Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Wow! I can't believe nobody else would better that.

53 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No way he accepts that. 

This really baffles me.  I can not believe we are not bringing him in.  Either Chris has another player he is going after, maybe trade or he is expecting someone to be released, or there is something about the player that he is not comfortable with.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This really baffles me.  I can not believe we are not bringing him in.  Either Chris has another player he is going after, maybe trade or he is expecting someone to be released, or there is something about the player that he is not comfortable with.

He wants 'upwards of 10M'.  He's finding out no one is biting.  What's his real value?  Maybe 8?

I have to wonder if they talked to Mewhort about him?  I wonder what he thinks.  

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No way he accepts that. 

I read that earlier and forgot to post it. From what the article said, the $4MM offer isn't necessarily what they think he's worth, just what they can afford to offer him, given how much the rest of their d-line is making.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Well we were said to have offered Poe about $10M+ including incentives so that says our GM would like to have a big fatty at NT and is willing to pay pretty darn well.
 Hankins wants more supposedly, so YOU can`t believe we haven`t offered more than that for Hankins? Hmmm!
  Guess you are pretty firm he is worth Big stud $$$.
 If you figure we will be throwing a lot of new guys together next season and will not really be any kind of contender, that big multi-year contract has to be Right 2,3... years down the road. We will see.  lol

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Hankins wants 10 Mill per year on a multi-year deal.

I suspect we've talked and there's just too big a gap to find common ground....

This happens when a player/agent have a dramatically different idea on what a player is worth....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hankins wants 10 Mill per year on a multi-year deal.

I suspect we've talked and there's just too big a gap to find common ground....

This happens when a player/agent have a dramatically different idea on what a player is worth....

True, that is a big gap.  One year at 4 mil ,which is being reported from the Giants, and 10 mil which is what he  wanted at the start of FA.  He certainly can't stand pat at 10 mil. Though, I have seen reports of him asking for 8 mil.  Sooner or later he has to realize he has a smaller market to choose from.  It's obvious we want a big NT to start and we are willing to offer a long term deal unlike the Giants.  Like I said in an earlier post, unless Ballard has something else up his sleeve, this could be just Chris waiting for him to realize we want him and we are his best option for a nice long term deal with guaranteed money and roster bonus.  Makes no sense to settle for a one year deal at 4 mil IMO. 

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

True, that is a big gap.  One year at 4 mil ,which is being reported from the Giants, and 10 mil which is what he  wanted at the start of FA.  He certainly can't stand pat at 10 mil. Though, I have seen reports of him asking for 8 mil.  Sooner or later he has to realize he has a smaller market to choose from.  It's obvious we want a big NT to start and we are willing to offer a long term deal unlike the Giants.  Like I said in an earlier post, unless Ballard has something else up his sleeve, this could be just Chris waiting for him to realize we want him and we are his best option for a nice long term deal with guaranteed money and roster bonus.  Makes no sense to settle for a one year deal at 4 mil IMO. 

From the article:

The Giants would like to re-sign free agent defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, but they’re unlikely to offer him anything more than a one-year, $4MM deal because of their lack of cap room, according to Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

This^^

It is pretty much just a waiting game right not because no NFL team is gonna bite at that ridiculous notion from Hankins' camp. GMs (hopefully ours) are probably just gonna wait till Hankins realizes he isn't going to get 10 million a year. I still am optimistic about our chances though I don't know how I feel about the guy now considering his opinion of himself and his own worth. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I hope you're right....   but since I haven't seen us linked to Hankins via any rumor or tweet,  I'm guessing he's going to keep looking for a few more days and then likely re-up with the NYG on a one year deal and try again for big money next year.

Just my hunch....    hope I'm wrong,   but it's hard to see this dragging out much longer...

22 minutes ago, masnerj said:

This^^

It is pretty much just a waiting game right not because no NFL team is gonna bite at that ridiculous notion from Hankins' camp. GMs (hopefully ours) are probably just gonna wait till Hankins realizes he isn't going to get 10 million a year. I still am optimistic about our chances though I don't know how I feel about the guy now considering his opinion of himself and his own worth. 

