Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Is it worthless or did the team that drafted him try to put a square peg in a round hole? It's not uncommon for a team to ruin a once highly touted prospect's career. It happens all the time by the wrong team taking the wrong player.

He was PFF's #9 CB last season and it was obvious he had finally put it all together. The only thing hampering him is his injury history. Dallas entered FA with next to no cap space, so there was no way they could afford to keep him after his breakout year.

The Cowboys drafted him to play man, and he did his rookie season. The next year they moved to a cover 2. He didn't shine in either defense. 

Many thought Dallas would trade him before his sophomore year, but they did not. They gave up a ransom to draft him. Ever look at the draft picks they traded to move up? At one time they were completely sold on him. Now they're not. What does that tell you?

So what is your stance? Does he play better in  zone or man? To me, he is a zone corner. Many people once thought he was a man corner, but I do not think that's the case anymore. 

I think it is pretty simple. He is just not as good as we thought he was. Not even close. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

The Cowboys drafted him to play man, and he did his rookie season. The next year they moved to a cover 2. He didn't shine in either defense. 

Many thought Dallas would trade him before his sophomore year, but they did not. They gave up a ransom to draft him. Ever look at the draft picks they traded to move up? At one time they were completely sold on him. Now they're not. What does that tell you?

So what is your stance? Does he play better in  zone or man? To me, he is a zone corner. Many people once thought he was a man corner, but I do not think that's the case anymore. 

I think it is pretty simple. He is just not as good as we thought he was. Not even close. 

I can agree that he isn't as good as we all thought coming out of college. They swapped 1st round picks and gave up a 2nd. I'd hardly call that a ransom...

Looking through his history, his biggest issue has been injuries keeping him out of training camp and some OTA's. He was thrown into the fire his rookie year without OTAs or training camp as the starting CB opposite Carr, then switched to a new scheme the next year.

My stance is that he has played best when he is in press man coverage. He showed it last season when covering OBJ, Alshon Jeffery, and AJ Green (to name a few). He still has a violent punch at the line and does a fantastic job staying hip-to-hip with WRs. He's done much better in zone coverage last year than previously, but I do feel that he has shined best when playing press man.

Some guys take a while to put everything together and are late bloomers. I really think his development was severely hampered by missing so much time, especially in the offseason. If he can stay on the field, he could be a top CB, but he hasn't shown the ability to do that yet..

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Per Rotoworld...

Seahawks are open to trading Richard Sherman

He's only 28 so it's not out of the question.  Would depend on the asking price, which I'd imagine will be fairly steep and not worth it.  I would love the prospects of a Sherman-Davis CB duo.  But that is likely just a wet dream.....

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

He's only 28 so it's not out of the question.  Would depend on the asking price, which I'd imagine will be fairly steep and not worth it.  I would love the prospects of a Sherman-Davis CB duo.  But that is likely just a wet dream.....

That would probably be the most physical CB duo ever haha 

For some reason I just thought about Davis hit on Gio Bernard in '14(?) that knocked Gio out of the game with broken ribs. One of my favorite plays. 

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

That would probably be the most physical CB duo ever haha 

For some reason I just thought about Davis hit on Gio Bernard in '14(?) that knocked Gio out of the game with broken ribs. One of my favorite plays. 

'Twas epic indeed!

9 hours ago, Shive said:

I can agree that he isn't as good as we all thought coming out of college. They swapped 1st round picks and gave up a 2nd. I'd hardly call that a ransom...

Ever noticed who was drafted with the first and second round picks that Dallas gave up for Claiborne?

I have no issues calling it a ransom. 

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Terrible fit for our scheme.

58 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Ever noticed who was drafted with the first and second round picks that Dallas gave up for Claiborne?

Michael Brockers and Alshon Jeffery. It's easy to say that now in hindsight, but Dallas moved up to get the CB that was supposed to be the best to come out of college in quite some time, which makes sense considering the need they had.

The RG3 trade is what I would call a ransom. You're looking at the number of picks given up and their overall value, not who was selected there. We have no clue who Dallas would have taken there or how they would have played. All we know is that they made a trade that was in line with the typical value of the pick they were moving up for.

28 minutes ago, Shive said:

Michael Brockers and Alshon Jeffery. It's easy to say that now in hindsight, but Dallas moved up to get the CB that was supposed to be the best to come out of college in quite some time, which makes sense considering the need they had.

The RG3 trade is what I would call a ransom. You're looking at the number of picks given up and their overall value, not who was selected there. We have no clue who Dallas would have taken there or how they would have played. All we know is that they made a trade that was in line with the typical value of the pick they were moving up for.

How about the Ricky Williams Trade Ditka Made

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Also, just checked that trade on the trade value chart. Dallas' picks were worth 1100 & 450 (1550), while the #6 pick was worth 1600. Thus, it was exactly what any team would have been expected to give up for that move.

19 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

How about the Ricky Williams Trade Ditka Made

That was a ransom and then some.

15 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

Was just about to post this. Still looking for a WR I take it. He is decent. 

13 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

not too familiar with him.

13 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who? ^^^ :scratch:

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Kamar Aiken is pretty solid, big too. Just had a down year though.

Makes me wonder about those rumors that CB doesn't want to re-sign Moncrief.

7 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

He's 6'2 215. Could be our #3 is Dorsett continues to struggle.

I think we are looking to address depth at WR so we wouldn't need to take one in the draft. Ballard is doing a great job IMO making sure we plug our depth chart with good competition for our starters and for the new crop of rookies. He has been harping on how he wants to add competition and I bet he doesn't want to just hand in starting spots to a ton of rookies. Make them work for it.

This way he can draft BPA and not worry that we might need a 3d/4th receiver and overdraft somebody because of it. This is the way I've always envisioned roster building working out - plug holes and increase depth and competition through FA, then draft best players in the draft so you'd have the best chance of hitting on real playmakers for the team, regardless of positions.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

The RGIII heist doesn't make what Dallas gave up less of a ransom.

I think you're picking at things to argue about here.

I am just going to agree to disagree and call it a day. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The RGIII heist doesn't make what Dallas gave up less of a ransom.

I think you're picking at things to argue about here.

I am just going to agree to disagree and call it a day. 

I wouldn't call fair trade value a ransom, but we'll definitely have to agree to disagree on this one.

3 minutes ago, That Guy said:

wth?!?

Wasn't this guy visiting us today?  Did they fax the contract to Lucas Oil for him to sign?

Fax machine was broken, and no one knows how to fix them anymore. Had to call an IT person from the government to take a look at it. Long story short; we are still on hold.

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Fax machine was broken, and no one knows how to fix them anymore. Had to call an IT person from the government to take a look at it. Long story short; we are still on hold.

PC Load Letter?  The hell does that mean?