Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade up for McCaffrey?

Here's another crazy thought. So, to get Mccaffrey, you'd have to move up to at least 7, because almost everyone thinks that Carolina is going to take him at 8.

So then, Jonathon Allen falls because of stories about arhritic shoulders.

THEN WHAT? 

Do you snag Jonathon Allen? hoo-dog

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Everybody knows how I feel about drafting RBs early in the draft. 

But I really, really like McCaffrey, and think he's exactly the kind of back we need. If I were running the draft for the Colts, I'd be so conflicted. I am 99% sure I would not draft him in the first round, but that 1% is a very dominant 1%.

So many people would own his jersey if the Colts were to draft him, I don't even think there's any question.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So many people would own his jersey if the Colts were to draft him, I don't even think there's any question.

Only casual fans that don't know % about football a few on here would prolly do it and a few people that actually know football might 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Everybody knows how I feel about drafting RBs early in the draft. 

But I really, really like McCaffrey, and think he's exactly the kind of back we need. If I were running the draft for the Colts, I'd be so conflicted. I am 99% sure I would not draft him in the first round, but that 1% is a very dominant 1%.

Yep....there are few positions that value to the team is just not worth investing high in the draft on. It's why I was torn last year on drafting Kelly so high. Not that he isn't going to be a stud player but just the fact that his value over replacement level center isn't so great that taking say a center in rd 2 or 3 wouldn't also result in a starting caliber center likely or going out in free agency a starting level center wouldn't cost a fortune. It's how I feel about RB as well since their production above replacement isn't generally that great (meaning even the top backs yards above the avg starting back is not that significant) plus their careers generally are so much shorter..since their production drops off so fast. TE and safety I feel the same about as well. Granted each of those positions still have special players...game changers if you will....the Gronks and Kelces, the Macks and Pouncey's, the Ed Reeds and Bob Sanders, the APs and the Barry Sanders those type of players certainly are well above their replacement level and those you make exceptions and draft high. Hopefully Kelly is one of those type players and I think people believe McCaffery is going to be one of those type players as well. I don't see us giving up the capital to move up but I could understand why we might take him if he is there for us. All that said I agree I'm pretty sure we don't take him but the reasons why we might are pretty darn compelling.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Only casual fans that don't know % about football a few on here would prolly do it and a few people that actually know football might 

You're trying to tell me that if the Colts take a blue chip RB in the 1st round, only a handful of "casual" fans would buy his jersey?

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

its either fake news

or a smoke screen to encourage denver to trade with us

or its true.  take your pick

2 hours ago, stitches said:

How would this entice Denver to trade with us?

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Because they allegedly really like McCaffery too.

Ha, wouldn't that more than likely entice them to trade with Philly???

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You're trying to tell me that if the Colts take a blue chip RB in the 1st round, only a handful of "casual" fans would buy his jersey?

He's not blue chip to me bed not on Fournette's level or Mixon or say a tidd Gurley and Zeke 

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

People would likely buy the jersey of any blue chip player.  Doesn't need to be a blue chip RB who's way overvalued.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

People would likely buy the jersey of any blue chip player.  Doesn't need to be a blue chip RB who's way overvalued.  

Yeah, I'm not seeing the "overvalued" aspect of his game. It's very debatable whether or not the Colts should trade up for him, no doubt about that, but overrated or overvalued aren't the words I'd use to describe his skillset.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Year one,  He would sell a bunch of jerseys.  

Luck is the star.   I don't think the fans are going to warm up to McCaffrey like that unless he performs like Edgerrin James...which he won't.

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Agreed.  If we drafted Corey Davis at 15 and he had 3 good games out of the gate he'd sell just as many jerseys as McCaffrey would if he had 3 good games out of the gate.

I could see this happening.  Especially after the earlier reports of Ballard doing some inquiries about moving up.  I think it would take this years 1st. next years 2nd. and another pick from this year or a player (Moncrief or Dorsett)  to get to seven.  He is a blue chip talent with no injuries or off field drama and would be the missing piece to our offense.  I can also see us making more than one trade this draft.  This is going to be fun.  

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Luck is the star.   I don't think the fans are going to warm up to McCaffrey like that unless he performs like Edgerrin James...which he won't.

First,  You don't know if he will or not.

Two,  the first round pick always sells jerseys.  I saw werner and dorsett jerseys every game I went to last year

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

First,  You don't know if he will or not.

Two,  the first round pick always sells jerseys.  I saw werner and dorsett jerseys every game I went to last year

Oh.  I thought the idea being discussed was that McCaffrey would sell more Jerseys than any other offensive player picked.  I think Cook or Corey Davis would sell just as many...maybe more.

2 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I think he will succeed, but I don't think he merits a 1st round pick

Tough to know what to believe. One show you hear he could go before Fornette and the next show is different. We will know more tomorrow night.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh.  I thought the idea being discussed was that McCaffrey would sell more Jerseys than any other offensive player picked.  I think Cook or Corey Davis would sell just as many...maybe more.

I don't recall an anyone making that claim

29 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't recall an anyone making that claim

Steamboat said McCaffrey would sell Jersey's and Superman liked, towards the top of the page.

I assume he meant that McCaffrey would sell a lot of jersey's because he's McCaffrey and not simply because he's a first round pick.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Steamboat said McCaffrey would sell Jersey's and Superman liked, towards the top of the page.

I assume he meant that McCaffrey would sell a lot of jersey's because he's McCaffrey and not simply because he's a first round pick.

Yet no one said he would lead in Jersey sales.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

McCaffrey is a white RB...who also happened to go to Stanford. He will sell a ton of jerseys in Indy.

So if he wasn't white he wouldn't sell jerseys? I'm not sure what race has to do with it or why it always gets brought up. I'm sure Fournette and Cook would also sell a ton of jerseys in Indy....

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

So if he wasn't white he wouldn't sell jerseys? I'm not sure what race has to do with it or why it always gets brought up. I'm sure Fournette and Cook would also sell a ton of jerseys in Indy....

They absolutely would sell jerseys...but McCaffrey would sell more.