I am kind of optimistic but we really don't know where Chris stands on this.  I guess I can't fault him for feeling confident in his abilities and what he felt he was worth.  But the time has now come to face reality and get a long term deal done with some incentives.  I am not convinced going back to NY on a prove it deal is going to change things.  He's still stuck playing alongside Harrison and he's risking injury as well.  Makes more sense to join us on a long term deal and be one of the focal players.  I can't see this going on much longer though. 

I was thinking this a lot too. But i also think this is two-fold. CB is much more selective. And I think he is also being strict in setting his numbers. He wants a certain number of years at a minimum and he wants them at his price. I was hoping we would land some of these guys w some shorter term deals, but he wants the short term deals for the lesser talented guys or the older guys (i.e. Butler). I think most of the guys we all want are coming at values that CB wants locked in for multiple years and those guys are rightfully not wanting to lock in at discounted rates for multiple years. So i think our strategy has a disconnect w the market of the players we all want to get at the moment.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Looks like a 1 year deal for 4.5 million. I guess everyone wants a 1 year deal this offseason. 

I'm going to assume we wanted to do a multi-year deal and Minter wanted to bet on himself to get more next season. I don't like this trend...

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

we're not closing the deal like we use to 

I don't think its necessarily that. Most of the guys we went after and didn't sign ended up signing a 1 year deal, which seems to not be what we're looking to do.

Just now, Shive said:

I'm going to assume we wanted to do a multi-year deal and Minter wanted to bet on himself to get more next season. I don't like this trend...

One year deals are not worth it IMO. I would rather build some continuity with players and the system.  A depth player is one thing a starter is an entirely different matter. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

One year deals are not worth it IMO. I would rather build some continuity with players and the system.  A depth player is one thing a starter is an entirely different matter. 

I agree 100%. At this point, we're trying to build a solid foundation. One year deals do nothing to help that. All they do is allow the player to try to increase their value, which can sometimes be detrimental to the team if that player is only out for himself.

As a GM, I'm here to build a team, not help you get paid more by your next one.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sure seems like they have alienated a lot of teams.  Maybe it's his agent?  Who knows?

If his agent is the reason teams aren't willing to talk with him he needs to fire him fast.  I am surprised we have not been in the mention for him on a multi year deal worth like 5 or 6 mil a year.  This honestly helps us if we want him but there has to be some big issue that is not out there yet.  Giants have cap issues but no other team cares to talk with him?

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

If his agent is the reason teams aren't willing to talk with him he needs to fire him fast.  I am surprised we have not been in the mention for him on a multi year deal worth like 5 or 6 mil a year.  This honestly helps us if we want him but there has to be some big issue that is not out there yet.  Giants have cap issues but no other team cares to talk with him?

I agree.  For the life of me I don't understand why we haven't brought him in.  A deal full of incentives.  Something is holding us back.  All I can think of is that  we must have other plans that CB feels better about.  

32 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is more of what I'm thinking. I think the Giants have their low offer, but no other teams are approaching them because his agent is aiming so high. The Giants' lowball offer and lack of interest almost kills his leverage at this point. He needs to fire his agent or get him to change his tune before the Giants' offer is all they have left.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:48 PM, richard pallo said:

True, that is a big gap.  One year at 4 mil ,which is being reported from the Giants, and 10 mil which is what he  wanted at the start of FA.  He certainly can't stand pat at 10 mil. Though, I have seen reports of him asking for 8 mil.  Sooner or later he has to realize he has a smaller market to choose from.  It's obvious we want a big NT to start and we are willing to offer a long term deal unlike the Giants.  iiiiLike I said in an earlier post, unless Ballard has something else up his sleeve, this could be just Chris waiting for him to realize we want him and we are his best option for a nice long term deal with guaranteed money and roster bonus.  Makes no sense to settle for a one year deal at 4 mil IMO. 

He won't, if his agent has pull.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:22 PM, masnerj said:

He knows that in the secondary Free Agent market climate.  This is true.  His Agent and he know.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:43 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

Looks like a 1 year deal for 4.5 million. I guess everyone wants a 1 year deal this offseason. 

When  players start getting injured, his value will go up sharply! This won't be until OTA's and afterward...