Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowherd Says Hire Nick Saban And Give Him Complete Control / Could Nick Saban Depart for the NFL Next Year? (Merge)

presto123

Cowherd just talked about the Colts today and how he doesn't like the coach, GM, or even owner. He says the answer is to throw big money at Saban and give him complete control because the coaching pool of the NFL just isn't there at this point. He said Saban would be a better talent evaluator on the college level for the next 4 or 5 years. Thoughts?  I don't know how you ditch an owner, but maybe he thinks Irsay would be willing to step back on control. Of course this is the same Colin Cowherd who predicted the Colts would be 12-4 this season. I do think he has a point though. To get any of the college coach studs, you probably need to give them some extra incentive more than just a coaching job.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Absolutely not.  He's correct that Pagano, Grigson, and Irsay are problems.  But giving Saban complete control would be a huge mistake, in my opinion.  Saban is a college coach.  Let him stay in college.

Yes.  College control is so complete and overwhelming that it bears no resemblance to today's NFL. The only College coach that would make sense is the one who played and coached in or close to Super Bowl levels and that's Harbaugh, but I doubt within Luck's best window (now) of productivity he'll be available.  And we have no idea what his relationship was with Irsay.  Unless it was secretly great, it isn't happening. 

13 minutes ago, MTC said:

Even though I don't see him leaving Alabama, I would actually like the hiring. He would be a good tool for recruiting free agents and knows college prospects well. Plus, I'm sure he'll bring in good assistant coaches.

i would be OK with this.    Maybe not complete GM control.   Is there such a thing as partial GM control.  Maybe something like he has to agree with transactions.  We've seen complete control fail too many times. 

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

i would be OK with this.    Maybe not complete GM control.   Is there such a thing as partial GM control.  Maybe something like he has to agree with transactions.  We've seen complete control fail too many times. 

I'd give complete control of this team to Ronald McDonald if it meant that Grigson and Pagano would be fired immediately.

Neither are likely, but I would prefer harbaugh. He quickly turned around SF and took them to the super bowl plus he is does a terrific job with qbs. 

Saban would be an upgrade over Pagano but I still have questions. He is great college coach but even a better recruiter. His success at bama has been incredible but keep in mind they have arguably the most talented roster and recruiting classes every year. He walks into almost every game with a significant talent advantage. 

I do like that he has adapted his offense over the years. 

17 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I have been wanting that for 3 years lol.  Doubt it happens though...

Half this board would hate it because he's a meanie.

That's actually the one thing about him that I do like, he DEMANDS perfection on every snap. But every time I think of bringing in a college coach, I just can't help but think of Chip Kelly, and how awful his tenure in the NFL has been.

Irsay made a mistake giving the extensions, but he's not going anywhere and honestly, his thinking while it's ended up looking like a disaster now, wasn't totally wrong headed. Consistency isn't bad, it's just that were close to being consistently bad because these guys are kicking it into total reverse.

And even if Saban came I'm not sure he's the answer. 

The truth is this. We need some new blood. They don't need to be BB, but they need to be middle of the road to pretty good. With that kind of improvement, Luck will make up the difference. We just need to get rid of the people who designed this basement dweller. 

18 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's actually the one thing about him that I do like, he DEMANDS perfection on every snap. But every time I think of bringing in a college coach, I just can't help but think of Chip Kelly, and how awful his tenure in the NFL has been.

The vast majority if NFL coordinators fail too.  I don't see the difference.

21 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Neither are likely, but I would prefer harbaugh. He quickly turned around SF and took them to the super bowl plus he is does a terrific job with qbs. 

Saban would be an upgrade over Pagano but I still have questions. He is great college coach but even a better recruiter. His success at bama has been incredible but keep in mind they have arguably the most talented roster and recruiting classes every year. He walks into almost every game with a significant talent advantage. 

coaches who,have that kind of success always have a huge amount of talent. Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, etc...

I don't see why Saban would be interested in taking a demotion. He's already head coach of a team that's the perennial favorite to win a National Championship, he's paid more than most NFL head coaches, and he pretty much has "pick of the litter" every recruiting season. Plus he's already had a drink of the NFL Kool-Aid, and I think it left a bad taste in his mouth. Irsay would have to offer him "crazy money" and a guaranteed contract to get him out of Tuscaloosa. 

