Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Detectacon said:

Curious what we offered him if all he took was 8 mil. Unless we wouldn't do a one year deal. 

I think that is exactly it. We wanted a multi year deal and he wanted the 1 year deal. What is with all these players wanting 1 year deals now?

2 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

I think that is exactly it. We wanted a multi year deal and he wanted the 1 year deal. What is with all these players wanting 1 year deals now?

They play beast mode just to get a megadeal offer next offseason. + the inevitable salary cap rise will tack on a couple extra million to the player's contract. Any under-performer should sign a one year deal if they want the best potential money. 

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

They play beast mode just to get a megadeal offer next offseason. + the inevitable salary cap rise will tack on a couple extra million to the player's contract. Any under-performer should sign a one year deal if they want the best potential money. 

Or they have a horrible season or get injured then what?

1 minute ago, GusBus24 said:

its a risk

thats why they call it betting on yourself

lots of players seem willing to take the risk these days, and like he said the salary cap going up every year plays into it

6 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

He's getting $8 million, he'll be okay. It seems most teams set up contracts so that they can get out of them after a year anyway. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

IMO Ballard wanted no part of a one year deal.  He found out that's why Jenkins coming.  Hopefully Hankins too. Just give him incentives.

With Poe signing, #Giants DT Jonathan Hankins is the best available DT. He still wants a big-$, multi-year deal. Hard to imagine that now

Hey guys. Newly signed up to the board but been lurking here for years. I wouldn't stress too much about this. As much as I (and most of us) wanted Poe, the writing was on the wall the moment we all learned that he left without a contract and was mainly looking at 1 year deals. We knew we did not want a one year deal. So unless our long term deal pushed into B.Williams territory, we had to know we were going to be on the short end of the stick here. I am fine w him going elsewhere if he is only looking for a year. I personally do not want a guy who comes here for a year to build themselves up only to leave or hold us hostage a year later. Maybe it is better off that we don't pay big money on a run stopper when we can pay considerably less for a guy like Jenkins. I'd love Hankins too, but if he wants a big long term deal he is probably not in the cards either. Unless he will accept a multi-year deal in the 6-8 mill per range. Anyhow, glad to finally be on board here to go back and forth w other Colts die-hards.

7 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I'd give him the multiyears tho. Don't want to see this one year crap on my team.

Hopefully he realizes his true "worth" now and runs with it 

Unless you think you have a legit shot at a SuperBowl I don't understand the one year deal for a team. It makes sense for Atlanta, none for Indy. Long term or nothing for me. 

Lets remember that our defense will be better then last years. Weve already infused younger guys into the lineup and we still have 7 picks in the frist 5 rounds of the draft which will be all defense +1 RB. With a little bit better play last year we would of won 3-4 more games so as of right now theres no need to panick what so ever. We will still be signing a couple guys in free agency. Hopefully Hankins and Brown, then re-sign Butler and were fine.

30 minutes ago, corgi said:

Unless you think you have a legit shot at a SuperBowl I don't understand the one year deal for a team. It makes sense for Atlanta, none for Indy. Long term or nothing for me. 

I don't know, he's had back issues.  If we would have signed him to a multi-year and it turns out that he gets hurt for an extended time, then we could end up with another Art Jones on our hands.

Moot point now. 

8 hours ago, GusBus24 said:

I still say Johnathan Hankins we need that BIG body

I hear he wants over 10 mil / yr - he's not getting it.

The market is drying / dried up.  for most everyone else here on out. Other teams told him what they would pay.  Now GM's aren't burning those phones up to FA's anymore.  Trust me, they're now on to scheduling pro days and fine tuning the draft board.  If someone (any FA) wants to ring back to a team they've already left and accept a previous offer, they may get it.  Or, it might be off the table now.  Who knows?  But a wrangling session of concessions to find middle ground is so highly unlikely now, and the lack of any team meeting the players expectations diminished his leverage at this point.  It is the way it is. 

Has Hankins been in and received an offer from us yet? If not, and he comes in, it won't be as high as he wants.  No leverage, no pressure.  we'll see.

Of course we have Monday morning GM's that would pay the man top dollar over other teams and maybe even players agents asking price just to secure him and get him in here and hang the 'trophy FA' up for everyone else to see.  Real GM's in the NFL don't seem to want to play that at this point.

Good luck Mr. Hankins on getting your long term >10 mil / yr deal...

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I don't know, he's had back issues.  If we would have signed him to a multi-year and it turns out that he gets hurt for an extended time, then we could end up with another Art Jones on our hands.

Moot point now. 

If I remember correctly, (and I make no promises of that)  I thought Superman had a post about a 1-year deal for Poe and why it would be good for the Colts.

I thought he said that we'd have a motivated Poe for one year....  and then, if he leaves,  we'd have a shot at a compensatory pick for the loss.       I'd be OK getting a compensatory draft pick.

Am I misremembering this?       Anyone?      Anyone at all......?

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I remember correctly, (and I make no promises of that)  I thought Superman had a post about a 1-year deal for Poe and why it would be good for the Colts.

I thought he said that we'd have a motivated Poe for one year....  and then, if he leaves,  we'd have a shot at a compensatory pick for the loss.       I'd be OK getting a compensatory draft pick.

That is correct.  Its a way of filling a hole this year and potentially getting a draft pick next year.

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Mo Claiborne is signing with the Jets. 

I doubt he was ever on our radar. I have always thought of him as a zone corner. He wouldn't fit what we do, and might even crap his pants the first time we left him on a island by himself. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I doubt he was ever on our radar. I have always thought of him as a zone corner. He wouldn't fit what we do, and might even crap his pants the first time we left him on a island by himself. 

He was a really good press man corner in college. I think he struggled so much in Dallas, because they ran/run a Tampa 2 and zone was never his strong suit.

His strengths from his NFL.com draft profile:

STRENGTHS

Claiborne is an aggressive cover man who likes to use his tall frame and long arms to get in receivers' faces, shock them at the line of scrimmage and disrupt their timing. When he punches, he makes his presence felt. He can run with his back to the ball at the receiver's hip using a press/bail technique and looks natural running with his man in-phase while still keeping an eye on the ball. Claiborne is such a gifted athlete with uncommon body control that he runs with his man fluidly up and down the field and still be able to break off at any time and get involved in plays coming across him.

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think he was on our radar either. I haven't heard of us meeting with any corners actually. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's the post: 

48 minutes ago, Shive said:

He was a really good press man corner in college. I think he struggled so much in Dallas, because they ran/run a Tampa 2 and zone was never his strong suit.

His strengths from his NFL.com draft profile:

Almost everyone was wrong about Claiborne. His draft profile is basically worthless. He never measured up to his draft spot. 

I dont see him as a man-to-man corner. The cowboys attempted to introduce more single high safety looks and their corners were not capable. That is why they don't want him back. 

12 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Almost everyone was wrong about Claiborne. His draft profile is basically worthless. He never measured up to his draft spot. 

I dont one see him as a man-to-man corner. The cowboys attempted to introduce more single high safety looks and their corners were not capable. That is why they don't want him back. 

Is it worthless or did the team that drafted him try to put a square peg in a round hole? It's not uncommon for a team to ruin a once highly touted prospect's career. It happens all the time by the wrong team taking the wrong player.

He was PFF's #9 CB last season and it was obvious he had finally put it all together. The only thing hampering him is his injury history. Dallas entered FA with next to no cap space, so there was no way they could afford to keep him after his breakout year.