time to recover and regain strength.  That said, I believe Powell adds more depth at safety.  He may or may not make the 53 man roster.