I think Harbaugh is more likely than Saban, and Harbaugh isn't likely at all. Saban has about as good a set-up in Tuscaloosa as you can get. Not sure why he would leave that for a team that needs probably at least a good 2-3 seasons before it seriously competes for a SB. Saban isn't a spring chicken. Really, the only chance is that he wants a Super Bowl to be considered one of the greatest football coaches, college or pro, to ever coach the game. Given how difficult it is to win a Super Bowl and Saban's age, I just don't see it.

28 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I agree 100%.

5 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I don't see why Saban would be interested in taking a demotion. He's already head coach of a team that's the perennial favorite to win a National Championship, he's paid more than most NFL head coaches, and he pretty much has "pick of the litter" every recruiting season. Plus he's already had a drink of the NFL Kool-Aid, and I think it left a bad taste in his mouth. Irsay would have to offer him "crazy money" and a guaranteed contract to get him out of Tuscaloosa. 

Yes, HTC is absolutely right Nick has the perfect situation in Alabama. Why would he ever leave there to start over from scratch? I agree 100%. I'd never leave Crimson Tide either, especially if I keep winning Championships & college kids are easier to manipulate & bend to your will then grow men with children & mortgages are. 

Plus, I don't get this obsession with Saban as an HC. DC sure. HC with a 2nd NFL opportunity no. SW1 isn't receptive to that at all. 

21 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The vast majority if NFL coordinators fail too.  I don't see the difference.

I'm not advocating hiring a coordinator either, so that's kind of my point. If we're not gonna trust a coordinator, someone with 5+ years of actual NFL experience, why would we want to give complete control to Nick Saban, who's short tenure in Miami was a complete disaster?

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, HTC is absolutely right Nick has the perfect situation in Alabama. Why would he ever leave there to start over from scratch? I agree 100%. I'd never leave Crimson Tide either, especially if I keep winning Championships & college kids are easier to manipulate & bend to your will then grow men with children & mortgages are. 

Plus, I don't get this obsession with Saban as an HC. DC sure. HC with a 2nd NFL opportunity no. SW1 isn't receptive to that at all. 

He's already making something in the $6mm per year bracket, and he's 65 years old, so I don't think he'd be interested in a DC job. I see him riding off into the sunset after a few more National Championships with the Tide and getting a bronze statue next to Bear Bryant's in Tuscaloosa. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I have been wanting that for 3 years lol.  Doubt it happens though...

Half this board would hate it because he's a meanie.

This is actually a valid point BOTT & the strongest argument 1 can make for hiring Saban to run the entire football program in INDY. Nick is a stern discipline guy &, while it is true that I have no idea how Pags motivates men behind closed doors or cracks the whip when it comes to cleaning up mistakes, soft is never an adjective a person would use to describe Saban's coaching style or platform. 

I just like coordinators & former coaches already working in the league right now that's all. Pete Carroll probably made the most seamless transition in recent yrs back into professional ball, but he's the example that defies the rule, which is extremely rare. Can't we pick a new HC not affiliated with Bill Belichick? Not referring to you specifically BOTT. Just that talent on the sideline can actually be found outside Foxbourgh, Massachusetts. 

Even I can't argue with Nick's level of success in college & yes, it is possible to have 1 bad tenure in the NFL learn from his Miami experience & improve, all that is a possibility. I just want a guy who already won rings on an NFL level & can clean up penalties which is why Tom Couglin is my guy. Plus, he knows how to slay the dragon: Tom Brady. 

9 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

He's already making something in the $6mm per year bracket, and he's 65 years old, so I don't think he'd be interested in a DC job. I see him riding off into the sunset after a few more National Championships with the Tide and getting a bronze statue next to Bear Bryant's in Tuscaloosa. 

Yeah, I know what you mean HTC. All I meant is that Saban preaches running the ball well & a stout defense that makes you earn every blade of grass you get as opposition. He's not ready to take over an NFL program completely IMO. Do we really want Chip Kelly The Philly yrs again? No. Look, I respect Nick's defensive mind & prowess. I truly do, but that's it. 

I concur. Saban would never come to INDY just to be DC. I know that.  Saban will remain in Alabama until he retires or literally drops dead from a heart attack I think. Another Joe Paterno without a sex scandal that tarnished his legacy that is. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean HTC. All I meant is that Saban preaches running the ball well & a stout defense that makes you earn every blade of grass you get as opposition. He's not ready to take over an NFL program completely IMO. Do we really want Chip Kelly The Philly yrs again? No. Look, I respect Nick's defensive mind & prowess. I truly do, but that's it. 

I concur. Saban would never come to INDY just to be DC. I know that.  Saban will remain in Alabama until he retires or literally drops dead from a heart attack I think. Another Joe Paterno without a sex scandal that tarnished his legacy that is. 

Lane Kiffin might make a decent HC some day, but his track record doesn't exactly recommend him yet. His gig with the Raiders was simply a matter of butting heads with Al Davis (and who didn't?), but he's had a lot of bumps in the road that were all on him.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

How is Nick Saban "not ready" to take over an NFL program? He has been an NFL head coach (better then people give him credit for) and is one of the most successful college coaches ever. 

Chip Kelly isn't close to being as good of a coach as Nick Saban. Just because he had success in college and not so successful in the pros gives no indication as to what Saban would do.

Pete Carroll had similar results as head coach of New York and New England as Saban did in Miami. Like Saban, Carroll went to college and dominated. He came back to the NFL and has been one of the best coaches in the league since. I have no doubt that Saban would do as good, probably better, if he returned to the NFL.

I just don't think Saban wants to return to the NFL.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Cowherd says a lot of dumb things.

Ya, first preface it with "I don't like any of them' and then advise them to spend a LOT of money and relinquish any say in the matter. Sounds like advice that someone who doesn't like you would give.......and not pandering at all..........

13 minutes ago, ar7 said:

How is Nick Saban "not ready" to take over an NFL program? He has been an NFL head coach (better then people give him credit for) and is one of the most successful college coaches ever. 

Chip Kelly isn't close to being as good of a coach as Nick Saban. Just because he had success in college and not so successful in the pros gives no indication as to what Saban would do.

Pete Carroll had similar results as head coach of New York and New England as Saban did in Miami. Like Saban, Carroll went to college and dominated. He came back to the NFL and has been one of the best coaches in the league since. I have no doubt that Saban would do as good, probably better, if he returned to the NFL.

I just don't think Saban wants to return to the NFL.

Do you remember the disaster Saban was in Miami ar7? Because I sure do. And let's not forget how he lied to the Florida media & Dolphins ownership that he was committed to wining for the Fins & jumped ship back to college shall we? When you lie to my face & run, I never let that nonsense go. I can forgive, but I never forget. Saban's reputation will never recover from that no matter how many college championships he wins. 

Now, in the interest of fairness, I'm still upset at Pete Carroll for running to the Pacific NW to avoid USC sanctions that Pete knew were headed his way & he fled to avoid the fallout as well. Pete knew exactly what he did & he refused to face the music like a man too. 

Nick Saban is a fraud coach to me. A coach that is a great recruiter and can coach NFL ready talent at the college level to beat other teams with talent 1/10 as good as his. If he coached a team in the pros today, he couldn't recruit 10 first round picks to join his team, in fact, he'd be at a much more level playing field if not at a disadvantage. That's where he'd get exposed. His little 85 bears strategy won't work in the pros just running it down the middle every play. He'd be just as bad for Luck as Pagano is, for different reasons though.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nick Saban is a fraud coach to me. A coach that is a great recruiter and can coach NFL ready talent at the college level to beat other teams with talent 1/10 as good as his. If he coached a team in the pros today, he couldn't recruit 10 first round picks to join his team, in fact, he'd be at a much more level playing field if not at a disadvantage. That's where he'd get exposed. His little 85 bears strategy won't work in the pros just running it down the middle every play. He'd be just as bad for Luck as Pagano is, for different reasons though.

Could you imagine Nick Saban coaching a game against Belichick? His head would literally explode with frustration.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Could you imagine Nick Saban coaching a game against Belichick? His head would literally explode with frustration.

It would be interesting. Belichick is 10X the coach Saban is. If Saban was the coach of the Bengals or something and exploited a weakness, he might be able to stand a chance with such a well-rounded team. If he was coaching us though, I think he would do a ground and pound strategy and not use Luck to his full potential. Something similar to Pagano, albeit with slightly better results. The positive thing I would say about Saban though, is he'd make a conscious effort to improve the O-Line and Defense. I would still worry about how Luck would be used though.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I believe Saban already said last year that he has zero intentions of coaching in the NFL. He's got a winning Alabama team, his family is there, friends are there, he's content with that.

When he was with the dolphins he said in his prssr  that he would not be the coach of Alabama. 24 hours later he was the coach of Alabama.

I would not be against him coming to the Colts, infact  I would be pleased. However, I prefer Harbaugh first OR Meyer second.

But when you currently have griggs & pagano you shouldn't be too greedy Haha.